• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

tiijj

So I tell them that I use Nintendo AC. How can they verify this??

They can't that's what he/she meant. You literally have to tell them that you used a 3rd party AC adapter.

Like "Hi, I used a 3rd party AC adapter on my new 3ds, so the warranty is void, here's my credit card. You can charge me for the repair"

You guys are aware that virtually every product has a thing in the warranty where the warranty is void due to damage from products that either aren't manufactured by the company that made the product or aren't licensed by them?

This isn't exclusive to the New 3DS or even Nintendo as a whole.

I'm probably going to upgrade my microSD card. I've got the tiny 4GB card and want to go 32+. Few questions!

1) Is there any reason not to go 64GB? Do you lose access speed by formatting to FAT32?

2) How easy is it to swap cards and transfer the current data to the new card? Is it as easy as drag and drop on the PC?

TBH, it will be impossible to ever fill that thing up. You don't need it.

I just installed a 16GB Samsung Exo UHS-I MicroSD card in my New 3DS and that thing has 99,999+ blocks on it to use. It's ridiculously awesome!

By the way, use this formatter for the new card and future SD cards from now on. Apparently it preserves a special section on the SD card that helps with transfer speed. ;)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Man I regret getting the new 3DS XL so far... the 3D manages to be worse, I had to turn off the auto-brightness, etc... wish they had at least the normal sized one in the US =/....

I have a question. My nephew is very young and damanged to top faceplate of my black new 3DS.

Is it possible to buy anywehre at nintendo a replacement of the DEFAULT/factory faceplates ?

(Morevover, on a side note, I noticed that the packed in faceplate of the black modl at least is very prone to scratching.)

LayLa

finally got my first batch of cover plates through from amazon.jp, looks so much better than the default plates
tv9QjBz.jpg

Rocky

Banned
It's not like there's any way for Nintendo to know that you used one.

Don't be so sure. PC Motherboards "talk" their power supplies to get voltage readings and such. So Nintendo could easily have something in their proprietary power port that receives a little snippet of data telling it if its official or not.

I went a little crazy buying games...

Am I missing anything from my mini collection so far?

Anything I'm missing out on?
Ocarina of Time 3D sticks out.
If you like RPGs and Animal Crossing, then Fantasy Life is the shit.

finally got my first batch of cover plates through from amazon.jp, looks so much better than the default plates
Agreed. I am suppose to get the wooden one today, so I am excited.

We need a thread for accessories for the regular sized New Nintendo 3DS.

There's no cases, no screen protectors, nothing for it.
I can add those to the customization thread if people want. Cases definitely, but screen protectors IDK.
You can try searching "New 3DS LL" in Google. Funny thing is if you look at the Persona Q CE, the case has LL printed in it. Ha ha.

(Morevover, on a side note, I noticed that the packed in faceplate of the black modl at least is very prone to scratching.)

Yes, my standard black, rear faceplate already has a scratch. And I treat it very carefully too! Default covers are very prone to scratching.

Yes, my standard black, rear faceplate already has a scratch. And I treat it very carefully too! Default covers are very prone to scratching.
It is a bit odd how poor the material for the default plates are considering the matte covers plates released are pretty scratch resistant. Guess they wanted you to replace the default cover.

I got my lovely felt cover plate in the mail from AmiAmi today :) Really love it, it feels great!
I got the same one as well. Doesn't it feel great on your hands?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've been playing the crap out of my Monster Hunter 4 new 3ds XL, best gaming purchase in a long, long time.

Right? The difference between the N3DSXL and the old 3DSXL is huge. The framerate, performance, and overall responsiveness of the system is leagues ahead of the old model.

Also, thanks for the info on the mSD cards. I'll order a 32GB and call it a day.

That policy likely applies to most devices. It's something i always see warnings about. Doesn't help that Nintendo refused to include one though.
Yeah, cannot fault them for standard policy, but the difference is most other companies include a charger because of that. Not even a coupon is lame.

Anyways, checked on my import...
24 février 2015, 02:41, --- Problème résolu et expédition en transit
17 février 2015, 15:15, Surrey Scan de départ

Finally shipped across the ocean. March cannot get here soon enough!

Enjoying this thing so far. My kid already had Kirby, I picked up Animal Crossing and used my Club points to download Mario 3D Land. All good stuff.

Really wish they could streamline the design of the system a little more, make it lighter and a little less bulky. But overall it's a nice improvement from the last time I had a 3DS.

Forgot how addicting Animal Crossing is.
The thing is they done that via regular n3DS, but NoA decided we didn't deserve it.

Vyer

Enjoying this thing so far. My kid already had Kirby, I picked up Animal Crossing and used my Club points to download Mario 3D Land. All good stuff.

Really wish they could streamline the design of the system a little more, make it lighter and a little less bulky. But overall it's a nice improvement from the last time I had a 3DS.

Forgot how addicting Animal Crossing is.

Grave

Neo Member
That's awesome! How happy are you with the charging dock? Does it have a decent weight to it? I've been considering the LL version, but I have a cat and he's... less than respectful with things on shelves. Granted, I have a Wii U charging dock in a drawer, I could stick it in there too. I guess the question is, does it tip over easily or would it need a good push?

Right? The difference between the N3DSXL and the old 3DSXL is huge. The framerate, performance, and overall responsiveness of the system is leagues ahead of the old model.

Also, thanks for the info on the mSD cards. I'll order a 32GB and call it a day.
Absolutely. Loading in MH4 is crazy fast thanks to what I assume is the CPU upgrade, I keep the 3D fully cranked up because it remains stable no matter how much I move around, and the control nub allows me to keep my sights on the monsters without much effort. It's an awesome piece of hardware.

Jinjo

I got my lovely felt cover plate in the mail from AmiAmi today :) Really love it, it feels great!

DSCN1306_zpslkkjdiwa.jpg

DSCN1308_zpsob25kyxt.jpg

DSCN1307_zps7ntfrr43.jpg

DSCN1309_zpsuv0tbiuu.jpg

Damn that looks so cool. No more smudges too. You can only get this in Japan/through AmiAmi? Still undecided if I go XL or regular.

That's awesome! How happy are you with the charging dock? Does it have a decent weight to it? I've been considering the LL version, but I have a cat and he's... less than respectful with things on shelves. Granted, I have a Wii U charging dock in a drawer, I could stick it in there too. I guess the question is, does it tip over easily or would it need a good push?
It is very light, at least the regular one is. I assume the LL model is as well.
Also yeah Cover Plate No. 12 is Japan-only so far. EU got the wood version.

LayLa

The charging dock is bit disappointing compared to the previous one. It's ok in terms of balance but it is far too light and it's a tight fit, when I go to pick up my n3ds I have to hold the base to make sure that I don't lift the whole thing up.

Debs

I got the same one as well. Doesn't it feel great on your hands?

Yea :) It feels lovely, I wouldn't want a plastic cover again after having this one.

Damn that looks so cool. No more smudges too. You can only get this in Japan/through AmiAmi? Still undecided if I go XL or regular.

Yes it's only available from Japan at the moment, AmiAmi is the cheapest place to get it I think, they have 15% off right now.

I went a little crazy buying games...

Am I missing anything from my mini collection so far?

zGerGFF.jpg

Not shown: Cave Story 3D.

It was a pain in the ass getting some games there below retail but I found games/coupons to trade with.

Anything I'm missing out on?

Kid Icarus: Uprising and Animal Crossing: New Leaf are two excellent games! Picking up a Pokemon game would be a solid addition as well!

EDIT: Didn't even see you have Soul Silver. Well once you finish that I would recommend grabbing a 3DS Pokemon game. The graphical leap is pretty impressive.

Jinjo

Yea :) It feels lovely, I wouldn't want a plastic cover again after having this one.

Yes it's only available from Japan at the moment, AmiAmi is the cheapest place to get it I think, they have 15% off right now.

Do you have a direct link to the cover?

Also, how does the regular N3DS screen stack up to the old 3DS XL, is it a lot smaller?

Pachimari

The charging dock is bit disappointing compared to the previous one. It's ok in terms of balance but it is far too light and it's a tight fit, when I go to pick up my n3ds I have to hold the base to make sure that I don't lift the whole thing up.
That's super disappointing to hear, especially now that I have one on the way.

DSCN1306_zpslkkjdiwa.jpg

DSCN1308_zpsob25kyxt.jpg

DSCN1307_zps7ntfrr43.jpg

DSCN1309_zpsuv0tbiuu.jpg

Is it this one from AmiAmi?

Also, how does the regular N3DS screen stack up to the old 3DS XL, is it a lot smaller?
A bit smaller, but not that much really to notice. Definitely does not strain your eyes like the OG 3DS did. The regular model is somewhere between the 2.
It is my favorite SKU out of the 2. Which is a shame NA only gets XL, which having an old XL I feel no need to upgrade.

Concerning upgrading SD cards, since it's been a long time, to upgrade the default one you just pop it out copy the files to the new DS and then put it back in the 3DS and everything is cherry right?

Pachimari

Just picked up mine as well.

And I am not too impressed. Pure plastic. Super light-weight. Just like the OG 3DS craddle but that one would at least let the device lie down. This one you actually have to put in place until it's standing correctly to charge.

Debs

This is it :) http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...words=3ds+plate$pagemax=40$getcnt=0$pagecnt=1

I've never owned a XL but from the ones I've seen I wouldn't say it's a lot smaller. The regular N3DS is a nice size and the screens are a little bigger than the original 3DS.

Is it this one from AmiAmi?

Yes thats the one :)

samn

I went from old XL to n3DS, yes it is a fair bit smaller but I don't notice it during use at all. It feels like a really good size. I can see everything clearly, and it's comfy to hold even with my big hands.

Peru

Went from XL to regular N3DS. It is a lot smaller, although I haven't thought about it while gaming.

I went from old XL to n3DS, yes it is a fair bit smaller but I don't notice it during use at all. It feels like a really good size. I can see everything clearly, and it's comfy to hold even with my big hands.
It also does not cause eye strain, which is the biggest issue I had with the OG 3DS.
Pretty much the regular new 3DS is the perfect handheld. new XL is nice for home use, but I rather not travel daily with it.

DrFurbs

Guys. I'm trying to recover my wife's Nintendo id. I went to their website and put in her birthday and miiverse as indicated in the 3ds miiverse but it says there is no such thing.

What can I do?

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
I've been on the hunt for a case/pouch to hold my monster hunter 3ds xl while not in use and came across this but i'm very skeptical about ordering it.

Has anyone ordered this from amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E94MQ7I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It looks like a nice carrying case to throw in a bag, but i'm very skeptical because of the listed shipping options. They each say that there is no tracking number and no "insurance" (whatever that means). Also it says that you should get it in 30-50 days.

I'm very much on the fence regarding a purchase. Any thoughts? Should I just go for it? I assume that even though the shipping says "no insurance" that Amazon should still have my back if it turns out that it never gets delivered. But the combination of that, plus the no tracking number thing just doesn't feel right

DagsJT

I went from an OG XL, to an N3DS, to a N3DS XL. I just couldn't take the drop in screen size especially on Monster Hunter.

Top Bottom