• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

tiijj

Ya now look at this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RZ7TC82/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Notice it also says 3DS on it yet it states it fits the XL as well. That's what has me confused.

There's no "new" as well LOL.

Now that I think about it, technically the smaller one will fit so it's not really wrong LOL.

They are different from the japanese model.

The amazon.com one looks like it has a stylus and six cart slot while the japanese one only has three and it's different.

wmcKxs7.jpg

CRA5H

Haha ya true. I really want to know if there is a slight difference in the size for both of these XL cases since the n3DSXL is bigger by a couple millimeters.

Ive read some people say the n3DSXL is a little snug in the old XL case. Imagine having the clear case on the new XL as well.

samn

How do DS games look on n3DS and n3DS XL? Both upscaled and in 1:1 mode.

I tried all the modes on an OG XL and an n3DS.

XL stretched - blurry and ugly

XL 1:1 - good

n3DS stretched - surprisingly fine, still a little blur

n3DS 1:1 - even more surprisingly, this is still very clear and playable. I tried Meteos and was able to manipulate the blocks easily, and read the small text on the UI at the side. After a few minutes I didn't feel hindered by or notice the smaller size.

dedhead54

I went a little crazy buying games...

Am I missing anything from my mini collection so far?

zGerGFF.jpg

Not shown: Cave Story 3D.

It was a pain in the ass getting some games there below retail but I found games/coupons to trade with.

Anything I'm missing out on?

So, this post inspired me to order Chrono Trigger DS from Amazon. It'll be here tomorrow and I am excited to play (and hopefully complete) my first JRPG. I owned Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia, and FFX but I just never got in to them like I thought I would. I was young at the time. Grandia II probably got the most play time. I actually didn't even know Chrono Trigger had been re-released on DS, so as soon as I saw that picture I decided to give it a go. I've heard so much praise towards the game over the years.

Purchasing this N3DSXL is doing great things for me, as a gamer. I suddenly want to play games/genres that I never really have given a shot before. It is an extremely refreshing feeling. Glad I ever started reading this thread about two weeks back, because that's all it took to get me very, very interested.

Glad to hear that you can play DS games in 1:1 on the XL and they look good.

Remk

So with the lack of availabity, system transfer and having to purchase a screwdriver to.get all my stuff running, I'd say this system upgrade was not a pleasant one.

But... The new 3D effect is great and the system feels much nicer and playing the Sega 3D classics is great.

Very happy with my new red unit, and hey I learned about screwdriver sizes :p

My imported New 3DS finally arrived from Europe! :D

I love the system overall, it feels so nice.

One thing about the super stable 3D—does the screen kind of "flicker" for anyone else when they move around? I can't quite describe it but it kind of hurts my eyes. I've been using 3D on the OG 3DS for years.

samn

My imported New 3DS finally arrived from Europe! :D

I love the system overall, it feels so nice.

One thing about the super stable 3D—does the screen kind of "flicker" for anyone else when they move around? I can't quite describe it but it kind of hurts my eyes. I've been using 3D on the OG 3DS for years.

Yeah I get that flicker, especially on the system menu. In some games it is unnoticeable. If it bothers you, you may want to play with the super stable 3D calibration setting.

Yeah I get that flicker, especially on the system menu. In some games it is unnoticeable. If it bothers you, you may want to play with the super stable 3D calibration setting.

I've played with the calibration a ton and I can't for the life of me figure out if it's actually doing anything or if it's my imagination. It certainly doesn't make the flicker go away.

Does anyone know what the calibration is actually doing. The System Menu suggests that you should try calibrating because "everyone sees 3D differently," but I can't imagine what that means...

I've played with the calibration a ton and I can't for the life of me figure out if it's actually doing anything or if it's my imagination. It certainly doesn't make the flicker go away.

Does anyone know what the calibration is actually doing. The System Menu suggests that you should try calibrating because "everyone sees 3D differently," but I can't imagine what that means...

From what I heard in several topics, the following questions might help you figure out what's wrong:

In what kind of lighting conditions are you playing?
How far do you hold your device? 30cm away is around the optimal position.
Do you wear glasses? If so, do they have anti-reflection coating?
Do you have hair partially hiding your face?

From what I heard in several topics, the following questions might help you figure out what's wrong:

No to every one of those (well, lighting conditions isn't a yes or no question, but I've played with that a ton as well and I don't think it makes any difference), except that I DO wear glasses and they DON'T have anti-reflective coating.

I suspect that is part of the problem, but I can't really do much about it. I won't be getting new lenses for a while, and besides, the reason I stopped using anti-reflective coating is because doing so helps prevent scratches.

That said, I think the flickering is still there when I take off my glasses as well—although I can't tell for sure because I can't really see without them.

The thing is, you're supposed to hold the system still when calibrating the 3D, so I'm not sure that's what's being changed anyway...

I would say the calibration needs to know where you stand to send you the correct 3D images. If this calibration is off compared to the tracking, you would have this flickering at all times.

Check my PM ;)

overcast

I'm sure it's been asked many times, but is there a way to get my Nintendo ID if I do not have my old XL? Brother took it and sold it, so I have no way to get it back.

Naw. I'm fucked. So my Wii U ID and 3DS one will just be forever separate?

Not a big deal because I didn't have any digital games.

If the 3DS had your NNID linked then it doesn't matter that you don't have the serial number. Just the NNID should be enough to find it and it helps that you have a Wii U with it as well. Call Nintendo and they'll help you out :)

Ok so I decided to go with importing a regular EU New 3ds, which should arrive tomorrow so I have a couple of questions.

Which EU location would be best for me to use with the eshop? Im in the US and want to use a US card to buy stuff, whats the best (cheapest) option for me? Want to buy MH4U and Majoras Mask.

Also, If I have to return the system for any reason, how does that work? I imported from amazon.fr, never imported anything before this. Is it pretty much the same as returning something in the US?

ColEx

I didn't know my serial number for my old XL that I sold, still managed to get my NNID unlinked. I should add i was still using that same NNID with my Wii U which I mentioned to Nintendo cs over the phone, not sure if that helped me or not, but they fixed it fast. Got all my eshop games back!

CRA5H

I was playing smash earlier for a couple hours. After I was done, I remembered that Smash 3DS was the culprit for a lot of broken circle pads. Should I be worried if I plan to play Smash often in the long run?

Just ordered a New 3DS XL with charger on Best Buy. I'm a new 3DS owner... I've never even played a DS or 3DS.

So, my question is, what games should I pick up? I've already ordered Pokemon Y and Fire Emblem Awakening and plan to get A Link Between Worlds. Which others should I check out?

Wow, lots of possibilities here. Okay. Here's some ideas to get you started:

DS:
The World Ends With You
Chrono Trigger

3DS:
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Pokemon X, Y, Ruby, or Sapphire
Pushmo
Smash Bros.
Kid Icarus Uprising

That should keep you busy...until 2020.

Anyone here in the US familiar with how Amazon UK works..I was supposed to receive the New Nintendo 3DS XL Charging Cradle but it never arrived, no way to track it..did an online chat with amazon UK and they refunded my money but Im still hoping that I receive the charging cradle..I told them I would let them know if it arrives now its no longer available on their site so not sure if I dont receive it where I can get it from so frustrating

Anyone here in the US familiar with how Amazon UK works..I was supposed to receive the New Nintendo 3DS XL Charging Cradle but it never arrived, no way to track it..did an online chat with amazon UK and they refunded my money but Im still hoping that I receive the charging cradle..I told them I would let them know if it arrives now its no longer available on their site so not sure if I dont receive it where I can get it from so frustrating
I am a bit stressed as well. To be fair though, it is an estimate so it might gotten delayed. Amazon France threw in a tracking number. Screw you Amazon UK!

So I'm thinking of picking up Kid Icarus Uprising for free from Club Nintendo, but I'm worried about how it'll play on a n3DS XL without a stand. Has anyone tried and can give me feedback on if this is doable or an unplayable hand cramp?

WillyFive

So I'm thinking of picking up Kid Icarus Uprising for free from Club Nintendo, but I'm worried about how it'll play on a n3DS XL without a stand. Has anyone tried and can give me feedback on if this is doable or an unplayable hand cramp?

I played it on a regular 3DS XL without the stand, never felt the need to use it. I don't really even see how it could be useful to the game, you still have to use the stylus in the same way and have your hands set in the same way to play the game.

The stand was a nice place to leave my 3DS to charge, though.

I am a bit stressed as well. To be fair though, it is an estimate so it might gotten delayed. Amazon France threw in a tracking number. Screw you Amazon UK!

The lady did refund my money on it(Cost 20 dollars US) but still, would be nice if it actually arrived..said estimated delivery of today Wednesday February 23rd and nothing arrived..had no idea how to even look for it, USPS, fed ex, UPS, Im not familiar with how they work..she said that even though she refunded my money that if the package did NOT get lost I will still receive it, just not sure when..she was going to order me another one on their site and give me the fastest shipping but because its not available on amazon uk anymore she couldnt do it

I found it unplayable without the stand... just being honest :/

WillyFive

Is the DS version of Super Mario 64 any good? Or am I better off getting the Wii VC version?

The DS version has more content, but the game was meant to be played with an analog stick; and the DS version does not support it. It may "feel" like it supports it on 3DS, but it's still an entirely digital control system, and the game suffers and plays a lot slower and stiffer because of it. Also, sound quality is worse and textures are not filtered, so a lot of the game looks pixelated unlike the N64 original; not sure if that matters to you.

Ac30

I played it with the stylus on my old 3DSXL and had a blast. I even managed 1-2 hour sessions, but others hate the controls; the game itself is awesome and the 3D effects are wonderful.

00152.jpg

This worked for me. It's not as uncomfortable as it may look, your pinky acts as support and I was able to hold it without issue for long periods of time.

CRA5H

I picked it up on club Nintendo recently for my n3DSXL so I've never used the stand. In my short play through, I really enjoyed it! Use your right pinky to help hold it up while using the stylus in case you get tired.

CRA5H

Is it bad if the shoulder buttons are being pressed in while in the case due to fit or even gravity making it press into the side of my case?

Nori Chan

Sooo I've been unscrewing the new 3ds' screws for the last 5 minutes not realizing they don't completely come off.

derp lol. hopefully i wasn't the only one that had this happen to them

ctfg23

On the new 3ds do you just hold start to get it in DS native mode?
Hold Start or Select, either one works.
The DS version has more content, but the game was meant to be played with an analog stick; and the DS version does not support it. It may "feel" like it supports it on 3DS, but it's still an entirely digital control system, and the game suffers and plays a lot slower and stiffer because of it. Also, sound quality is worse and textures are not filtered, so a lot of the game looks pixelated unlike the N64 original; not sure if that matters to you.
I'll go with the virtual console version then. Thanks.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Plan on getting one today, assuming they are easily findable.

Transfer question (I am using that Google Forms doc set up in the OP... kind of cool of you to do that), but I'm still unsure.

I basically have 2 SD cards with different games on them from my original 3DS.
For the transfer, can I do one and then the other?

I intend to go full Wireless Transfer. I just wasn't sure if you could do it twice.
Getting my save files over to the New 3DS is primary, and then a few games secondary. I doub't I could fit it all, I think the SD cards are 2 and 4gig each.

Anyone know?
About to do a transfer and if I can only do it once im pretty torn on which SD Card to transfer

Vena

Anyone know?
About to do a transfer and if I can only do it once im pretty torn on which SD Card to transfer

Move the license only, and do the PC transfer method then put all the SD card data on one mSD card. The license transfer will take ~10-20 minutes, do the rest on the PC and then just plop the card in the mSD.

Just got a red one today, What games should I pick up. I only go Super Smash Bros.

Games I loved:

3rd Party -

Resident Evil Revelations
Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D
Castlevania - Lord of Shadow: Mirror of Fate
Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy
Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D
Dead or Alive Dimensions
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Need for Speed The Run
Cave Story 3D
Kingdom Hearts DDD
Bravely Default
Skylanders Spyros Adventure
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Persona Q Shadow of Labyrinth
Final Fantasy Theatrhythm Curtain Call
Professor Layton X Phoenix Wright

First Party -

Super Mario 3D Land
Mario Kart 7
Fire Emblem Awakening
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Kid Icarus Uprising
Pokemon X
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
Animal Crossing New Leaf
LoZ A Link Between Worlds
LoZ Ocarina of Time 3D
LoZ Majoras Mask 3D
Mario Golf World Tour
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

Eshop-

Harmo knight
Rusty Real Deal Baseball
Sakura Samurai
Pushmo
Mighty Switch Force

There's a lot more, those are just off the top of my head

I have been using Auto-Brightness for a while to see how bad it is like people have been saying, and oddly...it doesn't randomly change my brightness. It only occurs when my room is dark and the only light would be coming from my laptop nearby. I won't use it much since it likely drains the battery faster, but I honestly expected worse from it.

jaosobno

So, I finally got my N3DS XL (black) and here are my short impressions:

1. The unit itself looks beautiful. I love the fact that the color is more grey than black. Gloss finish looks classy, but it's kinda fingerprint magnet (if you care about such things - I don't). The build quality is great. Now that I have it, I understand how completely irrelevant SNES buttons are - you simply don't notice buttons when playing a game, so investing in a smaller unit for that reason is pointless (IMO). But, if you prefer portability, XL is definitely not pocket friendly (unless you wear cargo pants or carry a bag all the time) due to its size.

2. Screens are huge for someone coming from NDS Lite, but in the best way possible. I was pondering whether I should get the regular size, and I'm glad I went with XL. I played MH4 demo and I can't understand how anyone can play that game on a smaller screen. Same goes for Smash Bros.

3. If you have big hands like me, go with XL. I read that some people with big hands find regular one perfectly comfortable, but now that I've tried the unit myself, I find such claims baffling. The ergonomics are perfect and my hands would definitely cramp if I went with the smaller unit.

4. Super Stable 3D looks amazing. This is my first 3DS, but I've tried OG in a shop before and I remember that I was quite underwhelmed by 3D. Finding sweetspot was annoying and if I ever owned OG or OGXL, I'd probably play with 3D off. On N3DS, it's quite different, so I play with 3D constantly set to ON. There is some small flickering involved when you move your head, but it's nothing annoying or too noticeable. Best 3D effect I've seen so far is in Zelda: ALBTW.

5. C-stick works incredibly well. It's easy to use and more precise than I expected. Definite game changer for games like Monster Hunter. I fought 2 demo bosses and never used Monster lock-on. Didn't feel the need.

6. OS is quite nice and snappy, although eshop takes some time to load (I also received some error codes when trying to enter yesterday).

I'm absolutely loving this thing. It's comfortable, large screens are great, it's a definite upgrade over the old version. I've also noticed one thing; Youtube makes every 3DS game look crappy. When you play games on the actual device they look MUCH better.. I noticed this the most in Zelda and MH4.

samn

3. If you have big hands like me, go with XL. I read that some people with big hands find regular one perfectly comfortable, but now that I've tried the unit myself, I find such claims baffling. The ergonomics are perfect and my hands would definitely cramp if I went with the smaller unit.

I thought that too when I held my OG XL, until I actually tried the n3DS. It's really nice in the hand.

Bulbasaur

Banned
This process is causing me drama. I used the nintendo recommended program to reformat my micro sd card yet when I go to do the transfer It says it's unable to access it.

Anybody have any advice?

Omikaru

Thinking I might grab a New 3DS in black today or tomorrow. What's the verdict from people who have upgraded from an XL to a regular-sized n3DS?

Bulbasaur

Banned
Thinking I might grab a New 3DS in black today or tomorrow. What's the verdict from people who have upgraded from an XL to a regular-sized n3DS?

Feels strange at first but overall I prefer the sharper screen and the small size. Also do not underestimate faceplates!

Omikaru

Feels strange at first but overall I prefer the sharper screen and the small size. Also do not underestimate faceplates!
Sharper screen is the main motivation for me. I loved the XL when I got it, but I'm finding I'm not enjoying it much after getting a retina iPad Air 2 and iPhone 5c, so even slightly more sharpness is a plus.

Also, I'm a sucker for green things, so the faceplates are probably going to seal the deal.

DagsJT

I did that and then bought a new XL. The screen is nice and sharp but still too small so I ended up getting an XL again.

Top Bottom