• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

I've got the Hori case coming, will have room for games in it.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00NFCCU62/

iO433R2.jpg

It absolutely does fit! I manage to put my new 3ds xl, inside of a club nintendo pouch, inside the Persona Q case no problem.
It does "fit" but the shoulder buttons are pressed down in the case. Don't know if that's a issuse in the long run but I do not like it.

Jayne

It does "fit" but the shoulder buttons are pressed down in the case. Don't know if that's a issuse in the long run but I do not like it.

Odd. mine seems to have ample room on the top and the case only barely seems to touch my shoulder buttons at all!
9d2db6a21a.jpg

Though, I see how if it did it could be worrisome. But like I said, I can even manage to get mine inside the Persona Q case while it's also inside the US clubnintendo pouch, without feeling like it's too much of a squeeze.

Chorazin

Odd. mine seems to have ample room on the top and the case only barely seems to touch my shoulder buttons at all!
9d2db6a21a.jpg

Though, I see how if it did it could be worrisome. But like I said, I can even manage to get mine inside the Persona Q case while it's also inside the US clubnintendo pouch, without feeling like it's too much of a squeeze.

Mine fits into the PQ case exactly the same. It's perfect for it!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I ordered some thumb straps to play Kid Icarus with, and wow... The difference is huge. I can finally comfortably play this game. I have to fiddle around more to get the perfect sensitivity settings, but this is how I'll be playing this from now on. I'm having a lot of fun with the game. Only at stage 8, but it's a pretty sweet action game. I'm impressed by the graphics, this game looks great.

And I ordered my first faceplate, the Boo one.

9d2db6a21a.jpg

FCCE8DA6-ED04-4229-A2F3-41C7478CDA30_zpsg620dxal.jpg
33BD819A-458C-443B-A975-991AEC64C57D_zps1ztc5vts.jpg
mine are pressed down. I can hear the shoulder buttons as they are press down when I put my n3dsxl in the case.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
This case is the one I use, it has a lot of room for the N3DSXL. It has slots for 3 games but behind those slots you can fit styli and more games.
Seems like a nice one. I had a similar black case by Hori for my original 3DS. Your picture makes it look a little pink, so I was disappointed that the website shows it as boring white. :p

You have it in the wrong way. Put it in like the picture Jayne took.
I can still hear them getting press down when I put it in the case.
Edit took some pictures, I switched it the side around however to get a clear shot
D36D24ED-74B5-41FD-9B3C-CE72D9BDA2C2_zps2vr05yxo.jpg
here it is before putting it in. Maybe my case is screw up who knows.
8FACBC26-6045-464B-8BF9-53B4E617C0CB_zpsfdmfba95.jpg

Jinjo

A bit smaller, but not that much really to notice. Definitely does not strain your eyes like the OG 3DS did. The regular model is somewhere between the 2.
It is my favorite SKU out of the 2. Which is a shame NA only gets XL, which having an old XL I feel no need to upgrade.

This is it :) http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/de...words=3ds+plate$pagemax=40$getcnt=0$pagecnt=1

I've never owned a XL but from the ones I've seen I wouldn't say it's a lot smaller. The regular N3DS is a nice size and the screens are a little bigger than the original 3DS.

Yes thats the one :)

I went from old XL to n3DS, yes it is a fair bit smaller but I don't notice it during use at all. It feels like a really good size. I can see everything clearly, and it's comfy to hold even with my big hands.

Went from XL to regular N3DS. It is a lot smaller, although I haven't thought about it while gaming.

I went from an OG XL, to an N3DS, to a N3DS XL. I just couldn't take the drop in screen size especially on Monster Hunter.

Thanks for the impressions guys. I'm mostly an at-home handheld gamer, so big screen might be a better suit, but that felt-cover is just so damn sexy. I guess I have some time to think it over, going on vacation next week so I'm not gonna buy a brand new New 3DS and take that with me with the risk of getting it stolen. I'll just take my old trusty Fire Emblem XL. Not that I want to get that stolen either lol.

Fair enough. I have both OG XL and regular n3DS.
The XL definitely is not pocket friendly. I don't care what people say, they have really deep pockets.
However, if you really only play at a house then yeah the XL is a valid system. The main thing is do you want a screen 1 inch bigger or you want more pixel density? That will help decide your system.

That being said, I can give up 1 inch for cover plates because cover plates are awesome.

Grave

Neo Member
The XL definitely is not pocket friendly. I don't care what people say, they have really deep pockets.
However, if you really only play at a house then yeah the XL is a valid system. The main thing is do you want a screen 1 inch bigger or you want more pixel density? That will help decide your system.

That being said, I can give up 1 inch for cover plates because cover plates are awesome.
The slight increase in screen size on the smaller model made it look really ideal, and the swappable cover plates for all of the games that got limited edition XL models somehow look better than the LE models do. It seems like a really great compromise between the old 3DS and an XL.

I hope the US does get it eventually, but after flipping out when Japan got the MH4G LL, Nintendo gave me exactly what I wanted so I took it. My eyesight is garbage to begin with, so the lower pixel density has generally been worth the tradeoff.

Those Yian Kut-Ku cover plates though...

The slight increase in screen size on the smaller model made it look really ideal, and the swappable cover plates for all of the games that got limited edition XL models somehow look better than the LE models do. It seems like a really great compromise between the old 3DS and an XL.
Indeed, it does the best things of both systems and has improved processing as well.
That is why I decided to go ahead and get a PAL version.

I also agree with you. If NoA ever decides to release it, they will have my money.
Until then, they will not get my money unless a nice Fire Emblem LE comes out.

Jinjo

Hmm, pixel density is a valid argument. I'm definitely more inclined to a sharper smaller image than a little larger more washed out one. And yeah, cover plates are really cool. Especially when, like me, your taste (in style/games) and mood changes like the wind lol.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Plan on getting one today, assuming they are easily findable.

Transfer question (I am using that Google Forms doc set up in the OP... kind of cool of you to do that), but I'm still unsure.

I basically have 2 SD cards with different games on them from my original 3DS.
For the transfer, can I do one and then the other?

I intend to go full Wireless Transfer. I just wasn't sure if you could do it twice.
Getting my save files over to the New 3DS is primary, and then a few games secondary. I doub't I could fit it all, I think the SD cards are 2 and 4gig each.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Do people stick their 3DS systems in their pockets? Seems everyone I know uses a case, so size becomes a little less of a portability issue.

Just ordered a New 3DS XL with charger on Best Buy. I'm a new 3DS owner... I've never even played a DS or 3DS.

So, my question is, what games should I pick up? I've already ordered Pokemon Y and Fire Emblem Awakening and plan to get A Link Between Worlds. Which others should I check out?

Do people stick their 3DS systems in their pockets? Seems everyone I know uses a case, so size becomes a little less of a portability issue.
I do when I am going somewhere for an hour or two. Playing the 3DS while waiting around is pretty awesome.
When I travel to stay for a day or more, I generally pack my XL with a case.

I mean most people browse their phones during downtime. I like to get a quick puzzle or Smash battle in instead.

CLEEK

Just ordered a New 3DS XL with charger on Best Buy. I'm a new 3DS owner... I've never even played a DS or 3DS.

So, my question is, what games should I pick up? I've already ordered Pokemon Y and Fire Emblem Awakening and plan to get A Link Between Worlds. Which others should I check out?

Most of them! The 3DS library is incredible. Fire Emblem is the king, but it's backed up with so much quality.

The Sega 3D Classics (Afterburner, Super Hang-On etc)
MH4U
Luigi's Mansion
Paper Mario Sticker Star (ignore the haters, I loved this game)
Bravely Default
NSMB2 and/or Mario 3D Land
Pushmo
Picross E (1,2,3,4...)
Shovel Knight
Mario Tennis (it's a bit bare bones, but still really fun)
Resident Evil Revelations

Then you got the remakes, which are all loving done.

Zelda OoT
Zelda MM
Star Fox 64

Mario Kart 7
Smash Bros.
and if you like the Final Fantasy series, Theatrhythm

me0wish

How do DS games look on n3DS and n3DS XL? Both upscaled and in 1:1 mode.

Upscaled looks um.. muddy and kinda ugly with washed out colors, 1:1 looks fantastic, clear and crisp.

I found games like Ace Attorney 4, Kirby games and Rhythm Heaven tolerable, while the more detailed games like Metroid Pinball and hunters look terrible.

Overall I'll always prefer 1:1, so everyone with their own personal preference.

me0wish

The 1:1 mode on a regular 3DS is so tiny. Is that also the case with n3DS? If so, I guess XL is the way to go :(

I'd guess so, as the n3DS is just a bit bigger than the regular 3ds. n3DSXL is awesome, it plays DS games 1:1 as if you were playing on a regular DS, so you won't have to worry about "tinyness".

Screen quality wise n3DSXL >>>> 3DSXL >> 3DS. The n3DSXL is a vastly improved product, I'd guess this also applies to the regular n3DS.

magnumpy

any word on availability? I live in DFW Texas and have had no luck so far. Amazon just carries the Japanese models; the regular and LL versions. I'd hate to have to import as my Japanese is woefully inadequate. particularly with it's 3 different alphabets, ultimately i gave up my attempts to learn it.

Most of them! The 3DS library is incredible. Fire Emblem is the king, but it's backed up with so much quality.

The Sega 3D Classics (Afterburner, Super Hang-On etc)
MH4U
Luigi's Mansion
Paper Mario Sticker Star (ignore the haters, I loved this game)
Bravely Default
NSMB2 and/or Mario 3D Land
Pushmo
Picross E (1,2,3,4...)
Shovel Knight
Mario Tennis (it's a bit bare bones, but still really fun)
Resident Evil Revelations

Then you got the remakes, which are all loving done.

Zelda OoT
Zelda MM
Star Fox 64

Mario Kart 7
Smash Bros.
and if you like the Final Fantasy series, Theatrhythm

Awesome, thanks guys!

_woLf

Finally bit the bullet and ordered a black new 3ds from best buy. I really wanted to wait for a blue one but I couldn't wait anymore :(

CRA5H

Nope, what I was saying is that the the n3ds (non-xl) (basically the one in the pic that you quoted) is smaller than the og 3dsxl case.

This:
Oh gotcha. Ya the other one I posted says 3DS on it as well but it says the XL is compatible with it. Nintendo really has to make things less confusing.

Top Bottom