• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

AsianOni

Everything is finally at home! :)
I did the full wireless transfer from my 2DS without problems (~2GB of data).

I celebrated by taking pictures. :')
KN9b1Rx.jpg

uKv0Mwq.jpg

skHQ7HH.jpg

OKBvama.jpg

Other pictures: http://imgur.com/a/fkAeZp

noomi

Guys I need some help... and what better place to ask than.... here? :)

I've purchased the New 3SD-XL, and haven't set it up yet because I am waiting for a 32GB MicroSD to come in next week.

I still have my old 3DS-XL, which I want to give to my wife, she has been using it for a few months now anyway. My files & Nintendo ID are all tied to the old unit currently. Now, I know I can do a system transfer over wireless to the New 3DS-XL which will move my Nintendo Id and other files but.... she has also been playing Professor Layton and Ace Attorney on the old 3DS-XL and I'm afraid she will lose save-games (unless they save to the actual cartridge...).

So my question is.... after I do a system transfer to my New 3DS-XL, can I still somehow keep her save-games on the old 3DS-XL and set her up with her own Nintendo ID afterwards?

Anyone from UK know where to get screen protectors for the New 3ds? I can only see new 3ds xl screen protectors online and I'm sure the new 3ds does have a slightly bigger screen than old 3ds so obviously can't buy one of those.

Jinjo

Guys I need some help... and what better place to ask than.... here? :)

I've purchased the New 3SD-XL, and haven't set it up yet because I am waiting for a 32GB MicroSD to come in next week.

I still have my old 3DS-XL, which I want to give to my wife, she has been using it for a few months now anyway. My files & Nintendo ID are all tied to the old unit currently. Now, I know I can do a system transfer over wireless to the New 3DS-XL which will move my Nintendo Id and other files but.... she has also been playing Professor Layton and Ace Attorney on the old 3DS-XL and I'm afraid she will lose save-games (unless they save to the actual cartridge...).

So my question is.... after I do a system transfer to my New 3DS-XL, can I still somehow keep her save-games on the old 3DS-XL and set her up with her own Nintendo ID afterwards?

I think saves are mostly tied to the cartridge. You can test that easily by putting the cartridge in your New XL and see if your saves are there. If not you can always make a copy of the savefile folder after the transfer to the new micro SD/New XL and put that folder on the old SD card for your old XL (through the computer). I think that might work too.

Ein Bear

Any UK people found a good travel case for the standard size N3DS? Am not having much luck Googling... The word 'New' really doesn't make it easy, just keep finding 'new' cases for the old model.

Any UK people found a good travel case for the standard size N3DS? Am not having much luck Googling... The word 'New' really doesn't make it easy.

Tell me about it. I'm looking for a screen protector for the new 3ds in the UK and also a travel case and not having much luck either!

DagsJT

Any UK people found a good travel case for the standard size N3DS? Am not having much luck Googling... The word 'New' really doesn't make it easy, just keep finding 'new' cases for the old model.

I bought the Executive Case for the normal 3DS from Amazon for £4 and the N3DS fitted just fine.

Ein Bear

I bought the Executive Case for the normal 3DS from Amazon for £4 and the N3DS fitted just fine.

I tried this case too, but I noticed that when you put the N3DS in, it's a little too snug and the shoulder buttons are always pressed down. Might just be me being paranoid, but I feel like that cant be good for the system.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Accessories may be a little slow coming here so you may want to consider looking into importing from Japan where the choice is much greater.

noomi

I think saves are mostly tied to the cartridge. You can test that easily by putting the cartridge in your New XL and see if your saves are there. If not you can always make a copy of the savefile folder after the transfer to the new micro SD/New XL and put that folder on the old SD card for your old XL (through the computer). I think that might work too.

aha! I didn't know I could do that, perfect. In that case I will just make a copy of the card on my PC just incase. Thanks for the response Jinjo!

Rootbeer

Banned
What's up with the loose hinge on the n3DS XL. The top screen moves side to side considerably on 3 units I've tried.

Theories being put forward is that it is to help prevent cracking which has been a problem on hinges in the past. When the hinge does not have proper give it can have an effect on it.

Melter

Theories being put forward is that it is to help prevent cracking which has been a problem on hinges in the past. When the hinge does not have proper give it can have an effect on it.

It's irritating me my fingers move the screen when I press the trigger buttons

clem84

Gold Member
Slightly off topic but I didn't want to make a new thread just for this. I just bought a Japanese 3DS LL and it didn't have an adapter. Will the North American power adapter used for the DS XL, 3DS, 2DS, new 3DS, etc..., work on the Japanese LL?

Kaibutsu

After using a couple of my friends' N3DSXLs I've come to believe that the wobbly hinge on all the 3DS's is not something purposely designed into the product by Nintendo and more of a defect that just happens to hit a large number of the systems. My Majora's Mask N3DSXL does not wobble at all, like I can shake it up and down, back and forth and the top screen is perfectly stable yet every other 3DS i've owned (original Black 3DS, Blue 3DS XL, Animal Crossing 3DS XL, ALBW 3DS XL) has had the screen wobble to some degree with the Blue 3DS XL being the worst. Two of my friends also have the Majora's mask systems and both of their screens wobble, one a whole lot worse than the other. They then took out their original 3DS and 3DSXL respectively and neither of those had wobbly screens. So what i'm trying to get at if the 3DS's are purposely designed to wobble why are there some units that don't? Very strange.

I have a question. My nephew is very young and damanged to top faceplate of my black new 3DS.

Is it possible to buy anywehre at nintendo a replacement of the DEFAULT/factory faceplates ?

(Morevover, on a side note, I noticed that the packed in faceplate of the black modl at least is very prone to scratching.)

Anyone ?

Nintendo customer support informs me that when my unit was sent in for repair, the repair center go through the unit thoroughly to fix any issues that may be a problem now or down the line on top of fixing the reason it was sent in.

I am curious to see in what condition the hinges come back to me in. Before sending it off, they too allowed for the top screen to shift left and right.

edIt: My n3DS is being shipped today and gets to me tomorrow. Will update then.

I'd love to hear an update.

What unit did you have? (Regular or MH4U/MMLE)

My MMN3DSXL is prefect cosmetically - pristine.

The hinge is my concern. It opens with a soft audible click, no cracking - or - snapping sound. When opened, it does flop forward and back, and the lid can move left or right, on the hinge. I'm worried that long term hinge play/give could loosen the lid over time, or come loose from a ribbon cable...

My aversion to sending it for repair consists of receiving a plain unit, in return - or the center not repairing it at all, because they can't replace the LE parts....

:0/

Hattori

Banned
Went to exchange my Red XL on a whim because my C stick is stiffer and less responsive compared to my Majora unit, and I think I scored a perfect one. No dead pixels, screen has a more neutral white, volume control and 3D slider is smooth, stylus doesn't rattle while in the unit, top screen has zero wobble(!) and no horizontal movement at the hinge. Oh and the C stick is much softer and more responsive.
Gy8JsU7.jpg

I kind of wish the Majora XL was more readily available so I can swap mine out with a new one.

Rootbeer

Banned
After using a couple of my friends' N3DSXLs I've come to believe that the wobbly hinge on all the 3DS's is not something purposely designed into the product by Nintendo and more of a defect that just happens to hit a large number of the systems. My Majora's Mask N3DSXL does not wobble at all, like I can shake it up and down, back and forth and the top screen is perfectly stable yet every other 3DS i've owned (original Black 3DS, Blue 3DS XL, Animal Crossing 3DS XL, ALBW 3DS XL) has had the screen wobble to some degree with the Blue 3DS XL being the worst. Two of my friends also have the Majora's mask systems and both of their screens wobble, one a whole lot worse than the other. They then took out their original 3DS and 3DSXL respectively and neither of those had wobbly screens. So what i'm trying to get at if the 3DS's are purposely designed to wobble why are there some units that don't? Very strange.

The ones with no ascertainable 'wobble' are the faulty ones maybe. :)

if by wobble we are on the same page, meaning that the screen moves between 0.3 and 0.5mm (possibly less), aka roughly the thickness of a fingernail, from left to right if you apply some force to either side. It should not move just by pressing the L/R buttons

So the N3DS comes with a 4GB stick. Assuming I need a new microSD card because that's not a lot of space at all. How big are retail games in general?

Morokh

Finally got mine, the transfer didn't go without a few bumps, and now i'm unable to open Mii-plaza, I get an error every time I try to open it.
Turning Streetpass off and even deleting Mii-plaza data from the SD card (I have a backup) don't change a thing.

any ideas ?

Melter

The ones with no ascertainable 'wobble' are the faulty ones maybe. :)

if by wobble we are on the same page, meaning that the screen moves between 0.3 and 0.5mm (possibly less), aka roughly the thickness of a fingernail, from left to right if you apply some force to either side. It should not move just by pressing the L/R buttons

the hinge on the ones i tried will move if you tilt the 3ds on its side, takes very little force to move the screen side to side. I know the original 3DS XLs had a similar issue, but at least there some force needed to be applied to move the hinge. these are extremely lose sideways.

Got the red New XL version. Holy crap, the stable 3D is awesome. What a huge difference. That's worth the price tag alone because I liked the way it looked in MH3U but never used it due to slight movement can make you be a bit off which could kill you. Playing MH4 with this is great, especially with the C-Stick. Although I do wish it was an actual stick and not just a laptop-like movement thing.

samn

So the N3DS comes with a 4GB stick. Assuming I need a new microSD card because that's not a lot of space at all. How big are retail games in general?

Averaging at about 1GB I think. Animal Crossing and ALBW are 0.7GB, MH4U is 1.7, Fire Emblem is 1GB, Xenoblade will be the biggest at 3.7 I think.

Averaging at about 1GB I think. Animal Crossing and ALBW are 0.7GB, MH4U is 1.7, Fire Emblem is 1GB, Xenoblade will be the biggest at 3.7 I think.

Thanks. And there aren't any mandatory installs like Xbox One just to play the games, right? So if I buy most retail games on carts, I should be fine?

samn

Thanks. And there aren't any mandatory installs like Xbox One just to play the games, right? So if I buy most retail games on carts, I should be fine.

There are some games that require save data to be saved on the SD card rather than the cartridge. Oh, and some games will require you to update for online play. But it's not a huge amount, usually only a few MB, I think MH4U is an outlier in requiring a few hundred.

There are some games that require save data to be saved on the SD card rather than the cartridge. Oh, and some games will require you to update for online play. But it's not a huge amount, usually only a few MB, I think MH4U is an outlier in requiring a few hundred.
I notice it is mostly RPGs which honestly is a smart idea.
I would have been sad since I accidentally lost my Fantasy Life cart if my 70+ hours would have been gone.

Edzi

I posted this in the 3ds transfer thread, but I figured I'd try here too:
So I've got a friend who has an old OG 3ds that he doesn't use anymore, and he suggested that I could do a system transfer to my new3ds to get some of his digital games. How exactly would that work? My new 3ds is already connected with my nintendo ID, and I've already downloaded a few games onto it, and I don't think my friend ever signed up for a Nintendo ID through his console. By doing a system transfer, would I risk losing any of my stuff? Or would it just safely copy over his games onto my system?

tiijj

is it normal to hear clicking sounds when you're trying to unscrew the back?

The clicking sound when I was removing the back/bottom plate is when the screw was fully out of the sockey, I always try to hear that to make sure that the screw is fully unscrewed.

So a transfer wipes all previous data from both consoles?

The content from the old 3DS would replace the one in the new one, yes. However, if he didn't link a NNID on his 3DS then you miiight be able to call Nintendo and ask them to merge the licenses of that 3DS into your NNID by giving them the serial number. I think it's worth the shot.

Edzi

The content from the old 3DS would replace the one in the new one, yes. However, if he didn't link a NNID on his 3DS then you miiight be able to call Nintendo and ask them to merge the licenses of that 3DS into your NNID by giving them the serial number. I think it's worth the shot.

Thanks for the suggestion, I might actually give that a try.

So here's a question i've been thinking about:

If i got like a Hori TPS clear case for my new xl, would it still fit inside of a charging dock, or would i need to pop the back off to get it on there? i feel like that'd cause excessive friction and sort of ruin the point of the case.

I'm really paranoid about breaking the charging nub though, no charging cradle doesn't feel like an option either.

samn

I have a friend whos on the fence about wether to get a N3DSXL. He's looking for a good price. Anyone know of any good deals in the UK?

Buy from amazon.fr, it's about £150, you get standard Nintendo warranty, no customs fees as we're all in the EU.

Top Bottom