• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

CLEEK

So...this seems to be the perfect universal DS travel case.

BUT

Doesn't hold the charger. =/
Actually, if I could just find a case that holds the charger and the N3DS XL, and maybe like, 3 games, that'd be best for me.

blogger-image--2000616825.jpg

You can always just buy a 3DS USB cable, and then charge it with any USB charger. If I'm travelling, I just pack a single USB charger, plus the cables for whichever of the phone//tablet/3DS/Vita combo I'm taking with me. Cuts down on clutter and space. If I'm taking my laptop, I don't even need to pack the USB charger, just the cables.

bronk

Banned
I get my system back from nintendo which i sent because it had two dead pixels. They replaced upper screen so i start playing and there is nice lil scratch in the screen. WTF! i hate dealing with this crap. Its not as bad as the dead pixels so ill try to ignore it. Im bummed.

Edit: There was lint under my screen protector. I didnt notice before when I put it on. Im so dumb! Im sorry Nintendo thank you for fixing my screen.

Edzi

I get my system back from nintendo which i sent because it had two dead pixels. They replaced upper screen so i start playing and there is nice lil scratch in the screen. WTF! i hate dealing with this crap. Its not as bad as the dead pixels so ill try to ignore it. Im bummed.

Send it back man, that's unacceptable.

Bogeypop

Finally decided to keep my MM n3DS XL instead of selling it. Turned it on, and held it for the first time. No dead pixels, no loose hinges, Circle Pad feels a bit odd, but it think it's normal. So far so good. Suddenly touch screen starts tapping icons by itself. "Maybe it just needs a calibration, no problem." Still continues doing so. Only seems to really do it when I move the 3DS around. Guess I'm sending it in for repairs.

sirap

I love my CPP, and i've been hearing that the nub on the n3DS XL sucks. Is this true? If so, i'll just stick to my OG 3ds and XL.

Bogeypop

There's a guy around here with the exact same problem.

What...I mean...did they just toss these out the window and into the delivery trucks? This is awful.

It sucks too since hearing people talk how MM 3D was a graphical leap compared to OoT 3D, and I even thought it looked nice in trailers as well only to be disappointed with how it looked on my regular 3DS XL. Maybe my screen or battery was going bad; however, when I popped it in my n3DS it looked really good. Now I'll have to wait a week or w/e until it gets repaired.

i had a quick question. my brother just received his Austrailian New 3DS and we were wondering what website we can buy eshop cards online that would send an email with a code. we are in the US and we can use all the help we can get. thanks!

Labrys

Decals from here, https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/Nintendo-New-3DS-XL-Skins , are actually not too bad if you want a unique design for the handheld.
Also less fingerprints. (Retro Horizontal for old XL shown)

That looks nice, I think I might wait for some hard covers to come out though. There were a lot of cool ones for the original 3ds XL.

EDIT: Looks like I spoke too soon, there's already unofficial ones. I don't like much of the designs, though.

That looks nice, I think I might wait for some hard covers to come out though. There were a lot of cool ones for the original 3ds XL.

EDIT: Looks like I spoke too soon, there's already unofficial ones. I don't like much of the designs, though.
Yeah. I bought it because I hate the Wii U gloss design and was experimental.
Now my Wii U looks better, but the template is too big and air bubbles was so easy to get via sides. Picture: http://imgur.com/Yx66v8n
Plus decals do not void your warranty. So much better than sanding it down.

Would not recommend Wii U decals, but totally recommend 3DS decals.

Labrys

Yeah. I bought it because I hate the Wii U gloss design and was experimental.
Now my Wii U looks better, but the template is too big and air bubbles was so easy to get via sides. Picture: http://imgur.com/Yx66v8n
Plus decals do not void your warranty. So much better than sanding it down.

Would not recommend Wii U decals, but totally recommend 3DS decals.

My Wii U stays behind the TV so I don't mind the sheen, but I think I'll either get a decal or a hard case I think

My Wii U stays behind the TV so I don't mind the sheen, but I think I'll either get a decal or a hard case I think
I was curious how mine got so many scratches. It does not move like at all.
But yeah, wish the Wii U template was better. 3DS one is smaller pieces.

Labrys

I was curious how mine got so many scratches. It does not move like at all.
But yeah, wish the Wii U template was better. 3DS one is smaller pieces.

I guess if I matched the outside decal to the inside color I could go without using the inside one couldn't I? I'm not too big on how the speakers are circled and I like seeing the red inside. I might get something Mother/Earthbound related for the outside.

I guess if I matched the outside decal to the inside color I could go without using the inside one couldn't I? I'm not too big on how the speakers are circled and I like seeing the red inside. I might get something Mother/Earthbound related for the outside.
That is correct.
I saw this video which is a neat idea...
Making Of My Custom Fire Emblem 3DS XL: http://youtu.be/bgwbJdZup8g

Edit:
This should be an LE because me want.
Now to figure out how to turn it into a face plate...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/209190201/oras-starters-skin?ref=shop_home_active_12
il_570xN.674880890_iol8.jpg

Ac30

Is anyone else getting absolutely abysmal battery life? I get 3 hours with my XL with 3D/Brightness at full but wireless off. That's far worse than my old XL :/

Side note, the C-stick is crap. It doesn't seem to ever register my down-press.

You can always just buy a 3DS USB cable, and then charge it with any USB charger. If I'm travelling, I just pack a single USB charger, plus the cables for whichever of the phone//tablet/3DS/Vita combo I'm taking with me. Cuts down on clutter and space. If I'm taking my laptop, I don't even need to pack the USB charger, just the cables.
Eh, I would, but those 3DS usb chargers on Amazon appear to have sketchy reviews.

Also, during some research on using them, found a topic over at GBAtemp about using these generic cables with 3DS systems in general, and around half of them didn't turn out too well (caused systems to overheat, didn't charge at all, etc.)

Maybe that's just a small percentage, though. I'll have to check local GS for some.

CRA5H

This 3DSXL case from Nintendo store fits perfectly.
Nice. I have this too and it fits perfectly. My concern is when I eventually get the Duraflex Clear Case. I'm not too worried about the length but I'm more concerned about the shoulder buttons being pressed in while in the case. Is this a legitimate concern?

Lé Blade Runner;153902009 said:
So, uh... If I have never played the Phoenix Wright -series, how much "a must" is the trilogy re-release on the Nintendo eShop?
If you like story or character driven games, then it is a must.
If you care about gameplay, it plays like a point and click.
Buy from amazon.fr, it's about £150, you get standard Nintendo warranty, no customs fees as we're all in the EU.
Actually I think Amazon and Nin-Nin figured out how to bypass custom fees: classify the goods as used. Used goods are not subject to tax, which is neat.

breakfuss

So, uh... If I have never played the Phoenix Wright -series, how much "a must" is the trilogy re-release on the Nintendo eShop?

I'm not sure what new additions the 3DS re-release has, but the series is friggin fantastic. And this is coming from someone who isn't big on visual novels. I'd imagine it's cheaper than tracking down the DS cartridges.

You guys know what game doesn't get enough love?? Ghost Trick. I loved it.

marrec

Banned

Playing through for my first time now and it has all the makings of a classic series of games. I love the older PnC games from Lucas and if anything these games remind me of those. Not because the gameplay is similar (it's... not, really) but because the characters are all quirky and well-written.

If you're interested at all in a character driven PnC game with some fun but rudimentary logic puzzles thrown in then I highly recommend them.

Yes, also you're likely going to have to sign up for a forwarding service if you use Amazon as only selected items have global shipping.
I thought it was selected regions offered global shopping? Like Germany, UK, and France all ship to US but had no luck with Japan.
Although I do assume global shipping is limited to a certain weight as well, so it may be both.

Actually it is both reading the bylaws, Japan is not a region that ships to US.
Amazon.com's list is impressive: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201074230

Ein Bear

How much of an improvement are the 3DS versions of the Phoenix Wright trilogy? I've been itching to re-play them, but already own the original games.

Playing through for my first time now and it has all the makings of a classic series of games. I love the older PnC games from Lucas and if anything these games remind me of those. Not because the gameplay is similar (it's... not, really) but because the characters are all quirky and well-written.

If you're interested at all in a character driven PnC game with some fun but rudimentary logic puzzles thrown in then I highly recommend them.

Welp, I am a huge fan of old LucasArts point'n'click adventure games - they are the video-gaming staples of my childhood. They also taught me English before I got to third grade ( I'm a Finn ).

Thank you for the swift replies, guys. My stylus is hovering over the purchase screen... And thanks to you, I'm going to bite. :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I thought it was selected regions offered global shopping? Like Germany, UK, and France all ship to US but had no luck with Japan.
Although I do assume global shipping is limited to a certain weight as well, so it may be both.
Well I can only comment on Japan to the UK, but when I ordered my plate and case I had to use a forwarding service to ship my parcel out of Japan. However some items can be shipped directly from Amazon JP. If you look at the search refinements on the left hand side you should find an option called 'Amazon Global'. Ticking that will show you items you can buy direct.

Ohnonono

So in the US, everywhere I go I cannot find one of these. My wife wants to get one for my B-Day toward the end of March, but everyone is sold out. Are they likely to fix the supply issue by then or am I fucked if I want to pick one up in a store?

Just chiming in to say that I'm really pleased with Best Buy/UPS's delivery of my N3DS to me. Ordered it on Wednesday with the estimate that it would be delivered by this coming Monday. I just checked the tracking, though, and it says it will be delivered by end of day today. Pretty fantastic turnaround for free shipping.

Now, Amazon's free shipping of my games is a whole other story. Ordered them the same day as my n3ds and they won't get here until next Friday. Might have to pick up something at a local store to hold me over til then.

Have you linked it to any account information, always safer to do a system transfer first, if that is not a concern, then yes wipe the card and reformat all the memory in there from the system settings, I think there are 2 options.
I haven't linked my Nintendo ID to it yet but I did transfer my eshop account to it. I also don't have another 3DS to transfer it again to. What's my best option here?

So in the US, everywhere I go I cannot find one of these. My wife wants to get one for my B-Day toward the end of March, but everyone is sold out. Are they likely to fix the supply issue by then or am I fucked if I want to pick one up in a store?

You're talking about these, right?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-new-3ds-xl-red/2307075.p?id=1219535294084&skuId=2307075

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nintendo-new-3ds-xl-black/2306021.p?id=1219535294085&skuId=2306021

That should have it covered.

How much of an improvement are the 3DS versions of the Phoenix Wright trilogy? I've been itching to re-play them, but already own the original games.

The menues are in 60 fps, the load times are shorter...the game feels a lot snappier and the new art looks great compared to the low res and dim sprites.

The 3D effect is neat too. I'd say if you have the money to spare and want to support the series in the west, get it...this is the best version of the 3 games .

Ohnonono

Ohnonono

So the only actual software I have on my current XL is Pokemon Bank, besides that its just patches and save files. Will the system transfer over WIFI still take the full time for 4gigs or will it just move over what is on the card? Didn't know if it was basically reformatting the card or if it would just move over the relevant data. Would like to avoid a 4 hour transfer without getting out the screwdriver :)

Rootbeer

Banned
I saw a black 3DSXL at Target yesterday :3 I don't think they are that hard to find, you may have to check several stores but it's not amiibo levels of shortages.

Which color are guys picking the new 3ds non xl version? i have an black 3ds and im considering the new 3ds in white color because of the colored buttons and the removable plates.

Top Bottom