• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

melman101

How is their return policy..in case it doesnt work..I really dont want to have to ship it back to Japan LOL..what shipping did you choose? And the tracking that you received, what kind of tracking was it, USPS, fed ex, ups?

No idea. I'm hoping it works. I ordered a Dual Shock 3 a long time ago from them and had no problem. The tracking I received doesn't work. But I got the Air Economy shipping for $6.90 I think.

isitstill

Are there any websites that do theme round ups? Tiny cartridge covers a lot of them, but I'd like to know what each theme looks like, without loading up the theme shop.

Anyone have the Donkey kong theme that came out yesterday?

Grisby

Just bought a new 3ds for the hell of it. Got a bigger card too. Big ups for the tutorial stuff in the OT.

Couple questions though:
1) When backing up my original 3ds 2gb card to my pc, just copy over the entire 3DS folder?
2) So If I'm reading the help guide right, I then copy the data on my PC to the new 32gb mircoSD card deal using the adapter. Then I put the adapter and the mircoSD back into the old 3DS. Start the transfer and then when its done I put the MircoSD deal into my new 3ds.

MicH

I've already bought four face plates and I don't have an n3DS yet. Thankfully I live in Europe, so I'm gonna get one eventually. Probably black. I wish we got a black charging cradle for the regular sized n3DS

No idea. I'm hoping it works. I ordered a Dual Shock 3 a long time ago from them and had no problem. The tracking I received doesn't work. But I got the Air Economy shipping for $6.90 I think.

How long did it take for you to receive the item? Im in California so Japan to California not sure how long it would take..and how is their customer service in case I dont receive the item? Maybe I will just order it from them because I dont see amazon UK sending anything to me

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The cradle is so useful. Funny how they were willing to give it away as part of the original 3DS pak but now you have to buy it separately. Don't even get a charging cable with it.

The cradle is so useful. Funny how they were willing to give it away as part of the original 3DS pak but now you have to buy it separately. Don't even get a charging cable with it.

Where did you get yours from? I am going to get it from here http://www.play-asia.com/new-3ds-ll-charger-stand-black-paOS-13-49-en-70-86cz.html but since Im in the US and from their web site, shipping it back is sorta a pain in the rear, I want to make sure its compatible with my New Nintendo 3DS XL

batrush

Somewhat regret not taking advantage of Gamestop's $100 trade-in deal (wanted the non-XL unit). The black new XL looks and feels great.

I'm looking to get a New 3ds. How long does the system transfer take? Could I trade my old one in and do the transfer right in the store, or would that take too long for it to be viable?

melman101

How long did it take for you to receive the item? Im in California so Japan to California not sure how long it would take..and how is their customer service in case I dont receive the item? Maybe I will just order it from them because I dont see amazon UK sending anything to me

Didn't get it yet. They shipped it on Monday.

Cradles are compatible, my 3DS XL cradle is japanese and I should be getting the N3DS XL cradle today (both ordered from Play-Asia).

Oh so the cradles are compatible even though its NOT a Japanese 3ds xl console? Great, I will be ordering it then and hopefully this time I will actually receive it. Did you choose economy shipping, did you receive any tracking info and how long did it take to actually receive it(Since you say your getting yours today you must have some kind of tracking info)

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Oh so the cradles are compatible even though its NOT a Japanese 3ds xl console? Great, I will be ordering it then and hopefully this time I will actually receive it. Did you choose economy shipping, did you receive any tracking info and how long did it take to actually receive it(Since you say your getting yours today you must have some kind of tracking info)
Yeah it's basically just a piece of plastic that holds your system, and you plug the charge into the side of the cradle.

Yeah it's basically just a piece of plastic that holds your system, and you plug the charge into the side of the cradle.

Great will just take my chances with play-asia I hope this time I will actually receive it..will be funny if I end up getting two of them(One from amazon UK and one from play asia LOL) will choose economy shipping but am hoping for some kind of tracking info so I can see where it is
And this is the one I will get for my New Nintendo 3DS XL( I have the red one)
http://www.play-asia.com/new-3ds-ll-charger-stand-black-paOS-13-49-en-70-86cz.html

Economy shipping always takes 2+ months to get here (Mexico, shipping to US should be faster) and I've never had tracking numbers for those packages but P-A I think started sending everything by registered mail so it should have some sort of tracking. Haven't tried it so I don't know. Fedex (which I almost always use) has tracking, of course.

If you hold on like 2 hours (still at work) I can confirm the N3DS XL cradle works so you can be 100% sure :)

Nintendo's so biased, all the dock looks good on the white n3ds. They didn't even provide a black n3ds dock.
Indeed. I was not feeling the white dock on black.
I used plastic spray paint. The outside looks better and letting it dry out now

Edit:
Good news is that it looks better.
IuI0NQc.jpg
Bad news it does not work anymore, anyone know what screw driver I need?

ghibli99

Got my black N3DS XL a couple days ago. System transfer took a while, but everything worked. Few thoughts in the short-term, which echo what's already been said. Oh well:

The glossy finish is definitely more along the lines of the original 3DS. It's a fingerprint magnet, but it does seem less slippery than the smoother finish of the standard XL. The gunmetal color does remind me of my GBA SP2.

Swapping the MicroSD card was a cinch. Does suck that you need the #0 screwdriver, but the two screws only take a few turns, and the back pops right off. Remove the stylus first to make it a little easier.

Beefier stylus feels nicer and more comfortable to use. OS and loading in general is much faster, which makes everything feel a lot snappier.

The stable 3D is amazing. I don't know what I was expecting, but it works exceptionally well. You can confuse it by moving too fast or whatnot, but it's crazy how nice it works. Makes me want to play all my old 3DS games with the slider on!

Volume relocation is very welcome. Used to hit it all the time by accident on my old XL.

New Start/Select buttons are also much better.

Power button placement is funky. I don't use it a ton since I generally just sleep it most of the time, but it did take me a couple seconds to find it. LOL

Hinge is so much quieter now, thank goodness!

Only thing I really dislike is the cartridge slot location. My left pinky finger tends to support the system on the bottom edge, and so it's pretty uncomfortable. Gonna have to adjust the way I hold it a little bit. Much preferred the old location. That, or I wish the slot were in the middle-bottom and the headphone jack on the left.

Overall, I'm happy with the upgrade. Haven't used the c-stick for anything yet besides 3D Galaxy Force II, but I will soon.

Economy shipping always takes 2+ months to get here (Mexico, shipping to US should be faster) and I've never had tracking numbers for those packages but P-A I think started sending everything by registered mail so it should have some sort of tracking. Haven't tried it so I don't know. Fedex (which I almost always use) has tracking, of course.

If you hold on like 2 hours (still at work) I can confirm the N3DS XL cradle works so you can be 100% sure :)

2 months..OMG I hope it doesnt take THAT long to arrive..there has to be a place I can order from that would come quicker than that..no worries I dont mind waiting yeah if you could double check for me that would be great..I assume your new 3ds xl is US even though your in Mexico? Maybe it takes longer for delivery since your in Mexico but WOW 2 months sounds ridiculous

So I have been using a 32gb micro sd card in an sd card adapter in my 3DS XL and am going to potentially be system transferring to New 3DS XL. What would the process be considering I'll want to move the micro sd card into the New 3DS XL?

Also what is the best place to pick up the #00 screwdriver? Home Depot?

Gah! Use a #0 not a #00! And yeah any hardware store will have one.

i prefer the red over the black, i was initially thinking of waiting until a new limited model came out, but that could be a while... i could always sell the red one and move to limited when the next comes out lol.

I think what i'll do is buy the new 3ds for $150 and compare them side by side and make my choice and then either re-sell the new 3DS or sell my persona q model.

The red N3DSXL is stunning in person.

In fact, the manager at the GameStop I ordered my MM3DSXL from, sold her MMXL to one of her employees at cost. She instead, went with the red system for the Nintendo feeling. The MM system didn't pull her in, the way a red one did.

I've since envied her red one - it's a looker of a system. Her hinge is way sturdier than mine too, which bothered me.

I purchased a red one today (very sturdy hinge) and am passing my floppy hinged MMXL to my son. I'm honestly sick of tending to a LE (will always keep my FE OG) - seeing Nintendo cannot repair them. I'm sick of the worry.

Again, the red N3DSXL is really, REALLY pretty in person.

2 months..OMG I hope it doesnt take THAT long to arrive..there has to be a place I can order from that would come quicker than that..no worries I dont mind waiting yeah if you could double check for me that would be great..I assume your new 3ds xl is US even though your in Mexico? Maybe it takes longer for delivery since your in Mexico but WOW 2 months sounds ridiculous

Yeah, Mexico is the same region as US in terms of hardware and software. Postal service here is awful so that's why I said shipping to the US should be faster.

Yeah, Mexico is the same region as US in terms of hardware and software. Postal service here is awful so that's why I said shipping to the US should be faster.

Yeah I think on their web site it says 2 weeks tops..I wont order it yet..til I Know for sure it will work..it does look nice, as far as the pictures go
http://www.play-asia.com/new-3ds-ll-charger-stand-black-paOS-13-49-en-70-86cz.html
That is for the New Nintendo 3DS XL right..I Guess when it says LL Im not sure what that stands for but I assume its for the XL..I already have the charger but I Guess it would be cool having it stand up..I also pre ordered the Hori clear case from amazon US I hope that the charging cradle can work with the case on the 3ds xl

MicH

Yeah I think on their web site it says 2 weeks tops..I wont order it yet..til I Know for sure it will work..it does look nice, as far as the pictures go
That is for the New Nintendo 3DS XL right..I Guess when it says LL Im not sure what that stands for but I assume its for the XL..I already have the charger but I Guess it would be cool having it stand up..I also pre ordered the Hori clear case from amazon US I hope that the charging cradle can work with the case on the 3ds xl
It's literally just a piece of plastic. You're using your own charger to charge the system. It will work with 100% certainty I

tiijj

I might be the 5th or 6th person to say this, yes it will work LOL. It's just a chunk of plastic with 2 pins, if you look at the charging port of your n3ds xl, you'll see two rectangular copper, that's the contact point of the dock. It doesn't have any region locking like a pin or a tab so you're good.

LL is basically XL, it's a sizing that japan uses.

I really don't like play asia since I had a really bad time with them, I try to avoid it like the plague, they are the last one I'll order from but I know people who had a flawless experience with them.

I'm not sure how play asia does it but some online store offer different types of shipping. Some shipping method has an estimate of a 2-3 weeks, while other such as ems (3-4 business days) or fedex (2-3 business days) takes a few days. You have to pay more for the faster shipping of course and with fedex you might have to pay some sort of admin fee (not 100% sure).

If you're talking about the hori tpu case then it will not fit, you gotta take it out.

It's literally just a piece of plastic. You're using your own charger to charge the system. It will work with 100% certainty I

Maybe I should just wait til the 3rd, maybe amazon UK will still end up sending me the cradle..another person here also ordered from amazon uk and online chat told him the same thing, wait til march 3rd..so that seems to have some significance to them, maybe that is when it will arrive..so I Guess I dont mind waiting a few more days to see what happens..if it doesnt arrive, then I will order from play-asia, unless there is another place I Can order this thing from

I might be the 5th or 6th person to say this, yes it will work LOL. It's just a chunk of plastic with 2 pins, if you look at the charging port of your n3ds xl, you'll see two rectangular copper, that's the contact point of the dock. It doesn't have any region locking like a pin or a tab so you're good.

LL is basically XL, it's a sizing that japan uses.

I really don't like play asia since I had a really bad time with them, I try to avoid it like the plague, they are the last one I'll order from but I know people who had a flawless experience with them.

I'm not sure how play asia does it but some online store offer different types of shipping. Some shipping method has an estimate of a 2-3 weeks, while other such as ems (3-4 business days) or fedex (2-3 business days) takes a few days. You have to pay more for the faster shipping of course and with fedex you might have to pay some sort of admin fee (not 100% sure).

If you're talking about the hori tpu case then it will not fit, you gotta take it out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RZ7TC6Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

that is the case I pre ordered its the Hori case looks cool cause its see through and I can still see my red 3ds

Cradle works just fine as expected :) don't worry about getting it.

Cradle works just fine as expected :) don't worry about getting it.

Thanks for letting me know. I would get it from play-asia if there was maybe a coupon or something so I can save some money at least on the price of the cradle, then I could just upgraded the shipping so I could get it much sooner and with tracking do you know where I can find a coupon online to save a few bucks
Just tried checking out and I see they dont take American Express or Discover

Kawika

So I have bought 3 New 3DS XL at various retailers and all 3 have ever so slight dimples on the right bottom of the screen between the home button and the lower right corner. Has anyone else noticed this? I don't mean to be petty but shit, I can't believe I am paying $215 (w/tax) for this thing to have a visibly warped screen.

IMG_20150221_151136.jpg

All 3 Units are black. I am going to order a red one and see if I luck out. So annoying...

Rich!

So I have bought 3 New 3DS XL at various retailers and all 3 have ever so slight dimples on the right bottom of the screen between the home button and the lower right corner. Has anyone else noticed this? I don't mean to be petty but shit, I can't believe I am paying $215 (w/tax) for this thing to have a visibly warped screen.

IMG_20150221_151136.jpg

All 3 Units are black. I am going to order a red one and see if I luck out. So annoying...

Same on my AUS unit

Dude, they are all the same to some degree or another. My Wii U gamepad is the same too.

Just either not buy one or buy one and deal with it, because you're wasting time with all this swapping over models.

Vena

Anyone happen to know if there are metal-body stylus' out for the N3DS? I'd like to get one as I had for the OG XL.

both the unit i returned (dead pixels) and the replacement have the same thing

it seems impossible to notice during normal use

Lunar FC

If I import a N3DS from Europe will i be able to play online with others in the US is games such as Pokemon X and Monster Hunter 4?

rekameohs

Banned
In the C-Stick calibration screen, can anyone else's crosshair not go all the way down? It reaches all of the other directions' edges just fine, but going down, it only can go part of the way. It hasn't been any issue playing Majora's Mask, but Ironfall showed that outside of camera control, it wouldn't be very good?

dedhead54

My black unit has the same thing. It bothered me a lot at first, and I considered returning it, but I've come to deal with it. Luckily it doesn't affect the functionality and it isn't noticeable when the screen is illuminated.

You can see this unit has the same issue, in an unboxing video. It is a MM edition, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7ypSkTuKs0

I am pretty much over it and eventually I won't even think about it but I really expected a perfect unit considering its $200 price tag.

Just got my MH4 n3ds back from repair for a dead pixel in the upper right. First thing I noticed was that my new top screen was much cooler, so now I have a warm bottom screen and a cool top screen. I definitely prefer how the cool screens look, but the difference was a little weird. All and all though, its something I'd deal with cause that's way minor.

Then I noticed the new dead pixel in the bottom left. Back into the box it goes.

Top Bottom