• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

The N3DS is the best "gaming console" ever imo. I'm really impressed and I quit handheld gaming after the GB Advance SP. It's comfortable (I didn't like the OG 3DS), the OS is quick, the design is awesome, the screen size is good (normal N3DS) and there are enough amazing first party titles to keep me entertained for months and years (and the e-shop is great in comparison to WiiU).
It's also the one and only Zelda-Machine. I don't think I'm going to use my Xbone or Ps4 in the next 6 months.
Hopefully the successor won't be released before 2017 (or late 2016). This system still has potential.

Hattori

Banned
So I finally opened my system, but it has the shitty yellow screen. How common are these?
Very common in LCD screens unfortunately. My old XL and my iPad Mini had it, you can either live with it or get it exchanged. By any chance, is it a black XL?

Ecto311

Wanted a car charger and USB charger. I found a car charger at gamestop for $3 and cut it up. I joined it to a USB cable for micro usb since I have a ton of those. All you need is the red and black wires. The rest of them can be cut. Little solder and heat shrink and bam car charger that works in a lot more places. Made 2 and the second one I covered in paracord. Was a lot easier than I thought because the cord stretches.

kttF8eDl.jpg

Cable is about 1.5foot long

LWwDyStl.jpg

Heat shrink. Some black marks from the lighter but no actual burn on the cable.

04RLYuIl.jpg

Ucop2Icl.jpg

Would love to get a hold of a dock that works with the n3ds. I seen a diy version of the old one for the original small one where they just cut off all the side guards and let the bigger system sit on the platform. This won't work with the n3ds because the charge spot in the back is in a different spot.

Why hasn't someone done a shapeways 3d model of a dock with nintendo theme or game theme yet? Or have I just not found them?

narton

Very common in LCD screens unfortunately. My old XL and my iPad Mini had it, you can either live with it or get it exchanged. By any chance, is it a black XL?

Yea, it's a black XL. Gamestop wouldn't switch it out because they only have reds.

Though I'm actually geting used to it becuase it looks like a more natural closer to white versus the cool look of my old Red XL.

So I'm getting at the end of my rope trying to get these goddamn screws unscrewed. Using a double 00 phillips and they just aren't coming off. I did the transfer stuff and everything and now I just need to put the new card in there.

Why the in gods name would they put the memory card deal behind this.

Edit- I too just went into Hulk mode and got this thing off. Finally.

Use a #1, trust me it'll save you the headache.

You're welcome.

Conezays

Probably an old question but, can my new 3DSXL (NA) play old PAL DS games? Was looking at grabbing some rare DS games that appear to be PAL.

Hattori

Banned
Yea, it's a black XL. Gamestop wouldn't switch it out because they only have reds.

Though I'm actually geting used to it becuase it looks like a more natural closer to white versus the cool look of my old Red XL.
I had a feeling it was black unit, it seems most black units (including the special editions) I've come across are having QA problems.

I had a feeling it was black unit, it seems most black units (including the special editions) I've come across are having QA problems.
My black one had top tight of screws, so maybe.

Anyways, what is the best place to buy digital EU games? AUS eShop is $46 USD for most.

Hard for me to search on mobile so figured I'd ask here.

If i get a new 3DS and play a game on it but later want to transfer my old data to the new will it delete everything on the new 3DS?

I'm just planning on buying 1 game so it would just be save data of that game from a retail cart. But I'm not sure if it will save to sd or the cart which is why I ask.
Physical 3DS games save the save data to the cart itself, the only stuff that would save to the SD card would be DLC, update data, or extra data.

Weevilone

My red one had that issue really bad. My MM unit has a bit of it. I don't think color will be a factor with something like this. It's just a QC defect.

Hi guys! just bought a white new 3ds.Everything seems fine but i noticed that The top screen may not be totally enclosed regarding the light sources, its not really that perceptive but here it is:

Should I be concerned?

Is the hinge supposed to be loose after the first opening?

My 3DS is starting to get loose.
No. You got a 3DS with the very common bad hinge defect. Numerous other posters have returned their loose hinge 3DS for a new one and reported that the new one was tight.

Return it, IMO, and hope you don't get another common defect.

Quick quesiton for anybody with a regular new 3ds, do the A and X buttons have a noticeably different click to them compared to the Y and B buttons? A and X feel more "sticky" while Y and B feel more "clicky", wondering if this is normal or not.

Grabbed a New 3DS XL tonight. I have never owned a 3DS. My daughter has had a 2DS and I started playing Animal Crossing which I enjoyed. Then I went to KMart yday and they are liquidating their game section so I got Zeda ALBW for 28 bucks. So I decided it was time to get a New 3DS XL. I ended up with the Red edition tonight since that is all Best Buy had. I couldn't pass up getting it from BB because I signed up for a 10% USPS moving coupon to knock it down to 180 and then I had a $5 RZ Cert so $175. BB has an extra 30% trade in right now and if you have GCU it is 40%. So I traded in $91 bucks in games. So not bad I walked out spending $96 out of pocket!

3D seems improved so I am looking forward to that. That new little C-stick button addition is interesting. I actually like the Red it is growing on me. It looks like Iron Man red.

I was pretty frustrated that I could not link my pre-existing Nintendo ID and Club Nintendo accounts since they are attached to my daughter's 2DS. It amazes me that a household can't share that but it is Nintendo so I shouldn't be too surprised.

Fortunately, I don't have a yellow screen and the hinges are fine which seems to be the most common issues. I need to be on the lookout for a nice case and some type of plate or decals.

Definitely prefer the smaller new 3DS after using the XL for a week. The form factor conforms to the hands better and it doesn't have the crappy screen shimmer effect. I can do a transfer back tomorrow then I'm going to get rid of it.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
After playing several hours with my new 3DS XL, mostly spend on Ironfall, this is my opinion on the system.

- Stable 3DS. A bit of disappointment. Is certainly better than non-adjustable parallax-barrier, but is far from perfect. Seems to be very sensible to lighting conditions. Still, I love the 3D and this feature makes it better.

- New Screen. Coming from the OG 3DS, the lower DPI is kinda of an eyesore at first.

- Improved performance: Much better than I expected! I'm finding hard to believe that the much improved performance is only due to more RAM and double the cores of a very slow CPU.

- C-stick: Is not as good as the circle-pad pro. What bothers me the most is that it hurts my thumb due to it's small size. But is manageable. I have spent several hours of Ironfall with it. Is certainly better than digital aiming with face buttons and I would dare to say that is on par with the OG PSP nub.

Overall, I don't regret my purchase. I liked the OG 3DS and this new version is without a doubt better. However, I would love to be able to use the CPP.

_woLf

the red looks pretty cool in person I don't know why people are hating on it.

I would like the red if the area around the screen was black, like how the OG 3ds handled colors. That way it'd be less distracting when I was staring at a screen for a long time.

Thank Satan that my Red N3DS has no defects.
Congrats! Many on here haven't been as lucky. It would appear the initial NA/Worldwide launch batch was severely rushed.

The most common defects appear to be:
1.) Loose hinge
2.) Dead pixel/s
3.) Yellow screen
4.) Crunchy circle pad

Am I missing any?

the red looks pretty cool in person I don't know why people are hating on it.

The red is gorgeous - awesome enough looking - that I passed down my MMXL to my son, then bought myself a red system.

Interior wise, it's like a lightly shimmered not quite Cardinal/burgundy, not quite deep wine red - but no means light.

It's quite a looker shade of red.

Note: I typically HATE the color red.

DagsJT

I've now gone from an OG XL to an N3DS, to a new XL ... and back to an N3DS.

I found the N3DS a little too small so ordered the new XL. But now I'm finding that the reason I didn't use my OG XL as much as I'd have liked is because of the weight of it just felt uncomfortable.

I'll have to sacrifice the larger screens for the far better ergonomics (I've also got small hands) and the better portability for StreetPass etc.

I've now gone from an OG XL to an N3DS, to a new XL ... and back to an N3DS.

I found the N3DS a little too small so ordered the new XL. But now I'm finding that the reason I didn't use my OG XL as much as I'd have liked is because of the weight of it just felt uncomfortable.

I'll have to sacrifice the larger screens for the far better ergonomics (I've also got small hands) and the better portability for StreetPass etc.
Great post.
That is why I still have my old XL. Hopefully the next handheld is 4 inches horizontal, but same size. I will take 3.5 though. Not as eye straining as 3.

Congrats! Many on here haven't been as lucky. It would appear the initial NA/Worldwide launch batch was severely rushed.

1.) Loose hinge
2.) Dead pixel/s
3.) Yellow screen
4.) Crunchy circle pad

Am I missing any?
Wow really? Guess I am lucky my n3dsxl doesn't have any defects.

1.) Loose hinge
2.) Dead pixel/s
3.) Yellow screen
4.) Crunchy circle pad

Am I missing any?
5.) The warped bottom screen.
6.) Screws are too tight (This is also a regular n3DS issue)
7.) Broken 3D
8.) Faulty C-Stick

The QA really sucks comsidering Nintendo's history.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
At Target and they have a few red units in stock. Was not planning on upgrading.

Is it worth the ~$100 to upgrade? Do I pull the trigger??

ss_lemonade

At Target and they have a few red units in stock. Was not planning on upgrading.

The improved, stable 3d makes it a good enough upgrade for me.

Another thing I just found out after getting my n3ds is that switching to 3d doesn't give you a bluish tint anymore

Yes.

100% yes.

N3DS/N3DSXL is the God tier 3DS hardware incarnation.

My red N3DSXL has 0 faults and the hardware feels rigid (not squeaky or floppy like the old XL or OG) and...

...this incarnation of the hardware finally matches up to the quality of the best games - the 3DS and XL always felt limited and like corners were cut (to save $) - not here.

If you can get an upgrade for 100, then I can see it being worth the money. Remember you have to give up you old charger, so it is probably more...
The 200 price tag made me stay away.

Anyone on the fence about the red I recommend it. I debated it for a while last night. I had credits and a coupon for Best Buy and they only had red. My Target had both black and red. All the demo kiosks I saw were black so it was difficult to compare them. I ended up pulling the trigger and I have to say I am happy I did. The best comparison I can give you is Iron Man armor. The outer plates are glossy and reflect beautifully. There is a subtle diagonal pattern if you look real close (I tried to take a pic but it is too hard to catch), it is a nice quality detail. Also, if you look at the interior the upper screen has a border that is the same as the outer case which ties in the exterior with the interior very well. The hinge and interior is a darker flatter red. Again there is nice detail on the inside with red sparkles infused in the plastic (you have to tilt the 3DS in the light to really see them).

Every gaming electronic I own (Vita, PS3, PS4, and Wii U) is black but I really enjoy mixing it up on this.So if you are in doubt I suggest trying to find one to compare. If you have ruled it out, I think you may want to reconsider it. I almost missed out because I dismissed it without giving it a fair consideration.

//ARCANUM

Does the New 3DS XL fit in previous 3DS XL cases? (Not talking about covers or protectors, but cases). I specifically have the Persona Q case and am hoping that it fits.

Yoshi88

Okay, what do you guys think? How big are the chances that Nintendo will announce a limited edition Xenoblade New 3DSXL? Since there will be faceplates for the smaller one and apparently a theme with release and limited editions will seemingly happen exclusively with the XL variant, do you think, Nintendo could announce a LE in a spontaneous March Direct? After all, it's still one month till release.

I'm so close to ordering a XL tomorrow, but I'm afraid of missing the one LE o could ever be interested in :

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Yes.

100% yes.

N3DS/N3DSXL is the God tier 3DS hardware incarnation.

My red N3DSXL has 0 faults and the hardware feels rigid (not squeaky or floppy like the old XL or OG) and...

...this incarnation of the hardware finally matches up to the quality of the best games - the 3DS and XL always felt limited and like corners were cut (to save $) - not here.
Sounds like you had a bad XL. I have two original XL's that are basically perfect.

So, I black line has appeared on my 3DS screen. Not my pic but it looks exactly like this:

I'm still in the 30 day window to exchange it at futureshop (best buy in Canada) but...how the hell would I make this work when it comes to tranfering my information. I mean...is there even a way?

So, I black line has appeared on my 3DS screen. Not my pic but it looks exactly like this:

I'm still in the 30 day window to exchange it at futureshop (best buy in Canada) but...how the hell would I make this work when it comes to tranfering my information. I mean...is there even a way?
Sounds like you have to send it to NoA to fix it, or get the store to let you do it in-store. That or let you take it home and do it.

Hattori

Banned

Buy a new one, then return this one for a full refund after the transfer

1.) Loose hinge
2.) Dead pixel/s
3.) Yellow screen
4.) Crunchy circle pad

Am I missing any?

My circle pad has some friction resistance, is that what you guys mean for crunchy?

Top Bottom