• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Sucks man

How long was your transfer. I had to leave my 3DSes on all night and most of the morning.

Not long really. 20ish minutes.

New 3DS to New 3DS just does the basics (system data) and then you just swap the micro SD cards.

Anyway back home now, transfer and exchange completed.

Wait so to buy games on the E-shop, you have to add an amount of money first? You can't just pay for the game straight up with a credit card like on XBL?

Varg

Banned
Wait so to buy games on the E-shop, you have to add an amount of money first? You can't just pay for the game straight up with a credit card like on XBL?

I purchased donkey kong land 1 and donkey kong country 3d. Both instances i put in my card and they took the exact amount of money i needed. Its exactly like the other systems, at least in the US.

I purchased donkey kong land 1 and donkey kong country 3d. Both instances i put in my card and they took the exact amount of money i needed. Its exactly like the other systems, at least in the US.
Oh ok. Guess I just got confused with all the "add funds" pages in the store. Thanks.

Edzi

Love the system, waiting for some short of b2g1 free deal on games. Or just generally good deals on games

Good luck waiting. I've had a list of games on my Amazon wishlist for a couple years now and saw barely any price drops or deals. In fact, I started noticing that some of them were rising in price, so a couple days ago I just bought all of my high priority 3ds/ds games at once. It cost me a small fortune, but it's better than finding out it's too late if they've gone out of print.

So I finally got around to being able to check out my N3DS. How do I calibrate the c-stick? I cannot seem to find it in the settings.

Does the 3D screen flicker occasionally for anyone? My screen also seems to dimmer at times.

Is this normal?

Also, what is the yellow screen people keep mentioning? I have noticed that the home screen isn't as white as the O3DS..but then again, I could just be imagining it.

EDIT: No, it's definitely got a yellow'ish tint to it.

braves01

Banned
So I finally got around to being able to check out my N3DS. How do I calibrate the c-stick? I cannot seem to find it in the settings.

Does the 3D screen flicker occasionally for anyone? My screen also seems to dimmer at times.

Is this normal?

Also, what is the yellow screen people keep mentioning? I have noticed that the home screen isn't as white as the O3DS..but then again, I could just be imagining it.

You probably have auto-dim/power save on, which might be why your screen gets dimmer. Just turn it off and the issue should go away. 3D flicker might the eye-tracking or something? The yellowish tint is a "warm" screen, or thats how I've heard it described. I'm not sure if that counts as a defect or is just acceptable variation in manufacturing the screens.

ohlawd

So, I black line has appeared on my 3DS screen. Not my pic but it looks exactly like this:

I'm still in the 30 day window to exchange it at futureshop (best buy in Canada) but...how the hell would I make this work when it comes to tranfering my information. I mean...is there even a way?

how does this happen? I don't want this shit happening to my MH 3DS. I'm fucked if I have to send it for repairs cuz Nintendo don't have replacement units for LEs, right?

Is this normal?

I noticed the flickering but then I noticed that I still had the 3D slider on so once I turned it off completely the flicker was gone..havent noticed any yellowish tint on mine, guess I got lucky, I have the red one, got it from Target, no flickering screen, no wobbly hinges

Lorcain

My black n3DS XL has become my MH4U machine. The c-stick works well and the 3D is actually usable. I tend to start turning and angling the console during hectic monster fights, and surprisingly the 3D doesn't break. I never used 3D with my old XL because it was impossible for me to hold my head that still to make it work.

For MH4U I do have to lower the 3D slider because of the ghosting I get past 50%, but it looks good with the slider near the bottom.

After a couple of weeks I haven't had any issues with quality of the build, no wobble on the top screen, and the screens look good.

Bulbasaur

Banned
It's been 4 days and I still am yet to use my n3ds. The 64gb micro sd I got is refusing to play nice. I copied my old card onto my desktop, formatted the new card with the program nintendo recommends, pasted the data over but its not registering on the new system. So I bought a Sandisk 32gb today, if this doesnt work I'm likely to throw the lot out the window.

mikeebi3

any place to actually get these for retail yet or do I crawl back into my hole for a few more months and wait for a bundle?

Hoping that GS has that Universal Zelda MM 3DS XL case in today (3/2), as it's supposed to be out today (in US), but it's been pushed back a few times already, so who knows.

Also looking to get the HORI duraflexi clear case for the N3DSXL, supposedly releasing on 3/3--hoping to get locally as well, it looks like Best Buy is the only one that's going to carry it for now.

Well guess I'll try asking again, are the ABXY buttons all supposed to have the same click, or are A and X supposed to click differently than B and Y?

My A and X buttons feel noticeably less clicky than the B and Y buttons, I don't want to end up dealing with faulty buttons down the road so would be nice to know while I can still exchange it...

wiibomb

Hoping that GS has that Universal Zelda MM 3DS XL case in today (3/2), as it's supposed to be out today (in US), but it's been pushed back a few times already, so who knows.

Also looking to get the HORI duraflexi clear case for the N3DSXL, supposedly releasing on 3/3--hoping to get locally as well, it looks like Best Buy is the only one that's going to carry it for now.

I need that thing for my MH4U n3DS, but the release in amazon is supposed to be tomorrow and still my delivery date is not updated..

I fear it will be delayed again

Ohnonono

My black n3ds is flawless. Works exactly as advertised.

Certainly nice to hear :D

Now hopefully the transfer does not take too long. I have no digital games (unless Pokemon Bank counts, its pretty small.) Like 5 street passes and then just patches and saves. Hopefully not the 2 hour or all night fiasco people are talking about!

marrec

Banned
Mine as well. Feels a bit chalky. It's the only thing that bugs me, but I get over it quick. I read about some putting WD40 under the pad, but that shit stinks.

Don't do this. WD40 is a solvent, not a lubricant. Not only will "lubricant" effects be completely temporary, but it may also damage the housing of the console and the chipset beneath it.

Keep WD40 away from electronics!

Yes.

100% yes.

N3DS/N3DSXL is the God tier 3DS hardware incarnation.

My red N3DSXL has 0 faults and the hardware feels rigid (not squeaky or floppy like the old XL or OG) and...

...this incarnation of the hardware finally matches up to the quality of the best games - the 3DS and XL always felt limited and like corners were cut (to save $) - not here.

This.

It's the Virtual Boy done right all these years later.

How is the wobble on the hinge of the New XL? If it's better than the original I might get one.

The NMM3DSXL I gave to my son was quasi-floppy (hinge), otherwise perfect.

The Nred3DSXL I bought for myself is completely rigid, with no amount of flop.

Anecdotal, the manager at the GameStop I shop at, has a red one (which I totally envied - color and build); her build is the same as my red: solid.

Can anyone alse see the backlight shine through on the right sided edge of the touch screen? I think the touchscreen on my black n3ds xl is off center slightly to the left. I can see a small slither of light from the top right to the middle side of the touchscreen, but only when the picture is black or if I tilt my device to stare right into the slit.

I'm thinking of opening it up and adjusting it myself.

Otherwise, this is my first 3ds since my ds lite was stolen. I'm still completely amazed by the 3d, especially in Mario 3d world. Completely addicted to mh4u too. When I first turned it on though, I thought I had a defective screen, but I realized its just the really low resolution and subpar display panel quality. Giant pixels, muddy colors. Even though its a device bought in 2015, it's still mostly 3ds tech, which wasn't really modern in its time too except for the innovative 3d. That nintendo shop loading music is incredible though.

I need that thing for my MH4U n3DS, but the release in amazon is supposed to be tomorrow and still my delivery date is not updated..

I fear it will be delayed again
Best Buy changed the date for the HORI clear case to 3/8. Zelda case is delayed to 3/13.

Amazon still listing 3/3 for the clear case (at time of this post), so hope all goes well with your order.

how does this happen? I don't want this shit happening to my MH 3DS. I'm fucked if I have to send it for repairs cuz Nintendo don't have replacement units for LEs, right?

It just randomly happened while I was playing Majora's Mask. The entire line just appeared all at once.

Patchy

Banned
My MM 3DS' 3D effect is stuffed.

Anyone else having this issue? I have gone through the setup for super-stable-3D multiple times but all I get is a ghosting effect.

wiibomb

Best Buy changed the date for the HORI clear case to 3/8. Zelda case is delayed to 3/13.

Amazon still listing 3/3 for the clear case (at time of this post), so hope all goes well with your order.

That sounds more like your eyes are still not used to the 3D effect, It happened to me, but then my eyes got used and the ghosting was gone

That sounds more like your eyes are still not used to the 3D effect, It happened to me, but then my eyes got used and the ghosting was gone
I know I had issues where my eyes would make the screen flicker for no reason.
I knew it was a reason because I had no issues the week before.

If it is consistent, then it may be a system problem.

IronRinn

Sorry if this has been discussed previously, but should I just be looking into importing a charging cradle? Is there any indication that they'll be released here (preferably in red)?

Danneee

Just ordered the black n3ds, and if I'm lucky I might get help from Nintendo to recover my old account and keep all the crap I already bought!

Kandinsky

3DS XL's cases/pouch should work for N3DSXL right?, I'm currently looking for a classy one, too bad the MH4 one is sold out on amazon D:

TI82

Banned
Got my decal, screen protector, and memory card.

cLa0ami.jpg

TI82

Banned
That red is sexy in the photo. Wish that the photos online were better -- looks like trash in the Best Buy photos. Oh well, black looks pretty great too.

Thanks. Waiting on that hori duriflex to keep it nice lol. Also found a nice magikarp case to hold it all in on etsy

Meesh

So based on upcoming games, any bets on what's the next N3DS limited edition? Looking to pick up whatever's hot for my sons. Currently I own Majora's LE and my wife has the Mon Hon.

Top Bottom