• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Offical APF 2k8 Xbox 360 League Thread: Here comes the rain again!

SickBoy

If anyone's up for a game, let me know...

My remaining sched:

Boston
Pittsburgh
Houston
Newark
East Lansing
Las Vegas
Tacoma
Overland Park
San Francisco
Salt Lake City
Fort Worth
Providence
Raleigh
New Jersey
Chicago

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
I have to say shamrock is insane. That guy is a hell of a competitor and I would love to not have to play him in the playoffs. His passing game is unstoppable. He hits the routes at the just right times to exploit your D if its off even a little bit. Well done.

I wish I could get something going passing. Other than that clutch Passing TD with 18 seconds to go I can't legitimately say I completed more than 3 good passes. Even with Bernie with laser arm 2nd level charged it still doesn't seem to get there fast enough.

It's gonna be hard stopping shammy boys. Enjoy it :D

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Who wants to try to play me now,league game of course? :(

I swear to god if I have another network drop game...IM DONE!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Sickboy im in the lobby,feel free to challenge me,im Houston...

hopefully we can play a full game.

dang, chrisjames pulled a John Carney in our game. first off let me say that you know when the run game is broken when the quickest and most effective way to move the ball when yo uare down 7 points with under 2 minutes left and you have 84 yards to go is to run the ball... wtf :lol

anyways he scores a td with 30 seconds left, 20-19, then misses the xp. ouch :(

Matrix

haha I hate how its still the same damn running game from 2k5 :lol

GG sickboy *sigh*

SickBoy

gg matrix... sorry about taking that last run if it bothered you, but my philosophy goes to real-life.... can't ask a back to go down when he's earned a bit of daylight.

Anyhow, gg all around. Man, does that manual d control just always make big plays for my opponents (in fairness, I managed to stop a couple of plays with it too)... saw a couple of tackling issues on your end too. Can be frustrating..

Matrix

Nah that didnt bother me,the game itself bothers me :lol

Playing manual D bites you in the ass 90% of the time,trying to manually tackle is reallllll fun.

I was falling/sliding off players left and right.

vumpler

Hunter D said:
You guys are having problems stopping the run? Passing is what kills me. The run is easy to stop if you fill gaps.
I mean honestly passing is THE hardest to stop, however if a good offensive player mixes it up really well you don't have a chance to close every gap or you'll get crushed. I think I've found a solution to stopping the run but I'm not 100% certain about it just yet.

Maverick

This is sort of irrelevant, but I noticed something when I was playing offline last night trying to get some practice in (no one was around in the lobby)....

All-Pro bums me out because Offense>>>Defense every time. This is probably apparent to me because I picked almost my entire team based around strong D.

Last night I'm playing the CPU who has a silver RB in Ottis Anderson. Anderson catches a screen pass while I've got Tatum coming on a blitz to that side. I quickly take control of Tatum, charge him up, and unleash a Big Hit that seems sure to pop Anderson's goddamn helmet off like Madden '02.

Only Anderson doesn't get flattened, he somehow manages to shrug off Tatum's big hit when his shoulders aren't even square. He ends up running 30 yards for a touchdown.

See, I know I'm not very good at this game. I'm completely cool with that, and I could care less if I win or lose games. All I want is for games to be fun and realistic while I'm losing, and damnit, when I've spent a draft pick on one of the hardest hitters in NFL history - a guy who has ended careers early - and he has a free shot at a silver running back, I want Tatum to take his freaking head off.

Yeah, Lambert is better at tackling than my scrub linebackers, but really, there's not that X-factor there that made him so effective in real life, while on the offensive side of the ball, guys like Sanders and Campbell actually are unique and deadly.

All-Pro has that cool-factor going for it when you're controlling offensive legends, but when you're playing D, you never really feel as lethal as you should controlling defensive legends.

Make defense mean something, VC.

vumpler

On my non league team I have Tatum and I've never had anyone get past him. No one gets past lem barney either. The way VC made the game is that you HAVE to use Up or Down on the right analog or you're not stopping shit. If you're up against a physical back, pull down. If you're up against a WR or juke back, push up. It will shut them down every time. Big hit IS broken in this game for sure, so acknowledge it (like you have done) and move on. Now if you come big him Big Earl with Tatum it damn well better let me take the hit and fall forward for a few yards because damnit it happened and we have it on tape! :lol

But definitely mess around with charging and hitting up or down on the right analogue. I think you’ll see major differences in your tackling game.

Edit: Also if anyone gets on before 12:15 CST I would like to start a league game up if you can ;)

FrenchMovieTheme said:
dang, chrisjames pulled a John Carney in our game. first off let me say that you know when the run game is broken when the quickest and most effective way to move the ball when yo uare down 7 points with under 2 minutes left and you have 84 yards to go is to run the ball... wtf :lol

anyways he scores a td with 30 seconds left, 20-19, then misses the xp. ouch :(

GG man. That missed XP really hurt; I can't believe I missed that :(

Once again, I should be able to play some games later tonight...

Also, how are we deciding who goes to the playoffs? The top 8 records or is it divided into divisions? I'm assuming the top 8 W-L % teams.

Ramirez

DMczaf said:
Okoye and Ottis Anderson are on track for 2500 yards each :lol Earl Campbell is averaging 12 yards a carry @_@

Also, theres been TWO fumbles in the entire league so far. Up that slider to 100, FMT!

Man, I was about to ask this last night, I've played 20+ games and have yet to see a fumble. :lol

And yea, I feel my pick on Reggie White was a waste, he doesn't get any pressure at all no matter if I control him or the cpu controls, and it doesn't seem to matter what level of player he's going up against.

Jube3

DMczaf said:
Also, theres been TWO fumbles in the entire league so far. Up that slider to 100, FMT!

That can't be right, I fumbled 4 times alone in my 30-0 loss to Akaballa :lol

That match still keeps me up at night :lol

Matrix

10 more games left! 0-6 baby!

I need to get these all done,so I can get rid of this piece of crap.I'm trading it in either Sat or Sun so I need to get these done.

Anyone thats around now or who is on my schedule im free to play whenever tonight.

BirdBomb

Banned
good god, is madden here yet? this defense is ridiculous. opponents scoring summary:

1. field goal set up by a pass in triple coverage to drew pearson
2. short TD run set up by a huge "pass" when his RB catches the ball after i nail his QB and the ball just wobbles out. 2 dudes standing right by the RB when he catches that miracle but hey, why would they try to tackle him?
3. bomb to drew pearson in double coverage
4. generic no name guy is, for some reason, left with no one within 30 yards of him on a defensive play with only one man blitzing. touchdown

there is no reason to really even bother on the defensive side of the ball. cant wait for tuesday. gg though.

one thing though, calling a regular defensive play against a punt or fg and then calling an audible to get your star players in is pure crap. i dont even remember who i played but they did it twice, one time coming inches away from blocking a punt and another time trying to block an EP when the score was 27-27. come on.

and i dont want to make it sound as if the ripoffs were only one way, davis had over 10 yards a carry and some of the runs rivaled 2k5 on the ridiculous scale. just goes to show the whole defense am broken total.

vumpler

It's nothing that can't be patched. I will give madden some time before I full judge the situation. We should start the playoffs Sunday. Because if we start the madden league everyone knows the APF league will go to shit. And I actually enjoy APF a lot even with its faults. I've found ways to shut down everyone when I've needed to so far except shamrock. That's talking about everyone i've played online in my ~80 games. I really do feel there is a huge learning curve with the D in this game though. I know its broken in a sense but everything is definitely stoppable. I really hope we don't start madden because that would make my road to the championship game completely pointless lol. I worked hard on learning to play D in this game :(

BirdBomb

Banned
vumpler said:
It's nothing that can't be patched. I will give madden some time before I full judge the situation. We should start the playoffs Sunday. Because if we start the madden league everyone knows the APF league will go to shit. And I actually enjoy APF a lot even with its faults. I've found ways to shut down everyone when I've needed to so far except shamrock. That's talking about everyone i've played online in my ~80 games. I really do feel there is a huge learning curve with the D in this game though. I know its broken in a sense but everything is definitely stoppable. I really hope we don't start madden because that would make my road to the championship game completely pointless lol. I worked hard on learning to play D in this game :(

im not trying to be a dick but you allow like 26 points a game in your 5 games thus far. are you mistaken or is this game just so broken on defense that 26 points a game = shutting someone down? there is no learning curve, defense just seems entirely random and entirely lucky.

Ramirez

I'm pretty sure the only reason you really care about this game/league is because you know you have a pretty good shot at winning the league. :lol

Hunter D

BirdBomb said:
good god, is madden here yet? this defense is ridiculous. opponents scoring summary:

1. field goal set up by a pass in triple coverage to drew pearson
2. short TD run set up by a huge "pass" when his RB catches the ball after i nail his QB and the ball just wobbles out. 2 dudes standing right by the RB when he catches that miracle but hey, why would they try to tackle him?
3. bomb to drew pearson in double coverage
4. generic no name guy is, for some reason, left with no one within 30 yards of him on a defensive play with only one man blitzing. touchdown

there is no reason to really even bother on the defensive side of the ball. cant wait for tuesday. gg though.

one thing though, calling a regular defensive play against a punt or fg and then calling an audible to get your star players in is pure crap. i dont even remember who i played but they did it twice, one time coming inches away from blocking a punt and another time trying to block an EP when the score was 27-27. come on.

and i dont want to make it sound as if the ripoffs were only one way, davis had over 10 yards a carry and some of the runs rivaled 2k5 on the ridiculous scale. just goes to show the whole defense am broken total.
That was me you played. I am not going to play anything off. I audible into punt block. Derrick Thomas is really fast so I try to have him on the field as much as possible. The passes I beat you deep with where thrown to the inside of your men. What I did is something that I have been doing since madden 97. Overload one side of the field and have all three wr on that side run deep routes. Your guys blew the coverage twice and that was all I needed. The triple coverage pass that I completed was a hole in your zone that I took advantage of. You had 4 lbs on the field at the time. The last td I scored was just a blown coverage or a hole in your zone. You blitzed one and your fs got frozen on the crossing patterns and didn't know who to cover.

Edit- I am going to win the league. I'm not playing for second place.

Matrix

I'm free to play anyone on my schedule in like 30 mins.

Post in here if you want a free W.

BirdBomb

Banned
Hunter D said:
That was me you played. I am not going to play anything off. I audible into punt block. Derrick Thomas is really fast so I try to have him on the field as much as possible. The passes I beat you deep with where thrown to the inside of your men. What I did is something that I have been doing since madden 97. Overload one side of the field and have all three wr on that side run deep routes. Your guys blew the coverage twice and that was all I needed. The triple coverage pass that I completed was a hole in your zone that I took advantage of. You had 4 lbs on the field at the time. The last td I scored was just a blown coverage or a hole in your zone. You blitzed one and your fs got frozen on the crossing patterns and didn't know who to cover.

Edit- I am going to win the league. I'm not playing for second place.

for starters coming out in a regular defense then calling an audible is lame as hell. the game doesnt account for a special teams squad full of star players and its taking advantage of the game in a lame ass way. i got lucky that you didnt get a block BOTH times. you're going to open a can of worms with that kind of play because trust me, there are plenty of other glitches in this game people can use.

you beat me on one deep pass and pearson jumped for it with two guys ahead of him, it wasnt thrown to the inside. furthermore who cares anyway, if i have double coverage back there my guys should be able to make a play, especially 2 star players. the triple coverage pass was man coverage, i had a corner, a safety and tom jackson right there but you caught it anyway. oh well, thems the breaks.

the last td was also man coverage and the only blitz was manually with me controlling jackson. everyone else was supposed to be in man coverage, someone just forgot about generic no name running up the sideline.

Hunter D

BirdBomb said:
for starters coming out in a regular defense then calling an audible is lame as hell. the game doesnt account for a special teams squad full of star players and its taking advantage of the game in a lame ass way. i got lucky that you didnt get a block BOTH times. you're going to open a can of worms with that kind of play because trust me, there are plenty of other glitches in this game people can use.
How is that glitching? I didn't do something impossible or something that isn't supposed to happen. What I did with Pearson works in every football game I have played and teams in nfl do it all the time (especially peyton manning). The first time I completed the pass you were in zone because I didn't see anyone shift during the motion. The second time I did you were in man. Both times I threw the pass I threw it to the inside.

Matrix

Whats the secret to drawing cpu controlled players offsides?

Jason Smapity did it to my cpu players 3 times last game and I hadnt had that happen.

I dont give a shit in the long run and im not calling him out cause I cant stand the game,but does anyone have a clue? It didnt seem like he was calling a ton of audibles to get a man to jump.

BirdBomb

Banned
we must be thinking about different passing routes because i am talking about the 3rd down play on your first drive in triple coverage and your bomb right before the half in double coverage. both were against man, i think you are thinking about the plays where you sent pearson in motion. the one time you threw deep to him after motion it was swatted down and butkus got hit with a holding penalty somewhere else on the field.

the glitching thing was about the audible on special teams. i dont see how there is any way to defend that. that is no different than doing something like coming out in dime then calling a 4-3 audible or coming out in 5 wide then calling an audible putting wideouts at tight end or fullback.

vumpler

Matrix said:
Whats the secret to drawing cpu controlled players offsides?

Jason Smapity did it to my cpu players 3 times last game and I hadnt had that happen.

I dont give a shit in the long run and im not calling him out cause I cant stand the game,but does anyone have a clue? It didnt seem like he was calling a ton of audibles to get a man to jump.
X button.

And Birdy like it said "When I need to." Shutting someone out is not necessary. I generally know in the first two possessions if I will have a handle on the game or not, and if I feel I do then there's no reason to play shut down D the whole damn game. Actually that would be a complete dick thing to do. Even in the NFL, yes they try to consistently play hard D but when you're up by 21 its just not necessary. I play the game my style, and thats how I roll with it. To call me out on how many points I give up would give someone false confidence coming into our game...

vumpler

Ramirez said:
I'm pretty sure the only reason you really care about this game/league is because you know you have a pretty good shot at winning the league. :lol

Well to be honest I do feel like I have a shot at it. Not saying its a good or bad shot, but a shot indeed. I worked pretty damn hard honestly to scout out what are the ESSENTIAL positions to fill with star players. What positions you have to have Gold and Silver players. I played 70 games online prior to the league starting trying to give myself an advantage going into the draft and into the league. I feel like I've done that and am trying to prove if it was worth it or not. Apparently from everyones responses it must not be worth it because everyone has given up on the game. Regardless I like the game because I feel I understand how to make the tackles and read the runs and get my players where they need to be to fill gaps.

But yes the game is incredibly non gamer friendly unless you try everything out for about 30 hours. But at this point no one cares enough for it lol. At least Madden will be super user friendly and responsive as usual so at least that won't be the complaint.

Matrix

X button,damn that X button!

Chris,I cant seem to access 2k online,are you on my schedule? cause I can play now.

Matrix

:lol lmao I already played you Chris,my bad.

edit- Im in the lobby,so anyone on my schedule who hasnt played me who wants to play im good to go.

Matrix

Yea see my post above,im kinda out of it :lol I just want to get all my games done with by this weekend.

Yeah, I hear ya. Good luck getting all your games done. You could still go on a 10 game win streak, finish the season 10-6, and make the playoffs!

Matrix

:lol Not with the team FMT drafted me.

I cant stand the D/and the 2k5 running game and have no desire to put the time in to learn a broken game.

Im not making the playoffs at all,that is a fact.

No matter what,im trading the game in this weekend towards Madden,I need the extra 20% gamestop store credit :p

I cant even beat a random opponent and half the time I cant even play a full game due to network errors :\

Matrix

Konex read my mlb post!

FREE W!

I suck worse.

SickBoy

I'm gonna hop into the lobby for a few minutes and see if there are any players looking for easy success :) Might not be able to use mic tonight, though, got company sleeping upstairs...

Matrix

Wow Shamrock just raped my team...good game :lol

F-ing lost Mike Golic my best DT for the rest of my games,1 less bronze player :lol on D.

0-7 baby! whoooo

Shamrock

Banned
Matrix said:
:lol Not with the team FMT drafted me.

I cant stand the D/and the 2k5 running game and have no desire to put the time in to learn a broken game.

Im not making the playoffs at all,that is a fact.

No matter what,im trading the game in this weekend towards Madden,I need the extra 20% gamestop store credit :p

I cant even beat a random opponent and half the time I cant even play a full game due to network errors :\

Your not bad at the game. You played a pretty good game. The only thing that hurt you was playing "Madden Style" with your QB on some plays. In this game its very hard to throw successful passes while backpedaling and throwing off your back foot. You did it 4/5 times and none were completed passes and 2 were INT's. If you got away from that habit the game would have been real close.

BTW you had some excellent plays to. The George Run was awesome when you spun away from 2 defenders.

Though I thought it was pretty funny when Jeff George Ran over Mike Golic and injured him..:lol

Top Bottom