• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Offical APF 2k8 Xbox 360 League Thread: Here comes the rain again!

LiveWire

SickBoy said:
I thought the intent was to wait for a position to be "done" before selecting created players (I'm looking at you, John Riggins).

EDIT: Speaking of Riggins, I know he's a HOFer, but I don't know if I would classify him among the gold-tier backs...

From pro-football-reference.com:

Among the league's all-time top 50 rushers:

Rushing Attempts: 10th (ahead of OJ and Earl Campbell)
Rushing yards: 13th (also ahead of OJ and Earl)
Rushing TDs: 5th (ahead of Sanders, OJ and Earl)
Yards from scrimmage: 23th (ahead of OJ and Earl)
Rush/Receive TDs: 9th (Tied with Terrell Owens)

So yea, I'd say Riggins qualifies as a Gold--not a 5-talent gold, but definitely a 3 talent.

Oh and BTW it's your pick too. :D

Hunter D

Why the hell isn't Phil Simms gold? He is one of the most clutch qbs to ever play the game. The man had some legendary playoff performances.

Jube3

Hunter D said:
Feels like home.

Im gonna have to mark Cerebral Palsy vs Hunter D on my calendar, too bad there isnt a spectate mode in this game like virtua tennis. The amount of shit talking and instigating from the sidelines would be hilarious

unomas

Banned
Jube3 said:
Im gonna have to mark Cerebral Palsy vs Hunter D on my calendar, too bad there isnt a spectate mode in this game like virtua tennis. The amount of shit talking and instigating from the sidelines would be hilarious

When Thomas sacks Elway for the first time fireworks will surely go off in that game! :lol

a_elway.jpg

Enron

Banned
unomas said:
When Thomas sacks Elway for the first time fireworks will surely go off in that game! :lol

DerrickThomasJohnElway_092296.jpg

Who was the guy that Thomas sacked 7 times in a game? Was that Dave Krieg?

BirdBomb

Banned
i don't think TD should be a gold. He had like 2-3 good years. before that i doubt you heard of the guy. After his good seasons, he went out with an injury. Bo Jackson was unstoppable, cut down by an injury, he's a silver. MOVE TD DOWN!!!!!

also, can we make players that aren't on that list? Like Bill Bates from the cowboys?

unomas

Banned
Enron said:
Who was the guy that Thomas sacked 7 times in a game? Was that Dave Krieg?

I don't remember who it was, definitely could have been Krieg though.........he was slow as hell.

Enron

Banned
BirdBomb said:
i don't think TD should be a gold. He had like 2-3 good years. before that i doubt you heard of the guy. After his good seasons, he went out with an injury. Bo Jackson was unstoppable, cut down by an injury, he's a silver. MOVE TD DOWN!!!!!

also, can we make players that aren't on that list? Like Bill Bates from the cowboys?

I don't know, the dude totally dominated for 4 seasons before getting hurt. He only played in 20 games over the next three seasons after that, so really he dominated for 4 out of what amounted to 5 seasons in his career. If Bo's a gold, so is this guy.

16-game averages - 1500 yards, 12TDs, 4.6 yards per carry

LiveWire

It's really hard to create a player that looks anything other than generic. In the small view it kinda looks like Riggins but the full-size looks like Athlete #246758. Oh well. Also, you can't put a birthdate older than January 1st, 1954. Kinda weird....

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Rorschach said:
Can I make Bro Jackzon?

Gold RB
:lol

That would screw up everything though in my opinion. Because if the juice was available after your pick I'm sure someone would have went a different direction. So that chain reaction would be crazy. Maybe in this case FMT would consider allowing you to trade with matt if both of you agreed? Eh actually theres not a good way to deal with this situation :lol .

Jube3

anyone know when/if theres gonna be league sites for all pro football? They're usually up by the games launch no?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
oh yeah, well...Bo's High School is right next door, so I should get him :p

Oh yeah, go ahead and take off the asterisk on my name, I found a $25 gift card and picked up the game...Hope I have a job by the time Madden comes out.

sickboy takes deacon jones.

1. AkaBalla - Walter Payton
2. pheeniks - Dan Marino
3. Coldblooded - Barry Sanders
4. vumpler - earl campbell
5. birdbomb - emmitt smith
6. zep - Cool Joe Montana
7. bluemax - Marcus Allen
8. matrix - Warren Moon
9. DMczaf - Gale Sayers
10 Rors - Orenthal James Simpson
11 truelize - Jerry Rice
12 andokuky - Dick Butkus
13 Cerebral Palsy - John Elway
14 malleymal - Roger Staubach
15 maverick - Jack Lambert
16 jube3 - Rod Woodson
17 gcquinton - Mike Singletary
18 ramirez - Reggie White
19 Conex - Troy Aikman
20 sableholic - Thurman Thomas
21 mrbob - Johnny Unitas
22 shawnhann - Otto Graham
23 speculawyer - Raymond Berry
24 livewire - John Riggins
25 lonestar - Joe Namath
26 dammitmatt - Bo Jackson
27 FMT - Steve Young
28 chrisjames - Mike Di'ka
29 hunterD - Derrick Thomas
30 bonsevan - Jim Brown
31. enron - Eric Dickerson
32. sickboy - Deacon Jones
---------

Round 1 is finished! and it only took like a week!

Rounds 2-11 will take place tomorrow at 6 pm pst (probably will START at 6:15 for the johnny-come-latelies!)

IF you cant make it, please send me a list of the players you want in each category.

If you DONT send me a list, i'm going to pick for you. now i'm not going to be a dick about it and pick bums for you, but dont bitch if you get someone you didn't want. you had a week to prepare for this draft!

pm me with questions or concerns fellas!

p.s. lonestar: or you could win this league and get a free copy of madden from me!

yes, this is going to be on aim. i will restate that:

THE DRAFT FOR ROUNDS 2-11 WILL BE ON AIM IN A ROOM CREATED BY MYSELF! IF YOU DON'T HAVE AIM I SUGGEST YOU DL IT, IT WILL TAKE YOU LITERALLY 5 MINS TO GET ALL SETUP. THEN YOU CAN DELETE IT IF YOU ARE THAT OPPOSED TO HAVING AN AIM ACCOUNT... I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU WOULD BE THOUGH.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
FMT just pick for me since I'm not sure when im getting my 360 back and someone else might have to use the team.

I just want one more player if he's around....WR Ernest Givens!

I also havent had a week to prepare.

Lonestar

oh, and I assume under QB, since I don't see a tough as nails choice, it'll be durability bonus?

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Unomas you could have a spot already! Shawn might not play. Get in touch with him for the latest updates.

SickBoy

LiveWire said:
From pro-football-reference.com:

Among the league's all-time top 50 rushers:

Rushing Attempts: 10th (ahead of OJ and Earl Campbell)
Rushing yards: 13th (also ahead of OJ and Earl)
Rushing TDs: 5th (ahead of Sanders, OJ and Earl)
Yards from scrimmage: 23th (ahead of OJ and Earl)
Rush/Receive TDs: 9th (Tied with Terrell Owens)

So yea, I'd say Riggins qualifies as a Gold--not a 5-talent gold, but definitely a 3 talent.

And a career average of 3.9 a carry... and less than 1,000 yards a season. Meh :)

LiveWire

Has anyone tried creating a runningback (gold, silver or bronze) with Branching Tackles? I just played 3 games against the different-caliber team defenses and the red circle (where you tap A to break a tackle) appeared just once. Something's seriously wrong with that. I noticed in the career star for the created player it said "Years Pro: 1". Anyone know if that is a factor in attributes? If everyone is going to have to play several offline seasons to get their created players playing at full potential we're gonna be waiting a while to start the season.

Hunter D

Cerebral Palsy said:
I think we should kick Hunter D from the league. You promised that spot to Unomas, FMT. It's only fair.
Guess you can see that the future is bleak for you. Our game will be murder. Too bad for you that I'll be the one walking out and you'll be the one in the body bag.

Jube3

Hunter D said:
Guess you can see that the future is bleak for you. Our game will be murder. Too bad for you that I'll be the one walking out and you'll be the one in the body bag.

5zdr9mg.gif

last warning guys! if you aren't going to be on AIM at 6 pm pst, and you don't send me your picks, then don't come crying when you end up with a dallas cowboy on your team!

btw, my AIM is whossorrynow015

Rorschach

btw- aim has offline messaging now so you can message someone while they're offline and they'll get it as soon as they pop back in.

LiveWire

Apparently if you unlock all acheivements in the game you can add 2 abilities to any/all of your created Gold-tier players, giving them up to 5 abilities.

LiveWire

LiveWire said:
Has anyone tried creating a runningback (gold, silver or bronze) with Branching Tackles? I just played 3 games against the different-caliber team defenses and the red circle (where you tap A to break a tackle) appeared just once. Something's seriously wrong with that. I noticed in the career star for the created player it said "Years Pro: 1". Anyone know if that is a factor in attributes? If everyone is going to have to play several offline seasons to get their created players playing at full potential we're gonna be waiting a while to start the season.

enron and bonsevan you may want to try this as well if you're drafting Brown and Dickerson.....

LiveWire said:
enron and bonsevan you may want to try this as well if you're drafting Brown and Dickerson.....

I'm hoping that there is a hidden easter egg that unlocks a super powerful beast when you name your created player Bo Jackson, so it won't be an issue for me.

Also, I'm not sure if it's fair to have 4 and 5 ability created players just for the idiots like me who will run through the game fairly quickly to unlock all of the achievements, as much as I'd love to give Bo 5....

Do we have a definitive list of the created players that are eligible to be drafted? With the new list, what does that do to our overall list as far as # of golds/silvers/bronzes? Can someone throw that list into an Excel sheet or something (complete with columns) so we'll all have good tools to help us draft our team tonight?

LiveWire

Don't bother creating Bo Jackson matt, the create a player is definitely broken. I created a different Gold running back with stamina, branching tackles and speed burner, and not only did he only break 1 tackle (red circle) during the game I played, but he also could not play more than 6-8 carries in a drive (unlike Earl who can go 14 or more per drive). He also was caught by several non-star linebackers and even a d-lineman on runs to the outside and down the field!

I've played 8 practice games between the two created Golds and they performed miserably compared to any game-roster Gold.

Lonestar, have you tried your created Joe Namath yet? I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play even close to any other same-tier QB.

If this is how created Gold-tier players perform, forget it. I'm going to change my pick to a game-roster Gold instead (and I'd suggest the other 1st rounders who picked the option of creating Gold-tier players do the same).

Enron

Banned
LiveWire said:
Don't bother creating Bo Jackson matt, the create a player is definitely broken. I created a different Gold running back with stamina, branching tackles and speed burner, and not only did he only break 1 tackle (red circle) during the game I played, but he also could not play more than 6-8 carries in a drive (unlike Earl who can go 14 or more per drive). He also was caught by several non-star linebackers and even a d-lineman on runs to the outside and down the field!

I've played 8 practice games between the two created Golds and they performed miserably compared to any game-roster Gold.

Lonestar, have you tried your created Joe Namath yet? I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play even close to any other same-tier QB.

If this is how created Gold-tier players perform, forget it. I'm going to change my pick to a game-roster Gold instead (and I'd suggest the other 1st rounders who picked the option of creating Gold-tier players do the same).

I tried it with created-Dickerson, and he seemed fine to me. Someone earlier said they tried it with a created Terrel Davis, and he stomped ass with him. So I dunno.

AkaBalla

Terrel Davis whipped me... So im not sure.. i think the only downfall from reading along is that stamina is low and branching tackles doesnt work.

BirdBomb

Banned
looking at the list now, i had the wrong abilities for terrell davis though. i didnt have the ankle breaker ability on, which doesnt apply to him anyway imho :lol

i have created a few players with a stamina ability and they seem to never tire. as far as RB's go and the branching tackle, its all a matter of how you use the rb and what the situation is when you're getting tackled. i get a lot of the red ring things even with scrub rb's for some reason. i've never had a problem with getting caught by other players either, even with a guy who isnt that fast. are you sure you're tapping A for speed burst?

Lonestar

I don't know if Namath is up to the gold star crowd or not, simply because I don't think I'm very good at this "meh" game. Seems too arcadey, and I still haven't gotten the buttons down yet after years of Madden/NCAA.

How can we be sure for these created players that they gave them the correct abilities (ie the ones in that list) and not some other ones? Also someone mentioned being able to add more abilities by some unlockable, does that mean someone could get the unlockable and have more features than they normally should?

Hey guys, I'm officially withdrawing for this league. This game is just not any fun to me. You guys have at it, and I'll see you all when the real deal holyfield in Madden '08 drops next month. Have fun fellas!

AkaBalla

Shawnwhann said:
Hey guys, I'm officially withdrawing for this league. This game is just not any fun to me. You guys have at it, and I'll see you all when the real deal holyfield in Madden '08 drops next month. Have fun fellas!

Good luck... Hopefully Madden will be sim since 2k is the definition of sim games.. Let me know if it is because i'm not buying that crap ever again...

Top Bottom