• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Offical APF 2k8 Xbox 360 League Thread: Here comes the rain again!

that other league won't be as good as ours :D

if you feel that the abilities listed are incorrect, feel free to add your own abilities but they should be realistic. for instance, john riggins would never have speed burner.

SickBoy

Madden definitely sounds good this year (according to 1Up)... my only concern is I have almost no faith in anyone's evaluation of football games -- there's just so much unknown baggage in any sports review -- what does the reviewer appreciate from a football game? Sadly, I trust FMT, Madden-whore though he is, and a few other GAFers, more than any sort of 'professional' source.

That said, I've been pleasantly surprised by 2K8, because I didn't think 2K5 was all that great. Lucky for me, because I made the purchase completely blind (other than knowing I liked the concept and the animation)

SickBoy said:
Madden definitely sounds good this year (according to 1Up)... my only concern is I have almost no faith in anyone's evaluation of football games -- there's just so much unknown baggage in any sports review -- what does the reviewer appreciate from a football game? Sadly, I trust FMT, Madden-whore though he is, and a few other GAFers, more than any sort of 'professional' source.

That said, I've been pleasantly surprised by 2K8, because I didn't think 2K5 was all that great. Lucky for me, because I made the purchase completely blind (other than knowing I liked the concept and the animation)

It's sad when the lead sports game reviewer on a site (1up, for instance), doesn't like college football, barely likes the NFL, sucks at sports games, and doesn't play defense. I'm sure he's good at Winning Eleven or something, but they really need to find some freelance reviewers who know what they are doing and play more than five games before reviewing a game.

Mrbob

My main concern for Madden right now is online.

Sure EA patched Madden 07 360 last year, but that was running at 30FPS.

08 is running at 60.

bluemax

Banned
I might not be able to make it to the draft, where can I find the full list/rankings of players? I have an idea of who I want but I need to add alternates of course.

Akaballa said:
Good luck... Hopefully Madden will be sim since 2k is the definition of sim games.. Let me know if it is because i'm not buying that crap ever again...

Well I would agree with you on the 2K being the sim authority with the NBA and NHL licenses, but its football games while inspired just always seem to have unpardonable issues. While I dont want to kill the buzz you all have with this game, I'll just say I have never felt as helpless playing defense with the way overdone momentum system. The controls are just too unresponsive for my taste even after playing 15 games.... Thank god for Gamefly!

Hopefully you'll join us for Season 10 of Madden, at the worst you'll pay 9 bucks for a month with Gamefly...

Rorschach

SickBoy said:

As much as a like FMT and most of the football gamers, I don't trust them when the game first launches because it's always the best game ever. They liked Madden 06, they loved Madden 07, and they said 2K5 was the best football sim of all time when it was first released. :p

dammitmattt said:
It's sad when the lead sports game reviewer on a site (1up, for instance), doesn't like college football, barely likes the NFL, sucks at sports games, and doesn't play defense. I'm sure he's good at Winning Eleven or something, but they really need to find some freelance reviewers who know what they are doing and play more than five games before reviewing a game.
Yeah, most of the major sites that dub some guy their "sports guy" have no clue what makes a sports game good and barely watch any if at all.

Ramirez

Shawnwhann said:
Well I would agree with you on the 2K being the sim authority with the NBA and NHL licenses, but its football games while inspired just always seem to have unpardonable issues. While I dont want to kill the buzz you all have with this game, I'll just say I have never felt as helpless playing defense with the way overdone momentum system. The controls are just too unresponsive for my taste even after playing 15 games.... Thank god for Gamefly!

Hopefully you'll join us for Season 10 of Madden, at the worst you'll pay 9 bucks for a month with Gamefly...

I fully agree with you on the def. momentum, and I've voiced my opinion several times in the official thread in gaming side. But it's not enough to make me not want to play the game yet.

unomas

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
that other league won't be as good as ours :D

if you feel that the abilities listed are incorrect, feel free to add your own abilities but they should be realistic. for instance, john riggins would never have speed burner.

Alright, I'm in if I can dump Otto Graham and make a different selection for my first rounder.

Zep

Banned
Ok, me and FMT played(blow me bitch) and I adjusted some sliders(Human coverage, human pursuit) and noticed the stuck in mud animation doesnt happen as much just as long as you dont go full on into the joystick going a different direction. But i will say even on "Fast" it was pretty easy to fill a running hole becuase they dont cut as much and react faster.

I'd say everyone who plays each other from now on go into custom and hit the RT to bring up the sliders menu and change it to 75-80. Mess around with it.

1. AkaBalla - Walter Payton
2. pheeniks - Dan Marino
3. Coldblooded - Barry Sanders
4. vumpler - earl campbell
5. birdbomb - emmitt smith
6. zep - Cool Joe Montana
7. bluemax - Marcus Allen
8. matrix - Warren Moon
9. DMczaf - Gale Sayers
10 Rors - Orenthal James Simpson
11 truelize - Jerry Rice
12 andokuky - Dick Butkus
13 Cerebral Palsy - John Elway
14 malleymal - Roger Staubach
15 maverick - Jack Lambert
16 jube3 - Rod Woodson
17 gcquinton - Mike Singletary
18 ramirez - Reggie White
19 Conex - Troy Aikman
20 sableholic - Thurman Thomas
21 mrbob - Johnny Unitas
22 shawnhann - Night Train Lain
23 speculawyer - Raymond Berry
24 livewire - John Riggins
25 lonestar - Joe Namath
26 dammitmatt - Bo Jackson
27 FMT - Steve Young
28 chrisjames - Mike Di'ka
29 hunterD - Derrick Thomas
30 bonsevan - Jim Brown
31. enron - Eric Dickerson
32. sickboy - Deacon Jones
--------

uno the rest of the draft is happening today at 6 pm pst on AIM. if you have an AIM please be there, if you dont i would suggest to get AIM, and if you can't be there regardless then i hope you enjoy your team.... cause i will be drafting otto graham for you as your 2nd gold player :lol

unomas

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
2. pheeniks - Dan Marino
8. matrix - Warren Moon
9. DMczaf - Gale Sayers
11 truelize - Jerry Rice
16 jube3 - Rod Woodson
19 Conex - Troy Aikman
21 mrbob - Johnny Unitas
22 unomas - Night Train Lain
25 lonestar - Joe Namath
27 FMT - Steve Young
30 bonsevan - Jim Brown
--------

uno the rest of the draft is happening today at 6 pm pst on AIM. if you have an AIM please be there, if you dont i would suggest to get AIM, and if you can't be there regardless then i hope you enjoy your team.... cause i will be drafting otto graham for you as your 2nd gold player :lol

I have AIM and will be online for the draft so no way in heeeeeeeeeell is Otto Graham gonna end up on my team :lol See you boys for the draft, and Mel Kiper Jr. ain't got shite on me!

GCQuinton

Rorschach said:
Yeah, most of the major sites that dub some guy their "sports guy" have no clue what makes a sports game good and barely watch any if at all.

Pretty much. And it's for that exact same reason I'm glad CNET/Gamespot acquired SportsGamer.com a few weeks back.

DMczaf

Rorschach said:

Thats why I love 1up's Sports podcast, they even call out their sports guy for sucking at sports games :lol

DMczaf said:
Thats why I love 1up's Sports podcast, they even call out their sports guy for sucking at sports games :lol

Don't get me wrong...I love the podcast and I think they are absolutely hilarious, but any random sports gamer in our leagues knows more about football games than they do.

unomas said:
Night Train Lane please ;)

Dammit, that was going to be my 2nd round pick!

I say that during the draft we should just have someone make a post in here with the draft picks that have been selected for each round and we update it as picks are made. It seems like the easiest way to keep track of available players to me...

I'll be there at 6 pst/ 9 est... my s/n is CTennisgod3

Hunter D

FrenchMovieTheme said:
2. pheeniks - Dan Marino
8. matrix - Warren Moon
9. DMczaf - Gale Sayers
11 truelize - Jerry Rice
16 jube3 - Rod Woodson
19 Conex - Troy Aikman
21 mrbob - Johnny Unitas
22 shawnhann - Night Train Lain
25 lonestar - Joe Namath
27 FMT - Steve Young
30 bonsevan - Jim Brown
--------

That means it starts at 9:00 eastern for NYers right?

ChrisJames said:

I say that during the draft we should just have someone make a post in here with the draft picks that have been selected for each round and we update it as picks are made. It seems like the easiest way to keep track of available players to me...

I'm still waiting on someone to get on that Excel file :)

Also, FMT, can you post the definitive list of the additional players that we are allowed to draft with their rankings?

SickBoy

Rorschach said:
As much as a like FMT and most of the football gamers, I don't trust them when the game first launches because it's always the best game ever. They liked Madden 06, they loved Madden 07, and they said 2K5 was the best football sim of all time when it was first released. :p

True enough. I got Madden 07 late, because I was on holiday during the buy-two-get-one sale at Toys R Us and I remembered people here raving about it (and the store I was at was pretty picked over). A lot better than '06, but I think I still preferred the PS2 version of 06.

ChrisJames said:

Don't worry, it was going to be my pick, too (and I'm up next) :(

Rorschach

SickBoy said:
True enough. I got Madden 07 late, because I was on holiday during the buy-two-get-one sale at Toys R Us and I remembered people here raving about it (and the store I was at was pretty picked over). A lot better than '06, but I think I still preferred the PS2 version of 06.
I think Wellington and I were the only ones preaching that on release. I got both the ps2 and 360 versions. :p

the jump from madden 06 to madden 07 (360) was worth the raving to make because madden 06 was one of the worst sports games ever!

also, i just shut out dm 15-0! i finally got the hang of the kicking game

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
the jump from madden 06 to madden 07 (360) was worth the raving to make because madden 06 was one of the worst sports games ever!

also, i just shut out dm 15-0! i finally got the hang of the kicking game

Yeah, don't bring up that I had 90% of my legends on defense! You only scored 15 points because Staubach and my punter let you score!

DMczaf

herman_moore_GI.jpg

I demand that we have more holding sliders :lol I just played Konex and it's 4th and long and Konex is stashed in his own territory, Reggie White is about to get to the QB but his line is clearly holding me back! The play ends up in a long reception, which eventually leads to the game winning drive.

:(

Zep

Banned
Yea, if its possible...Sliders for human coverage and human pursuit make a big difference in how fast your CB breaks outta his cut animation. Me and vumpler were able to stick recievers pretty well. Though it was more difficult using generic players.

I was hoping that Herman Moore would be my sleeper pick (I'm a Lions fan unfortunately), but apparently the secret is all ready out.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
So have we worked this out? Is there even gonna be enough players at each tier for us to fill our rosters?

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Truelize said:
So have we worked this out? Is there even gonna be enough players at each tier for us to fill our rosters?
You just need to think of a historical player that fits that tear and put him in there.

unomas

Banned
ChrisJames said:

Sorry about that, but Eric Dickerson was going to be my first pick but he got taken so I had to go with my next pick and or strategic move. ;) I've got my draft board up and I'm stationed in the living room with my cell by my side :D

Enron

Banned
I think we need to stick to that list that was put forth several pages ago as far as created players go.

Also, how are we going to handle this IM draft? Is FMT creating a room?

ROUND 2 so far!

24 livewire - Russ Grimm
25 lonestar - Dwight Stevenson
26 dammitmatt - Anthony Munoz
27 FMT - Ronnie lott
28 chrisjames - Bob Lilly
29 hunterD - Otto Graham
30 bonsevan - sammy baugh
31. enron - Michael Irvin
32. sickboy - Fran Tarkenton

Top Bottom