• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Paper Mario Interview (Leaving pure RPG to M&L, TTYD remaster is possible & more)

Richie

The amazing folks at GameXplain deliver an interview with Paper Mario's Developer Risa Tabata where, in my opinion, they ask all of the right questions and then some. Major props to them. Now, the answers...Eeeh you guys judge for yourselves!

Since this interview is audio-only as far as I know, I've transcribed its questions to the best of my hearing; English ain't my first language so if there's any mistakes lemme know! Only answers transcribed are those in the thread's title; but I've put a time stamp on all of the questions so you can jump right into the ones that interest you. Credit for the time stamp points goes to Youtuber Unlurking Sentinel.

Okay, onto the questions!

Will Color Splash include any traditional RPG elements like the first two Paper Mario games?

"So you know about the Mario and Luigi games, right?"
"YES!"
"So since we already have that series of games that's kind of more of a straight up RPG, we feel like it would be a shame if we weren't doing something that was more different and that was giving something different to the customers. And I think that those original Paper Mario games what people liked about them was, as you say, the RPG elements, but there was also the colorful characters, the puzzle solving, the humor. So in the new games we're focusing more on the puzzle solving aspects and the humor"

As Andre touched on earlier, the game looks fantastic. Have you considered the idea of remastering an older Paper Mario game in high definition, like The Thousand Year Door?

"If we made one, would you buy it?"
"Absolutely!"
*Laughs* "I think if we hear that a lot, you know, it'll be something we have to think about".

Be sure to check the rest of the interview:

Mariolee

So she admits they aren't focusing on the colorful characters and RPG elements, and asks us to play Mario & Luigi instead. That's...frustrating.

Zalman

Yeah, I watched it earlier. Good interview.

Also, to Nintendo: I would buy a Thousand-Year Door remaster. The first game as well.

1upsuper

Not at all what I wanted to hear regarding the direction PM is going in. M&L and PM do completely different things in combat. There's no reason to diversify them further. Argh. Here's hoping for a TTYD remaster then I'll probably abandon the series TBH. It's just too sad to see this happen.

Shizza

Yeah, I watched it earlier. Good interview.

Also, to Nintendo: I would buy a Thousand-Year Door remaster. The first game as well.

I would too! Is there a good way to let them know more people are interested? Like a twitter campaign?

This is extremely disappointing.

Paper Mario used to be one of my all time favorite series, now I don't recognize it at all.

TI82

Banned
Nintendo, why do you squander what used to be one of your best series? Paper Mario was so good, TTYD was amazing top tier Nintendo game. And then it's just been shit ever since. And they admit to not wanting to change that.

Ugh

Mory Dunz

Ok, but here's the problem.

You took away the rpg elements. Sure, great.
But you replaced with a boring and unrewarding system.

Additionaly, you mention "but there was also the colorful characters, the puzzle solving, the humor" in addition to the RPG elements. Except tou didn't keep any of those either, at least not to level of the predecessors

Colorful characters - This is the biggest let down. I guess you get colors of different toads -_ - .But there are no original characters so I don't know how the interviewee can act like this is is still around.

puzzle solving - Not a fan of the cut stuff out and put it in new places, and the real world stuff. But the games play fairly similarly in this aspect, so I won't fault them...as much...here. Sticker Star still isn't up to TTYD so there is still a deficit.

Humor - The game can still get laughs. However, Bowser not talking and only having toads realllly limits your comedy. Who the eff is gonna be Don Pinata, Koopa Jr, your party members, Rawk Hawk, Siren Sisters, Grubba, Lord Crump, Von Grodus.
Effin TEC.
Can any of the "core" mario characters even pull of TEC? No not really. Why are they constraining themselves creatively?
Did I mention Rawk Hawk?

All you get is toad and toad personalites. You can't pulll off any of the listed above

So it's kinda BS to act like all they took was RPG elements.
dumb

edit:
that answer about character was the worst. If you see a toad...and see him again, you'll know it's the same one because of how they talk? wut

And I think that those original Paper Mario games what people liked about them was, as you say, the RPG elements, but there was also the colorful characters, the puzzle solving, the humor.

Well, that's a cause for optimism, seeing how Sticker Star lacked in humour, colourful characters and had godawful "puzzles". The new one can't possibly be any worse.

I'll take TTYD HD too.

KNT-Zero

People clamor to get TTYD HD because that's the last great Paper Mario ever released. That statement about "leaving true RPG elements to Mario & Luigi" couldn't be more farfetched...

bman94

Whynotboth.gif

Seriously there's nothing wrong with having multiple RPGs especially when Nintendo consoles since N64 has been horrendously lacking in RPGs.

Blues1990

People clamor to get TTYD HD because that's the last great Paper Mario ever released. That statement about "leaving true RPG elements to Mario & Luigi" couldn't be more farfetched...

Especially since the latest entries of the Mario and Luigi series are being slowly stripped of said quirky/fun characters & further simplification of the RPG elements.

I think on paper it's a great idea. Having two spinoffs from the same genre seems redundant and it's awesome that they're diversifying.

But Sticker Star is by far the worst Nintendo game I've ever played. Very difficult to get me to cheer for variety when Sticker Star is the result. And it's the only Paper Mario game I've played, so yupp there goes that first impression woosh

This lady ripped my heart out. I'm sorry, but Paper Mario RPG is superior to the Mario and Luigi series. I'd rather Mario and Luigi be the adventure game and Paper Mario stay the RPG.

Confirmation of what everyone had been reading between the lines. Expected, but no less disappointing. I guess I can take the Paper Mario franchise off my radar.

Mory Dunz

Yeah, they had completely different battle systems.

Their main thing in common was timing attacks. But PM timed attacks a lot differently. But now, PM has made timing attacks like M&L. I dun get it. You say they're too similar, and then you make timing attaks more like M&L than PM....

There was nothing wrong with having 2 RPGs, one on Handheld, one on Console, with a near iteration every 3-4 years. No one would get tired of that.

I
hope TTYD HD does come. So then it'd do better than this game saleswise and maybe influence them

Menitta

TTYD HD is something I dream of. That's up there with Super Mario Sunshine or Metroid Prime HD. I want to RAWK THE HAWK in HD.

"So in the new games we're focusing more on the puzzle solving aspects and the humor"

A strong focus on humor in a game should probably be accompanied by an actual story with a diverse cast of original characters, Nintendo...

FluxWaveZ

It's a shame. You can imagine a world where they went from TTYD to sequels in that vein that were even more epic and compelling, instead of the hollowed out husks they became. I didn't even like Super Paper Mario all that much because they stripped the straight up RPG gameplay, but at least it had the humor and character to it.

A TTYD remaster is about all I could look forward to now in terms of Paper Mario.

Dryk

If you have a series that people like splitting it into two halves and replacing the missing bits with stuff people don't like seems misguided. If this is what having both series is going to do to them then just merge them back together.

WillyFive

That sucks, M&L was always the lesser Mario RPG, the Paper Mario games had the good and interesting RPG gameplay. None of this is still good.

jonno394

It's a shame to hear this, exorcist after seeing how good colour splash looks visually. Has it been confirmed yet if the levels/exploration plays out like Sticker Star or if there is a proper overworld to explore?

That sucks, M&L was always the lesser Mario RPG, the Paper Mario games had the good and interesting RPG gameplay. None of this is still good.

Not to me, I've always preferred the M&L series.

But Mario & Luigi never was good! I know people like that series, but I've always thought that they are uninteresting, decent-but-not-great games that pale badly both in gameplay and graphics compared to the original two Paper Mario games. I love Paper Mario, that game was incredible and the sequel is also quite good (and yes, I like Super Paper Mario as well, pretty fun game!), but Mario & Luigi games are not that good. And yet that of all things is Nintendo's idea of the better Mario RPG series, while Paper Mario, the far better series that just totally crush M&L in quality, or did before the 3DS game and this one, are stuck with bad mechanics (stickers for all attacks) and questionable design decisions? Pretty sad situation. Nintendo should have kept Paper Mario as the great series, and just dropped Mario & Luigi. Why did that series ever take off anyway? It was never good.

Seriously, how does Nintendo say "you know, in Sticker Star, everyone hated the stickers-for-combat system, the lacking characters and writing in a game with far too many identical Toads, the absence of any partners or RPG elements, and such... so let's make another game that does all of those things again!" How did that happen?

Now, this game could be good. As disappointing as it is, I do find Sticker Star kind of fun... it's just not the game it could have been, or that its predecessors are. I was hoping for something better here, not just more of the same.

It's a shame to hear this, exorcist after seeing how good colour splash looks visually. Has it been confirmed yet if the levels/exploration plays out like Sticker Star or if there is a proper overworld to explore?

One of the streams showed a 2D map where you picked your destination by moving a cursor around, so I don't think so.

Sandfox

I'd buy an HD release of TTYD day one.

I thought SPM was good. I never played Sticker Star though.

Wanderer5

Welp that sucks. Sticker Star was such a disappointment in many ways, and Color Splash doesn't look much of a big improvement.

They should really just make Paper Mario a full blown adventure without turn based battles and crap, but course there more that needs improving.:/

SirSwirl

Neo Member
Saw this interview earlier today. The logic of the Mario & Luigi series meaning Paper Mario should be more experimental baffles me. Both of the series co existed for many installments together and didn't seem to be eating into each other's markets at all, if anything they encouraged the purchases of each other. The series work very differently as well, so the traditional Paper Mario gameplay really can't be replicated in Mario & Luigi.

The only line of logic that I can think of to understand this better is the NX. If NX is the future of Nintendo consoles going forward, and they'll all be console handheld hybrids, then the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi series will now always be on the same system, so differentiating them more might make more sense.

So Paper Mario is definitely dead as a series. That's very sad to hear, but has been obvious for a while.

Still, a TTYD remaster would be wonderful. One of my all time top 10 games, just utterly amazing, and world be perfect with just a resolution bump.

etrain911

Paper Mario's stories also always held weight, as opposed to those of M and L's. They could get emotional. I was invested in Tippi and in O'Chunks and in the Count in Super Paper Mario. I felt bad for and cared about Twink. All of the partner characters had arcs that led to them growing and developing in TTYD and in 1. M and L doesn't offer that on any kind of level. Humor is great and it can make for a very interesting game, but it doesn't make up for a lack of any kind of emotional weight. Undertale and Earthbound are both very funny games, but they also contain plot lines that hold emotional value. Not being able to use their own characters is really limiting as well and I almost wish the franchise was put out to sleep and that IS could take all of their unique characters and great writing and apply it to a new IP.

Mory Dunz

So Paper Mario is definitely dead as a series. That's very sad to hear, but has been obvious for a while.

Still, a TTYD remaster would be wonderful. One of my all time top 10 games, just utterly amazing, and world be perfect with just a resolution bump.

Yea.
eff it, can we get Mario and Luigi on consoles then. Maybe a fully 3D one with Mario Kart 8 like environments and graphics.

I mean, if we're only getting one RPG series, they might as well go all out. There isn't steep JRPG competition imo. Nintendo could easily have the 3rd or 4th best selling JRPG each gen. Behind pkmn and FF. They have before with stuff like BiS.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Not at all what I wanted to hear regarding the direction PM is going in. M&L and PM do completely different things in combat. There's no reason to diversify them further. Argh. Here's hoping for a TTYD remaster then I'll probably abandon the series TBH. It's just too sad to see this happen.

It's not like this is a recent development. TTYD was in 2004, one year after the first M&L game. Ever since then the Paper series has moved away from the original format with experimental titles. It seems like Nintendo don't want two Mario RPG series, which is a bit silly as they both have very unique flavours.

Flowmoney

It's sad to me that I use to like Paper Mario , Mario Tennis , Mario party and etc at one point but recent games weren't fun to me.

FSLink

Banned
Like people said, it wouldn't be that bad if Mario and Luigi also wasn't being simplified. The newer entries also lack really fun side characters. Really disappointing.

Paper Mario had better writing overall too out of the two series and going for just pure gameplay that's really experimental makes little sense to me.

GamerJM

Banned
The fact that they come out and say this makes me feel like I need to try out the M&L games. I've never actually played them but I love SMRPG/PM/tTYD/SPM.

Moonlight

Banned
I'd like a new way to buy TTYD and tell someone out there that this is the Paper Mario I would prefer to continue buying.

Tookay

It's a shame. You can imagine a world where they went from TTYD to sequels in that vein that were even more epic and compelling, instead of the hollowed out husks they became. I didn't even like Super Paper Mario all that much because they stripped the straight up RPG gameplay, but at least it had the humor and character to it.

A TTYD remaster is about all I could look forward to now in terms of Paper Mario.

Top Bottom