• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New pic of Metal Gear Acid for PSP?

exscreen.jpg

And the cards:
card01.jpg
card02.jpg
card03.jpg
card07.jpg
card08.jpg

card09.jpg
card04.jpg
card05.jpg
card06.jpg
card10.jpg

Shompola said:
it's a card battle game?

"The latest game in the Metal Gear series, "Metal Gear Acid", is to be released soon after the launch of Sony's PSP. Until now, concrete details about the game have been few and far between, but this week's Famitsu reveals a few points about the game's system. Previous games in the series have been action-based, but the latest title is a card-based simulation game. A totally original story sees the return of Snake in the lead role, and events seem to continue from the end of "Metal Gear Solid 2", though this is not confirmed yet."

More here:
http://game-science.com/news/000680.html

Sho Nuff

Banned
"Lets make a new metal gear game"

"WOW WHAT A GREAT IDEA"

"Let's make it a card-based battle game"

"WOW WHAT A GREAT IDEA"

I believe this comes from the same train of thought that said "Let's make the Virtua Fighter RPG some gay Digimon knockoff"

Whoa so it's an actual sequel to MGS2 in terms of story? I thought it'd be a spinoff story.

It's the first MG without Kojima in any sort of director spot. So i'm interested in seeing what they can pull off, especially with a game that's in one of my most hated genres. Kojima said that it's more stylish than any of his MG's, so that's already a plus that other card games don't have.

Laurent

SolidSnakex said:
Whoa so it's an actual sequel to MGS2 in terms of story? I thought it'd be a spinoff story.

It's the first MG without Kojima in any sort of director spot. So i'm interested in seeing what they can pull off, especially with a game that's in one of my most hated genres. Kojima said that it's more stylish than any of his MG's, so that's already a plus that other card games don't have.
http://game-science.com said:
The latest game in the Metal Gear series, "Metal Gear Acid", is to be released soon after the launch of Sony's PSP. Until now, concrete details about the game have been few and far between, but this week's Famitsu reveals a few points about the game's system. Previous games in the series have been action-based, but the latest title is a card-based simulation game. A totally original story sees the return of Snake in the lead role, and events seem to continue from the end of "Metal Gear Solid 2", though this is not confirmed yet.
It may be an actual sequel...

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Sounds like a spinoff acually. "Orignial story" where events seem to take place post MGS2... reminds me of Ghost Babel & Snakes Revenge being alternate sequels to MG1 (while MG2 was canon), like an elseworlds game.

SolidSnakex said:
It's the first MG without Kojima in any sort of director spot.
Snake's Revenge? Metal Gear NES? The Twin Snakes?

SolidSnakex said:
So i'm interested in seeing what they can pull off, especially with a game that's in one of my most hated genres. Kojima said that it's more stylish than any of his MG's, so that's already a plus that other card games don't have.
Sounds like TTS...

It's not action based like the other MG games since according to Kojima handhelds aren't the proper place for stealth games. So apparently he didn't care too much for Ghost Babel.

I'd prefer not to see those types of MG games on handhelds anyway. Save them for consoles.

"Sounds like TTS..."

Are you joking?

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It's not action based like the other MG games since according to Kojima handhelds aren't the proper place for stealth games. So apparently he didn't care too much for Ghost Babel.
He never said that, he said PSP wasn't suited to a MGS stealth game... he doesn't seem to mind handhelds in general though, hence Boktai 2 and Boktai DS coming up.

SolidSnakex said:
Are you joking?
I thought Kojima said similar things about TTS (stylish, not his)?

Laurent

jarrod said:
He never said that, he said PSP wasn't suited to a MGS stealth game... he doesn't seem to mind handhelds in general though, hence Boktai 2 and Boktai DS coming up.
I can't wait to play the stealth version of Boktai you are talking about! ;oP

jarrod said:

I thought Kojima said similar things about TTS (stylish, not his)?

He didn't say the PSP, he said handhelds, here's the interview:

"You know, MGS the series is about stealth-action and requires very delicate, very fine button controls, button inputs," Kojima told us. "If you make a little mistake with the button input you might be spotted by an enemy - a handheld is just not suitable for that kind of fine button input."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/front_index.php?

About the stylish, he's talking about the entire game being stylish, not just cutscenes.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

"You know, MGS the series is about stealth-action and requires very delicate, very fine button controls, button inputs," Kojima told us. "If you make a little mistake with the button input you might be spotted by an enemy - a handheld is just not suitable for that kind of fine button input."

So upon further inspection, he said handhelds are not suitable for MGS, not stealth games. My mistake (and yours).

SolidSnakex said:
About the stylish, he's talking about the entire game being stylish, not just cutscenes.
Eh, I just thought things sounded a little similar... I'm sure Ac!d will turn out the better product though given it's being done inhouse at KCEJ.

The whole thoing just sounds so strange to me though, concetpually I think it's a total misfire to be honest (like that Silent Hill GBA launch game).

"So upon further inspection, he said handhelds are not suitable for MGS, not stealth games. My mistake (and yours)."

Well MGS is stealth games to me, there's MGS and then those lesser games. :)

I'm still not convinced it'll be good, especially with Kojima not even being the games director. But if there ever was a game that could make card games fun, this is it.

Laurent

SolidSnakex said:

jarrod said:
So upon further inspection, he said handhelds are not suitable for MGS, not stealth games. My mistake (and yours).
Sounds like he said stealth-action games...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
You know, I hated this idea when it was first shown. But these new details have me very interested now. I'm kind of thinking of it as a MGS RPG, so I'll be keeping my eye on MGS: A. If I can be in love with Baten Kaitos, why can't I have hope for Metal Gear Ac!d? Maybe some people aren't liking this because its a VERY unexpected twist for the series, and I can totally understand that. I just think its a very cool premise now that I have some more info. Thanks for the details.

No Kojima is the thing that has me worried though...

Troidal

It's not on Game Science, but there was another shot in Famitsu with Solid Snake looking much older than his former self, and his line was "It's been quite a while since I've retired" or something like that...

Spinoff? Direct sequel? Who knows...

-1 on Card battle for me though :(

"No Kojima is the thing that has me worried though..."

He's still producing/overseeing it just not directing it. He'll likely do the script and planning too like he did with Ghost Babel.

"It's been quite a while since I've retired" or something like that..."

So what's this? His 3rd retirement? :) He should just stop telling people where he is when he retires.

Laurent

Troidal said:
It's not on Game Science, but there was another shot in Famitsu with Solid Snake looking much older than his former self, and his line was "It's been quite a while since I've retired" or something like that...
You are not allowed to talk about other pictures unless you have a direct link! >_<

Dagon

This sounds cool. I've been intrigued by this game ever since it was announced and the more I see it the more I want to play it.

Man, I wish TGS would just get here now so that I can find out pricing/release details for the PSP stuff. The suspense is killing me.

SolidSnakex said:

Quick, somebody give him back his copy of Ghost Babel.

SolidSnakex said:

Isn't that site known for fake news and interviews? Wheres my Mafia II bitches??

MaddenNFL64

Definately.

Although, a PSP purchase isn't likely soon. Maybe a few years down the road. Sony said they have a 10 year lifespan planned, so I think I have time ;).

well,

the metal gear card art is Fantastic. Always loved the MGS art.

However, card battle is the worst genre. Possible the worse kind of gaming I can think of. Urgh. Pretty much all the card battles games were dreary/stupid.

Mrbob

Ugh. These screenshots are painful to look at.

Not since they look bad. Because its MGS in card battle form. :( YuGiOh meets MGS yuck.

I'll still buy it....

By GC look he means there's no color tint to it really. MGS (Kojima's version), MGS2 and MGS3 all have their only color tint. MGS had a dark blue tint, MGS2 had a green/blue look for the tanker and yellow/orange for the Big Shell and MGS3 has a green tint.

andthebeatgoeson

It looks weird. If it was a PS2 game, it'd be ugly. Like there's some good detail but it looks blurry. Or maybe it's the textures throwing me off...naw, that's not it, the hair looks fine. Or maybe it's just a bad shot.

Pick another shot, Konami.

jarrod

Banned
Laurent said:
I can't wait to play the stealth version of Boktai you are talking about! ;oP
Boktai is a stealth adventure series, the core mechanics revolve around surprising/avoiding enemies and attacking indirectly.

Laurent said:
Sounds like he said stealth-action games...
I can bold for emphasis too...

SolidSnakex said:
Sounds like he's talking about the specific timing button imput commands, which MGS specifically requires, not being suitable for handhelds. The fact he's made 4 handheld stealth games seems like evidence enough he doesn't think the entire genre isn't suited to the market.

Kon Tiki

Banned
This should be on Nintendo DS. Keep all the gimmicks where noone would buy it anyway. Make a real MG (screw solid) for PSP.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
snapty00 said:
I just don't like the way most GameCube games look. That is all.

Just wondering, what exactly do Gamecube games look like? Don't they look basically the same as other consoles?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Society said:
This should be on Nintendo DS. Keep all the gimmicks where noone would buy it anyway. Make a real MG (screw solid) for PSP.

I don't want this Metal Gear card crap on the DS. Thankfully Kojima thought good enough of the platform to give it a proper game in Boktai DS.

Mejilan said:
They should've remade Ghost Babel in 3D, if nothing else. MGA makes me want to cry.

You aren't going to see any more handheld MG's like that. If MG Ghost Babel is ever remade (which I really doubt) it's going to be on a console.

snapty00

Banned
GSG Flash said:
Jusdt wondering, what exactly do Gamecube games look like? Don't they look basically the same as other consoles?
I don't know. I can't put my finger on it, to be honest. They have a weird Dreamcast look to them. Obviously, most GameCube games look better than the average Dreamcast game, but there's just something..."wrong" with it, something I don't see on PlayStation 2 and Xbox. I've always been aware of it, but I really started to notice this when I compared Twin Snakes to Sons of Liberty. Snake's face actually may be smoother in Twin Snakes, but his face looks a lot better in Sons of Liberty. Does GameCube usually display fewer colors than Xbox and PlayStation 2? Like I said, I can't really describe the problem, but I see it in most GameCube games, both from Nintendo and third-party developers.

The new Zelda doesn't seem to have the problem, though. It genuinely looks like a current-generation game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I wouldn't mind that either SSX. What makes you say that we'll never see a MG game like that on a handheld? MGS GBC sales?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
snapty00 said:
The new Zelda doesn't seem to have the problem, though. It genuinely looks like a current-generation game.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHH. Riiiiight.

Mejilan said:
I wouldn't mind that either SSX. What makes you say that we'll never see a MG game like that on a handheld? MGS GBC sales?

His comments about this one, he doesn't think that handhelds work right for the series which is why this is a card based game instead of stealth action.

MaddenNFL64

TTS was developed by Silicon Knights, who didn't have near the amount of talent to polish up a game like TTS in a similar fashion to MGS2. They're also different developers, who use different methods than Konami does to try & get the same look, which obviously didn't go as well as they wanted.

Why am I even bothering? You obviously have an eye that spots quality & GC games just don't equal the ultimate power & quality of PS2 games.

Top Bottom