• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New pic of Metal Gear Acid for PSP?

jarrod said:

Ok if you want those games. There's a reason those work on handhelds. Ofcourse I doubt Kojima really wants to have to make AI borderline retarded so that if you make a mistake because of the buttons it doesn't hurt you.

Laurent

jarrod said:
Sounds like he's talking about the specific timing button imput commands, which MGS specifically requires, not being suitable for handhelds. The fact he's made 4 handheld stealth games seems like evidence enough he doesn't think the entire genre isn't suited to the market.
I thought that he may have learned from is mistakes, and that he now thinks that stealth action games need to include something different than just the "very delicate, very fine button controls, button inputs". Boktai did it with its sun detector. He wouldn't specify the fact that the series was about stealth action if he wasn't going to describe what he thinks a stealth action game requires.

Anyway, It's hard to say if he was talking about portable stealth action games globally, since there's not much of those out there...

jarrod

Banned
Laurent said:
I thought that he may have learned from is mistakes, and that he now thinks that stealth action games need to include something different than just the "very delicate, very fine button controls, button inputs" Boktai did it with its sun detector. He wouldn't specify the fact that the series was about stealth action if he wasn't going to describe what he thinks a stealth action game requires.
Laurent, misreading what he said. Kojima states MGS specifically required precise button commands, not stealth action games in general. Not all stealth games require that degree sensitivity, just MGS (or 3D Metal Gear). Less complex 2D games like Ghost Babel or Boktai evidently work just fine...

Laurent

jarrod said:
Laurent, misreading what he said. Kojima states MGS specifically required precise button commands, not stealth action games in general. Not all stealth games require that degree sensitivity, just MGS (or 3D Metal Gear). Less complex 2D games like Ghost Babel or Boktai evidently work just fine...
You're probably right, but I think that the quote is misleading on that aspect. What's interesting nonetheless is that the game is called Metal Gear: Ac!d, (somehow) excluding it from the Metal Gear Solid series...

Laurent said:
You're probably right, but I think that the quote is misleading on that aspect. What's interesting nonetheless is that the game is called Metal Gear: Ac!d, (somehow) excluding it from the Metal Gear Solid series...

They'll probably rename it to MGS in the US like they did with Ghost Babel. :p

jarrod

Banned
Laurent said:
Yeah, if the game does well we might see the start of a 3rd MG line. :)

SolidSnakex said:
Probably, it's a shame too as Ghost Babel was such an excellent subtitle. :/

Laurent

SolidSnakex said:
As long as we're talking about names, Kojima should have excluded numbers for Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater...

Did Konami ever licensed their Metal Gear Solid 2 engine to create other games? Excluding Cy Girls of course...

jarrod

Banned
Laurent said:
Did Konami ever licensed their Metal Gear Solid 2 engine to create other games? Excluding Cy Girls of course...
Well, some code was used by Silicon Knights for TTS. Also, KCES handled the PC/XBox ports of MGS2S, so that went outside KCEJ.

I think he kept the numbers because MGS3 ends the "Solid" series according to him. KoA might want to keep that name though since it's basically how the series is known by.

As for the engine, MGS2, TS and Cy Girls are the only games I know of that use it. Konami wastes engines more than any company I can think of really. MGS2 and MGS3 are running on different engines, and ZOE and ZOE2 are running on different engines. Either they just don't want to license them out, or companies don't want to license them. I can't imagine why companies that make mech games wouldn't want to use the ZOE engine. It slaughters any mech game graphically.

Laurent

SolidSnakex said:
I think he kept the numbers because MGS3 ends the "Solid" series according to him. KoA might want to keep that name though since it's basically how the series is known by.
Haven't he specified that the Solid suffix was to describe the step from 2D to 3D? If KCEJ decides to create another Metal Gear 3D on PlayStation 3, they might as well call it Metal Gear Solid also...

SolidSnakex said:
As for the engine, MGS2, TS and Cy Girls are the only games I know of that use it. Konami wastes engines more than any company I can think of really. MGS2 and MGS3 are running on different engines, and ZOE and ZOE2 are running on different engines. Either they just don't want to license them out, or companies don't want to license them. I can't imagine why companies that make mech games wouldn't want to use the ZOE engine. It slaughters any mech game graphically.
The MGS2 engine "fits" Nintendo's philosophy in creating games that requires absolutelly no or not much FMV. I wouldn't mind seeing more games using this engines for 3rd person action games (on PlayStation 2, GameCube or X-Box)...

Sho Nuff said:
"Lets make a new metal gear game"

"WOW WHAT A GREAT IDEA"

"Let's make it a card-based battle game"

"WOW WHAT A GREAT IDEA"

I believe this comes from the same train of thought that said "Let's make the Virtua Fighter RPG some gay Digimon knockoff"

Shut the hell up.

... Digimon was awesome (the show at least, not the games though).

belgurdo

Banned
Although I don't like card battle games myself, at least this is a better idea than just recycling and dumbing down ideas from the previous games in the series, like how a lot of other companies handle portable sequels/spinoffs.

akascream

Banned
exscreen.jpg

Metal Gear Acid is for DS?

Do people forget the awesome MGS game on GBC? I liked it better than the console versions even. It's obviously possible... There'd be some adjustments to be made, but nothing that I think would sacrifice fun gameplay.

MoxManiac

I dunno, I'm getting sick of popular franchises turning into card games - that's what I play MTG(O) for, not console games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think it looks like it could be a fun game...

"Card battle" game? I don't think so...

Looks more like a turn based strategy game that uses cards for commands (and those commands seem to cover pretty much everything you could do in the older games).

akascream said:
exscreen.jpg

Metal Gear Acid is for DS?

If you are suggesting that the game looks poor, try again. That particular pic is hardly flattering, but (as usual) it looks very good in motion and comes well within the realm of MGS2.

dark10x

Lost Weekend said:
Card battle games are generally turn based strategy games :)

I disagree...

When I think of card battle games, I think of Pokemon type stuff...where you are simply fighting against various creatures and such in some sort of arena. As far as I know, you don't move through an environment (among other things) in games like that...

This game seems to play out like a regular MGS game...but all actions (of which the variety seems large) are performed via cards. I don't think games like Pokemon and PSO3 play anything like that...

GDGF

Soothsayer
You do in some of them. Lost Kingdoms I and II for example. Many kinds of card battle games.

It's a card battle game, even Kojima has described it as such. Doesn't mean it can't be neat, but it's not for me I gotta say :)

(for the same reason I wouldn't want to play Metroid Prime: Elite Card Tactics or some such)

dark10x

Lost Weekend said:
You do in some of them. Lost Kingdoms I and II for example. Many kinds of card battle games.

It's a card battle game, even Kojima has described it as such. Doesn't mean it can't be neat, but it's not for me I gotta say :)

Oh, OK...well I guess you have a broad definition of "card battle" or perhaps I was simply limiting MY point of view to only include "Pokemon-like" arena based games. MGA certainly seems far more complex and interesting than virtually every other "card battle" game I've ever played, though...

dark10x said:
Oh, OK...well I guess you have a broad definition of "card battle" or perhaps I was simply limiting MY point of view to only include "Pokemon-like" arena based games. MGA certainly seems far more complex and interesting than virtually every other "card battle" game I've ever played, though...

Dark10x, Sony fanboy to the rescue!

Do you have a fucking bat signal? Seriously... -_-

GDGF

Soothsayer
Oh yeah. It most certainly isn't going to be like 'Solid Snake I choose You!' if that's what you thought I ment :)

Still, Solid Snake shouldn't be card controlled. It just aint right.

akascream

Banned
If you are suggesting that the game looks poor, try again. That particular pic is hardly flattering, but (as usual) it looks very good in motion and comes well within the realm of MGS2.

Awesome. Thanks dude!

dark10x

kitchenmotors said:

No...

This has nothing to do with being a "Sony" product. I am quite a Metal Gear fan, however...

I have tried various card battle games previously, and I can't say I was really drawn in by any of them. The games I have tried usually revolved around "collecting" things...

However, like I said, I'm a huge MG fan...and this concept seems different enough that I think it could be a solid game. What's the problem?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

Why do you give a shit? It's a thread about Metal Gear game, is he supposed to talk about something else?

Kon Tiki

Banned
Marconelly said:
Why do you give a shit? It's a thread about Metal Gear game, is he supposed to talk about something else?

Marconelly, Sony fanboy to the rescue!

Vieo

This should be on Nintendo DS. Keep all the gimmicks where noone would buy it anyway. Make a real MG (screw solid) for PSP.

Now you know how GCN fans felt when when they heard "crystal chronicles" attached to the end of "Final Fantasy".

Square = cocktease

=)

Here's some new info on Acid:

"The story will apparently feature two characters who provide great assistance to Snake on his latest mission. What appears to be a new heroine is shown in some screenshots; these shots indicate that the heroine may be playable alongside Snake (although let's hope this isn't another one of those Raiden deals)."

"Screens also reveal a twist on how the storyline will be presented. For the first time, artwork similar in style to art drawn by series image designer Yoji Shinkawa will be shown on screen as characters speak their lines (the artwork is not actually from Shinkawa, though)."

/\ I don't really get that, didn't MGS do that?

"Acid is a card-based simulation that progresses as a series of missions. Missions present you with a goal when you first start off, and by clearing this goal, you clear the mission and progress through the storyline. Missions take a variety of forms, with screens in the magazine showing one mission that asks you to clear a forest via a northern path. Another type of mission asks that you use a particular card in a particular place in order to perform a particular action (that's a lot of particulars!)."

"Hmm... we're still confused, so let's continue with Kojima's comments. The gun-loving producer continues, "From the perspective of music, it's the same as 'Acid Techno' and 'Acid Jazz.' It's a new genre that emerged from the conventional 'Metal Gear' genre. We call it 'Acid Metal.' Of course, the creators of the game are different from 'Solid.' 'Acid' offers a new fashion for young people from young developers. That's 'Metal,' and the new 'Acid Metal.'"

...Ok Kojima...

http://psp.ign.com/articles/541/541291p1.html

It sounds very different from any card game up till this point.

snapty00

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
"Hmm... we're still confused, so let's continue with Kojima's comments. The gun-loving producer continues, "From the perspective of music, it's the same as 'Acid Techno' and 'Acid Jazz.' It's a new genre that emerged from the conventional 'Metal Gear' genre. We call it 'Acid Metal.' Of course, the creators of the game are different from 'Solid.' 'Acid' offers a new fashion for young people from young developers. That's 'Metal,' and the new 'Acid Metal.'".
Okay...

It's possible to be mysterious and secretive without sounding like a crackhead. I swear, it is. I got almost nothing out of that little "explanation."

Tellaerin

I'm someone who's always liked the premise and story elements of the MGS games, but is indifferent on the gameplay (I just don't enjoy stealth-oriented games in general). I know that a lot of you of you were hoping for a 'real' PSP Metal Gear in terms of gameplay, and I empathize, but for me, Acid sounds like just what the doctor ordered.

Laurent

SolidSnakex said:
"Screens also reveal a twist on how the storyline will be presented. For the first time, artwork similar in style to art drawn by series image designer Yoji Shinkawa will be shown on screen as characters speak their lines (the artwork is not actually from Shinkawa, though)."

/\ I don't really get that, didn't MGS do that?
No...

Metal Gear Solid shown Shinkawa's artwork while characters speaks. Metal Gear Ac!d will be the first game of the series to show fake Shinkawa-style drawings while characters speaks.

snapty00 said:
Okay...

It's possible to be mysterious and secretive without sounding like a crackhead. I swear, it is. I got almost nothing out of that little "explanation."

Basically just listen to the forms of music he mentioned first (acid jazz and techno) and image metal music having a similar sound and that's the music Acid will have (or that's what I can make of that statement).

Jonnyram

Metal Gear Solid shown Shinkawa's artwork while characters speaks. Metal Gear Ac!d will be the first game of the series to show fake Shinkawa-style drawings while characters speaks.
It's different. The characters in Acid are full size, taking up the height of the screen, pretty much. There is no CODEC. The problem with CODEC is that you can't tell who is saying the lines if you turn the sound off (this is what was said in the interview, at least). So the characters appear one at a time, big size, with their lines.

Basically just listen to the forms of music he mentioned first (acid jazz and techno) and image metal music having a similar sound and that's the music Acid will have (or that's what I can make of that statement).
Kojima said in the interview that the game retains the rhythm of Metal Gear Solid, but has a different system, the same as Jazz -> Acid Jazz and House -> Acid House. It's nothing to do with music, it's just a metaphor for the gameplay transition from Solid to Acid.

dark10x

jarrod said:
Wait, why are people calling Pokemon a card game... and insinuating it has no strategy?

It IS a card game (though, perhaps the videogames are not)...and there are different types of strategy games. It just so happens that I dislike the type of game that Pokemon is. Whether or not is requirse strategy (which is does) is a non-issue to me.

akascream

Banned
It IS a card game (though, perhaps the videogames are not)

I didn't comment cause I thought you were talking about the videogame (I've never played pokemon). But if you want to talk about RL fantasy card games, they are all turn based strategy. :confused

SaitoH

Unfortunately I have an automatic bias to anything card, or monster collecting related (re: pokemon-ish), so MGA is really going to have to be amazing to peak my interest.

^w^

Top Bottom