• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New previews of Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Andyliini

Yay, my Collector's Edition turned up today, so I'll begin playing this soon. I'm listening to the soundtrack right now, and I love it already, Grant Kirkhope has composed great tracks for this game. The rabbid figurine is bigger and heavier than I thought it would be.

Ansatz

I really hope this game turns out great, with enough longevity and challenge to keep me hooked for a long time.

JonnyKong

Oof I just nearly died on the World 1 mid-boss, I've a feeling I may struggle with this game in later worlds.

And now I have
Luigi
on my team 😄

here is an image from portable with reasonably clear edges. it's got the switch's stupid compression on screenshots so i have no idea if it will be any use, but here you go.
kwYg4aP.jpg

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Oof I just nearly died on the World 1 mid-boss, I've a feeling I may struggle with this game in later worlds.

And now I have
Luigi
on my team ��

W1 mid boss & final boss made me real happy - there's gonna be some real depth and difficulty here

Can anyone who got it early get a read on how battery life is with the game undocked?

I've been playing from a full charge for about an hour and a half and I'm down to 50% battery power.

Just finished the first world and I'm absolutely loving it. There's a nice bit of challenge to the game even at this early stage, especially if you are trying to keep everyone alive in order to get top marks post battle.

The music is amazing. Both original tunes and classic remixes have had me grinning from ear to ear. Grant Kirkhope doing Gods work here.

JonnyKong

After a couple of hours play I can definitely say it's awesome! It's dangerously addictive, very accessible and just generally a joy to play. The game looks gorgeous and runs very smoothly. I'm getting more and more enemy types now and the challenge is starting to ramp up, so I don't think anyone needs to worry about it being too easy that's for sure.

It seems that each level segment so to speak is broken down into two battles, and more often than not you have to carry over your health from the first battle into the second fight which can be quite hard going. There's a decent range of weapons and abilities to unlock. Traversing the game world is quite lovely really cos it feels so smooth and looks so delightful, and there's some (so far very light) puzzles to solve as you're walking around the world.

It gives you the option before a big fight to quickly turn on easy mode if you have your kids playing.

JonnyKong

The various terrains and general level layouts that the battles take place in are starting to get really interesting and varied now, specially when it comes to platforms being different heights.

MattAces

After a couple of hours play I can definitely say it's awesome! It's dangerously addictive, very accessible and just generally a joy to play. The game looks gorgeous and runs very smoothly. I'm getting more and more enemy types now and the challenge is starting to ramp up, so I don't think anyone needs to worry about it being too easy that's for sure.

It seems that each level segment so to speak is broken down into two battles, and more often than not you have to carry over your health from the first battle into the second fight which can be quite hard going. There's a decent range of weapons and abilities to unlock. Traversing the game world is quite lovely really cos it feels so smooth and looks so delightful, and there's some (so far very light) puzzles to solve as you're walking around the world.

It gives you the option before a big fight to quickly turn on easy mode if you have your kids playing.

From most previews I've read, battle seems to be good, so I can definitely cross that out from my list of concern. What about exploration? Is it a linear path just for the sake of leading to the next battle?

From most previews I've read, battle seems to be good, so I can definitely cross that out from my list of concern. What about exploration? Is it a linear path just for the sake of leading to the next battle?

There are a few different paths here and there that usually lead to coins or a collectible of some sort. There's seems to be plenty to look out for and some of the paths can't be opened until new abilities are found.

JonnyKong

I don't understand what's going on here, it's just told me I cleared a battle even though quite clearly I didn't? Two of my team members were downed, and then the match ended before I could take my next move, declaring I'd cleared it?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The various terrains and general level layouts that the battles take place in are starting to get really interesting and varied now, specially when it comes to platforms being different heights.

the verticality in the game surprised me. there seems to be a strong emphasis on mobility and placement.

luigi being a sniper and being able to 'double hop' on both team members to a far distance is awesome. have him jump on a rabbid towards mario, off mario on to a high ledge and then snipe people is very satisfying.

I don't understand what's going on here, it's just told me I cleared a battle even though quite clearly I didn't? Two of my team members were downed, and then the match ended before I could take my next move, declaring I'd cleared it?

what was the objective? get to a certain point? kill X enemies?

3 random screenshots I took. This is during handheld mode:

61s3e.jpg
xdsum.jpg
ios36.jpg

The game is awesome! Currently in World 1.

Battles are smooth and fun. Using cover...tripping up the enemy then using an ally to jump to higher ground to get the advantage...there's definitely strategy.

Exploring the levels can lead to more coins treasure boxes. You might enouncter a section that's blocked off but if you continue on the path, you may find a switch that lets you access that previously locked path. There were some places I couldn't access until I get a new ability. Again, I'm only in World 1 so nothing has been tricky in this regard but exploring is fun.

It's nice to see Mario & company interact with new people that are not part of the Mushroom Kingdom. I never really cared for the Rabbids but they add humor.

Overall, I'm excited to dive in some more. I would love more weird collaborations like this.

Shahadan

Anyone else noticed the weird area in the early parts of the game where the shadows from the clouds are moving fast? It's in a corner of an area and it's probably a bug, but it felt strange.

Linkura

Well, these previews pushed me over the edge. Preorder paid off, Tuesday is gonna be so nuts.

Yeah, think I'm going to bite now. Was going to wait until Monday's review embargo but it seems like those are going to be glowing. The question is do I play this or Kiwami first.... I mean, I'm definitely more hyped for Kiwami as a die-hard Yakuza fan, but it's a known quantity for me. This, I'm not sure if I'll like or not.

Edit: Looks like Amazon made my decision for me. Kiwami is expected Tuesday, Rabbids Thursday. So I can at least start on Kiwami while I wait.

Hasney

I am adoring this game, but I hope the difficulty ramps up after world 1. Did have one death even then though against the sub boss.

Well, these previews pushed me over the edge. Preorder paid off, Tuesday is gonna be so nuts.

Yeah, think I'm going to bite now. Was going to wait until Monday's review embargo but it seems like those are going to be glowing.

You guys are in for a treat. I'd be very surprised to read/see much negativity in regards to what's on offer here.

Having unlocked a new move, I'm now working my way back through the hub area of the first world to find some more goodies. I ended up coming across a secret area!

I am adoring this game, but I hope the difficulty ramps up after world 1. Did have one death even then though against the sub boss.

Have you been going for perfect rankings? I think that's where a lot of the challenge is in the main campaign. There are also a bunch of challenges that become available soon after finishing the first area.

Lizardus

Wtf, why can't I ever get a game early?

To those that have it, are co-op challenges locked behind something? I'd love to play them with my sister when I see her next week.

Soul Lab

Whatever concerns you have (Easy difficulty, variety etc.), you can dismiss them!
This game is a must have title.
It's so well made. The developes really cared about this project. You can feel it while playing.

I just want to keep playing :D

Whatever concerns you have (Easy difficulty, variety etc.), you can dismiss them!
It's so well made. The developes really cared about this project. You can feel it while playing.

Could it get a 90+ on Metacritic?
Seems like it doesn't have really any major flaws to really prevent it going by everyone's impressions.

MattAces

What about game length? I'm very very close to paying it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
So while desperately checking if my amazon pre-order has magically moved forward its shipping date, I accidentally noticed Rabbids Kingdom Battle is currently #1 switch bestseller on amazon.de.

Good job, #dontcryubisoftman!

ZeroX03

Banned
So pretty much a lock that this is a solid game? No dealbreaking complaints from any early bird players? Love XCOM, in the mood for SP Switch content and can preorder for release day delivery but would miss the review embargo so just making sure I won't get burned.

Usually at least one early impression is negative so this much glowing praise is getting me amped up.

B00TE

Yeah, think I'm going to bite now. Was going to wait until Monday's review embargo but it seems like those are going to be glowing. The question is do I play this or Kiwami first.... I mean, I'm definitely more hyped for Kiwami as a die-hard Yakuza fan, but it's a known quantity for me. This, I'm not sure if I'll like or not.

Edit: Looks like Amazon made my decision for me. Kiwami is expected Tuesday, Rabbids Thursday. So I can at least start on Kiwami while I wait.

I have this same dilemma, on top of Absolver and XCOM 2 War of the Chosen. I stream my initial playthroughs of Yakuza games for my friends so I won't touch it until they're around, playing Absolver in online/co-op with another friend. Think it'd be cool to play Mario/Rabbids in tandem with XCOM 2 just to compare and contrast the two, so I'll probably do that. What a crazy release day, lol.

And I still kinda wanna pick up Everybody's Golf that day too, oh gods.

Linkura

So while desperately checking if my amazon pre-order has magically moved forward its shipping date, I accidentally noticed Rabbids Kingdom Battle is currently #1 switch bestseller on amazon.de.

Good job, #dontcryubisoftman!

It's the #1 New Release for ALL videogames in the US.

Anyone else noticed the weird area in the early parts of the game where the shadows from the clouds are moving fast? It's in a corner of an area and it's probably a bug, but it felt strange.

Hahaha yea, im pretty sure its bugged. It sticks out a little past the waterfall next to it and all the clouds move with you.

JonnyKong

There's frigging loads to do on this game. I've gone back into the first world to try the challenges, the first one is supposed to be "very easy" and it just nearly ruined me 🤣

Top Bottom