• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New previews of Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Neiteio

My Switch's capture button is going to get a workout taking screenshots of this game. The environments in this game seriously look unreal.

All According to Keikaku
37kuw8.jpg

This would have been funny whatever the outcome, but I'm glad it's not looking like schadenfreude.

Socreges

Banned
A nonsensical crossover with one of the most prestigious and important gaming franchises of all time, and a creatively bankrupt franchise of proto-minions that'd been thankfully dead for years before now. They're sloppily cobbled together in a genre that makes 0 sense for either of the two properties involved. On top of that the company in charge clearly has little understanding of the valuable source material they've been handed the key to, made painfully obvious by those leaked slides from back before E3. Throw in some meme garbage, dabbing and selfies, and you've got this trashpile of a game.
I mean...yeah. Except, most importantly, the game looks well crafted and might even be very good.

Honestly my only concern is that it's too basic. I understand that some reviews are saying there is depth, but I'll wait for reviews to be sure. At a minimum it looks like a fantastic gateway strategy game for kids.

PokéKong

We can officially say we now live within the post-Convinced era of our calendar, and it has all apparently gone according to plan. I kinda lost my mind trying to process that opera trailer. I think this'll be the first major Switch title I'll get digitally, so I can always be playing it a bit on the side.

Cartho

I mean...yeah. Except, most importantly, the game looks well crafted and might even be very good.

Honestly my only concern is that it's too basic. I understand that some reviews are saying there is depth, but I'll wait for reviews to be sure. At a minimum it looks like a fantastic gateway strategy game for kids.

Easy allies said it had a reasonable amount of depth - on normal difficulty in co-op they got totally wiped on the second mission and hard difficulty requires an unlock (I guess complete the game) so I hope it will provide a decent challenge.

Easy allies said it had a reasonable amount of depth - on normal difficulty in co-op they got totally wiped on the second mission and hard difficulty requires an unlock (I guess complete the game) so I hope it will provide a decent challenge.
Amiibo exclusive unlock is more likely tbh

jdstorm

Banned
Fuck the leakers, all this hard work to have some loser ruin your big surprise moment. Noone gains from a leak, if a game is happening it will be announced at some point.

Honestly i think this game has benefited a lot from leaks. In general it allowed everyone to get the "this is stupid" comments out of their system before actually seeing the game.

JoeM86

You are right. After all, nintendo is not the kind of company that would seize every opportunity to take money from the consumer. They aren't like that at all

If they had done it in like 5 of their games, then you'd have a point. However now it's just a kneejerk reaction.

Also, this is Ubisoft developed and published, so...

Uuuh, no ? They are just figures.
Those are figures, not amiibos though.

Yeah I just googled them to find a picture and was gonna come back and ask about that, I'm seeing some places call them amiibo and others say (like Ubi themselves so I trust them) that they're just figures. I could have sworn they were announced as amiibo but maybe it was just a misunderstanding and I didn't know they had clarified.

packy34

This game looks great and I will definitely support Nintendo/Ubisoft with a purchase for taking risks with the IP.

Harmen

Cool to hear there is some depth to it, personally this is the most appealing Switch exclusive to me.

Also, it looks really good graphically/artistically, one of the best looking Mario titles out there, I prefer it significantly over Oddysee in that aspect.

It astounds me just how good this game looks. It feels like on paper it'd be some smaller side project, but no, they went all in on this.

God, can you imagine when people start running the thing in CEMU?

Also watching the EGM preview (thanks mollipen!), I love the smaller touches like the Rabbid Peach leaning on the bricks like it's trying to look cool, or the Rabbid Yoshi kinda hanging off the half brick like an overeager child, while Mario is just plain and sensible while trying to keep to what cover he has. The tactical system also looks like it'll allow for a lot of on the fly thinking: Mario being unable to slide multiple times like Rabbid Yoshi, but can go from a slide into a head stomp; therefore have Rabbid Yoshi slide through multiple enemies before putting it into a position so that Mario can slide and then head stomp an enemy, letting you go for all the enemies.

orioto

Good Art™
The game looks TOO good. It's a little frustrating when i'd actually want a mario platformer to look like that!

Cartho

The Eurogamer preview has me even more excited. It's written by Chris who loves strategy games and plays a heck of a lot of Xcom. Think he's one of those "hard difficulty on ironman mode" types.

So, from him, these parts were very pleasing:

I first played Mario Rabbids back at E3, shortly after it was revealed to be an XCOM-inspired, tactical adventure game. I enjoyed what I played, but found the early combat a little too basic. With that in mind, Ubisoft's second demo showcased an area that was somewhere around the ¾ mark and wow, does the complexity ramp up.

My original concern that Mario Rabbids was just trying to be some kind of XCOM-lite has been addressed. There's a lot more to it than that. If you've only seen early gameplay with just a few enemies on screen and a single, unimproved ability per character, that's really not what the game is all about. By the time you reach the third or fourth world, Mario Rabbids seems like it'll provide a genuine challenge, even to those that play a lot of turn-based tactical games. That's a relief

So, by the sounds of it, not only has a hell of a lot of love, care and attention gone in to the story, world, graphics, characters and animations, but we're also getting a pretty tactically deep sounding x-com type game thrown in. Good job Ubisoft, good job indeed.

kami_sama

I'm still completely flabbergasted how in the world they could make a very fun-looking game.

We all thought it couldn't be possible, that the game would be awful due to the rabbids, etc.
But in the end the rabbids themselves, at least in my opinion, give the game something that isn't there in normal Mario games.

Also, the game being a strategy rpg means that there hasn't been a comparable game on either IP catalog, so the slate is clear.

ConceptX

I've been holding onto purchasing a Switch due to the cost, but this looks so good.

Not sure I can wait for a possible price drop.

Philippo

Looks fantastic!

My only gripe is that the combat is primarily ranged, i would have preferred a melee focus like FF:T.

I was one of those people that when this game leaked, i thought it was an absolutely horrid idea and a disaster in the making.

But during E3 and after E3 presentations when i saw it in motion and what it was about i can honestly say i was way wrong and shouldnt have cringed so quickly as i did at first thought. Game looks great and really fun and im now really looking forward to it.

Learned a valuable lesson i did.

I'm not getting tricked into buying Ubisoft games anymore, not even with Mario in it.

Don't see how you could be tricked if you read reviews.

This game as I had always been saying looks great, and I can really feel Grant's musical talents in the previews I've watched. I feel like I'm playing Banjo again.

OCD Guy

I've hated this game concept even back when it was just a rumor. Seeing it less than a month from release is sickening.

Sickening? No video game is that serious.

Here's a question for you though, if you feel that strongly about this game, why bother wasting your time reading about it and posting about it? Why not focus on something you enjoy?

There are plenty of games that I don't like, but I just don't bother reading threads about them.

Top Bottom