• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Rome: Total War screens (AWESOME! 56k sorry)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
589390_20040823_screen001.jpg

589390_20040823_screen002.jpg

589390_20040823_screen003.jpg

589390_20040823_screen004.jpg

These make the demo seem very very small scale :D

More at http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/rometotalwar/screenindex.html

Firest0rm

I only have the first one. Shogun. Damn they've advanced alot with this series! :D I'm gonna get this. Can't wait to play this online! Shogun had no where near that many men!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
My eyes would burst to see that game and animation running at 60fps.

Firest0rm

akascream said:
My fingers would burst trying to select individual units! :p

You can't. They are divided into groups. In Shogun they were at max 60 i believe per group. And what rocks the most is that its more realistic than other games in which if you are outnumbered and you do something stupid without a strategy. Like going straight into the other army then your men will flee and stop fighting for you. I really liked that aspect.

axxxj

Animator in Waiting
That really is very impressive BUT how will it run, my guess is SLOW.
Lets hope i'm pleasantley suprised.

DaCocoBrova

Maybe the number of players viewable has something to do w/ the camera angle.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
shibbs said:
You know since real wars are nice organized competitions where few people are involved.

This game does indeed rock hard and the demo only inluces the RTS segment. The turn-based affairs are apparantly as badass as well.

WarPig

You can cold fuck some shit up with those fire catapults. I managed to burn more than half of Sparta to the ground before the hoplites even got out of the city.

The turn-based campaign mode stuff I don't think is anything super-new or original in the larger context of historical strategy gaming, but it's certainly a nice addition to the Total War franchise. The campaign map's a lot more detailed now, too, more accurately represents concentrations of power and moving units around is more interesting now that it's not just a Risk-style bundle of provinces.

DFS.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The reason it runs decently is that every unit is identical, same model, same texture, they only have to load it in memory once and display it many many times.

XD Haha! Nice work ... :)

Also: Holy blinking FUCK! This game just made sweet sweet love from behind to my inner graphics whore ...

One thing I thought needed work in Medieval TW was the camera control during battle. Many other things in the game quickly became second nature, but that always felt like a barrier. Still though, few games reward good strategy so well; Rome should be awesome.

DaCocoBrova

The reason it runs decently is that every unit is identical, same model, same texture, they only have to load it in memory once and display it many many times.

I dunno man... I don't see that moving very smoothly. The animation alone would be very taxing since they aren't all moving in unison.

Not that it needs to even be super smooth for the type of game it is, but the thought is cool.

FriScho

this is from the demo and runs perfect on my p4 2.8 ghz and radeon 9800pro
(at 1280*960 - i scaled the pic down to 800*600)
romedemo.jpg

I guess the scenes from the full game have 10-times the soldiers so I expect it to run 20 fps or less.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
pinp.gif

The organisers of Party on the Field soon realised having Britney follow a Justin Timberlake set was a big mistake.

MaddenNFL64

Wow, this game is just simply awe inspiring. So much on screen. It's crazy!

As for framerate, the show Decisive Battles on the History Channel uses Rome: Total War for the reenactments & the framerate is perfect from what I can see, even when the screen gets crowded.

Top Bottom