• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sengoku Basara 3 Hype Thread

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Masamune Date's engrish is the number one reason why no one should play Sengoku Basara 3 in English. Half of his appeal is his hilarious engrish mixed with Japanese.

Trufax: Masamune Date is always portrayed in the games as using English a lot (along with all his moves being in English) because in real life, he was fascinated by foreign culture, a patronizer of foreign art, and a frequent trader in foreign goods.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
AdawgDaFAB said:
Has not been confirmed as cut, NPC, or PC yet. That is why I am cautious as to her similarities with Kanbei. I should go play some SB2H and compare her s-string to the video. They seem similar at first but I could be wrong. I am just worried that if so, they might ax her if Kanbei is too similar gameplay wise and seeing as he is much more relevant to the story. Just gotta wait and see I guess.

I wonder what his element will be. I suspect wind, light, or earth. I loved using Itsuki because of her Ice element.

Either way I am super hype for SB3, will buy day 1, and can't wait to play as Kanbei.

Yeah Kanbei and Itsuki look like they play fairly similarly. So I could definitely see her getting cut in favor of him.

Also, good to see you on GAF, Adawg. I always see you around the GameFAQs boards for games I'm into. :lol Was wondering if you were here too.

Seraphis Cain said:
Yeah Kanbei and Itsuki look like they play fairly similarly. So I could definitely see her getting cut in favor of him.

Also, good to see you on GAF, Adawg. I always see you around the GameFAQs boards for games I'm into. :lol Was wondering if you were here too.

Ha, thought I recognized your name from somewhere besides GAF (unless your name there is different, then I got no clue lol). NeoGAF, GameFAQs, and KoeiWarriors are the 3 main message boards I frequent. GAF is actually what got me interested in SB at first through sprsk's "Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes is action game of the year." thread. I immediately got the Wii double pack and been in love with the franchise ever since.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
AdawgDaFAB said:
Ha, thought I recognized your name from somewhere besides GAF (unless your name there is different, then I got no clue lol). NeoGAF, GameFAQs, and KoeiWarriors are the 3 main message boards I frequent. GAF is actually what got me interested in SB at first through sprsk's "Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes is action game of the year." thread. I immediately got the Wii double pack and been in love with the franchise ever since.

You probably do recognize it from somewhere (maybe KoeiWarriors, though I don't know if I've ever actually used my account there or not), but not GameFAQs. I go by BionicCommando there (yeah, registered in 2001, long before I started using SeraphisCain everywhere). :lol

Seraphis Cain said:
You probably do recognize it from somewhere (maybe KoeiWarriors, though I don't know if I've ever actually used my account there or not), but not GameFAQs. I go by BionicCommando there (yeah, registered in 2001, long before I started using SeraphisCain everywhere). :lol

Well then ... I got no clue where else I saw your Seraphis Cain name, but I have certainly seen BionicCommando alot on FAQs, lol. I always find it funny when I recognize people on multiple boards I go to.

Xater said:
Added the Kuroda Kanbei gameplay from Youtube to the OP.

The video quality isn't as high as the ones uploaded on KOEIWarriorsMedia's youtube page, but http://www.youtube.com/user/PSandNintendFreak has every SB3 video subbed on his page. Should probably link those as well in the OP. Here is the Kanbei vid w/ subs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_pWpZHl4sM

Tsuru vid should be up on the official site in a few hours or so, just giving the heads up

also, I'm assuming there was nothing in the March 25th Famitsu, correct?

Tsuruhime video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHO8kae5fSQ
Link with subs should come sometime tomorrow.

I really liked her gameplay style, should be a ton of fun. S-string looks like she will be a true archer and not a half archer like SB Ranmaru or SM Inahime. I think her voice is pretty good too. I like all her specials shown. Her BASARA attack looks more like a crowd cleaner and huge combo getter than a boss killer, although you might be able to use it to trap them with a wall for huge damage or something.

Honestly tho, I'm loving the stage design most of all from that video. I can't wait to see even more new levels like that one.

@ robotzombie: Was there even a Famitsu / Japanese magazine thread this week? Never saw one.

Xater

AdawgDaFAB said:
Tsuruhime video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHO8kae5fSQ
Link with subs should come sometime tomorrow.

I really liked her gameplay style, should be a ton of fun. S-string looks like she will be a true archer and not a half archer like SB Ranmaru or SM Inahime. I think her voice is pretty good too. I like all her specials shown. Her BASARA attack looks more like a crowd cleaner and huge combo getter than a boss killer, although you might be able to use it to trap them with a wall for huge damage or something.

Honestly tho, I'm loving the stage design most of all from that video. I can't wait to see even more new levels like that one.

@ robotzombie: Was there even a Famitsu / Japanese magazine thread this week? Never saw one.

Personally I am not a big fan of character with bows in these kind of games. I'm with you with the stage though. Looks cool how they implemented traps.

Erigu

Hmm. Itsuki's villagers behaving like otaku was funny to me, but Tsuruhime talking like your typical idol... not so much.

Tomorrow might be a big day, hopefully Famitsu brings us some love...

Who am I kidding, I'm always prepared to be disappointed

Edit: Has anyone seen anything from Famitsu yet? Or is this just another week of NOTHING NEW...

New famitsu scans (04/01 issue) showed Kobayakawa Hideaki (voiced by Fukuyama Jun) and the returning Oichi and Tenkai (Mitsuhide wearing a mask).

Oichi is playable, while Kobayakawa and Tenkai are NPC.

Nine Demons Yoshitaka on KoeiWarriors message board said:
Oichi's page:

Quote: "Who are you....? Do you know Ichi....?"

Weapon: Darkness Hands

Tenkai

Quote: "I am Tenkai, the man who knows the value of life more than any other!"

Title: Benevolent eyes, Indifferent Eyes

Info: High-rank monk standing at Kobayakawa's side. With sweet words and turns of phrases he guides the indecisive Kobayakawa as he wants. No one knows his true identity (yeah yeah)

Kobayakawa Hideaki

Title: Dark Autumn Night (probably referring to his lack of brains, and the Aki in his
name (autumn)

Weapon: Cooking Pot

Quote: "I alone am the pot's minister! (as in the one who decides how to stew stuff when doing hotpot) Who's pot minister are you??"

Info: Commander of the Kobayakawa army only in name. He's a gourmand that can't decide anything on his own. His way-off-the-mark opinions and general unreliability made everyone around him despise him. A faithful pawn of Motonari's.

It will be interesting to see how Oichi is different if she is using ONLY the dark hands now.

------------------------

Website was updated with more info (04/01). Here is a translation of Oichi's information.

Nine Demons Yoshitaka said:
Oichi

Weapon: Demonic Hands

Quote: Who...are you...? Do you know...Oichi...? Are you all alone...? Ichi...too...."

Info: Sister of the now deceased Oda Nobunaga. She was brought back to the Oda house after the Azai's fall, and forced to go from battle to battle. She was the only one to survive the Honnoji incident. In order to avoid the cruel present reality she became spiritually detached from the present. She has lost many memories, and acts as those around her order her to.

Skills

Crush, Dream of Sorrow

The Great Demon Hand appears and grabs enemies. If you hold down the button, the enemies will be smacked on the ground repeatedly.

Dance, Arms of the Dead

Countless demon hands appear, grab surrounding enemies and toss them away. Not only is it possible to hit enemies in a large radius, you can also absorb energy from the enemies grabbed by the hands.

Carve, Wounds of Pain

Two Great Demon Hands appear in front, pincer the enemies from the left and right sides and crush them. It is possible to perform normal attacks while this skill is in effect

Basara attack

All demon hands unite to form a giant demon hand, gather the panicking enemies and beat the livin' crap out of them.

I am LOVING the sound of her attacks. At first I was a little skeptical of losing her Naginata (one of the major reasons being I loved using her "draw everyone in" special with it that was similar to Sasuke's and primed), but I think she may end up being better without it.

Another thing, all of Oichi's info was put up with her today and all of Kobayakawa and Tenkai's will be up next week (along with the Aniki video). That means there is a good chance we will get new info again in the April 15th Famitsu. I wonder if now that Hokuto Musou is out Famitsu will be doing more frequent articles on the game.

------------------------

New Famitsu scans have leaked (04/08 issue) with more SB3 news. There is a short interview which apparently mentions new info will be revealed next week. Oh and Maeda Toshiie and Matsu are shown as returning
NPCs

------------------------

Site got updated again today (04/08).

Here is a link to the Chōsokabe Motochika video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxG6bzYDaHw

Here is the video with subtitles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BocZTxaP1qo

I really liked the Motochika video. I liked how they improved the speed / efficiency of his moveset / skills and he just overall sees much better now.

Voice Sample Translations
Hideaki: "I'm the pot's minister here...which pot do you administer, and where?" "Will you go back home if I bow to you? .....no?"

Tenkai: I will forgive...the sin of murder! I am Tenkai, he who knows the importance of life more than anyone else! *cue evil laugh*

Info on Toshiie and Matsu:
The Maeda have kept a neutral position from the Oda's fall until Sekigahara, but repeated pressure from the eastern army forces Toshiie to choose a side. Matsu has been taken hostage by the eastern army for this reason.

They added the a page on the Co-op Mode to the site which says you can play co-op in the story mode this time (Sengoku Emaki).

They added a page on the clash feature (Kengeki) where basically when it happens you mash square to beat out the opponent (kind of like beam struggles in the DBZ games).

They have new pictures up showing Ieyasu battling different NPCs and some Oichi gameplay (Oichi is looking like she could potentially be an AoE BEAST with her new moveset ^__^).

Interestingly both Toshiie and Matsu's voice samples as well as a new video (I think it is the game's intro which was shown off at some recent event) will be updated on 04/22. That means we should be getting the promised update in Famitsu next week and then in two weeks we will get another video / NPC voices / general site update like this week.

------------------------

Damn the news keeps flowing in this week.

We finally have a Japanese release date: July 29, 2010.

Also: http://www.kotaku.jp/2010/04/basara3_729.html shows Fuuma Kotaro returning as a playable character again. ^__^.

Xater: You should put a link to the official Website in the OP.
http://www.capcom.co.jp/basara3/

Xater

I am back from japan so I can update the OP now. It's nice to finally have a Japanese release date. It's kinda late though, so it makes me wonder when the release for the west will be.

New scans out re-confirming Fuuma Kotaro returning as a playable character. Also shows Hojo Ujimasa and Mogami Yoshiaki as NPCs.
Mogami makes me think of a mix of Masamune and Kojurou w/ a Pringles mustache, lol. I like + it's about time someone in BASARA used a rapier.

Brief summary of the story bits

BlackKite from KoeiWarriors said:
Gramps Ujimasa's life was saved by Kanbei during Odawara, so they become good friends.
The Hojo clan joins the Eastern army.
Kotaro is ordered to scout through the entire land. He happened to stop by at Tsuruhime's place and rescued her from danger.

Scan Translations:

Nine Demons Yoshitaka from KoeiWarriors said:
Fuuma Kotaro:

Ujimasa wants to join the eastern army to make the Hojo house resurrect, and ordered Kotaro to work for him again. While operating in various regions, he happens to save Tsuruhime from danger, and is called "the black-winged man" ever since...

Skills (sorry, the descriptions are too blurry, we'll have to wait for better scans) :

- Counter (new)

Counter-style skill. If Kotaro is attacked while executing the hand seal, he will slash up surrounding enemies while teleporting.

- Leap (old)

Kicks up enemies in the air. By holding the button down, a number of combination techniques can be executed.

- Seal (new)

Kotaro appears before the enemies sealed in the circle. It's possible to add a finisher strike and also air combo them.

The Basara attack seems the same.

Hojo Ujimasa

Quote: Goooo!! This is indeed the time for the Hojo to be revived!!!

Info: His only thought is how to revive the Hojo House. Hoping to taste victory at least once, he tries to enter into the Eastern army. After his life was saved by him at Odawara, he forms a solid friendship with Kanbei.

Mogami Yoshiaki

Title: Leap into the Unknown

Weapon: Military-style Rapier

Quote: I am the Fox of Ushuu (Dewa)...the Great! the Smart! Fox! is me!

Info: Head of the Mogami clan, in control of the Dewa province. He calls himself "Governor of Ushu" (parody of a real title that existed for Oshu and Kyushu ) and "Fox of Dewa" ("title" given to the real Yoshiaki). He plans to become the ruler of Tohoku and is always plotting to achieve that goal. He's a show-off in whatever he does, but the scope of his actions is always relatively small.

Erigu

Tsuchibayashi confirmed on his blog that he was indeed working on the game. I was beginning to wonder.
I'd very much like to see some actual illustrations of the new characters...

Same here. Works for me too because what I am planning to do is get the Wii import version and both the PS3 and Wii US versions. I'm impatient and HAVE to import to play it asap, but I don't have $ to get 2 of the PS3 version so I'll save $ with the Wii one. Then I am getting both versions for the US just to support Capcom for finally bringing it here properly, lol. Also so that I can actually understand the whole story and what not without relying on translations from others.

I believe I've stated this before but playing as Tokugawa Iyeasu looks really fun. I may just base my reason to purchase this Wii or PS3 based on him alone. May = more than likely day of US release.

I've only seen the Sengoku anime and Date is my favorite characters.

But, from the looks of the videos I rather play with Ippo Makunochi, the Gungrave chick and that guy with the stretch armstrong fire lance ;).

Website has been updated with Kotaro, Ujimasa, & Mogami's profiles, more new Oichi pics (including her encountering Keiji o_O), and some lulztastic comedy pics with Kobayakawa-Motonari-Tenkai.

I cracked up at Fuuma's "voice" and, now after seeing him on the site, I have nothing but LOVE for Mogami's design! Can't wait to hear his voice (and I bet he will also have a hilarious dub voice too).

4/22 update is still scheduled to update Toshiie and Matsu's voices and a new video (I think its the intro, but it could be a new trailer).
4/28 update is so far going to be Ujimasa and Mogami's voices.

---------------------------------------------------------------

More info from KW's SB translator extraordinaire:

By the way, in the most recent Famitsu article they said that enemy captains in bases will have one out of three icons over their heads:

Onigiri (restores health)

Sword (Attack UP for a brief period)

Shield (Defense UP for a brief period)

Thus you can decide when to conquer some bases depending on what you need at the moment (E.G.: get a defense boost before fighting a boss/entering an area with strong enemies, or get an attack boost before the boss, or get health when you're in danger, etc...)

It's a small thing, but it adds a little strategy, doesn't it?

Ugh, the English voices aren't that bad but not good either. I especially agree on Date, he needs more engrish :(

Btw: Have we seen any Wii footage yet?

Xater

Glass Soldier said:
Ugh, the English voices aren't that bad but not good either. I especially agree on Date, he needs more engrish :(

Btw: Have we seen any Wii footage yet?

I think there were some screens.

Well I watched the English trailer as well as the Ieyasu, Mitsunari, Yukimura, and Masamune dub vids and I have to say: It's simply ok. I feel Devil Kings had a much more fitting dub, but this one work well enough. While it looks like we will still be getting the proper story translated this time, the translation feels very loose and overly hammy, not sure how I feel about that one. What I am SUPER PISSED OFF about is the Western name order tho. F THAT MASAMUNE DATE BS, ITS DATE MASAMUNE! It pisses me off to no end when I see this in historical based games like this and the Warriors games. (Tho not as much as BK to write off the series from my list of favorites).

On a positive note: The gameplay videos seem to use the same stages but show different things in them. I noticed are new moves for Yukimura, Ieyasu (ELLLLLLLLLBOW DROP OF DOOM! Just like Ujiyasu in SW3), and Mitsunari. Also Autumn 2010 ... sounds like that September 28 date might be true after all. I'm happy it's not Winter 2010 at least, ^__^.

Xater

AdawgDaFAB said:
Well I watched the English trailer as well as the Ieyasu, Mitsunari, Yukimura, and Masamune dub vids and I have to say: It's simply ok.

Simply being ok isn't good enough though, but I guess Ill take it over no localization at all. I still hope Capcom will give us the language option.

TreIII

Xater said:
Simply being ok isn't good enough though, but I guess Ill take it over no localization at all. I still hope Capcom will give us the language option.

Eh. I was going to import any way (been playing these games too long to have it any other way!). :lol

But I guess my main thing is that these English voices....they just don't have no swagg! :lol

I mean, it's not just the Engrish that makes Masamune what he is, to me. It's the overall gangsta-inflection in his voice that makes him come off as a sort of a Banchou/Gang Leader. The guy in the Devil Kings dub came as close as you can get with that, in my eyes, and it disappoints me that this new guy doesn't quite do as such. Ah well....

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hahaha, oh man. Johnny Yong Bosch is playing Yukimura in SB3? He also played Yukimura in Warriors Orochi 2 and will likely play him in Samurai Warriors 3.

Has the same person played the same character in two different franchises before? :lol :lol

Xater said:

I feel the same way, but I knew this is what we would be getting since FUNimation has the anime rights and I knew they wouldn't bring back the Ocean Group for the dub to reprise their DK roles. I thought Mitsunari was really well done. Yukimura was good (liked Scorpio voice better tho, lol), Masamune ... not so fitting, Ieyasu waaaaay to deep toned, Sasuke was just kinda there (Talon felt much more like his character would talk if he spoke English) and Otani ... PERFECT! lol. Overall there could be improvements, but I've heard much MUCH worse and I actually like some of the stuff I heard so it gets a pass from me.

That said, as long as we have a dual language option it is all good. Part of the BASARA series's charm was the distinct voices I grew to love about all the characters over the years.

Edit:

So I got bored and tried to eagle eye all the generic Generals names in the 4 English gameplay videos. I think I got them all:

Tokugawa Ieyasu Video
Asari Nobutane
Akiyama Nobutomo
Baba Nobuharu
Kosaka Masanobu

Sanada Yukimura Video
Oyamada Nobushige - With Yukimura
Kikkawa Hiroie
Mori Takamoto
Ankokuji Ekei
Murakami Takeyoshi
Kobayakawa Takakage
Mori Hidemoto

Ishida Mitsunari Video
Ishida Masazumi - With Mitsunari
Sakakibara Yasumasa
Ishikawa Kazumasa
Takagi Kiyohide

Date Masamune Video
Asari Nobutane
Naito Masatoyo
Oyamada Nobushige
Akiyama Nobutomo

Generic Titles
Squad Leader
Camp Commander
Firing Control Cheif
Water Gate Cheif

Xater

I just registered for Capcom Unity just to let them know about the voice issue. There were not alot of comments, but there were already fans who want the original voices too. maybe you ant to let them know too:

Captivate Blogpost at Capcom Unity

Don't know how much it will help but it's worth a try. It's also really not something that would be impossible. I mean KOEI includes the Japanese vices for some time now.

Also English Gameplay videos:

Yukimura Sanada English Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3twIGDPR8E&feature=player_embedded#!

Mitsunari Ishida English Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3TkeERnCDo&feature=player_embedded

Ieyasu Tokugawa English Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1FZfqfj4f8&feature=player_embedded

Masamune Date English Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N04yqAGcNuU&feature=player_embedded

I really do hope we get Dual Audio for SB:SH but AFAIK SW1 & 1XL were the only Sengoku based Koei games with Dual Audio, so I wouldn't say that is a good comparison you made Xater. Plus, they are very inconsistent overall with what they will do DA for and not. Ex: DW: Gundam had DA, DW: G 2 did not. I don't think any of the Warriors Orochi games had DA either.

Xater

AdawgDaFAB said:
I really do hope we get Dual Audio for SB:SH but AFAIK SW1 & 1XL were the only Sengoku based Koei games with Dual Audio, so I wouldn't say that is a good comparison you made Xater. Plus, they are very inconsistent overall with what they will do DA for and not. Ex: DW: Gundam had DA, DW: G 2 did not. I don't think any of the Warriors Orochi games had DA either.

Well the games I played had dual audio. Orochi on the PSP had dual audio btw. No matter what Koei does it should not be impossible to put the japanese voices into the PS3 version. The BD should be big enough.

Sad_Panda

Erigu said:
You won't:
http://www.gamekult.com/articles/A0000084003/

Kobayashi claims there isn't enough room for that... Not even on the PlayStation 3 version? Right...

Just saw that. And to think I was ready to bite the bullet and wait 'till autumn to support Western sales. I don't usually care much about Japanese tracks, but after putting 200+ hours in SB2 Heroes, I can't imagine playing SB3 with a crappy English dub. Lack of space ? Seriously, on a Blu-Ray ? Lamest excuse ever.

205101093b-top2.jpg

s

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/jeansmate/c/0000000594/

Make sure you sport Sengoku Basara stuff while you play this game!

Xater said:
FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

I'm still getting the western release. The game needs support and I want to know what the hell is going on. Still one of the worst excuses ever if true. (I can't read french)

Sadly this is what it says using Google Translate:

"Will you offer the original Japanese voices with the output of the game in the West?

Because of space, the versions for Europe and the United States would simply offer the English dubbing.".

I truly hope this bit of info is not true. I don't follow international gaming sites so I don't know how reliable they are, but that really put a huge damper on my eagerness to support the international release. This is really the first and only time news about this game has really disappointed me. NPCs, cut characters, etc... I was fine with all of it just because I knew the game would be amazing and eventually I'll get to play as everyone again, I'm patient, I can wait. However, while I am 100% importing this, I REALLY wanted to get this day one in the US to show Capcom that there is an audience for SB outside of Japan. I was even planning on pre-ordering both the Wii and PS3 version and buying copies of the PS3 version for a bunch of friends who I turned into SB fans as graduation gifts so we can play together still with the online coop ... but if they don't offer DA on the PS3 version I don't know if I can justify that anymore.

I was willing to give the dub a chance just to mess around for kicks, but I've played hundreds of hours of SB2/SB2H/SBX and BASARA just isn't the same without all the voices I've grown to love. DAMNIT!

There should be no damn excuse for them not to have dual audio on the PS3 version. And I won't buy parity with the Wii version either because the PS3 version already has online co-op which the Wii one does not. I may now end up just importing it and renting the US version to quickly play through all the stories to understand it all.

Xater

AdawgDaFAB said:
Sadly this is what it says using Google Translate:

"Will you offer the original Japanese voices with the output of the game in the West?

Because of space, the versions for Europe and the United States would simply offer the English dubbing.".

I hope its not true, I don't follow international gaming sites so I don't know how reliable they are, but that really put a huge damper on my eagerness to support the international release. I am 100% importing this, but I REALLY wanted to get this day one in the US to show Capcom that there is an audience for SB outside of Japan, but if they don't offer DA on the PS3 version I don't know if I can justify that. I was willing to give the dub a chance just to mess around for kicks, but I've played hundreds of hours of SB2/SB2H/SBX and BASARA just isn't the same without all the voices I've grown to love. DAMNIT! There should be no damn excuse for them not to have dual audio on the PS3 version. And I won't buy parity with the Wii version either because the PS3 version already has online co-op which the Wii one does not.

But playing with a guide to figure out the story isn't that great. Also who knows how long we will have to wait for a guide. If my Japanese was better I'd probably go with the import too.

I edited my post. If this ends up being true I will probably just rent it to get understand the story without having to rely on translations and stick to the Japanese version of all my real gameplay. I've 100%ed SB2 and SB2H already so I'm used to the Japanese versions anyways. However, I was sooooooooo looking forward to finally getting to fully enjoy SB at its best. All I wanted was my favorite Japanese exclusive franchise to have English text so I don't have to rely on others to translate stuff for me.

matmanx1

English video looks nice even if the voices are cringeworthy. A Japanese VO option would be nice but it looks like that won't happen. Doesn't matter as I'm already +1 for a PS3 copy when it arrives.

I just watched Tokugawa's English gameplay, I'm rather content with the VA work. Sounds like Troy Baker. I think I need to brush up on my history I assumed Tokugawa was younger than the other main characters in this game?

Top Bottom