• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 JP |OT| -

WillyFive

Why couldn't they use this instead? The arrangement is the problem, not the composition.

Sounds like something developers would put on a Sega CD game just to show off all the effects you could do, with no regard to how good it sounded. That music would be distracting instead of helpful to keep up the pace of the gameplay.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I'm incredibly hyped for this game but I'm sad the music isn't better. It's exceptionally sad considering the Galaxy games have amazing music and even Super Mario Land 3D sounds pretty great.

Yup. Reward is stupid. I would much rather have the coins maybe be used to unlock things as you go through the game, and then when you finally get the goal amount, maybe unlock the final world and the real ending sort of deal. Well, at least it's not a star by your name! That nobody else except you will see or care about!

You're just a fucking genius aren't you? How you do that thing where you know somethin that the majority don't. Good for you.

I've been gamin for 30 years and detest trial and error gameplay and i can assure you there is nothing trial and error about origins whatsoever. Secondly, you have posted the most ignorant analytical post I've seen in the couple of years i've been visitin this site.

I love Rayman Origins, I bought it on PS3 and Vita, but the treasure chest levels absolutely are trial and error. You do it exactly the way the developers envisioned or you die. Very similar to the Donkey Kong Country Returns Rocket Barrel stages in that regard. I still liked those stages, as they were a rush when the mix of reflexes and memorization fell into place.

watershed

Banned
Yup. Reward is stupid. I would much rather have the coins maybe be used to unlock things as you go through the game, and then when you finally get the goal amount, maybe unlock the final world and the real ending sort of deal. Well, at least it's not a star by your name! That nobody else except you will see or care about!

You got to a million coins already? That was fast.

Teknoman

So since it seems to be a SMB3/Mario World/NSMB mix up, are there more dino enemies than
Reznor
? or at least some areas reminiscent of Dino Island?

Drago

Maybe I'm just an awful human being but I put the NSMB art style at the same level as SMW. They are both a bit bland, if you ask me (SMW world map excluded, that looked good)

I'm certainly glad that NSMBU is getting a new(ish) art style though... I think I will have had enough of it after NSMB2

Well, first of all, Limbo is like a 2 hour game, so I am not entirely sure how it could be as "sleep inducing" as you seem to think it is. The
bear trap jump scare
at the beginning of the game is enough to keep someone awake through the entirety of the game, honestly.

Also, Mario 2 (aka The Lost Levels) has a ton of trial and error (hell, that poison mushroom in the first level is trial and error game design 101) and it was one of the most challenging and fun Mario games ever. Though, I didn't find the Rayman Origins "death teeth" levels that unforgiving, though that may be just from playing Dust Force and Super Meat Boy.

Oh, and it is hilarious to think of Rayman Origins as "overwhelming" if you hadn't played Wii platformers, since Kirby Epic Yarn is a Wii platformer, and suffers much worse than Rayman in all the problems you listed there. Though, I loved both games a lot, being slow doesn't mean "bad level design."

Vibed

Besides the art style, which really is fuck-boring, what about NSMB isn't new? Some on the first page said 3D Land was refreshing in comparison, but as much as I love that game, all I can see it brings is flagpoles and short, linear levels to 3D. The original NSMB was the first 2D Mario in a while, NSMBW was one of the first platforming games this gen to have co-op multiplayer and the first Nintendo game with the Super Guide feature, and NSMB2 puts extreme focus on coins so as to change the whole game dynamic, which is a heck of a lot more "New" than 3D Land. Of course, that depends on whether you actually bother collecting them.

Granted, I haven't played 2 yet, so I guess I'll just wait and see.

Drago

Man, I swear I never knew that people apparently hated the NSMB games before I went on the internet. :/

The games are too damn fun for me to hate, haha. I like the artstyle, but it really is starting to wear out it's welcome. I'm really happy to see NSMBU change things up for once

I'm buying a WiiU just for NSMBU, actually (and Rayman and Pikmin :p)

zroid

Banned
Man, I swear I never knew that people apparently hated the NSMB games before I went on the internet. :/

haha, same here. I admit when I first played NSMB DS, my expectations for a good "modern" 2D platformer were very different from what they are now. I loved it for what it was at the time; perhaps I'll feel differently today? I don't really care to go back and replay it though. Much better things to do.

I didn't like NSMB when it first came out. I thought NSMBW was the best 2d Mario platformer behind Yoshi's Island and had better level design than World. I also disliked the music coming off the Galaxy games. On the other hand, I didn't realize the hate for the art style was so strong on the internet.

Yeah, signifigantly different.

Eh, 3D Land has always looked like what I would expect a NSMB game to look like in 3D. 3D Land definitely had the most boring of any 3D Mario artstyle.

Beat
Bowser
last night, and I have to say that while I really enjoyed it, and the levels were well designed and a ton of fun, I'm not completely satisfied. The game did a lot right, and the handful of additions were fun, but
I wish there had been a few surprises along the way, and perhaps there will be in the star world, but I was hoping for a new power up, or a new boss somewhere. I hate that the recent games have kept the old style of always having the same minibosses like the boom booms in Mario 3 and again in 3d land then the reznors in Mario world and agan in NSMB2, or Bowser Junior in NSMBwii. The Bowser fight wasn't really all that much fun, either. It wasn't that hard, but it was annoying.

Still a fantastic game in the whole, and I have a lot of levels left to find and a hell of a lot of coins to get, so it's not all bad. A lot of the levels seem really well suited to speedrunning, so it's too bad the time score isn't back.

I don't know how anyone could hate on NSMBWii since that's basically a giant love letter to any platformer fan ever. NSMB DS hasn't aged well at all.

It's easy to hate NSMBWii. It bored the s*** outa me. Felt like a lazy money-grab to me. NSMB DS also ranks up there as one of my least favorite Nintendo-made platformers. I'd gladly play Origins over either of those games. Nintendo fans seem to take that opinion as an attack on Nintendo themselves, but not much I can do about that. I simply disliked those games greatly.

Anth0ny

Besides the art style, which really is fuck-boring, what about NSMB isn't new? Some on the first page said 3D Land was refreshing in comparison, but as much as I love that game, all I can see it brings is flagpoles and short, linear levels to 3D. The original NSMB was the first 2D Mario in a while, NSMBW was one of the first platforming games this gen to have co-op multiplayer and the first Nintendo game with the Super Guide feature, and NSMB2 puts extreme focus on coins so as to change the whole game dynamic, which is a heck of a lot more "New" than 3D Land. Of course, that depends on whether you actually bother collecting them.

Granted, I haven't played 2 yet, so I guess I'll just wait and see.

I would consider the bolded "fuck-boring". 3D Land is a hell of a lot more "new" than NSMB has been since the original DS game.

With U dropping this holiday... fuck. "New" is the last word I'd use to describe these games.

BowieZ

Banned
Just so people are aware, "NEW SUPER MARIO BROS" is the name of the series, of which there is one per system, acting as an introduction to players to the unique elements therein.

There have been four games across 6 years, which is unlike SMB1, 2, 3 and USA/2 which were released over a couple of years.

The difference in graphical output between NSMB DS and NSMB WiiU is stark, not even mentioning the litterings of gameplay experimentations along the way.

After 30 years' advancement in video games, designers have to be creative in different ways than just graphics and art style. Especially when you are trying to maintain a degree of familiarity to sustain popularity of a dying medium.

It's easy to hate NSMBWii. It bored the s*** outa me. Felt like a lazy money-grab to me. NSMB DS also ranks up there as one of my least favorite Nintendo-made platformers. I'd gladly play Origins over either of those games. Nintendo fans seem to take that opinion as an attack on Nintendo themselves, but not much I can do about that. I simply disliked those games greatly.

NSMBW was boring until about World 4 where it turned it up into an amazing 2d platformer. I love Rayman Origins, but to me the platforming was not nearly as tight and I definitely agree with the complaints that it was a bunch of trial and error in the game where it only let you play it one way. I also found the multiplayer in NSMBW fun as hell.

Edit: One of the reasons people do get more disappointed in Nintendo releases like this is not because they pump them out at such a fast pace. It's the exact opposite for me. NSMB2 reusing art assets and music is incredibly disappointing because we won't get another handheld NSMB game for like 5-6 more years and the same with the console series. If you don't like Mario Kart 7 than too bad because they won't be releasing another one on the same platform. This is a good thing because it doesn't let oversaturation happen, but if I'm only getting one of these per platform I want them to go all out. It's not like Nintendo can't justify spending the extra money to add more online features. These games making billions for them.

boiled goose

good with gravy
no leaderboards for 2D mario games is a huge missed opportunity. :/

This would increase the replay value so much... speedruns, high score, coins ,etc. could be so amazing, but no... nintendo has to skimp on online features.

WTF nintendo.

Ok, so I finished up
Star World
and most of the rest of the game, but I haven't been able to get into
flower world
. Can anyone tell me how to get there? I've noticed the
cannons on world 3 and mushroom world, but I haven't been able to get to either.

I liked the first ds game. And it has an amazing multiplayer mode. Any competitive multiplayer in this one?

To each their own, I guess. Just to be clear, I don't think the DS iteration is a bad game, just really bland in terms of level design.

As far as I can tell, there's only local co-op multiplayer.

Ok, so I finished up
Star World
and most of the rest of the game, but I haven't been able to get into
flower world
. Can anyone tell me how to get there? I've noticed the
cannons on world 3 and mushroom world, but I haven't been able to get to either.

The ghost house in Mushroom World has a secret exit that sends you on a path to the cannon that takes you to Flower World.

To each their own, I guess. Just to be clear, I don't think the DS iteration is a bad game, just really bland in terms of level design.

As far as I can tell, there's only local co-op multiplayer.

The ghost house in Mushroom World has a secret exit that sends you on a path to the cannon that takes you to Flower World.

That seemed the most likely candidate on that world.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I've always been terrible at Mario, but somehow the most interesting aspect is looking for the big coins and secret passages. I think I've never completed the first DS one, although I got pretty far, but aren't the secrets in this game hidden much better than in the previous NSMB titles?

Nisa65

I've always been terrible at Mario, but somehow the most interesting aspect is looking for the big coins and secret passages. I think I've never completed the first DS one, although I got pretty far, but aren't the secrets in this game hidden much better than in the previous NSMB titles?

I've been trying to find the second star coin on World 2-4 as well as the secret path in that world's ghost house for over an hour.

Coincidentally if anyone could help me with that I'd be highly grateful.

hongcha

I beat this game last night, now I'm going back through it to get the star coins I missed and searching how to unlock the secret stuff. I love this game to pieces. It is so good in almost every way - the rehashed music being the one area where it is a letdown. The level design is just brilliant, it really harkens back to the SMW days. This is so much better than NSMB and NSMBWii.

Socreges

Banned
I beat this game last night, now I'm going back through it to get the star coins I missed and searching how to unlock the secret stuff. I love this game to pieces. It is so good in almost every way - the rehashed music being the one area where it is a letdown. The level design is just brilliant, it really harkens back to the SMW days. This is so much better than NSMB and NSMBWii.
Can you elaborate on this point? I don't care about being spoiled, but maybe spoiler tag your reply for other people that don't want to know.

Are you comparing the installation of a game tied to a single key (and thus, to a single user) with no possible way to "resell" it to the installation of a physical cartridge on your system?

This has to be one of the stupidest comparaison I've read on the gaming side this year.
Doesn't the 3DS use accounts? I don't see why hence being given a digital copy for the system that particular cartridge is tied to is that dumb (and if the system doesn't use accounts, include a single-use serial code similar to what the PS3 version of Portal 2 does for Steam instead). Now that Nintendo is bulking up how they handle their online stores, expecting them to match similar online store's services like the original poster was asking about doesn't seem stupid at all... Ignoring the context of this being Nintendo and online we're taking about here.

I don't see how that's a dumb 'comparaison'.

Zave

I've been trying to find the second star coin on World 2-4 as well as the secret path in that world's ghost house for over an hour.

At the end of the first section of level 2-4 there is a fall full of coins, a bit after the checkpoint and a the top of the pyramid. You have to go down that pit to take the yellow pipe and finish the level, but... before heading down the pit/fall, move right also if the screen seems stuck. You'll discover a new area with the 2nd Star Coin.

Meanwhile, can anybody help me with the cannon in the Flower World? Can't find how to reach it.

Toru

The second star coin is
hidden in a yellow pipe after the checkpoint, where a golden ring and goombas appear. There is a block. Destroy it and you can go down.

Edit: beaten

Meanwhile, can anybody help me with the cannon in the
Flower World?
Can't find how to reach it.

In flower-1, near the end, there are two blocks floating together. When you hit the second, it flies away. Hit it from above instead of below, and you will ride the block. Keep on riding it, and it will fly into the sky and to the secret exit.

That said, does anyone know how to get to the world 3 cannon?

Nisa65

The second star coin is
hidden in a yellow pipe after the checkpoint, where a golden ring and goombas appear. There is a block. Destroy it and you can go down.

Edit: beaten

Can't believe I missed that. Thanks guys.

Now to find the hidden path in world 2.

Edit: Ha, got it literally within a minute of typing this post.

How would you compare it to NSMBDS and NSMBWii? I hate the former, lover the latter so this is a pretty important distinction for me.

It's been a long time since New Super Mario Brothers, for me, so since NSMBWii was more recent, I can only fully compare it to the new game.

The levels are smaller than NSMBW, probably on par with NSMB, but they are creative, with a lot of variety from level to level. The cannon levels are fantastic, and I wish there were more of them. They feel fresh and new, which is the one thing this game really doesn't have much of. It feels like most of the levels are parts from other mario games, mostly 3, world, and the other NSMB games, just mixed in clever, interesting ways.

The ghost houses are excellent, and there are a few surprises there, but there are very few other surprises in the game.

Still, it's really solid, no levels struck me as boring, most of the boss fights are decent, although after you get your first hit on most bosses, you shouldn't get hit again. Not crazy about the last boss, definitely not on par with NSMBwii or Super Mario 3Dland's final bosses.

I prefer NSMB Wii and 3Dland overall, both are more challenging and longer lasting, but it's still much better than the DS game. The (mostly) short stages are really tightly designed and easy to dash through for a replay. I had fun pretty much the whole time, and I have a few stages to unlock and star coins to get still.

Top Bottom