• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 JP |OT| -

Oh wow, just remembered I can actually download DK Original Edition since I linked by JP CN account to my 3DS a few months back. That's a pretty nice incentive for going digital, I guess.

I'm guessing no, but has anyone unlocked the 1 million coins secret?

I don't think so.

zroid

Banned
I can't believe you guys really care that much about what you unlock. There is absolutely nothing they could (feasibly) offer that would make collecting 1 million coins "worthwhile". If the journey isn't enough, then the destination sure as hell won't be.

Santiako

I can't believe you guys really care that much about what you unlock. There is absolutely nothing they could (feasibly) offer that would make collecting 1 million coins "worthwhile". If the journey isn't enough, then the destination sure as hell won't be.

They could offer you free DLC for the million coins. :p

Chopper

I think a Wario intervention would have satisfied the weird feeling I have about this game. I've pre-ordered, and I'm looking forward to playing it. It's just...weird.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How is playing with the slide pad? On 3DSXL I think the dpad might be slightly low down for comfortable use over extended periods so I'm wondering if this is playable with the analog pad (I always assume a 2D platformer is better suited to a dpad)

zroid

Banned
Collecting a fuckzillion coins doesn't look very fun.

Yeah, it's like I said. If collecting 1 million coins doesn't sound fun to you, there's no unlock that could make it worthwhile. Just play the game normally. Seems like that's also a viable option.

Huff

Banned
Somekind of trophy/achievent would make it worth it to tons of people. But I assume nothing of the kind is implemented. Hey at least you can street pass

I played 4 levels in a demo kiosk, and I have to say, I really enjoy the NSMB on a portable system. I was not a big fan of the Wii version, but being able to have new, classic style 2D platforming on the go is a must for me. Once I get a 3DS I am totally getting me this game.

What I want to know is if the counter goes past 1 million.
I hope it stays on 1 million exactly. Plus turns gold. And sparkles.

Seeing as the 'prize' for collecting all star coins, levels, secret world and everything else on NSMBW was a text message on the screen saying 'you've done it' then I'm already gearing myself up for mega disappointment for when I hit a milli.

DjRoomba

Banned
Just beat the game with a little over 18k coins. The first two worlds left a good impression on me, but things started feeling incredibly samey afterwards. At the end of the day, it's still a Mario platformer, and it's still enjoyable, but it doesn't really add much to the 2D Mario formula. Coin rush is kind of fun, though. If Nintendo prices the DLC levels for Coin Rush right, I think I'd bite.

I think 3D Land is the better overall Mario experience, though.

Feeling incredibly samey? Well Im guessing your problem is you completed the entire game in a matter of 2 days..Take your time much?

Feeling incredibly samey? Well Im guessing your problem is you completed the entire game in a matter of 2 days..Take your time much?

I meant samey relative to the other two NSMB games. I get a feeling of "Wow, didn't I already do this in NSMBDS & Wii?" The fact that the music is ripped wholesale from NSMB Wii doesn't help matters, either.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

I wonder if a problem this game is going to present for some, is that if you don't play and keep replaying levels to experiment with optimizing coin runs, it's not going to feel like much.

Yes, even aside from what kind of spotpass competition and whatnot ends up being in the game, the general point of this one is to bank coins. Playing it once and shelving it won't leave much of an impression, I'd guess.

All the playthroughs I've seen so far suggest that the level design is built around complex 'Rube Goldberg' coin farming layouts, apart from just the basic platforming. Dunno how complex it gets later in the game.

Then there's the deal with Coin Rush turning it into 1-life speed runs, which has got to change the meaning of the level design.

Seems like the biggest problem the game really has is the music re-use. That's a rather legit issue, but relatively the most minor point.

Riposte

NSMBDS says no, NSMBWii says yes.

Which do I listen to?

This is my question. Wii was a good return to form, however Mario has never been much good on a portable. I want to know whether this game is more like DS or Wii. Coin collecting doesn't interest me much at all.

Speaking of which I could not care less about people's comments on the aesthetics. I just want to know what the level design is like.

JazzmanZ

The only thing I'm getting sick of in NSMB is the grass, desert, snow worlds they keep reusing.

How about changing it up a bit and have the first world be the Lava world? or a space world? is it that hard Nintendo?

Vidiot

Yeah, it's like I said. If collecting 1 million coins doesn't sound fun to you, there's no unlock that could make it worthwhile. Just play the game normally. Seems like that's also a viable option.

Not true. I would have happily taken
another playable character like Wario or even Peach.
Spoilers in case some people don't want to know what the reward might not be.

If the reward was something like that I would go for it. As it stands I'll just play it until I tire of it and if I didn't make it to 1 million then oh well.

I mean I still play NSMBW but that's mostly speed runs. Slowly collecting all the coins in a level just doesn't seem like something that will keep me coming back. I guess if I did enough speed runs I could hit 1 million eventually but with people saying they were around 20,000 (I think, correct me if I'm wrong please) after completing the story mode I really do think I'll shelve it before making it to 1 million.

Anyway it's 2D Mario so I'll enjoy it either way. Though NSMBU looks to be superior to me. :p

The way to 1 million coins could have been a great opportunity for some sophisticated achievement/unlockable system. But one should have expected the laziest route from this series.
Gonna get the U game if anything. Ima take a guess and expect that the home console team sgonna be superior again. Though even if not, the WiiU game at least looks more like a new game than an add-on. The already underwhelming aesthetics and mostly even the soundtrack being almost completely copied irks me way too much. And I've just finished 3D Land, so I'm fine :/

The only thing I'm getting sick of in NSMB is the grass, desert, snow worlds they keep reusing.

How about changing it up a bit and have the first world be the Lava world? or a space world? is it that hard Nintendo?

Despite new backgrounds, even the WiiU game seems to follow the same path. So lame. How about a new world, like Yoshis Island? (Not to mention that this should have been a Wario Land game to begin with)
I guess only EAD Tokyo gives a shit at this point.

You can tell this is a B-team effort when New Super Mario bros. U already looks ten times better, yet we haven't seen any new gameplay footage since E3.

This is my question. Wii was a good return to form, however Mario has never been much good on a portable. I want to know whether this game is more like DS or Wii. Coin collecting doesn't interest me much at all.

I find it to be a bit closer to DS than Wii. I didn't find the level design to be as boring as DS, though.

zroid

Banned
Not true. I would have happily taken
another playable character like Wario or even Peach.
Spoilers in case some people don't want to know what the reward might not be.

If the reward was something like that I would go for it. As it stands I'll just play it until I tire of it and if I didn't make it to 1 million then oh well.

The problem with this, in my opinion, is you're getting a reward that encourages you to keep playing the game. After you've already played it to death. It doesn't make any sense to me. If you're getting something like that, the logical thing would be to have it unlocked at the start.

Something that's preferable to have in the beginning over the end isn't a good reward.

I wonder if a problem this game is going to present for some, is that if you don't play and keep replaying levels to experiment with optimizing coin runs, it's not going to feel like much.

If the game doesn't have good level design without the need to try and do coin speed runs than something is wrong.
The problem with this, in my opinion, is you're getting a reward that encourages you to keep playing the game. After you've already played it to death. It doesn't make any sense to me. If you're getting something like that, the logical thing would be to have it unlocked at the start.

Something that's preferable to have in the beginning over the end isn't a good reward.

It seems like this falls way short when compared to the post game of SM3D Land and Galaxy 2 even without the 1 million coin reward.

Vidiot

Might just be me then.
A new character, or set of levels, or even a special boss is much better then the two previously suggested rewards IMHO.

Foffy

Banned
It seems like this falls way short when compared to the post game of SM3D Land and Galaxy 2 even without the 1 million coin reward.

I don't think it's fair to mention Galaxy 2. That has quite possibly the best post-game content of any game I've ever played. It's hard to top what's essentially the point on a pyramid of greatness.

zroid

Banned

About 3D Land, that's really more like the second half than "post-game". At least, I think of it that way. It wouldn't have been much good otherwise.

I'll give you Galaxy 2 though, that was a really amazing way to extend the game's already significant amount of content.

TrueBlue

You can tell this is a B-team effort when New Super Mario bros. U already looks ten times better, yet we haven't seen any new gameplay footage since E3.

This is a "Mario Cram School" project, right? At least, I think Iwata Asks said something close to that. Hopefully these newbies will be able to grow with experience as they keep making games. They've definitely improved from the original NSMB.

qq more

Lava World being the first world isn't exactly the greatest idea... But I see what you mean. I wish they'd shake up a few things in terms of level theme.

Honestly I want them to ditch the current themes altogether. NSMBU looks to take a step in the right direction with the starry night levels and the van gogh levels. The 3D games do this much better. The mushroom kingdom has been old for a while now.

zroid

Banned
so, anyone care to give some impressions of the Dash Mario levels? Are they pretty standard stuff, or any twists on the concept?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Honestly I want them to ditch the current themes altogether. NSMBU looks to take a step in the right direction with the starry night levels and the van gogh levels. The 3D games do this much better. The mushroom kingdom has been old for a while now.

I wish they would use something from the M&L games. Bo-omb galleries with train tracks, Koopa villages, a beach section...

thinking about it, has any of the 2D Marios ever had a beach themed world?

Top Bottom