• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

In the 23 years since Super Mario Land first released, this is only the sixth fifth handheld Mario title. Isn't that pretty insane?

1989 - Super Mario Land
1992 - Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
1994 - Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3*
2006 - New Super Mario Bros.
2011 - Super Mario 3D Land
2012 - New Super Mario Bros. 2

*it doesn't count, but I know somebody will say it does so I put it anyway

Unless you count the one million ports and spinoffs.

Mercutio

This is paid off and waiting for me at the Nintendo Store, with my 3DS XL. I'm weirdly not expecting much from it after Rayman Origins marked a new high watermark in the genre (IMO).

As long as the basic mechanics are solid, I'll be happy.

Jazzem

It's curious; even though I don't like how stylistically safe this game is, I'm still quite pumped for it. I even played a bit of 3D Land today, a game I've 100%'d in every way possible, in anticipation. Love me some Mario platforming :)

Tell you what though, I'd love an actual New Super Mario Bros 2, as in another vegetable throwing one. Guess Apple Jack 2 on Xbox Live Indie is the closest we'll get to that ;_;

Silvawuff

It's curious; even though I don't like how stylistically safe this game is, I'm still quite pumped for it. I even played a bit of 3D Land today, a game I've 100%'d in every way possible, in anticipation. Love me some Mario platforming :)

Tell you what though, I'd love an actual New Super Mario Bros 2, as in another vegetable throwing one. Guess Apple Jack 2 on Xbox Live Indie is the closest we'll get to that ;_;

Doki Doki Panic (Super Mario Bros. 2) originally wasn't going to be a Mario game, iirc. I'm glad it was or we would not have Birdo. I also love your avatar a million times. Just like I think it's interesting this game makes you collect a million coins.

Jazzem

Doki Doki Panic (Super Mario Bros. 2) originally wasn't going to be a Mario game, iirc. I'm glad it was or we would not have Birdo.

Aye, and it does show. I think it's such an interesting and well made platformer regardless, very nice change of pace. Great soundtrack too :)

I also love your avatar a million times.

Ahah nice one! :D Dynamite Headdy is such an underrated gem, possibly my favourite non Mario or Sonic platformer. But it does relate to the topic of games I'd love to see get sequels but probably never will ;_;

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
pretty pumped for this. Negativity didn't affect me one bit, it will still be a brilliant game!

heck i may even try and download it from the eshop, but I'll need download times first

About that.

Are the special worlds like in the first NSMB where they were different themed worlds? I'm reading on Gamefaqs that they're mash-ups in this, which would mean recycled with different layouts in the levels. If true than that means it really is just 6 worlds, right?

And anyone know the download size on eShop?

Berordn

About that.

Are the special worlds like in the first NSMB where they were different themed worlds? I'm reading on Gamefaqs that they're mash-ups in this, which would mean recycled with different layouts in the levels. If true than that means it really is just 6 worlds, right?

If you mean themed worlds, then technically. The first two are laid out like the other 6 worlds in the game, though they have no unique theme or backdrop. The last one is basically a straight line to the castle, closer to NSMB Wii's World 9.

rpmurphy

I've been wondering this as well. I haven't seen any mention of these in NA so it seems the only option we have to download it is full price directly from the eShop.

NoA has said nothing about them, sadly. I think NoA would have mentioned we're getting them by now in case that was actually happening. Seems like it's either eShop or retail.
Figures. I asked the local Gamestop clerks about it last week and they had absolutely no idea if they were doing that, which wasn't promising since they were pushing preorders regardless. NoA did some eShop download code cards earlier, but since NSMB2 is a retail title unlike those and the retail landscape is different from Japan's, perhaps Nintendo has a higher challenge working with retailers here to stock them. Oh well. :(

If you mean themed worlds, then technically. The first two are laid out like the other 6 worlds in the game, though they have no unique theme or backdrop. The last one is basically a straight line to the castle, closer to NSMB Wii's World 9.

Honestly, I'm disappointed. I was excited for this and criticized reviews for docking scores for a lack of creativity, but that just shows laziness on Nintendo's part. I'm sure I'll still enjoy the game because Super Mario games are always fun, but that's still disappointing.

Thanks. That's not that large. I didn't want to download over a gig via eShop. Still deciding whether to go digital or retail.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why, but I'm super excited for it now.

I wasn't so much when they first showed off the game.

That's not that large. I didn't want to download over a gig via eShop. Still deciding whether to go digital or retail.
Well, considering the lack of a proper account system and that it's practically the same price, I think it would be better to go retail. But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Obviously it wouldn't be cheaper in the eShop, that would undermine retailers and open up a big can of worms.
And that is why download cards would be a great option.

Obviously it wouldn't be cheaper in the eShop, that would undermine retailers and open up a big can of worms.

With Nintendo releases like this, I don't think it matters because they never get a price drop even at retail. New Super Mario Bros. DS is still $34.99. I rarely, practically never, see big name Nintendo games especially Mario games get price drops or sales other than re-releases as greatest hits.

Best thing anyone can hope for are those buy 2 get 1 free deals. It's been happening a lot with 3DS games lately. I'm thinking about waiting for a sale like that at Best Buy or Target and take advantage of it. Toys R Us has frequent 3DS deals.

Well, considering the lack of a proper account system and that it's practically the same price, I think it would be better to go retail. But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

And that is why download cards would be a great option.

I'd love to have it on my system at all times. But yeah you're right, the account system can backfire. What if I get a 3DSXL? Would I be unable to play these games if I transfer the SD card?

I forget how that works on the 3DS. Knowing Nintendo, I'm pretty sure I'd have to buy another copy if I want to play on my 3DSXL!

BD1

Banned
Might skip this for awhile. I want NSMBU to be the only NSMB I play this year.

I sort of feel the same way. I'm debating rather or not I'll pick this up. I'm feeling a little NSMB burn out with the double release this year, and if given a choice, I think I'd rather go with the first HD Mario game.

hachi

Banned
I just want the Coin Rush mode.

I've been playing SMB Deluxe on the GBC lately and absolutely love the challenge mode which requires balancing coin collection with speedrunning in order to maximize your score.

I never really did much speedrunning on Mario in the past (playing more leisurely for the most part) because there has never been any incentive. SM3DL started to change that, because I insist on keeping the top time per level after each new Streetpass, but rushing without bothering to collect coins and powerups is still not quite as much fun as the balanced rushing in SMB Deluxe, and presumably in NSMB2.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
your review is not that encouraging. i'll buy it, anyway. because i like Mario games.

It's still fun.

No surprise there other than I think people are being pretty gracious with the scores.

Exactly what the game has. No Surprises.

...really now? Reading your review, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Looks like my proofer wrote that in, I've removed it. They're not essential at all. The game is all about them though.

Velcro Fly

$30 pre-order from Newegg. I'm hoping that it will ship Friday to get here by the early part of next week. I had such a great experience with KH shipping from them the day before release and arriving on August 1st. Have a friend who is getting the game too. Can't wait for coin rush. I think it's going to be a blast trying to perfect runs through stages.

If only Nintendo gave us a way to save replays to our SD card for upload to Youtube...

Mael

Btw there's a mistake on the release date.
France got it on August 10th.
Yes it's out here.
And funnily enough that game pushed me into finishing Mario 3D Land (and now onto getting that last stage).
Also I finished it without so much trouble it's harder than nsmb but easier than nsmbw I'd say.
Now onto getting all the levels...
Oh yeah 20 000 coins and counting so far.

Top Bottom