• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

Robin64

Oddly excited at "just more standard Mario", really.Would love to know how much the digital one will be in Europe (Nintendo have been tight-lipped). I want to embrace Nintendo's online world, but not if it's too expensive.

JordanKZ

I... I'm honestly in shock at Nintendo thinking that they can sell this for £40 on the eShop when it's £25-£30 to buy physically in store. What happened to "slightly cheaper" than retail?

Nintendo, you can't sell a digital handheld game for that kind of money and then complain that Apple continue to eat your share of the market. If you made this even £10 cheaper I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

m.i.s.

Banned
I... I'm honestly in shock at Nintendo thinking that they can sell this for £40 on the eShop when it's £25-£30 to buy physically in store. What happened to "slightly cheaper" than retail?

Nintendo, you can't sell a digital handheld game for that kind of money and then complain that Apple continue to eat your share of the market. If you made this even £10 cheaper I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

Well, here's your reason why 3DS sales have fallen off a cliff in the UK: 3DS XL UK sales "A little shy of 5 figures" (less than 10,000) and also 3DS nears UK 1m three months slower than DS

Doesn't bode well for the price of the forthcoming Wii U in the UK.

Wait, what?

Seriously?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Has there been confirmation of £40 on the eShop?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Yeah, just saw on the Ngamer site.

In news that completely stuns us, Nintendo has announced that New Super Mario Bros. 2 will cost £39.99 on the eShop – that’s a fiver more than the RRP and a tenner more than Amazon is charging.

Meanwhile, Freakyforms Deluxe is £24.99 (£19.99 on Amazon), with the £5.40 eShop original being removed from the store, and New Art Academy is £29.99 (£19.99 on Amazon).
Fucking hell, Nintendo.

Robin64

Fucking hell, Nintendo.

I normally avoid swearing on here, but fucking hell is right. ShopTo wins again, where I can get it at nearly half that price *and* have it delivered early.

Nintendo's online strategy still a joke. Hooray. I really honestly truly had faith this would be the start of a new era for them.

Randdalf

Yeesh, £40? Closer to £20 would be more respectable, considering there's no packaging cost. Guess I won't be buying this digitally then =/

Fuck. How much is it on the US E-Store? Might go back to importing Nintendo with the Wii-U if that's an indication of Nintendo Europe's digital pricing.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Another EU ad.

Vp5p3.jpg

M3d10n

Oh and it's out too.
Another victory for DD.
So now the question would be
why bother with the eshop version?

Because you're not supposed to buy it directly from the eShop: Nintendo is making sure it's the most expensive version to give retailers advantage.

Now, the question is: where the fuck are the retail download codes? I want to import without paying and waiting for shipping, dammit!

miksar

Well, yes, I know Nintendo doesn't get the Internet, but this right here is completely fucking ridiculous. I mean, who on earth thought that selling a digital copy at a higher price than in retail was a good idea? Are they serious? Do they really expect us to pay more for the convenience of having it installed on an SD card without having the cartridge version? Not to mention that we're not talking about relatively cheap though still overpriced Game Boy games — we're talking about full-blown releases that cost ten times as much. What if I buy around 10 games and lose my 3DS? Will it be £400 just going to drain?

I don't see why anyone in his right mind would buy it digitally now. I usually put up with most shit Nintendo comes up with but this is beyond any explanation even for the most defensive fanboys. Iwata can rightfully complain about the deterioration of the development effort in the eyes of most consumers, but you don't counter it by being ripping off your customers.

So no digital codes for europe (the clerk didn't know what I was talking about), but pre order bonuses are up on shelves:

Got one and the price will be 44,99€. In general they match the amazon price if you ask them which is 40,89€ at the moment or price them at 39,99€ on launch week anyway.

Also I laughed pretty hard at this:

It says: "By the way: All Nintendo 2D Games are playable on Nintendo 3DS (Rendered outstandingly brilliant in 2D)"

I guess they are addressing DS bc here lol. That's what I would call false advertisement...

Is it just the gold coin in the box?

Show us some pics of what it's like inside etc. :p

I don't want to open it, so I can cancel my pre order and get my 5€ back if they won't do a price match.
But yeah, it's just a golden coin. No idea how big it is though.

Edit: Wait, It is a coin case! Sorry, didn't bother to read anything on the box until now lol

Top Bottom