• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wonder why they hyped the 1 million coin part. It's not terribly exciting...

Well at least I see myself eventually hitting the one mil mark. Haven't even unlocked all the golden parts in MK7.

And I can't believe that gold coin
  1. Comes in a massive box
  2. Is an official product

Ragus

Banned
About those 3 secret worlds:

Do I have to meet any special conditions to play them? Like collecting 3 golden coins in 3DLand?

Chopper

Another EU ad.

Vp5p3.jpg

Sorry. What the fuck is this?

BnayY.jpg

ah its a pre-order bonus as well, cool. yeah its a strange pic alright.

actually the coin can open up, its perfect to stash some... uh... tealeaves in

Drago

About those 3 secret worlds:

Do I have to meet any special conditions to play them? Like collecting 3 golden coins in 3DLand?
Remember the cannons from NSMB and NSMBWii? Instead of taking you to a future world, they are now levels (dash levels) that take you to the special worlds. There are 4 of them, with 2 of them taking you to the same place.

The cannons are hidden levels as usual, but there are already video guides to tell you how to get to the worlds.

Jim Sterling made a video about how Mario is starting to feel stale.

I can't say I agree with everything he claims, but overall it's a pretty good summation of a festering problem that most of us recognize.

Not that I don't think some extra spice to the recent Mario platformers would be welcome, and I haven't played NSMB2 yet, but I think Mr. Sterling's arguments are pretty poor. He doesn't really substantiate anything he says, he just keeps saying "Mario is getting repetitive and relies on nostalgia" for eight minutes.

I mean, he goes on to praise Rayman Origins (which is fine by me, I love that game), but, besides the amazing art, the big pull of that game (for me) was the four player platforming co-op... which was established/popularized with New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Almost every Mario game has done something novel to justify its entry in the franchise, and I don't feel like the games are becoming a drag at all. They change just as much, if not moreso, between sequels as most any other popular industry franchise.

Rich!

Just got my copy (UK). Yay for connections.

Heh. Will post photos/impressions later on. Two levels in, its fun as hell.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Not that I don't think some extra spice to the recent Mario platformers would be welcome, and I haven't played NSMB2 yet, but I think Mr. Sterling's arguments are pretty poor. He doesn't really substantiate anything he says, he just keeps saying "Mario is getting repetitive and relies on nostalgia" for eight minutes.

I mean, he goes on to praise Rayman Origins (which is fine by me, I love that game), but, besides the amazing art, the big pull of that game (for me) was the four player platforming co-op... which was established/popularized with New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Almost every Mario game has done something novel to justify its entry in the franchise, and I don't feel like the games are becoming a drag at all. They change just as much, if not moreso, between sequels as most any other popular industry franchise.

There's a fair bit of hypocrisy among pundits in that Mario Galaxy 2 was so highly praised while being just as similar, within its own scale, to Mario Galaxy 1 as NSMB2 is to NSMB Wii.

Honestly, the cynicism train for NSMB2 was starting to reverse course until the Japanese release and the provisional revelation that the implied meta-game surrounding coin banking didn't seem to be in the game. To which the jury is still out on; excitement was growing over the concept once it clicked, and IMO it's still a great idea. However the worldwide 'competition' directly specified in Iwata Asks is nowhere to be seen.

I guess we'll see what happens over the next week.

daakusedo

I don't know but at world 4 and the mushroom one done, I think that the element that really get harder in this one are the secret flags, sometimes I was ready to go check online but then where the satisfaction?
To guessing the layout on the map to finding some secret blocks, I swear I got some good luck with invisible ones.

Also gonna love that red water reflect on underwater castle.

Didn't want to pre-order at first, but NewEgg had another 10 dollars off pre-order deal in the beginning of the month so I caved.

Looking forward to playing the game next week.

Fabrik

Banned
Is it normal I find the game hard? I die quite a lot trying to get the 3 medals.
Also, I think the 3DS buttons are a bit crap for this kind of game.

MarkusRJR

Is it normal I find the game hard? I die quite a lot trying to get the 3 medals.
Also, I think the 3DS buttons are a bit crap for this kind of game.
XL or normal 3DS? The original 3DS has the worst placed d-pad in any Nintendo hardware so that makes 2D games near unplayable in my opinion. Hopefully the XL is better.

branny

I'm not particularly the biggest fan of the NSMB series, but I played through both entries recently in anticipation for this one. Hopefully that excitement won't wash away the second I start controlling Mario (which is unfortunately what tends to happen whenever I play these games). Even if I'm kind of driven by morbid curiosity at this point, it should be interesting to see for myself if NSMB2 is genuinely underwhelming or not because my opinions tend to deviate from the majority when it comes to Mario titles.

Though I ultimately prefer NSMB Wii to NSMB, I'm of the mind that the original actually did a couple things better. NSMB Wii's level design is more complex and involving, but the simplicity of NSMB's stages, smaller resolution of the DS's screen, and being able to sidle on ledges quicker made the original feel like a breezier experience with the sensation of comparatively brisker movement, regardless if it's really faster. Little things like the placement of obstacles or gimmicks in quite a few stages also sometimes messed with the pacing in both games' levels, yet I feel like it happened more often in NSMB Wii. I still think triple-jumping is an iffy tradeoff for sloppier/slower physics-based movement and that the propeller power up was and always will be a shitty substitute for the raccoon suit and cape. I've never really had much use for the butt stomp, either; spin jump was nicer. Wall jumping is practically the only thing that gets a thumbs up from me. I'm really hoping I like NSMB2. =\

Peff

You know, despite my reservations playing the first few levels of a Mario game and wondering how the levels ahead will be or how the power ups will be used is still a pretty cool feeling. First world is really easy though, so I hope it ramps up. I had a laugh at the mention of the million coins reward in the backcover.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
How are Tesco usually for pre-orders? The cancel button was gone this morning, so they are processing it at least.

Well they sent out the 3DS so I got it the day before release except I was out so I had to wait for the next day thus missed out on a free tshirt that I would never wear I am not bitter.

However for Beat the Beat they took a whole week to get me my copy.

GAME has apparently shipped mine. Lets see if they leave a last good impression.

Well they sent out the 3DS so I got it the day before release except I was out so I had to wait for the next day thus missed out on a free tshirt that I would never wear I am not bitter.

However for Beat the Beat they took a whole week to get me my copy.

GAME has apparently shipped mine. Lets see if they leave a last good impression.

I've received a dispatch email from Tesco now, so lets see how long it takes.

Peff

That cannon dash stage was fun, if a bit too short. I'm starting to wonder how they'll handle DLC, because if they get right it could be great. Popping the game every now and then to find a bunch of new level packs sounds pretty good, especially if they divide them in challenge tiers and go insane with the hardest ones since you willingly have to pay for them.

PAL Copy GET!
I will crack into this shortly and deliver exciting analysis.

Edit: Okay people it's time for small tidbits that you are most likely dying to hear having just beaten the first tower stage...
- 3D is pretty awful, as opposed to making things look 3D it kind of just smudges up the background, coming off games like Mighty Switch Force I expect 2D in 3D goodness but no such luck, might as well conserve your battery power on this front.
- Tower music now also has a few "BAHS" in it, for me this is fine, for the rest of you your tower climbing experience just got that much more annoying
- On another musical note that anyone who looked up the new music will likely have noticed is that the raccoon tail adds a backing beat to the music in a similar manner to riding Yoshi in other Mario games.
- Shaking your 3DS will not give you the NSMBwii spin of awesome aerial boost unfortunately, then again I don't really want to shake this thing around.

Hey there's also BAHS in the castle and the athletic theme is absolutely BAHtastic.

World 1 down, spoiler marked impressions of the world itself...
In a not so shocking twist it's your typical opening Grass world and it has the same set of stage themes seen in the other NSMB world 1's like the second stage being underground and a basic water stage.
The stand out here was the stage behind a star coin sign, it's like a small pipe maze in an overworld, a bit messy looking but easily the most interesting design of the bunch with many coin collecting moments, the underused one way doors that first popped up in the Desert Pipe stage from the DS NSMB return and later the Castle brings back swinging chains/ropes which I think may have skipped NSMBwii.
Oh Roy how you have fallen, from 5th airship and 5th castle, to 2nd castle and now the opening act.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hey there's also BAHS in the castle and the athletic theme is absolutely BAHtastic
Seriously? What the hell? The series has consistently featured poor music (NSMB series) but it seems like they've really hit a new low.

Music is incredibly important for a platformer, I feel, so it's a shame they keep dropping the ball with this series.

Peff

Seriously? What the hell? The series has consistently featured poor music (NSMB series) but it seems like they've really hit a new low.

Music is incredibly important for a platformer, I feel, so it's a shame they keep dropping the ball with this series.

It's pretty bad, yeah. Especially the sped up versions for Coin Rush.

On the other hand, Castle levels look very nice with all those particles floating around.

Top Bottom