• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

weredog

Neo Member
So one of my favourite parts of NSMB DS was the separate mini games. Does this version have anything like them, or is it just the main adventure?

JoeInky

So one of my favourite parts of NSMB DS was the separate mini games. Does this version have anything like them, or is it just the main adventure?

The minigames are gone, but you now have the superior coin rush mode.

Speaking of minigames, what are the mushroom house minigames like now? Are there any on-map enemies like in NSMBWii?

Peff

There is only one mini-game, it's for the green Toad Houses. A lot of 1-UPs move around in a conveyor belt and you have to punch them with a boxing glove that moves. Power-up houses don't do anything special.

Also, no, no enemies or anything else in the map.

The minigames are gone, but you now have the superior coin rush mode.

Speaking of minigames, what are the mushroom house minigames like now? Are there any on-map enemies like in NSMBWii?

No on map enemies (YES!)
I've only been in one green mushroom house and I had to hit a moving boxing glove to strike moving mushrooms, yes that isn't that great a description. The red mushroom house just lobbed three items at me.

On an unrelated note, too many ghost houses, when will Nintendo learn that these stages sort of suck, that said the flower world ghost house was pretty good. They get better in each NSMB game but I could really do with like a maximum of like two ghost houses myself.
Obviously I speak for myself here, does anyone really enjoy ghost houses in 2D Mario? including SMW.

Having fun with the game, but dear god the 3D effect is a disappointment.. backgrounds simply become a blurry mess.

Oh, and I'm loving the reverse cover, going to miss the little things like this once digital becomes the norm.

JoeInky

On an unrelated note, too many ghost houses, when will Nintendo learn that these stages sort of suck, that said the flower world ghost house was pretty good. They get better in each NSMB game but I could really do with like a maximum of like two ghost houses myself.
Obviously I speak for myself here, does anyone really enjoy ghost houses in 2D Mario? including SMW.

I only like them when they're not some convoluted "loads of doors that lead to different rooms" shit, it's fine for secret exits but other wise it's just tedious.

Speaking of tedious, are there any levels with low visibility like in NSMBWii?

Oh, and I'm loving the reverse cover, going to miss the little things like this once digital becomes the norm.

I doubt physical media will ever truly go away in video games, even if a boxed copy just becomes the slightly higher priced "premium" version of the game.

Uh oh, I just realized that I had to get egg saver shipping for NSMB2 from Newegg; meaning, that it would take at least another week from launch to get here.

I only like them when they're not some convoluted "loads of doors that lead to different rooms" shit, it's fine for secret exits but other wise it's just tedious.

Speaking of tedious, are there any levels with low visibility like in NSMBWii?

Secret exits also means having to replay the stages which in ghost houses usually means the secret exit is in fact right near the actual exit, damn ghost houses.
And no i've yet to see any low visibility stages.

branny

I dislike them. To me, they are barely different than the annoying Super Mario 64 and onward "do this arbitrary thing to get a star" goals that I dislike compared to just getting to the end of a level.

I think Mario is at his best when he is speeding through stages, avoiding obstacles. Not walking around figuring out how to progress. That said, I guess they are okay as palate cleansers, especially if they introduce novel mechanics which actually does happen once in a while (the haunted stuff in NSMB was kinda cool).

I dislike them. To me, they are barely different than the annoying Super Mario 64 and onward "do this arbitrary thing to get a star" goals that I dislike compared to just getting to the end of a level.

I think Mario is at his best when he is speeding through stages, avoiding obstacles. Not walking around figuring out how to progress. That said, I guess they are okay once in a while as palate cleansers, especially if they introduce novel mechanics which actually does happen once in a while (the haunted stuff in NSMB was actually kinda cool).

I agree. However, I think its works great in the 3D Marios (especially Galaxy 1 and 2).

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
No minigames? Poor 3D effect? Short game length?

Hmm. Is this even an actual sequel to NSMB at all?

To be fair, a lot of the minigames from NSMB were rehashes of the SM64DS port, which turned me off quite a bit.
Besides, NSMB DS was definitely disappointingly easy. From what i've heard, the level design in this game is somewhat on par with the wii version (which was great) so it's already much better in my eyes.

Not going to lie people, the star world is pretty underwhelming, though the final stage had the damn superleaf pop up on me because of the third star coin.

branny

Urgh. You guys are making it really hard for me to keep my pre-order. I don't even like the NSMB series that much. Where on earth is all this blind faith of mine coming from...?

Foffy

Banned
Urgh. You guys are making it really hard for me to keep my pre-order. I don't even like the NSMB series that much. Where on earth is all this blind faith of mine coming from...?

The love of Mario. That faith rightfully wavers when talking about the NSMB series.

JoeInky

So is there any verdict on when we'll be getting the spotpass stuff for this game?

Thinking about it, I really hope it's not some sort of weekly notification on the notifications app or something, I don't think they would be that lazy even if it is a B-team using mostly premade assets to lighten the load.

daakusedo

Tell the guy who designed the pipes to upgrade the ones in nsmbu, I already saw it in footage but that's obvious now playing it, they have a subtle reflect on them and a more progressive light to shadow transition.
Serious business.

Argh somebody help me find the final coin in W1-A aka the level with all the pipes.
I've played that level about 20 times trying everything I can think of.
Just a hint will do :)

Okay so remember how in SMW when a stage had a secret exit it was a red dot instead of a yellow dot so you knew which stages to search for alt exits? WHY IS THIS FEATURE IT NOT IN THESE NSMB GAMES?!
I'm going back through Ghost Houses, GHOST HOUSES! and I don't even know if it's the right choice.

It's right before the flag.

Thanks a lot!
Man, that was so much simpler than what I'd ended up trying.
All done now though :)

Okay so remember how in SMW when a stage had a secret exit it was a red dot instead of a yellow dot so you knew which stages to search for alt exits? WHY IS THIS FEATURE IT NOT IN THESE NSMB GAMES?!
I'm going back through Ghost Houses, GHOST HOUSES! and I don't even know if it's the right choice.

World 2 by any chance? I'm struggling for the secret exit on that one, but based on the map it could be one of three stages. It's very stupid how there's no indication whatsoever!

branny

To think that your early impressions sparkled with the promise of possibility. Sucks to hear crap like this. :(

hmm, I guess I'l get 3DLand instead for now
I'm starting to feel like I should just replay that or SMW/SMB3 again and save myself the cash for Project DIVA or Dust or something.

World 2 by any chance? I'm struggling for the secret exit on that one, but based on the map it could be one of three stages. It's very stupid how there's no indication whatsoever!

That's the stage, i'm eyeing up that mushroom house nearby and trying to place pathways from the main path to it but I have had no luck.
The ghost house is mostly autoscrolling so there's not much to search for (on a side not I love that giant Boo)
The pyramid (2-4) stage has many little hidden sections as well, particularly the last star coin but nothing has led me to a secret exit.
I'm thinking 2-A might hold the key right now and a path cuts straight across from it to the mushroom house, i'm going in!

To think that your early impressions sparkled with the promise of possibility. Sucks to hear crap like this. :(
There's certainly some good in here, but as I said earlier the difficulty never quite steps up, even with the Mushroom, Flower and Star worlds it keeps an enjoyable yet easy pace, i'd say 3D Land did the same thing but it's the better game.
Then again here I am searching for the mystery of World 2's hidden stage, there could be more gold to unearth yet.

That's the stage, i'm eyeing up that mushroom house nearby and trying to place pathways from the main path to it but I have had no luck.
The ghost house is mostly autoscrolling so there's not much to search for (on a side not I love that giant Boo)
The pyramid (2-4) stage has many little hidden sections as well, particularly the last star coin but nothing has led me to a secret exit.
I'm thinking 2-A might hold the key right now and a path cuts straight across from it to the mushroom house, i'm going in!

Heh I'm glad it's not just me who's stumped on that one!
I've been all over the Ghost House plus 2-4 and 2-5.
Nothing!
2-A is good thinking though, gonna give it a go...

That's definitively in the ghost house.

... or maybe Ill try this one. Yet again. :)

I'm refusing to move on. I've just got World 3 unlocked and I have over 400 lives.
I am not moving on until I find this exit!

That's definitively in the ghost house.

After much anguish and searching, you are correct.
Really? an invisible beanstalk block in an almost random position, no coin indication or anything. For anyone searching for it it's in the scrolling section with the mega boo, after all 3 star coins I think but don't trust me on that. A platform slightly lower than the rest is the key, jump up from the leftmost side of it to hit a beanstalk block.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm just wondering, what if you change your UK region to some Euro currency one? Would it be legal?

Italian friend of mine told me it's 44,90 in italy, which would be approx 34 pounds...at that price, i could cave in and download

JoeInky

My copy should be getting delivered in about 10 hours, can't wait to play coin rush. Is anyone else going to be posting some scores to beat in lieu of the official leaderboard things? Or is noone else interested in the score attack part of the game?

branny

^It sounds like a decent substitute for what should've been integrated better. Once the game comes out for all regions, I don't see why we couldn't post our scores for favorite levels.

That reminds me, when should we expect DLC to start streaming in? A couple weeks from now? Does Japan have any yet?

polg

I'm so disappointed that Nintendo missed the point with the digital download :( I'd have bought it this morning if it had been the same price as retail. I hope that someone queries them about this.

mandiller

If I buy NSMB2 from the German eShop (I live in Australia) will the game be in English still because my system is set to English? Has anyone done this to confirm? I'm close to pulling the trigger and getting it digital since it works out cheaper.

JoeInky

If I buy NSMB2 from the German eShop (I live in Australia) will the game be in English still because my system is set to English? Has anyone done this to confirm? I'm close to pulling the trigger and getting it digital since it works out cheaper.

There isn't a launguage option in-game, but I'd imagine it was tied to your system language.

Top Bottom