• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 |OT| Coins!

Got it today. Played an hour and got to world 3. It's a Mario game. But I like the coin shit, kinda appeals to the xp whore in me. I like seeing that tally go up.

MicH

What! My Shopto copy wasn't dispatched until today (well, I got the shipment noticification at like 3 AM). Hopefully it arrives Friday.

Foshy

GameStop sold it early so I bought it now. I can return it until monday and get a full refund, reading some impressions I'll have the game completed by then.

Dammit. I sacrificed shopto awesomeness for that gold coin. And I have a day off today too!
Deep down you know that Gold coin isn't worth it.

What! My Shopto copy wasn't dispatched until today (well, I got the shipment noticification at like 3 AM). Hopefully it arrives Friday.

Sometimes it seems to depend on how early you plonk down a pre order, in any case you should have it tomorrow.

thomaser

Got the PAL version yesterday :) Only played the first level so far, and it's what I expected and wanted. Nothing like a new Super Mario! I like the way you can use the 3D slider to bring the background in or out of focus. Didn't know they could do something like that with it.

Chopper

Got the PAL version yesterday :) Only played the first level so far, and it's what I expected and wanted. Nothing like a new Super Mario! I like the way you can use the 3D slider to bring the background in or out of focus. Didn't know they could do something like that with it.
Check out the Excitebike 3D Classic. It will blow your mind.

Netto-kun

Reached world 3. So far, so fun. All the coins actually give me a reason to replay levels for even better coin scores. Too much BAHs in general though.

Did you freeze your 3DS?

And are you guys who are getting yours today pre-order anywhere in particular, or have you got the hook-ups?
Pre-ordered from an electronic retailer (Elkjøp, Norway), dispatched yesterday.

And it's actually a 3DS protection case, but now I can't unsee that block of ice.
laugh.gif

Man hope you guys have fun. Wont get this for awhile as Im saving my new nsmb experience for nsmbu. Will pick up eventually though. Would love to play with tanooki again in pure 2D.

LosDaddie

Banned
Damn. Great OP there.

I still need to finish SM3DL before buying this game. :( But with CEDIA coming up soon, maybe I can do that during my travels.

Jackano

Rushed to finish the game and being able to save anywhere (sad incentive, isn't it?).
Not many surprises but very good overall. I'm bad at getting coins. I have currently a grand total of 25,000 coins. I'm also bad at finding star coins and secret exits. I will be searching for the second canon in my next play. Oh, and I still hate the ghost houses!

Fabrik

Banned
Just finished World 6. Better than NSMB but that doesn't mean much. NSMBWii was better. The level design is ok nothing more nothing less. Nothing was surprising.
World 9 is totally lame
Now on to the 3 star coins collecting. This part should be more interesting.
I will sell that one as fast as possible.

branny

Deep down, I'm hoping those who aren't enjoying the game are just blasting through it without really noticing what I'm personally most interested in. It's foolish, but I am still holding on to the chance that the level designs shine brightest when trying to get as many coins as possible. Then again, NSMB2 may truly just be "bleh". :(

SMB3 is a little harder than SMW, but both games are relatively easy and simple, all things considered--it's the way you can interact with everything that makes them the most fun to me. It doesn't matter if I've beaten the levels over and over and have them memorized because the act of playing in them is where I derive my enjoyment. There are always opportunities to try things you've never tried before, goals to make the games more exciting for yourself due to a wealth of mechanics at your disposal (throwing, enemy head bop chaining, spin jumping, cape floating, multiple paths, item strategies, etc.). The worst thing a Mario game could do is snuff out that kind of nonlinearity with heavy-handed, suffocating design. It's one of the reasons why I still value Mario platformers over something like Super Meat Boy and why I think the introduction of those cannon dash stages in NSMB2 is kind of missing the point. The coin stuff, however, could be a way to recreate that sort of personal challenge if done correctly and is probably the reason why I'm actually bothering with NSMB2 in the first place.

Actually, now that I think about it, that "playful nonlinearity" is way more crucial than I thought. People love watching "green demon" runs in SM64 or seeing people like Siglemic bound off every surface like some acrobat. Even this warpless SMW TAS lacks the coldness of someone using tools to push a game to its limit. SMB3's greatness stems from its design both in and out of stages. And the original SMB has been the foundation for incredibly subversive hacks like しょぼんのアクション (that Cat game) which is the definition of linear yet still manages to be a hilarious conversation between developer and player rather than simply a series of rigid levels to overcome.

Music is incredibly important for a platformer, I feel, so it's a shame they keep dropping the ball with this series.
A lot of people don't notice how important it is. And not only for platformers, but for any game built to be revisited over and over. The slightest annoyance can be magnified by successive playthroughs, so even if music is technically a bit more auxiliary than obnoxious game mechanics or stages, it's still vital to get right.

When music is great, a good game becomes that much better. For example, while I think it's a superb platformer on its own, I'm sure a lot of my love for DKC2 also stems from its beautifully moody tunes.

daakusedo

With all these naughty rushers, I'm not sure I'll find an answer but is there some hidden tiny mushroom in castle from world 3.
In coin rush, it seems like a waste to miss the tiny pipe with a room full of blue coins, and I find this level low on coins, if not two invisible blocks giving a gold mushroom I recently found...

And that's World 2 down, before I delve into that I have to say something about this games level design.
It's strange in a way, you can tell that a much different team were on the case with this game, secrets are hidden more craftily, some levels tend to have a greater vertical element and not just because of the raccoon tail, levels seems more likely to build upwards as well as across.
In a way this is what I wanted from this iteration, that due to the new guys taking the reigns that perhaps stages would break further from the more standard design, stages can seem cluttered at times with the more open approach, almost like platforms are just all over the place but I like what i've played so far, of course it's still very much NSMB but there's just some touches that make it not feel too samey.
The backgrounds and general stage appearances tend to have a greater variety even if trapped within the same world themes.

Anyway World 2
A solid desert world, it doesn't make as much use of sand as NSMBwii (which had stages with erupting sand pillars and sandstorms) but that pyramid and desert structure angle seems more prominent. The athletic stage across the totem pole like platforms was pretty cool. The castle in particular was interesting, uses a platform that's similar to 3D Lands green moving platforms except not as cumbersome (they were my most disliked gimmicks in 3D Land).
And an earlier ghost house arrival than the previous NSMB games, scrolling stage done well, though I feel ashamed for being fooled by a certain completely non lethal trick first thing in the stage.
So I was wondering if Iggy would bring back his chomp and he does, Wendy next, the next world appears to be both the tropical and jungle/forest worlds combined, I hope the underwater stage design takes a step up because NSMB often blunders here.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I hope you like boring blocks rebranded as baby Yoshi and a cape redesigned into an animal suit for no good reason.

"Cape redesigned into an animal suit" ...

Please tell me you aren't talking about Raccoon Mario... please.

(Readies POW block.)

Jackano

Just finished World 6. Better than NSMB but that doesn't mean much. NSMBWii was better. The level design is ok nothing more nothing less. Nothing was surprising.
Now on to the 3 star coins collecting. This part should be more interesting.
I will sell that one as fast as possible.

Exactly the same here!
But surprisingly, it's a good game to hype for NSMBU. I think it will be the true great Mario game of the year.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
storafötter;41067208 said:
It is an improvement from the stupid propeller waggle.

To be fair, the Propeller Suit/Helmet was probably a far better "flight" item for a 4 player single screen game than any "true flight" item would have been. One super jump + float is easier for keeping players together (without frustration) than limiting your flight to the boxy playfield.

disco

Okay, so I thought I would Youtube 'Super Mario World' and to my surprise, it's not the game I thought it was! I thought Super Mario Advance 1. that I played when I was 11 was it. I always wondered why people wanted grabbing turnips, walking Shy Guys and Birdo so badly. Didn't think it was that inventive/or a great departure. Anyways, SMW - wow! So many creative mechanics! If they mixed that with some of the 2D gameplay from Galaxy and made New Super Mario Galaxy World I would be so hyped.

Regarding NSMB2 - I'm waiting for Amazon to email me the departure notice in the next 12 hours or so. :3 Can't wait!

I already see the disapointment coming with nsmbu for people thinking this one is nothing special.

That's what people said about 3D Land before launch and look how that turned out!

Socreges

Banned
Okay, so I thought I would Youtube 'Super Mario World' and to my surprise, it's not the game I thought it was! I thought Super Mario Advance 1. that I played when I was 11 was it. I always wondered why people wanted grabbing turnips, walking Shy Guys and Birdo so badly. Didn't think it was that inventive/or a great departure. Anyways, SMW - wow! So many creative mechanics! If they mixed that with some of the 2D gameplay from Galaxy and made New Super Mario Galaxy World I would be so hyped.
Wait... you've never played SMW? Fix that.

Jarsonot

So uh, whaddya think the chances are for Nintendo (once they implement an account system) will allow your downloads on at least 2 different devices?

For instance, I can enable my wife to download my purchases on iOS, enabling us to play multiplayer with only one purchase.

It'd be awesome if Nintendo did this, and is the reason I'm holding on to my original 3DS when I get the XL. I hoping I'll be able to download, say, NSMB2, on both systems and multiplayer 3DS games will actually mean something for me.

Sidenote: if Nintendo expects me to pay for two separate copies in order to make this happen, fuck that. And I'm not buying anymore VC until I find out if I'll be able to use it on BOTH 3DS and Wii U when account system is in place. Wanna see how greedy they get =)

Santiako

So uh, whaddya think the chances are for Nintendo (once they implement an account system) will allow your downloads on at least 2 different devices?
Between 0 and 3%

If Nintendo expects me to pay for two separate copies in order to make this happen, fuck that. And I'm not buying anymore VC until I find out if I'll be able to use it on BOTH 3DS and Wii U when account system is in place. Wanna see how greedy they get =)

That won't happen either.

For instance, I can enable my wife to download my purchases on iOS, enabling us to play multiplayer with only one purchase.

It'd be awesome if Nintendo did this, and is the reason I'm holding on to my original 3DS when I get the XL. I hoping I'll be able to download, say, NSMB2, on both systems and multiplayer 3DS games will actually mean something for me.

Sidenote: if Nintendo expects me to pay for two separate copies in order to make this happen, fuck that. And I'm not buying anymore VC until I find out if I'll be able to use it on BOTH 3DS and Wii U when account system is in place. Wanna see how greedy they get =)

1412095-fenree.gif

Pengew

Is everything you download from the shop still only tied to your 3DS? I really want to download it but hate that i wont be able to re-download it if i need to.

Top Bottom