• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tekken 5 video footage! Throw Escapes, Parries, New Moves, Combos, and more!

SaitoH

Real throw escapes, juggle combos and proper rings. I must say, I'm actually quite interested in this game.

Those videos were showing off juggle combos ... does that mean they've done away with 10 hits and are concentrating more on a proper combo system?

Ferrio

Banned
SaitoH said:
Those videos were showing off juggle combos ... does that mean they've done away with 10 hits and are concentrating more on a proper combo system?

What? haha. You act like combos like that were never performed in tekken before. Shit no one uses 10 hit combos, and I'm sure they're still in there.

SaitoH

What Sp0rks said.

I played Tekken 2 the most, with each successive sequel being less and less interesting to me. Tekken needs to change, IMO. Hopefully this one will renew my interest.

Ps. The simple fact that no one uses them at mid-high level play is a testament to their uselessness. You still have to learn how to block them, simply because someone will use them. So why have them?

SaitoH said:
What Sp0rks said.

I played Tekken 2 the most, with each successive sequel being less and less interesting to me. Tekken needs to change, IMO. Hopefully this one will renew my interest.

Ps. The simple fact that no one uses them at mid-high level play is a testament to their uselessness. You still have to learn how to block them, simply because someone will use them. So why have them?
yeah, you do have to know them... especially after that time when will bang was heavily favored to win a tekken 3 tourney, but lost to tenstrings... whatever happened to that guy?

Two more video clips up now!

shows off more stuff, including more Raven footage, King's "Jaguar" Step, Asuka's Launching Throw and more Throw Escapes...

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Tell me Tekken fans, I haven't touched Tekken Tag or Tekken 4 at all because of lack of interest. Will Tekken 5 be the game to bring back the mainstream into the Tekken fold or is it going to be "more of the same"?

Bowser

I hated playing Tekken 4 because my friend would always pick Steve and just mash the buttons over and over and over and over and over, jab after jab after jab after jab...it was sickening.

Tabris

Yeah, seriousely, what was so broken about Tekken 4?

It was almost the exact same as Tekken 3, except prettier graphics, bad characters added and annoying levels (elevation and walls) ...but for Paul, Brian Fury, Heihachi, Xiang, Law, etc, not much changed. Jin got a complete re-work, but I enjoyed his re-work.

Anyways, what's broken about it? Except the levels, nothing really changed much. Timing on moves, some added moves, Jin, etc, but that's about it.

So complain about the fact that Tekken 4 is basically 3, but broken?

DrDogg

The Faceless Master said:
Retarded Wall Infinites
Position Change
Hit Levels
Throws
Jin

(in order of which has the most letters)

Position Change and Throws were not broken.

Also, ten-hits do have a purpose in high level play. I know of several high level players (including myself), who will use the first part of a ten string. If you stop on the right hit, you'll have a good amount of frame advantage for interesting setups. They were also very useful against the wall, and this includes the entire 10-hit string.

I got rocked by a stellar backturned wall setup from a Law player who busted out a ten-hit to end the setup. So the entire 10-hit was guaranteed, plus wall damage. Just nasty.

DrDogg said:
Position Change and Throws were not broken.

Also, ten-hits do have a purpose in high level play. I know of several high level players (including myself), who will use the first part of a ten string. If you stop on the right hit, you'll have a good amount of frame advantage for interesting setups. They were also very useful against the wall, and this includes the entire 10-hit string.

I got rocked by a stellar backturned wall setup from a Law player who busted out a ten-hit to end the setup. So the entire 10-hit was guaranteed, plus wall damage. Just nasty.
throws and position change being broken sort of goes hand in hand... position change was useless unless near a wall, so of course, people uso throws every time when not near one since there was no real mixup value of doing a position change... problem is 99% (slight exaggeration, but you get the idea) of throws had a 2 escape... and then near walls, the position change had some wide open assrape situations with some characters, essentuially making dumb to go for a throw instead, though of course, since throws still did damage, at least there was mixup value, but you get the idea...

DrDogg

It's System 256, not System 258. An article was mistranslated which led to the System 258 speak.

Faceless... I don't see how the throw game is broken if it's just not useful until you're near a wall. Broken would mean game-breaked abusable technique, not ineffective technique. But most characters had a 1 or 1+2 break throw, so the mixup game was still intact, just to a lesser extent.

In addition, not all characters had guaranteed "good" damage near the wall. Paul and Yoshi were about the only two. Everyone else just had a good mixup game, where you lose a lot of health if you guess wrong. I also don't consider this broken, since even with Paul having one of the best wall games, he wasn't considered top tier.

That said, I like what they're doing with walls in T5 much better. You'll have to use throws (not position change) and other techniques to gain the upper hand near the wall and get to the side you want to be on. Then you'll have to use certain attacks to get the wall stun you want and follow it up for some good damage.

White Man... Oct/Nov release in the US. However, Namco is shipping empty cabinets in September. So if your arcade doesn't have the empty T5 cabinet by the end of Sept you need to ask if they're getting it. Supposedly T5 isn't shipping to arcades that don't have the special cabinet.

Top Bottom