• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Trends you actually dig in gaming

Banjo64

cumsessed
Moving towards mobile.

dog middle finger GIF by Team Coco

Switch 2, Deck 2, mobile.

Guilty_AI

>The forgoing of graphical fidelity for the sake of more stylized visuals. The latter runs better, plays better, ages better and doesn't needlessly increases budget which leads to mainstreamfication.

>Digital distribution. This gives people all over the world access to all sorts of games they would never have heard about otherwise, or that just wouldn't have seen the light of day due to logistical constraints. Most of the fear mongering around this is just people conflating digital with DRM anyway.

>AI. People fear this will turn devs lazier, but the truth is the lazy devs already do a crappy job either way. Any tool that gives more development power to smaller teams is a pro in my book.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
They age much better and looks more interesting in my opinion.

I've always been a huge fan of celshading ever since Jet Set Radio and Windwaker

Even without the HD Remaster, Windwaker still looks amazing

I'm happy more Japanese Developers are going this route since the style tend to look great on any Console/PC regardless of specs

Ni No Kuni and Ni No Kuni 2 are good examples

The Xenoblade games especially too

SHA

So my miserly ass is negative always. Let me turn this around.

What some positive trends in the ye olde year of 2024 that you actually like and want to see more of?

Now, this could be a specific game mechanic, a narrative direction, a business tactic, etc, etc.

Bonus round: Why do you like it?
We just saw metal gear sold copycat, it's actually a metal gear solid game, I want more of this, devs who could capture the good old games as if they're us from our own eyes, since even perfect modern games pull a lot of stuff for visual fidelity and drawing more triangles for the sake of doing it, I don't understand tech as they do but I could tell modern tech has failed our own interests, what's the point of drawing more triangles if the sacrifices you made is making a lesser game and more of a movie shooted with a 360 camera, tech shouldn't walk that route where you wouldn't dare to imagine the next Wipeout, crazy taxi, sonic the hedgehog...etc, you get the point.

Last edited:

amigastar

I've always been a huge fan of celshading ever since Jet Set Radio and Windwaker

Even without the HD Remaster, Windwaker still looks amazing

I'm happy more Japanese Developers are going this route since the style tend to look great on any Console/PC regardless of specs

Ni No Kuni and Ni No Kuni 2 are good examples

The Xenoblade games especially too
Yes, Windwaker still looks awesome. But the Gamecube had many game which still look good today (F-Zero GX, REmaster, Mario Sunshine, Resident Evil 4,)

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I love all the new hardware coming out for retro gaming. We now have cheap $40 handhelds that can emulate up to N64, we’ve got FPGAs that can output RGB analog with perfect emulation, we’ve got upscalers that add zero latency and go up to 4K with a plethora of filters and options…

Us retro kings have been eating real good for the last few years.

- The idea of console exclusive games sloooowly becoming a thing of the past, and I hope it dies as soon as possible.
If I like a game, I want literally everyone to play it. I don't give a single fuck about anything else.

- Crossplay.

- And Portables. The 3DS being my favorite console ever, seeing that style of play becoming more of a consideration after the Switch and the Steam Deck, to the point where Sony supposedly are considering making a Portable PS4, makes me REALLY happy.

I'm holding myself, because there's a laundry list of things happening in gaming that I despise, and they aren't going away anytime soon (Remakes/Remasters, xenophobia of Japanese artists and developers through localization, so on, so on).

But I did my best to point out three things I'm happy with.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Yes, Windwaker still looks awesome. But the Gamecube had many game which still look good today (F-Zero GX, REmaster, Mario Sunshine, Resident Evil 4,)

Well that's more the artstyle

Look at the HD Remaster of Resident Evil Remake. Makes the game look even more beautiful

The PS2 is still my GOAT but I feel like GameCube is the last time I was impressed with the way Consoles worked. Like that much power in a small box. It was more powerful than the PS2 but less powerful than the XBOX

I'm hoping that the trend of using prerendered backgrounds become a thing. Some of the prerendered stuff that came out later on in the PS1 Era became pretty advanced

ReBurn

Gold Member
I like how indies are keeping the spirit of gaming alive in a time when the corpos have drained almost all of the soul out of it.

HL3.exe

>AI. People fear this will turn devs lazier, but the truth is the lazy devs already do a crappy job either way. Any tool that gives more development power to smaller teams is a pro in my book.
There is no such thing as 'lazy devs', it's stupid retoric and makes ya sound like a r*tarded sheep that blindly repeats talking point from some dumbass YouTuber.

Projects that have problems are because of all sorts of factors, but it usually comes down to scope creep, time managment or budget issues.

killatopak

Gold Member
Definitely variety.

Specifically indies. Not just on steam but also on other platforms like itch and such.

There's so many hidden gems. The only downside is I have to wade through tons of shit to get to the good ones.

Metnut

Good voice acting and realistic looking cut scenes are cool. I’ve always pivoted towards games with good stories and today’s games are better than ever in that regard. Cyberpunk, Baldur’s Gate 3, Yakuza, Plague’s Tale, God of War, Last of Us, FF7 Rebirth (yes it’s a remake of an old game).

The games have taken a huge step forward with how stories are presented.

Guilty_AI

There is no such thing as 'lazy devs', it's stupid retoric and makes ya sound like a r*tarded sheep that blindly repeats talking point from some dumbass YouTuber.

Projects that have problems are because of all sorts of factors, but it usually comes down to scope creep, time managment or budget issues.
Yeah yeah whatever, point is AI won't turn a good developer bad and will be really misused by already bad devs.

it's stupid retoric and makes ya sound like a r*tarded sheep that blindly repeats talking point from some dumbass YouTuber.
And who hurt you?

Last edited:

nkarafo

I honestly can't think of anything official wise.

Homebrew wise though we have better and more accurate emulators, decompilations/recompilations being a thing and a lot more effort in preservation in general.

Robb

Gold Member
The concept of a hybrid console like Switch has been fantastic.

I also really like the push for remakes that are practically new games, like RE/Final Fantasy 7 etc.

Last edited:
Retro games being so popular and the industry bringing us ports, remasters and remakes as a result.

I missed out on many games from the dreamcast, gamecube, 3ds, wii/wii u, arcades, neo geo, Saturn etc that have not been brought to modern consoles.

My only gripe is how greedy publishers have become with the pricing of said games. Nintendo is the worst, charging 60 bucks for a game like Luigis Mansion 2. It's not just them though ..look at how retro collections that used to be $30 for 25 games are now split into 3-5 game collections for $40! It's insane.

There are so many more negative trends in this industry unfortunately.

lachesis

Well, I am in love/hate relationship with current ubiquity of the market.
I am old fashioned, so I want my purchases to be unique and exclusive on the hardware level, as well as software level - but it seems like in coming years, all will just be on a damn phone.

Top Bottom