• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Trends you actually dig in gaming

Killjoy-NL

Sony putting more effort into Gaas.

I miss some of the multiplayer games Sony once had going, like Killzone and Socom.

Just get me 2 or 3 Gaas titles that I can put into rotation to keep me busy in between flagship titles releases.

Edit:

Actually, Gaas in general, for the reason mentioned above.

Last edited:

Hudo

Sony putting their shit on PC
Steam Deck and a general effort of making Linux a viable gaming platform

...that's about it. Most trends are fucking shit.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Gaming is like my favorite hobby so I try not to buy into the doom and gloom that spreads on the internet.
Im still generally very happy with the gaming landscape regardless of what Gamespots Spot On has to say about it.
I actually dont like seeing games fail......except whatever Haven Studios is making........derivative drivel needs to die so people stop chasing trends.

• Atelier games being popular.
  • Gamepass and other sub services......I got through college gaming thanks to Blockbusters, now I just pay the yearly sub and get a bunch of games many I might have missed.
  • Indie/Smaller titles making a comeback and being easily accessible/visible.
  • Brown filters dying.
  • To add to that point.......more color in games, in my youth games were always quite vibrant, then they kinda all muted out, good to see more games with color.
  • Upscaling techniques..........probably my favorite advancement in a while.
  • Low end CPUs are still very capable (12400 user here).
  • PC ports......PC ports everywhere, this is the first gen I havent day one'd a nextgen console because i figured my PC was more than enough to enjoy most of the meta, with Sony joining the party..........man.
  • Universal-ish controller support.......remember in the old days there were so many different controllers you never knew if it was gonna work with game x or not. Now you are pretty much guaranteed your controller will work with most games.
  • Real Time Global Illumination, whatever technique they are using to get it im loving that more games have it, when I first started offline rendering seeing games not have good lighting always miffed me.
sharc-on-without-ui.jpg

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Digital game stores (on the switch) sometimes I can get a decent game for cheaper than retail. Allowing me to bring a loaded switch on my long journeys etc.

But I do love physical media

Indie games help to offer a lot of choice.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
  • More games have accessibility settings, allowing for disabled and less proficient players to enjoy the games we all love so much.
  • The resurgence of handheld. Devices like Steam Deck have been absolutely amazing!
  • The focus on resolution reconstruction techniques, instead of brute-forcing everything, is fantastic and will be a game-changer.

Fess

Gaming is like my favorite hobby so I try not to buy into the doom and gloom that spreads on the internet.
Im still generally very happy with the gaming landscape regardless of what Gamespots Spot On has to say about it.
I actually dont like seeing games fail......except whatever Haven Studios is making........derivative drivel needs to die so people stop chasing trends.

• Atelier games being popular.
  • Gamepass and other sub services......I got through college gaming thanks to Blockbusters, now I just pay the yearly sub and get a bunch of games many I might have missed.
  • Indie/Smaller titles making a comeback and being easily accessible/visible.
  • Brown filters dying.
  • To add to that point.......more color in games, in my youth games were always quite vibrant, then they kinda all muted out, good to see more games with color.
  • Upscaling techniques..........probably my favorite advancement in a while.
  • Low end CPUs are still very capable (12400 user here).
  • PC ports......PC ports everywhere, this is the first gen I havent day one'd a nextgen console because i figured my PC was more than enough to enjoy most of the meta, with Sony joining the party..........man.
  • Universal-ish controller support.......remember in the old days there were so many different controllers you never knew if it was gonna work with game x or not. Now you are pretty much guaranteed your controller will work with most games.
  • Real Time Global Illumination, whatever technique they are using to get it im loving that more games have it, when I first started offline rendering seeing games not have good lighting always miffed me.
sharc-on-without-ui.jpg
Best post I’ve seen here in awhile. There is far too much negativity right now. In general we’re in a good era now with access to more games than ever for very little money but we often find reasons to complain and disagree like never before.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
+ Accessibility options.
+ Bigger asses in asian games, which in decades past would only focus on breasts.
+ Faster loading across the board. It is extremely rare these days that I see a review bring up bad load times.
+ The modern Fortnite-esque season pass model is overall more pro-consumer than 2010s-era dlc practices.

Laptop1991

In 2024 i'm getting a new PC finally after years of just up grading the GPU's and SSD's, and the Fallout London total conversion mod that is basically a new Fallout game that Bethesda don't want to make and give us, other than that i've got nowt lol.

Fbh

- 60 fps, at least as an option, becoming a normal feature in the vast majority of console games
- Japan finally embracing PC
- More Korean devs taking a shot at proper single player games like Stellar Blade and Lies of P instead of only focusing on mobile and MMO's

DrFigs

I like that we moved away from microtransactions blocking access to characters and maps in games and that, for the most part things can be earned by just playing them.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
"True" freedom in games like BOTW and Elden Ring. BOTW especially where you can literally go directly from tutorial to final boss if you want, but also ER where like <10% of bosses are mandatory.

Not just a big open world that still needs to be completed in a relatively specific order.

Moochi

The pushback against ugly characters in games by foreign devs. I want to see beautiful human beings with faces and bodies that are aspirational, not depictions of modern frumpy office workers.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
The pushback against ugly characters in games by foreign devs. I want to see beautiful human beings with faces and bodies that are aspirational, not depictions of modern frumpy office workers.

It's interesting and funny when guys see men who take care of themselves have muscles etc, that's considered inspirational and want to be like that. When it comes to women though, I noticed whenever they see a female character that is fit and has an attractive face, they instantly get jealous. Instead of working on themselves, they want to try to ban what Straight men find attractive

Gunstar75

Neo Member
Pro consoles, I hate that the console generations can last 8 years. I could not imagine playing the base PS4 to the end of the generation, unstable framerates and poor image quality. I personally like splitting the generation with a Pro version, it keeps things fresh. Before someone says just get a PC then, I mainly play online games and I can't stand dealing with cheaters and hackers. Plus I enjoy the plug and play of console gaming, i have no desire to deal with optimizing games to get them to run perfectly.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The embracing of larger open world design.

The ascension of GAAS.

The tears of the ideologues.

Not necessarily in that order.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
More games going away from L3 being the run button and instead mapping it to a shoulder button or circle.

Loving that.

Also, not many doing it yet, but I hope the norm for battle passes will be that they do the halo infinite style. Buy it, and own the pass to unlock whenever. So it isn’t Fomo.

Zannegan

The rise of indie games/the return of small studios. Granrwd, most of the games are mediocre to poor (but then, so is most AAA), but smaller teams with lower overhead need smaller returns, so they take risks and put out games in genres I like that don't get as much attention from AAA studios, and for good reason.

There might be a glut of mediocre metroidvanias out there, but I get to play 1-2 truly excellent additions to the genre each year, which I love. Bring on Silksong.

EDIT: toned down hyperbole

Last edited:

sigmaZ

-Save anywhere even in Japanese games (not checkpointing). It made sense not to have this when games were shorter and there were fewer games in general. Now, it just feels like time gating.
-Smoother UI and more standard controls. (There's still some issues on the control front)
-HD2D and remakes of classic with QoL updates.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
long list

- Indie games. Just as a whole. People here really don't know but, but outside of GAF and on the internet especially Indies are some of the most popular games as a whole
Terraria for instance. That game was just reported as selling 58 million copies. This means it's sold better than God of War Ragnarok, Spiderman 2, Cyberpunk 2077, Tears of the Kingdom and Elden Ring. It's one of the most popular games on the internet, but in GAF nobody... well, GAF.
This little segment of games is ridiculously popular and I love it. I'm so glad that they're finally getting the mass mainstream attention they deserve

- Digital Distribution. Ignoring the whole DRM aspect of it, it's pretty convenient and really easy to play games once you have purchased them.

- Emulation and retro game preservation has been hitting its stride over the past couple of years. from better CRT shaders, improved accuracy on more systems, 7th gen emulation starting to get to a usable and recommended state, and others. HD Mode 7 for example is one of the best things to happen to SNES emulation.

Remember Super Mario Kart and F-Zero? Those games using that mode 7 background display technique to create rotating and scaling psuedo 3D areas? That's now in HD, you can scale it up from any resolution and it's shockingly impressive and clean to look at! It's been this way for 4 years too, the emulator (BSNES-HD) has been out for a long while now. You need a great PC to run it though, as it's CPU heavy

Not to mention PS3 emulation as a whole. Games like Metal Gear Solid 4 and Uncharted 2 are finally breaking out of their PS3 prisons to end up on PC, and it's a great thing to see honestly.

Finally, the talk about decomps. Ever since that Mario 64 decompilation in 2019, old games from all around have been receiving efforts to get their game's source code decompiled.
People love this because it's a great way to get their stuff on PC, but it's also useful just because you can look inside and see how these games tick. Like for instance, there's nothing stopping you from making a 3D platformer with movement shockingly similar to Mario 64- since the game's code is just OUT there now, you can do it. I think stuff like this is also a reason we've been seeing a massive uptick in indie 3D platformers recently, but that's for another time.
Now, with the recompilation tool announced for N64, we can get native PC versions of old console games even faster!

- Platform agnosticism. Nintendo aside, more video games have been showing up on more platforms period... Mostly on PC, but in general, more games have been coming to more systems. Used to be 20 years ago that if you wanted to play most of everything you needed a PS2. Now, you can play anywhere and get virtually 90% of what you want to play. Excluding Xbox, of course (RIP adamsapple adamsapple )

- the handheld boom post 2020.
This is not just me talking about the Steam Deck.

This is me talking about in general.

Options for Non-Nintendo handhelds have spiked even with the rise of mobile phones. Emulation on android has become far easier (and even for Iphone too due to the brand new rule letting more apps on the app store) so you can just play more games.
Windows powered PC handhelds have been hitting their stride too as the Deck brought new eyes on the market and now it's frankly oversaturated with a wide depth of options. I'm worried the bubble might burst in a couple of years, but until then there's a PC handheld out there just for you, whether you like them SteamOS flavored, Clamshell flavored, with a keyboard, or with a 10 inch screen.

I have more, but I am done.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I dont know if this considered "trend" but this year we got crazy amount of quality JRPGs back to back and still coming.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
oh yeah cheaper direct drive wheels for racing games too that's a big plus

A cammus C5 can be bought for the same price as a Logitech G29... (250-300 dollars) you have 0 need to buy the old ass latter these days.

and if you're not fine with the design of that wheel, you can purchase a Moza R5 for 400 bucks, and get performance that you'll be fine with for years

spend a bit more to get a decent shifter and pedals and congratulations you have a setup that in 2013 would probably have cost you thousands of dollars. Technological improvement is nice ain't it

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
good rpgs are not a trend, they're a rule
Sure, you dont often see so many quality JRPG releasing back to back.....it started from Jan/Feb this year and still hasn't stopped.

Atlus is especially in high gear this year.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Boomer shooters - even if some of them are trash there are still plenty of cool games to choose from.

Performance & quality modes so that everyone can choose what they want. If only it was better optimized in some games and choosing 'performance' didn't mean having a dogshit resolution or super low quality environment.

Top Bottom