• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New UbiSoft GBA videos (Guardian Heroes + Star Wars)

aoi tsuki

Is it just me, or does that big pot ad when entering IGN make anyone else wanna toke up? It's been ten years, but still. Make it stop guys.

I loved the first Guardian Heroes, so I have to admit, this new one looks a bit disappointing. I guess it's foolish to expect it look like the Saturn original, but there's something else which just seems... "missing".

jenov4

For a moment there, I thought Ubisoft was planning on releasing GBA Videos (You know those FMV Carts) of Guardian Heroes and Star Wars!

darscot

Animation looks good in StarWars but the art style looks like crap. Liek others have mentioned SNES version all the way.

The other game does nothing for me.

Teddman

Guardian Heroes looks like a solid beat'em up, but it's lost a bit of the trademark flavor of the original. No multiplane combat, and the sprites just don't "pop" against the parallax backgrounds like they did in the original. Slows down and stutters frequently.

Also, the color looks really washed out, though it's slightly better in the screenshots IGN has.

Oh well, can't expect the GBA to match the Saturn. At least they kept 2P co-op in there!

human5892

Queen of Denmark
aoi tsuki said:
Is it just me, or does that big pot ad when entering IGN make anyone else wanna toke up? It's been ten years, but still. Make it stop guys.
Same here, and I haven't done it in at least three or four.

Plus it looks very odd at work when a big pot leaf comes spiraling around the screen. iGN should be marked as not work-safe.

Teddman

aoi tsuki said:
I think it's there to let you know that the reviews/previews were written under the influence. ;)

"Another wacky review from HighGN!" :D

I've got a build of this game, and it's not as bad as you all are thinking. Star Wars looks pretty impressive on the GB Player. The character models look like cel-shaded polygons, although I doubt they really are. Consequently, they look impressive in motion and not so good when still...and the characters with more dramatic animations look the best. Luke is not one of those, oddly enough.

The game is actually pretty fun. It plays sort of like the Super Star Wars games, but the pacing is much slower. It's very limited at first, but you gain a new move in each level, and eventually you get the lightsaber and can start to do all the crazy spins and such. I want to play more before I put up any coverage at PGC; check there in a day or two if you want more info. Should have some media too.

Mrbob

Yusaku said:
Wow, Guardian Heroes looks pretty icky.

Yup. Looks pretty bad. Makes me sad.

I realized my favorite aspect that increased with games during the Playstation era. Not the graphics but the music. OH my god the tunage in GHA makes my ears bleed in pain.

Oh well, can't expect the GBA to match the Saturn. At least they kept 2P co-op in there!

What video did you see that/ The only one I saw that hinted at two player co-op is the one with the magic chick who does that magic stuff by the sword. But that looked like a cpu character....

Agent X

I didn't know Ubisoft was making these games for the Commodore 64!

Wait, most Commodore 64 games had better sound than these games do.

Top Bottom