• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NewEgg is in the Process of thrusting painfully into my dry starfish

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like NewEgg and use them for anything that doesn't need to be rushed, but my opinion of them as slid quite a bit since they switched over to UPS. Somehow "three day guarantee" always turns into "five day ground and you'll like it" after my order has gone through. Oh, and internet and mail services need to be 7 days-a-week operations, imo.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Been through the same thing w/ them. Broken northbridge fan in a still sealed box.

I RMA'd it.

Two weeks later, I get it back...in the exact SAME CONDITION! So I just said '**** it' called up Chaintech and they overnighted me a new and improved northbridge fan/heatsink.

mrmyth

Juice said:
I've ordered from them twice. Both times went pretty well. But this isn't about how awesome TigerDirect is, this is about how much NEWEGG SUCKS

Holy ****, you are in Bizarro world. Tigerdirect.com is like the anti- NewEgg. Every time I tried to buy somethng from them I got so much of a runaround that I cancelled the order and just picked it up in their retail stores where I had to argue to receive the online price. And they still haven't fixed the neon in the sign at their Orland Park, Illinois store, so their name will always be igerd rect.com

fart

Savant
so what's wrong with ordering memory directly from micron?

they're probably sending out this 533 because it will run at 667. still, unless there's a substitution clause that's mail fraud.

Juice

fart said:
they're probably sending out this 533 because it will run at 667. still, unless there's a substitution claim that's mail fraud.

Eh? I got two boxes. One labeled 667 and one labeled 533.

I've never heard of a RAM module labeled to be designed to work at a certain speed RUNNING FASTER than spec'd. All I've ever heard is that a slower module will throttle down the speed of the chip it's paired with.

fart

Savant
DIMMs have a rom on them that give meta-information about the module. the difference between a "533mhz" module and a "667mhz" module is that the rom identifies the module as its respective speed. There's really no easily quantifiable difference the memory chips which make up the two modules. memory chips/modules are binned both by market requirements (since memory is a commodity market), and by monolithic testing devices. so, it's entirely possible that a memory module binned at a slower speed will run to manufacturer tolerances at a higher speed, as it could be identical, save for the rom and package labeling, to a stick binned at a higher speed modulo differences well within manufacturing tolerances.

the thing is, because the only control here is meta-info on the module, you can clock the module at whatever speed you want to. most commodity x86 mainboards allow you to set this clock frequency more or less arbitrarily. if this is not allowed, the behavior of a mainboard is to check the module roms and clock at the min of the modules, as you said.

in particular, the kingmax tinyBGA is actually very decent memory. the bga process makes for some pretty stable modules.

Juice

UGH

I just called, and between the 30 minutes of being on hold, I was able to talk to someone about it.

He contacted the warehouse, who remained adamant that the 533 chip sent was exactly the right item. Absolutely unbelievable.

So I said, "if it's all the same to them, why can't they just please a customer by switching it with one that happens to have an arbitrary "667" on the box?"

The guy laughed at me and said that they simply wouldn't exchange an already correct item.

So now I'm stuck with this: an $80 chargeback refund for the chip that I sent back and the opportunity to buy the same thing again by 5pm today with a free upgrade to overnight delivery.

I would just opt to not order the same damn stick again, except I'd hate to mix the brands.

Should I order it from NewEgg and play some crapshoot where some doofus picks a random module out of a box and ships it to me, or should I make an effort to find the exact same module from a different retailer (not much luck so far--ZipZoonFly, are they good? Ten bucks more..)?

fart

Savant
my suggestion would be to search the website for a substitution clause and take pictures of the item descriptions, your invoices, etc. then dispute the charge with your credit card company. you were not sent the item you bought, so you are not going to pay for it.

in the future don't screw around, just buy your memory from http://www.crucial.com/

mixing brands shouldn't be a huge issue. just match timing specs

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
yup, time to bring the Credit Card company in. Call them, say you have the order receipt and you did not receive the item you ordered. I mean, they're basically trying to commit fraud, which is illegal. I'm pretty shocked that they would do that, to be honest.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Get a refund. If I paid for something that's supposed to be identical, received it and realized it wasn't... There'd be nothing they could say or do to rectify the situation. Time wasted and overall inconvenience should account for something.

Juice

fart said:
my suggestion would be to search the website for a substitution clause and take pictures of the item descriptions, your invoices, etc. then dispute the charge with your credit card company. you were not sent the item you bought, so you are not going to pay for it.

in the future don't screw around, just buy your memory from http://www.crucial.com/

mixing brands shouldn't be a huge issue. just match timing specs

Nerevar said:
yup, time to bring the Credit Card company in. Call them, say you have the order receipt and you did not receive the item you ordered. I mean, they're basically trying to commit fraud, which is illegal. I'm pretty shocked that they would do that, to be honest.

Because no other retailers are offering the exact same stick at a reasonable price, I opted to accept the rush processing + overnight delivery offered by the service rep and do the refund + reorder method.

I pleaded with him in the reply giving him the new sales order number to put a memo or something asking that they double-check the packaging says "DDR2 667" on it. I'm less than hopeful.

If they get THIS wrong, then I'll definitely just be demanding a refund for both sticks.

I could see myself contacting the credit card company if they hadn't offered me a refund on the stick, but since they did I think I'm probably low on options. I shouldn't have caved and reordered, given all this mess, but it effectively starts the same process I've been fighting for them to initiate all along: just send me a new one. The only difference is the charge to and off my Visa.

After this is over, I'll just be content in not doing business there again.

fart

Savant
memory retailing and manufacturing are both extremely shady businesses. keep that in mind next time you try to save a couple of bucks on it.

Juice

fart said:
memory retailing and manufacturing are both extremely shady businesses. keep that in mind next time you try to save a couple of bucks on it.

*cue charlie brown theme*
sad_bluth.jpg

... yes sir :(

It's really weird that you and White Man have had such poor experiences. I've had nothing but good times from NewEgg. In fact, if I order by 5 PM with ground shipping, I'll receive it at work by 9 AM the next morning. It doesn't make any sense for me NOT to use NewEgg.

JRPereira

They've sent me the same dead motherboard (biostar m7ncd) back to me twice in rma's and charged me restocking fees.

I don't know what the percentage is of problem orders and orders that went through fine, but it only takes one bad one to piss me off.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Newegg has been a vegas game for a while now. Most of the time you can have a decent experience, but when things go wrong you get ****ed.

Oddly enough, for all the luck I've had with newegg, the luck I have with PC products has not been the same. :(

Juice

Tentatively Good News!

I just called Dbish and he says the re-ordered RAM stick came! This one is both 1GB and DDR2 667!

Glad that only took a month of my life away!

//has yet to go home and test the RAM
///is taking bets that it won't work, PM to enter a bid

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Juice said:
Tentatively Good News!

I just called Dbish and he says the re-ordered RAM stick came! This one is both 1GB and DDR2 667!

Glad that only took a month of my life away!

//has yet to go home and test the RAM
///is taking bets that it won't work, PM to enter a bid

:lol

May the Online Computer Parts Gods be with you

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Man, I really was not expecting a happy ending to this one. I'm glad that it worked out for you.

Also, that fart guy is smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom