• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen Content Delivery

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Couple random thoughts:

Games are too expensive. I haven't bought a game at full price in over a year, and my library is larger than ever before. I just grab them on sale. But no game IMO is worth 50 bucks.

Do you see game MSRPs dropping to the 30 bucks range? I think they have to.

Also, wouldn't games be a hell of a lot cheaper if they didn't have to package, ship and market them (the traditional way).

Going to EB and staring at walls full of crap w/ gems scattered here and there (if they're in stock and/or on display) is played out. I really hope Sony, M$ and Nintendo peep game and allow us to browse and download gaming content on the fly.

Will I be old and wrinkley before this happens? Obviously storage would be an obstacle, but there are several ways to take care of that.

Thoughts?

Packaging and shipping could perhaps be eliminated, but marketing would still be vital, now more than ever with all the competition.

Games also have much more value now than when Atari games cost about as much. Then there are always the early N64 games that often cost $80-100. I payed $80 for Mario Kart 64 and it was worth every penny.

DaCocoBrova

Marketing methods can change.

TV costs a grip! IMO, it's not all that effective either. If marketers knew our preferences, you could receive e-mails w/ exclusive links to footage, screens etc., for the games that you have an interest in.

It's a more personal approach. They're doing this to a degree anyway.

The fact of the matter is that costs need to go down because lil' devs are getting swallowed. Soon there will only be a handful...all things remaining constant.

Games also have much more value now than when Atari games cost about as much. Then there are always the early N64 games that often cost $80-100. I payed $80 for Mario Kart 64 and it was worth every penny.

ROM carts are waaay more expensive to produce, especially then. There's a reason all gaming media is optical now.

As long as storage requirements continue to go up while simultaneously outstripping bandwidth capacity, deliverable games will continue to be negligible in the console market. In the future, publishers will be more and more eager to support a Kiosk style method though.

Don't expect the $50 MSRP to drop anytime soon. Certain publishers will always try to undercut that mark, but far more often than not it comes back to haunt them.

DaCocoBrova

Exploits, mod chips, HDLoaders...

They can really fuck sh!t up in the long run. I've had a modded XBOX for close to 2 years now, and only in the last 6 months started to do the back up thing.

Instead of getting numerous games that are 'alright', many like myself would just get the games that were 'damn good'. That's like 2 or 3 games a month, if that depending on the hardware.

Not to mention how game prices plummet when no one bites the first couple weeks. For that reason alone, I no longer get games upon release. Makes no sense.

Top Bottom