• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

PocoJoe

Banned
I dunno. I think people are underestimating Phil's own words from just 3 days or so ago: "Our goal has always been to build the most powerful console we can, and i think we're there. We like leading in power and performance and i feel like we're going to be there again".

The fact that Xbox Xeries X needs a PC-like tower design to cool,i can't imagine PS5 being more powerful with out being even bigger and costing more.

This is not another Xbox One scenario where power was never the main goal.

Will be fun to see how this pans out.

XseX doesnt have pc-like tower, pc towers(most of them) are much deeper, this is just a "square".

Depends of the fan/heatsink setup in ps5, maybe it is like ps4pro but even fatter = similar volume as xboxxsxxxsxxx(fuck that stupid name)

Their New XBOX is exactly a little over 12TFlops RDNA 2.0!

Thank You.

This non necessary discussion over Xbox gpu tf is giving me headaches already. Enough of this.

They are not basing rdna architectures as their seilling point, they are taking pure TF number as It kinda represents the "bits" from older geberations. Why is It so hard to understsand ?

They Will Go more in deep into the gpus paritcularities, including ray tracing solutions when they think its ready.

the new xbox had to double as a serverblade..

wJQOlra.png

this pretty much confirms it.
That's interesting.

vpance

The fact that Xbox Xeries X needs a PC-like tower design to cool,i can't imagine PS5 being more powerful with out being even bigger and costing more.

As we know from the trash can Mac Pro, that kind of design with a single slow and quiet fan runs hot. It may not be the best cooling setup but it's probably the simplest MS could think of. Simple = safe. I don't think we should expect high clocks from XSX.

onQ123

Prospero and Anaconda GPUs are basically the same. Sony's cooling solution for PS5 will make the biggest difference here.

So you have the CU count & features of both of the GPUs?

If it's PS5 cooling solution & they share the same CU count that would make the power differences bigger than what people are hinting at.

Xbox SX with a normal clock rate would come in at around 56 CU to get 12TF so if PS5 have this same CU count but with a cooling solution that push the clock rate beyond the norm (Rumors put them at 2GHz - 2.1GHz) that would put PS5 at 14TF - 15TF

Guys just a question . Now that we have seen the series x form factor and we know the dimensions , was the e3 video of scarlett at e3 2019 real ? It looks too aide to fit in the series x . Maybe i m just misremebering

Thorrgal

Did any insider say anything about the Xbox surprise at game awards? If the answer is no, then there aren't any real insiders here. :messenger_relieved:

Not here, but Klee did say so over at Era, referencing a tweet of some guy that also advanced it.

We went into TGA knowing we would have some kind of info regarding Scarlett, although I reckoned it would be just a teaser and January date for the full reveal. We obviously got more than that

If it's PS5 cooling solution & they share the same CU count that would make the power differences bigger than what people are hinting at.

Xbox SX with a normal clock rate would come in at around 56 CU to get 12TF so if PS5 have this same CU count but with a cooling solution that push the clock rate beyond the norm (Rumors put them at 2GHz - 2.1GHz) that would put PS5 at 14TF - 15TF
1.8 vs 2.0 at 56 cu means 12.1 TF vs 13.2TF not 15 tf ( not that i believe these numbers as they sound too good to be true )

Not here, but Klee did say so over at Era, referencing a tweet of some guy that also advanced it.

We went into TGA knowing we would have some kind of info regarding Scarlett, although I reckoned it would be just a teaser and January date for the full reveal. We obviously got more than that
True i saw that . He replied haha to a tweet of someine saying is scarlett reveal happening .and before that he said something very very soon gonna happen about one of the two (the day before the award)
He definately has sources

Aceofspades

Banned

I think PS5 will have 52Cus (4 less Scarlett) but clocked @1.9Ghz resulting in 12.6TF machine. Compared to Scarlet with 56CUs @1.7Ghz and 12.2TF

I'm nonbeliever of 2.0Ghz clock , I think its too high.

Edit: Numbers above are my own speculation, I know jack sh*t

Last edited:
I think PS5 will have 52Cus (4 less Scarlett) but clocked @1.9Ghz resulting in 12.6TF machine. Compared to Scarlet with 56CUs @1.7Ghz and 12.2TF

I'm nonbeliever of 2.0Ghz clock , I think its too high.
Let put Gonzalo clock on it.
52cu @ 1.8Ghz = 11.98 / 12 Tf
I do agree 2.0Ghz is too much.

Thorrgal

True i saw that . He replied haha to a tweet of someine saying is scarlett reveal happening .and before that he said something very very soon gonna happen about one of the two (the day before the award)
He definately has sources

100%

He also confirmed a February reveal a bit later (Which is why fake insiders are running with the 13th of Feb now)

Take that with a grain of salt.

Just recieved a material that suggests that Sony could possibly be peaking something closer to 14tf than to 13tf.

Sony are nuts If they achieve that!!!
Yeah i cant even believe 12 tf navi at the monet so i m gonna pass on 14 tf navi .cerny can serve me a dish of crow though in feb and i will gladly eat it lol. Has cerny gone all kuturagi on us ?haha

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

LordOfChaos

As we know from the trash can Mac Pro, that kind of design with a single slow and quiet fan runs hot. It may not be the best cooling setup but it's probably the simplest MS could think of. Simple = safe. I don't think we should expect high clocks from XSX.

It's Apple, they prioritized fan silence to the point of endemic GPU failure. This includes heatsink design for minimal turbulence etc. The shape doesn't say much else about the commonality.

Funny how all these "insiders" preaching that the PS5 is more powerful showed up right after MS revealed their system, huh?
To be fair klee has been saying that since june and still stands by it . Its just a waiting game i guess to expose all the " insides" and reveal the true ones

DJ12

Funny how all these "insiders" preaching that the PS5 is more powerful showed up right after MS revealed their system, huh?
PS4 has had the advantage since they were released to the Devs if leakers and journalists are to be believed. Don't know why you are suggesting this is a recent thing.

onQ123

No it was funny how people thought that Xbox Scarlett was more powerful until rumors of PS5 devkits running at 13TF came out & the insiders went from Xbox most powerful to PS5 is more powerful.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Actually most reports were PS5>XbsX
To be fair klee has been saying that since june and still stands by it . Its just a waiting game i guess to expose all the " insides" and reveal the true ones
PS4 has had the advantage since they were released to the Devs if leakers and journalists are to be believed. Don't know why you are suggesting this is a recent thing.

I'm referring to the newly registered accounts who popped up in this thread after the reveal.

DJ12

I'm referring to the newly registered accounts who popped up in this thread after the reveal.
Well you didn't really make that clear. If they aren't insiders which I expect their not, they aren't really going to go against people with verified sources.

nowhat

Doesn't confirm anything. It's marketing speak, just like "ALLM" doesn't confirm negative input lag and "DLI" doesn't confirm ultra-extreme-variable latency input.

It's. Marketing. Speak. Microsoft loves that shit.
With Nadella as CEO, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a corporate mandate that every product must have "cloud" somewhere in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom