• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

xool

Few months ago Phil has said Scarlett will offer 4x more performance than xbox x. CPU will offer 4x more performance for sure but 12TF can also offer 4x boost in performance if we take into account architecture gains. 12TF RDNA should offer GCN Vega equivalent of around 15TF (maybe even more if RDNA2 will offer further gains), but VRS alone can boost performance by 75% as new 3dmark VRS tier2 test shows, so performance should be comparable to 25TF Vega then. So yes, I really think what Phil has said about 4x boost compared to xbox x is possible after all 😀👍.

Erm.. 2x GPU power plus RDNA +20% tops is 2.4x

I'm not sure about VRS but I wouldn't class "greasy screen edges" as a performance improvement

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Exact TDP "knee" in RDNA starts at 1700MHZ, so up until 1700MHZ its not really an option to go far below.

Other then that, I am sure 2nd gen RDNA chips in these consoles will be able to clock even further, therefore leaving alot of clocks on a table if someone goes extra wide.

Its no wonder Sony and MS clock their consoles extremely close. They now power sweet spot and they dont want extra big chips with lower clocks if its possible to go other way. It means yields will be bad, future revisons will be bigger then competiton and performance will scale worse then one with more clock per CU.

Its a bad deal.

Looking at this Polaris undervolt graph is it just a coincidence that the "knee" or sweet spot is almost exactly PS4 Pro's 911MHz GPU clock? (lower line).

Hdgkv0F.png

DJ12

Im not talking about that tho, like i previously said That chip that AMD made gonna go thru middle men and sell for 600$
Now that chip is gonna be on ps5 + blueray + ryzen + ssd + ram +++ etc and sell for the same price or less ?
Like Sony dont go thru the middle men and that console teleports directly from factory to your house.
Like I said your original argument was ms and Sony wouldn't put a chip in their consoles that AMD and their partners sell for 599.

You agree that it would cost ~$60 to fab.

Of course all the additional costs for will be factored in but i don't see how that changes anything.

Your argument is getting more and more ridiculous as you go on.

Ms and Sony can well afford putting a chip on their respective consoles that only costs them $60 per console.

Anyway trying to understand you is giving me a headache so let's agree to disagree.

I could be wrong but i think its A. B isn't too hot ?

That's what I am thinking as well. If RDNA 2 can go beyond the limits of GCN 64 Compute Unit limit, then it would it be better to add more compute units with lower frequency or lower the compute unit with higher frequency? I am not a game developer, I thought I would just throw this question out there for discussion.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Do people even realise what verified means? It only confirms one's identity, not that he/she has sources.

Your trying too hard. It means he has to show proof he might know what he's talking about. Whether or not its via him being an employee of some game Corp or showing something tht points to him being in the know. Hello its the reason the mods made those posts for him to verify himself.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
He’s verified! FUCK!!!!! How the fuck can MS make another WEAKER console???

Wait does his name say verified? What I miss???

If so redemption is soon coming. Funny how some of the arm chair know it alls have disappeared from This thread in the last few days. Those with their narratives of one not being more powerful than another or no way its over 8tflops, etc...

Last edited:

Did...did 'ya actually click on the checkmark? It read very tongue-in-cheek imho, doesn't tell us much anything. I figure a genuine verified checkmark would just say "verified" and leave it at that.

If those specs turn out to be final, the difference in power isn't near as much as it was in the PS4/X1 era. Relax - the X Series X is a monster.

TBF 13.3 TF does technically fall within the 10% threshold others were mentioning about last week or so. Still though, that's about an extra Xbox One (or maybe PS4 because of GCN vs. Navi architecture improvements) on PS5 over XSEX, I imagine some devs WILL find ways to exploit those extra resources in due time.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
chillax bro, MS can dial up the speed. also there isn't that much difference between 12 and 13 its only an 8% increase. its not like this gen that had a 40% difference. also ms has higher clocks for the cpu.

Lol 😂 😂 😂 😂 here you go goalposts moving. Boy I keep saying it some of you act like it's the end of the world if PS5 is stronger but you know what it'll probably be "we told you so" 😊

BTW I still see no verification. Where you guys see this at 🤔

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Exact TDP "knee" in RDNA starts at 1700MHZ, so up until 1700MHZ its not really an option to go far below.

Other then that, I am sure 2nd gen RDNA chips in these consoles will be able to clock even further, therefore leaving alot of clocks on a table if someone goes extra wide.

Its no wonder Sony and MS clock their consoles extremely close. They now power sweet spot and they dont want extra big chips with lower clocks if its possible to go other way. It means yields will be bad, future revisons will be bigger then competiton and performance will scale worse then one with more clock per CU.

Its a bad deal.
there are several issues with this post.

Sony and MS did not clock their mid gen consoles remotely close to each other. 911 vs 1172. MS was 28% faster with 10% more CUs.

Sony and MS have all gone wide and slow for the past four consoles. You are saying they now power sweet spot even though there is zero evidence pointing to this fact. In fact the massive console points to a pretty big chip. your predictions are using 36-40CUs which would be smaller than the pro. why the need for a massive console with fancy cooling then?

And you keep saying yields will be bad as if that prevented them from making four consoles with more CUs and reasonable clocks. And lastly, performance will scale worse with more CUs?? This isnt vega. the entire point of rdna is to scale with CUs. lets wait and see before we make such claims.

onQ123

If those specs turn out to be final, the difference in power isn't near as much as it was in the PS4/X1 era. Relax - the X Series X is a monster.

But if the info is real that would mean PS5 has the edge in GPU , Storage & Memory while Xbox SX has a CPU edge.

The storage & memory advantage could show off at times just like the CPU advantage will show in some situations.

But if the info is real that would mean PS5 has the edge in GPU , Storage & Memory while Xbox SX has a CPU edge.

The storage & memory advantage could show off at times just like the CPU advantage will show in some situations.

How do you know they would have the edge in storage? Is that something TF said? I could have missed it.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
Im not talking about that tho, like i previously said That chip that AMD made gonna go thru middle men and sell for 600$
Now that chip is gonna be on ps5 + blueray + ryzen + ssd + ram +++ etc and sell for the same price or less ?
Like Sony dont go thru the middle men and that console teleports directly from factory to your house.

Why are you bringing that again, we already concluded that it was the case.

Again i never said the gpu cost 599 to make, read my posts.

APU doesnt cost 600 to make. Does new iphone cost 1400 because it costs that? No, it is called profit.

APU like that costs maybe 150-250$ for Sony

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
calm down.. MS is still releasing a console more powerful than anything on the PC save for maybe the 2080ti, a $1,200 gpu.

just because they got out flopped by sony doesnt mean they are releasing a weak pos like the xbox one.

they are rumored to have a more powerful CPU so they will make the difference in framerate by leveraging the CPU instead. both consoles will be near identical with the secret sauce being the SSD implementation of the PS5. then again, no third party will take advantage of it so you wont lose out on it either.

Gamernyc78

Banned

CPU advantage? WHere
Was tht leak?

Mass Shift

I don't know about pushing these GPUs to their limits just for a less than 10% advantage that will be negligible?

Hope MS and Sony are smarter than that. If you have more graphic cores you have THE performance efficiency advantage. Why piss away that efficiency for a percentage that borders on diminishing returns?

pawel86ck

Banned
Erm.. 2x GPU power plus RDNA +20% tops is 2.4x

I'm not sure about VRS but I wouldn't class "greasy screen edges" as a performance improvement
12TF Navi RDND2 is like 15TF Vega and I have no doubts developers will use VRS on top of that, because performance boost is huge.

Here's a proof what VRS can do. 75% more performance in 3dmark thanks to VRS tier 2. So in the end XSX should offer 4x more performance compared to xbox x, and around 25x xbox one.

If Tommy Fisher is correct Sony may end up winning TFLOPS war, but I want to know if PS5 architecture will support VRS as well, because this subtle difference can change everything.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

TeamGhobad TeamGhobad
Well, he actually made that remark in one of its posts, that they are very similar in tf power... And that is Sonys memory type that is going to be the deal breaker. I don't remember if it was him or the other guy that said "new Cell breaking the net situation" lol

Last edited:

12TF Navi RDND2 is like 15TF Vega and I have no doubts developers will use VRS, because performance boost is huge.

Here's a proof what VRS can do. 75% more performance in 3dmark thanks to VRS tier 2. So in the end XSX should offer 4x more performance compared to xbox x, and around 25x xbox one.

If Tommy Fisher is correct Sony may end up winning TFLOPS war, but I want to know if PS5 architecture will support VRS as well, because this subtle difference can change everything.

tenor.gif

APU doesnt cost 600 to make. Does new iphone cost 1400 because it costs that? No, it is called profit.

APU like that costs maybe 150-250$ for Sony
Yep at least 150$ APU that's why i asked him DJ12 DJ12 to post what he's thinking specs would be for both consoles so we can get to an agreement, he didn't reply to that question.
Can you post your expectations, ps5 specs, xbox specs and prices.

Last edited:
* PS5 fab 7nm+/EUV.
* PS5 cpu clock 200Mhz lower than Xbox Series X.
* 52 active CUs at 2.0Ghz ~ 13.3TFlops for PS5.
* 52 active CUs at 1.82Ghz ~ 12.1TFlops for Xbox Series X.
* some setup of HBM is in PS5.
* Judging from PS5's specs he's seen it'll most likely be a $599 cost with $100 loss and retail for $499.
* PS5 reveal in Feb, shows the console too.
* Fully trusts Klee, has he's absolutely reliable.

Lmao

Klee was talking about 64CUs on SX.

These "insiders"... Lol Always changing. More like speculation/prediction than anything.

Everything is on point with what I said so far. I even predicted the gen style of what would become Godfall

Lort

Banned
I Just want You guys to remember what "fake" inside came with the Crazy Idea that the PSM date would be a reference to PS5 Power and Heard that it is actially getting more close to 14tf than 13tf

What i dont get is why any insider would know retail... every time they decide a certain amount of CU to bin and decide final clocks near release when they have enough samples and financial approval.

Im sure you might know *about* what the specs will be ... . but Sony ( and MS) has a history of providing aspirational BS to everyone until the end.

Anything you are hearing about upclocks to a massive chip that is already way too hot and has zero cus binned is FUD provided to you which you are just repeating because you heard it from Sony not because its actually true.

DJ12

I Just want You guys to remember what "fake" inside came with the Crazy Idea that the PSM date would be a reference to PS5 Power and Heard that it is actially getting more close to 14tf than 13tf
Well surely if Tommy get verified without his sources getting fired/sued or wake up with severed horses heads in their beds surely you will just do the same....

xool

Last edited:

Thedtrain

Lmao

Klee was talking about 64CUs on SX.

These "insiders"... Lol Always changing. More like speculation/prediction than anything.

Everything is on point with what I said so far. I even predicted the gen style of what would become Godfall
That one poster, absolute beginner, has to be r600 right? Posts the same thing about flute and Oberon. Almost verbatim

I don't see why Sony would leave performance on the table.

VRS is a core feature of RDNA2. Turing has it since 2018 on 12nm lithography. AMD would be dumb not to have it 2 years later with 7nm EUV.

Regarding MS, they tend to overhype Direct3D more than they should. "We invented DirectX" and stuff like that by Penello and co.

Here's the thing: microprocessors understand only one language and that's called machine code (basically assembly in the form of ones and zeros).

GPUs as microprocessors don't know what Direct3D or GNM or Vulkan means. Those are APIs for human beings/programmers. An abstraction to make things easier.

As long as it's RDNA2 on both consoles and we take certain hardware features for granted (whether it's HW RT or VRS), it's up to system designers to expose those features via appropriate API calls. Direct3D is not superior to GNM or vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom