• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose all the wet dreamers/ rumor peddlers have read this statement by Digital Foundry by now?
"Meanwhile, the PS5 GPU may be shrouded in mystery, but if the indications are true for Series X, Microsoft has developed a console GPU that is more performant and more feature-rich than any Navi part AMD has shipped in 2019. "
That literally means nothing .ofcourse a console coming at the end of 2020 has better gpu than what AMD put out mid 2019.is that even a surprise ?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I suppose all the wet dreamers/ rumor peddlers have read this statement by Digital Foundry by now?
"Meanwhile, the PS5 GPU may be shrouded in mystery, but if the indications are true for Series X, Microsoft has developed a console GPU that is more performant and more feature-rich than any Navi part AMD has shipped in 2019. "

The 5800/5900 these are based off don’t release until next year.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Q
Oh yeah...Missed that. Let's be honest though, these consoles at >12TF and >250W will be loud and I don't care what Sony or MS claim.
After what MS accomplished with the one x and the size of the series x box there is no reason to think it will be a 747. If it was a small form factor sure there is a ton of room for a large low rpm fan to go with a version of the one x vapor chamber.

Dory16

Banned
In other words those space ship inspired dev kits contain mock GPUs? Devs who have been painfully porting their code to it now have to port it to a GPU that will come out next year? the same year that the chinese factories have to mass produce the consoles and ship them worldwide for a simultaneous world release?
There's really no limit to the length of the holidays that some fanboys are taking from reality.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Q

After what MS accomplished with the one x and the size of the series x box there is no reason to think it will be a 747. If it was a small form factor sure there is a ton of room for a large low rpm fan to go with a version of the one x vapor chamber.

For sure. My brother recently got a One X and it is indeed impressively quiet especially as it is notably smaller than the Pro. I think Tommy indicated the loudness was applicable to the SDK and the PS5 won't look anything like that so it is currently moot.

@e
Update:

@Tommy Fisher didn’t provide sufficient enough information. Now this does not mean he is discredited (so no pile ons), we just couldn’t come to acceptable terms for verification.

@CameFromNearFuture and XcloudTimdog XcloudTimdog have yet to provide any information.
i def have info, its just a matter if I really wanna be vetted, and or can trust the process. Tyler and I dont have the best of past, but im all for burying the hatchet/. When everyone was saying ps5 was more powerful on this forum i told them all that wont be the case. When i told you all that news is about to come and we will have alot of excuses, well it all happened. Just a matter of time until I write Tyler. My problem w/ gaf was more about Bish than anything but that seemed to be taken care of. Stay tuned

demigod

@e

i def have info, its just a matter if I really wanna be vetted, and or can trust the process. Tyler and I dont have the best of past, but im all for burying the hatchet/. When everyone was saying ps5 was more powerful on this forum i told them all that wont be the case. When i told you all that news is about to come and we will have alot of excuses, well it all happened. Just a matter of time until I write Tyler. My problem w/ gaf was more about Bish than anything but that seemed to be taken care of. Stay tuned

Sorry pal, Tommy boy has you beat. Wanna duke it out with him to see which one is more powerful?

@e

I just wanna make sure u will be all rigt if ps5 ends up on top .dejavu big time . History is about to repest itself.make sure you start up playing secret sauce and vrs and stuff 😂

Dory16

Banned
Yeah similar to the more balanced bs hyperbole talk we heard about the Xbox One 🤦‍♂️We have learned our lesson 👀😁
Phil Spencer wouldn't retweet the DF article if he wasn't sure that they're onto something I'm afraid to say. It's clearly not what you want to hear, I know.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
@e

You got PS5 specs to share?

bitbydeath

In other words those space ship inspired dev kits contain mock GPUs? Devs who have been painfully porting their code to it now have to port it to a GPU that will come out next year? the same year that the chinese factories have to mass produce the consoles and ship them worldwide for a simultaneous world release?
There's really no limit to the length of the holidays that some fanboys are taking from reality.

Weird flex brah

Gamernyc78

Banned
Phil Spencer wouldn't retweet the DF article if he wasn't sure that they're onto something I'm afraid to say. It's clearly not what you want to hear, I know.

Complete nonsense bro I know your narrative. It's like all the pr bs with the cloud, milo, crackdown 3,etc Sorry alot of us don't take what thy say at face value given their history of hyperbole and deceit.

I mean all companies have dabbled in deceiving at some point or another or misleading.

SmokSmog

Where are those insiders? And what they told us ? Yea nothing...
Too many gullible kids on this thread. It's not even funny anymore.

Imtjnotu

Update:

@Tommy Fisher didn’t provide sufficient enough information. Now this does not mean he is discredited (so no pile ons), we just couldn’t come to acceptable terms for verification.

@CameFromNearFuture and XcloudTimdog XcloudTimdog have yet to provide any information.
7BRj.gif

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member

Knock of the console war rhetoric in this thread. Thank you.

Jesus Christ. What the fuck has been happening. Both here and Resetera. We know nothing about anything. Just some vague ball-park figures. People need to chill and be patient. You don't win anything by predicting which box is more powerful than the other.

If what Tommy Fischer says is true, then it seems that PS5 has the advantage over Xbox series except for CPU and noise? That doesn't make Xbox series the most powerful console. Why do I get the feeling that the most recent announcement from Microsoft *IS* Lockhart and the best is yet to come?

I am also speculating the following:
-Their recent announcement is to drive some excitement for gamers, generate anticipation and discussion so that word can be spread out. Trying to take some limelight away from anticipation for PS5.
-Developers complaining about anemic RAM of lockhart could be the 13GB of GDDR6.
-The series name got removed and now is just Xbox? I think Microsoft has something else up their sleeve.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I’m an Xbox gamer. Gamertag: DuvalMagic. If I could wave a magic wand, Xbox and Playstation would both be incredibly powerful and keep parity with one another. I think Sony and Microsoft should team up, actually.
Of course he wants that.

So dev costs would be simpler with one console platform instead of PS and Xbox.

That way he can sell the same bullshotty Colonial Marines with reduced dev costs and bank more profits.

TeamGhobad

Banned
If what Tommy Fischer says is true, then it seems that PS5 has the advantage over Xbox series except for CPU and noise? That doesn't make Xbox series the most powerful console. Why do I get the feeling that the most recent announcement from Microsoft *IS* Lockhart and the best is yet to come?

-Their recent announcement is to drive some excitement for gamers, generate anticipation and discussion so that word can be spread out. Trying to take some limelight away from anticipation for PS5.
-Developers complaining about anemic RAM of lockhart could be the 13GB of GDDR6.
-The series name got removed and now is just Xbox? I think Microsoft has something else up their sleeve.

there is literally only an 8% increase in power between 12 tflops and 13 tflops. besides MS has higher CU count it seems and better middleware software to utilize that power. nothing to worry about. remember when BF4 came out? and people thought the xbox version looked better same thing will happen here, no worries. now the SSD is worrisome and only 16gb of ram..im thinking dev kits have 32 so they think 16 will be in the final build but in xbox own soc reveal video we saw they had atleast 20.

PS5>>SeX - GPU
PS5>>>>>SeX - SSD
PS5>>>SeX - Ram size (bandwidth too?)
SeX>PS5 - CPU speed
SeX>=PS5 - Noise
Guys... lol, let's use logic here, ask yourself how that guy got hes infos ?
could be an insider, yes.
he may have Dev Kit Specs, doesn't mean the final product will be like that.
Why would anyone of them (Sony, MS) send Dev Kits with final specs to devs ?
if they do so it's over, there is no competition, the other company just have to beat it and it's done.
If this guy is a real insider he must have GIMP version of the final product which is a Dev Kit.
as of now only cerny and he's team has the real info, not even Naughty dog has the final specs, this is a Billion dollar company, they surely not showing their cards until (keynote).
Hope you guys understand i had to be so freaking carefull about my source. Youre gonna understand everything Very very soon. Stay tuned for some crazy shit happening in both sony and ms reveal events.
Waw so vague, like we didn't know it's coming very soon.
Still, 5800 Navi Lite APU(lighter version of the 5800 + RT) i don't think it's more than 11TF MAX, i still think that 2x xbox one x means GCN.
hhh, that's a good one.
-------------------------

"DF does good work."
we got busted
"As Moore's law slows and our perf ambitions increase it leads to design innovation."
we can't deliver what you expecting
"Software innovations like VRS will also be critical"
but we will use trickery to achieve that
"Xbox Series X rewrites the rules of console design"
it gonna be more PC like
"and the power level should be extraordinary"
don't worry you will still be amazed either way.

Gamernyc78

Banned

Xbox fans think Microsoft has something up their sleeves, Sony fans think Sony has something up their sleeves. Depends who you ask. When it's all said and done looks like many were rught Playstation will be slightly more powerful. Doesn't mean Xbox cabt have some good games and do well.

Thedtrain

Guys... lol, let's use logic here, ask yourself how that guy got hes infos ?
could be an insider, yes.
he may have Dev Kit Specs, doesn't mean the final product will be like that.
Why would anyone of them (Sony, MS) send Dev Kits with final specs to devs ?
if they do so it's over, there is no competition, the other company just have to beat it and it's done.
If this guy is a real insider he must have GIMP version of the final product which is a Dev Kit.
as of now only cerny and he's team has the real info, not even Naughty dog has the final specs, this is a Billion dollar company, they surely not showing their cards until (keynote).

Waw so vague, like we didn't know it's coming very soon.

Still, 5800 Navi Lite APU(lighter version of the 5800 + RT) i don't think it's more than 11TF MAX, i still think that 2x xbox one x means GCN.

hhh, that's a good one.
-------------------------

"DF does good work."
we got busted
"As Moore's law slows and our perf ambitions increase it leads to design innovation."
we can't deliver what you expecting
"Software innovations like VRS will also be critical"
but we will use trickery to achieve that
"Xbox Series X rewrites the rules of console design"
it gonna be more PC like
"and the power level should be extraordinary"
don't worry you will still be amazed either way.

Navi lite just means iGPU.

Gamernyc78

Banned
there is literally only an 8% increase in power between 12 tflops and 13 tflops. besides MS has higher CU count it seems and better middleware software to utilize that power. nothing to worry about. remember when BF4 came out? and people thought the xbox version looked better same thing will happen here, no worries. now the SSD is worrisome and only 16gb of ram..im thinking dev kits have 32 so they think 16 will be in the final build but in xbox own soc reveal video we saw they had atleast 20.
Better middleware🤔yeah right. Microsoft in no way even with Dx12 has ever shown it has some software advantage, it was just all talk and Sony akways has their own solutions. You bring up BF I don't remember anyone thinking it looked better in xbone I just remember the black crush issues tht ppl thought looked better but was deceiving and actually got corrected later on. Even so you mention one game out of many against the narrative your trying to allude to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom