• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
how? dynamic 4k can be 1440p...
how can you have a native 4k 30 fps mode that turns into native 4k 60 fps mode with dynamic resolution?

i think its fair to say that the game will spend most of its time at 1440p or 1620p. you simply cannot double the framerate by keeping the resolution the same. it HAS to cut down by half.

DrDamn

how can you have a native 4k 30 fps mode that turns into native 4k 60 fps mode with dynamic resolution?

i think its fair to say that the game will spend most of its time at 1440p or 1620p. you simply cannot double the framerate by keeping the resolution the same. it HAS to cut down by half.

That depends how close to 60fps the cinematic mode was doesn't it? It is was hovering more around 45 and already close to 60 on less intense scenes then reducing effects may make the resolution higher than you expect. The resolution only has to half if it was only just managing to hit 30 consistently and everything else remains the same.

ethomaz

Banned
Notice Cerny said large RAM pool 18:23

Large I believe it is meant to be over 4MB of normal L2 cache for GPUs.

BTW that is not the first time Cerny tries something like that.

1291403_0.jpg

He now archived that with PS5.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Quite easily, if the average at 4K is say unlocked 55 FPS what do you do ?

4k30 fixed and 4k60 dynamic would be one way. As you dont know the average frame rate or drop cases, you dont know the average dymanic resolutuon either.

FunkMiller

Just... so fucking good. All that beautiful gameplay coming in 2 weeks!

RDNA 1.5 + 9 TF + Variable clocks + Sony = Magic. Fire. Need that. GOTY. 10/10.

FULL RDNA 2 + 12 TF + FIXED CLOCKS + VA + SMART DELIVERY + SFS + VRS + ML + DX12 + DXR + Microsoft = no fucking games

I think this rather goes to prove that the only thing that actually matters is the games.

I would have loved to have seen some triple AAA Series X gameplay footage to persuade me to buy one, but I just haven’t.

On the flip side, Sony HAVE shown me what I want to see. This game looks amazing.

GameSeeker

You assume the game is hitting 4K 30fps at an uncapped frame rate. That's a poor assumption. The game may be hitting 4K 40-50fps uncapped, so they cap it to 4K 30fps to get a rock solid frame rate. Then they get 60fps by letting the resolution dip below 4K (i.e., dynamic resolution). The drop could be half, but more likely less than that.

FunkMiller

Damn games are drying up all over the place.

Not much of a surprise. I bash Ubisoft because I have a near psychotic dislike of everything they do, but Covid has clearly had a massive impact.

Just as well Ps5 is backwards compatible, as I have yet to play Ghost of Tsushima, and with Demon’s Souls first, and Cyberpunk after that, I’m cool to probably Feb/March.

Garani

how to kill your next gen console.

continue supporting your last gen console and nerf your next gen console games.

good job.
Wait, does Ryan's interview really say PS4 support until 2022? I'm at work and haven't had time to read it.

Are you expecting Sony to just drop everything PS4 and make 110 million owners mad? If Cross Gen looks like Spiderman MM, I'd be quite an happy camper!

Damn games are drying up all over the place.

You can always buy an XSX and Gamepass! :p

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned
Some people have been questioning why MS has changed it language on it's websites from "Most Powerful Console" to "Most Powerful Xbox".

They claimed "Most Powerful Console" before PS5 was announced, and then changed it after that, and probably for legal reasons.

Here's why, as teraflops is not the only metric.

GPU Clock (MHz)22331825
Shading Units23043328
Texture Mapping Units144208
ROPs6464
Triangles (billion/sec)8.927.34 Primitive Units x clock speed
Triangles Culled (billion/sec)17.8414.6(Each Primitive unit can cull two primitives) x clock speed
Pixel Rate (GPixel/s) via the ROPS142.9116.8Clock speed x 64 ROPS (Render output unit)
Texture Rate (GTexel/s)321.6379.6Clock speed x TMU's (Texture mapping unit)
FP32 (float) performance10.2912.15
FP16 (half) performance (TFLOPS)20.5824.29
SSD Rate (GB/sec)5.52.4

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Some people have been questioning why MS has changed it language on it's websites from "Most Powerful Console" to "Most Powerful Xbox".

They claimed "Most Powerful Console" before PS5 was announced, and then changed it after that, and probably for legal reasons.

PS5XSXNotes:
GPU Clock (MHz)22231825
Shading Units23043328
ROPs6464
Triangles Culled (billion/sec)17.8414.6(Each Primitive unit can cull two primitives) x clock speed
Pixel Rate (GPixel/s) via the ROPS142.9116.8Clock speed x 64 ROPS (Render output unit)

Now i am confused, i thought Xbox was full rdna2 and Sony was missing stuff, why are there some higher/better % on the Ps5 spreadsheet than the xbox ones, Thats not what the other channel was celebrating last night, "lollipop_disappointed:

LucasBR

As much as i hate Sony's drip-feed of information, i can feel it sort of working now, these next few weeks are going to be good.

Interesting to see what Microsoft will be doing too, with the run-up to the release date.

I was talking to some friends about it. I don't like it as well but we all agreed that they are VERY good in creating hype and expectations! I know I'm a PS guy and I'm following/reading more stuff from the blue side but every time I enter in "non-ps" media all I see is PlayStation. PlayStation everywhere!

xacto

Not much of a surprise. I bash Ubisoft because I have a near psychotic dislike of everything they do, but Covid has clearly had a massive impact.

Just as well Ps5 is backwards compatible, as I have yet to play Ghost of Tsushima, and with Demon’s Souls first, and Cyberpunk after that, I’m cool to probably Feb/March.

I buckled and bought Ghost of Tsushima; I have no words to describe it. I just want to play it yet again on PS5, of course.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Quite easily, if the average at 4K is say unlocked 55 FPS what do you do ?

4k30 fixed and 4k60 dynamic would be one way. As you dont know the average frame rate or drop cases, you dont know the average dymanic resolutuon either.
You assume the game is hitting 4K 30fps at an uncapped frame rate. That's a poor assumption. The game may be hitting 4K 40-50fps uncapped, so they cap it to 4K 30fps to get a rock solid frame rate. Then they get 60fps by letting the resolution dip below 4K (i.e., dynamic resolution). The drop could be half, but more likely less than that.
I dont think the game is running at 55 fps. If that were the case, they would optimize and downgrade some settings to hit 60 fps instead of just locking it to 30 fps.

30 fps lock usually means the game is running at above 30 but below 40. they are not wasting extra horsepower on higher framerates so they optimize by turning up settings in the 30 fps mode if they do have any headroom available.

its possible that the game can hit native 4k 60 fps with no enemies on screen and drop down to 1800p or 1440p with enemies on screen. i suspect most boss fights will be in the 1440p range. i guess we will find out.

Last edited:

PS5XSXNotes:
GPU Clock (MHz)22331825
Shading Units23043328
ROPs6464

Plus the SSD rate being in favor of the PS5 also.

ask Satya Nadella and check the latest financial report published this week the stance from MS is the most powerful console ? a plethora of interpretations will result in different interpretations regarding if statements are true based on objective view points.

LucidFlux

After watching the Demon's souls gameplay trailer #2 revealed, i seriously pity those xbox fanboys, all they have now is the talk about Full RDNA2 blah blah blah, and without any true next gen games like Demon's Souls, to play. U know what, i don't give a damn about ps5 being full RDNA2 or whatever shit cerny put inside ps5, just give me games like demon souls, spider man, gow, got2, Horizon forbidden west. Just give me fucking true next gen games, next gen experiences. At the end of the day, only games does matters.

I get what you're saying and I agree it truly is all about games at the end of the day but some of us (whether we're green, blue, red or some color in between) have a genuine interest in the technology that makes all this possible. So while I agree some folks absolutely do have an agenda and try to throw shade at others, some of us are actually curious and excited by these feature sets and what it could mean with regards to future computing performance or enabling new experiences in gaming.

I know you're probably just referring to the fanatics but I thought I'd throw that out there.

sircaw

Banned
So many third party games being delayed.....That's where good first party games come in......It's good to have those no?

I'm your huckleberry.

Having options is always great, and Sony is giving their Fans exactly that. Some of these Delays to third party games would be an absolute killer if Sony did not have something else in reserve.

Imagine not having Demon souls or spiderman, or Astro or Sackboy or BUGSNAX.

Pretty depressing if your not getting a Ps5.

jose4gg

how? dynamic 4k can be 1440p...

Yes, dynamic 4k can be 1440p but bo actually showed pictures where we all saw a 4K resolution, and we were discussing if it was AI or checkerboarding upscaling, because the pixel count was higher than 1440... He actually posted the pictures, so, yea, dynamic can mean 1440p BUT in the segments where Bo took the pictures, it was 4k or very close to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom