• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grinchy

Banned
Most mics are mono. It's expected from the mic built-in into the controller. Stereo is not really needed for its purpose.

But what if I want to make ASMR videos using my PS5 controller as a microphone where I whisper lovingly into the left and right channels while tapping on pog containers??

Stuart360

To me, it sounds like he's talking about no direct game comparisons or not direct loading times comparisons, etc.
He's probably talking about some unannounced features. Are these features software of hardware related? well, we don't know but that's my take on their statements.
Features we dont know about, thats the only thing it could be really.

duhmetree

Since we don't have a dedicated technology thread, I'll post this here.

Damn. Intel is fucked. 14nm still.

that was the obvious result, no? You can only do so much before you just overload it with power.

Intel will be fine once they get their fab down and replace leadership. Maybe they should have been spending Billions on R&D instead of stock buy backs. Spent that money on your senior engineers instead of outsourcing and being 'diverse'.

farmerboy

ArcaneNLSC ArcaneNLSC you put the moz on us mate🤣, walked into JB on Wed (lockdown in Melb finished the day before) an d they won't take a deposit for PS5, nor know when they'll have floorstock or when the next delivery of stock will happen.

We're in the fucking dark here. Not sure why they can't just keep taking preorders and fill those orders when they get stock.

😳

duhmetree

The textures did look high resolution when zoomed in. I don't know if it was 1440p or 2160p though.

Should give DF the benefit of the doubt... but war never changes... and it gets weird on here.

Last edited:
Has this been covered from Ubisoft's website?

Xbox Series X | S: The near-future London of Watch Dogs: Legion will fully benefit from the hardware accelerated raytracing of the new Xbox Series X | S; from Piccadilly Circus and its giant digital screens, to Camden High Street’s neon lights and holograms, the power of real-time ray traced reflections brings a never seen before level of realism to an urban playground. Early collaboration between Microsoft and the game teams allows the game to unlock the power of Xbox DirectStorage, meaning loading times have been massively reduced allowing for smoother world traversal and faster loading times than ever before. Upgrade from an Xbox One X copy of the game to the Xbox Series X | S* version with Xbox’s Smart Delivery technology at no extra cost.

PlayStation 5: Ray tracing on PlayStation 5 will immerse players in a city full of digital screens, holograms, and neon lights, while players can also take advantage of the Tempest 3D Audio engine to bring London to life by hearing every passing car, talking pedestrian, or drone flying overhead. Thanks to the ultra-high speed SSD, loading times will be dramatically reduced, allowing for even quicker fast-travel and seamless high-speed drives across London. Adaptive triggers enable players to enjoy hand-tuned responses, elevating the visceral feeling of high-tension moments. And lastly, you can upgrade your PlayStation 4 copy of the game to the PlayStation 5** version at no additional cost.

👀

edit to include the link

Last edited:
So the surprising things could be Thermals, noise and maybe bc, i can't think of many other things.
The surprising thing would be that certain third party games run better on the PS5. Let me explain why I assume that:

Remember when the PS3 was more powerful on paper, compared to the X360? Games were better on the X360, because it was more easy to develop for. On the other hand, it was hard to optimize games for the cell tech used in the PS3.

Now a lot of insiders have said how happy devs are to work for the PS5. If third party devs are able to optimize their games much easier, some games might even have the edge on the PS5, compared to the Series X.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has this been covered from Ubisoft's website?

Xbox Series X | S: The near-future London of Watch Dogs: Legion will fully benefit from the hardware accelerated raytracing of the new Xbox Series X | S; from Piccadilly Circus and its giant digital screens, to Camden High Street’s neon lights and holograms, the power of real-time ray traced reflections brings a never seen before level of realism to an urban playground. Early collaboration between Microsoft and the game teams allows the game to unlock the power of Xbox DirectStorage, meaning loading times have been massively reduced allowing for smoother world traversal and faster loading times than ever before. Upgrade from an Xbox One X copy of the game to the Xbox Series X | S* version with Xbox’s Smart Delivery technology at no extra cost.

PlayStation 5: Ray tracing on PlayStation 5 will immerse players in a city full of digital screens, holograms, and neon lights, while players can also take advantage of the Tempest 3D Audio engine to bring London to life by hearing every passing car, talking pedestrian, or drone flying overhead. Thanks to the ultra-high speed SSD, loading times will be dramatically reduced, allowing for even quicker fast-travel and seamless high-speed drives across London. Adaptive triggers enable players to enjoy hand-tuned responses, elevating the visceral feeling of high-tension moments. And lastly, you can upgrade your PlayStation 4 copy of the game to the PlayStation 5** version at no additional cost.

👀

edit to include the link

What are we looking at here?

sircaw

Banned
The surprising thing would be that certain third party games run better on the PS5. Let me explain why I assume that:

Remember when the PS3 was more powerful on paper, compared to the X360? Games were better on the X360, because it was more easy to develop for. On the other hand, it was hard to optimize games for the cell tech used on the PS3.

Now a lot of insiders have said how happy devs are to work for the PS5. If third party devs are able to optimize their games much easier, some games might even have the edge on the PS5, compared to the Series X.

yer but they said no game comparisons, or that was not what the difference where.

My list is kinda,

thermals,
noise
controller battery
BC

Still trying to think of more.

Last edited:
I love how this Squidward looking dude looks funny on the PS3 version but terrifying on the PS5.
CqB5wSq.jpg

Hey OsirisBlack OsirisBlack is he related to you?

Xextil_

Neo Member
To me, it sounds like he's talking about no direct game comparisons or not direct loading times comparisons, etc.
He's probably talking about some unannounced features. Are these features software of hardware related? well, we don't know but that's my take on their statements.

Better Quick Resume on PS5 maybe?
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
yer but they said no game comparisons, or that was not what the difference where.

My list is kinda,

thermals,
noise
controller battery
BC

Still trying to think of more.
I thought he was being sarcastic, to get around the NDA. They were teasing other stuff throughout the video, stuff like „can’t confirm if it’s a HDMI 2.1 cable right now, but it works great on my LG CX“ or referring to the cooling solution etc. But we will see next week what the surprise is all about, hopefully.

sircaw

Banned
I thought he was being sarcastic, to get around the NDA. They were teasing other stuff throughout the video, stuff like „can’t confirm if it’s a HDMI 2.1 cable right now, but it works great on my LG CX“ or referring to the cooling solution etc. But we will see next week what the surprise is all about, hopefully.

You could very well be correct, its going to be great seeing the information finally coming out in the next 7 days or so, we are so close now.

Yeah but why specify hardware accelerated ray tracing for Xbox? and specify real time RT Reflections but just say 'ray tracing on ps5 will immerse players blah.

Just the usual different wording. We went through this with the framerate debacle

Watch Dogs is only doing raytraced refelctions. So when they say PS5 is doing raytracing they can't be refering to anything else but reflections

Lysandros

at the end they mention platform comparison surprises, i wonder what that means? maybe not much difference at all in 3rd party games? either way looking forward to both now, this gen is gonna be great!
'Not much difference at all in 3rd party games' woudn't really be a suprise considering the specs, but if PS5 outperforms XSX to a 'significant' degree, yes that would be a little suprising (not for me personaly).

Last edited:
Just the usual different wording. We went through this with the framerate debacle

Watch Dogs is only doing raytraced refelctions. So when they say PS5 is doing raytracing they can't be refering to anything else but reflections

Very good point, i expected it was just the case somebody else wrote the marketing spiel for the PS5 version, but wondered if it had been covered.

vkbest

I watched a side-by-side comparison and on PS3 the rock breaks into pieces that stay on the stair. It doesn't disappear.

im Talking about physics, they are unaltered, confirmed by developers. That you are describing can be a bug, or sacrifice for performance or any thing

ErRor88

Tick Tok? 👀

In the time since first posting the blog, Ubisoft has revised the wording to make clear that the PS5 iteration of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla can indeed perform at 4K at 60 frames per second. In a follow-up message sent to us by a PR representative at the publisher, this notion was also made clear once again. “I can confirm that Assassin’s Creed Valhalla runs at 4K at 60 fps on PS5 (upscaled 4K),” we were told.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom