• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetree

Good for Xbox fans who insist they would instantly turn it off
8286.jpg

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I know, right? I love my Souls games in 60fps, but I’m definitely experiencing this in the cinematic mode first.
I'm not a fan of the Souls series, but this game looks wayyyy to good to pass up and honestly I would be spoilt for choice when it comes to the cinematic and performance mode. Personally I'm a sucker for high resolution and high visual fidelity, so I'll go with cinematic mode as well!

The density of the geometry is already amazing at 60 FPS, I can only imagine what the 30 FPS would bring especially with the tessellation.
Okay so remember the reveal trailer? The Flamelurker's cutscene was in there and today we got to see that same scene but in the performance mode. I thought we could get an idea of what the fidelity mode would look like by comparing the reveal and yesterday's gameplay but somehow, the performance mode looks better than what appears to be the fidelity mode from the first trailer, lol. Also they changed the design to look closer to the original.

Reveal:
CKJuDms.jpg

Gameplay:
WP3pGSa.jpg

Quick Gif:
ezgif-com-gif-maker-1.gif

So to think it will look even better than that is crazy.

Last edited:

GreyHand23

Okay so remember the reveal trailer? The Flamelurker's cutscene was in there and today we got to see that same scene but in the performance mode. I thought we could get an idea of what the fidelity mode would look like by comparing the reveal and yesterday's gameplay but somehow, the performance mode looks better than what appears to be the fidelity mode from the first trailer, lol. Also they changed the desing to look closer to the original.

Reveal:
CKJuDms.jpg

Gameplay:
WP3pGSa.jpg

Quick Gif:

The reveal was also performance mode.

Sinthor

Gold Member
DS and Spider-Man look CGI quality at time. Wild!

I'm waiting for the market to mature just a bit (I'm thinking that means 2021 hopefully) but these games and the PS5 are going to make me upgrade to a 4k TV, I'm 99.9% certain. I just want to see more options with HDMI 2.1, including receivers. Right now there are only a few receivers that handle 2.1 and the cheapest is about $800 afaik...

The reveal was also performance mode.
Am nope, the fidelity mode runs at a native 4K/30 and according to DF that reveal video runs at a native 2160p in every shot they tested. Timestamped:

And it gets confirmed again later that's running at 4K/30.:

I think you are confusing the very first reveal trailer and the first demo from last month :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned

Nice video
In the end Dave Lee says only first party would support these features. Just like to say that a lot of third parties developers will support DaulSenese features to some extent.

Great breakdown on how the controller works and how advanced it really is. Crazy how it's catching everybody by surprise.

I like the panel color change on the PS5. Custom side panel market is going to huge. People making they're own designs as well like he did. People love personalizing their things

Saberus

Am nope, the fidelity mode runs at a native 4K/30 and according to DF that reveal video runs at a native 2160p in every shot they tested. Timestamped:

And it gets confirmed again later that's running at 4K/30.:

I think you are confusing the very first reveal trailer and the first demo from last month :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Yup, the last two game play trailers are performance mode, per the developer, they haven't showed the eye candy mode yet for game play. :)

Yup, the last two game play trailers are performance mode, per the developer, they haven't showed the eye candy mode yet for game play. :)
The very first trailer from June was made from in game cinematics. The scenes you see before each boss fight and the game's intro. That trailer was native 4K/30 so I'm sure the scenes from that trailer are meant to be from the fidelity mode due to the fact that are running at the exact same target that Bluepoint have said the fidelity mode will run at. That's where the first pic in my post is from.

MastaKiiLA

DS and MM are just launch games. Even R&C is just launch window. HFW and GOW are probably going to be the early gen2 games, at best. The future looks bright for gaming visuals on the new consoles. Lumen in the Land of Nanite might just be tip of the iceberg of what the next Uncharted game could look like. These are good times.

TLZ

Banned
Okay so remember the reveal trailer? The Flamelurker's cutscene was in there and today we got to see that same scene but in the performance mode. I thought we could get an idea of what the fidelity mode would look like by comparing the reveal and yesterday's gameplay but somehow, the performance mode looks better than what appears to be the fidelity mode from the first trailer, lol. Also they changed the desing to look closer to the original.

Reveal:
CKJuDms.jpg

Gameplay:
WP3pGSa.jpg

Quick Gif:

What's desing?

onesvenus

And some people here were implying that the patent about clocks, the one about BC, was somehow related to the frequency-changing thing that RDNA2 CUs are doing 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
People are reading whatever they want to read, even when they have clear technical documents in front of them.
What's the problem here? Sorry I haven't been following. Are you guys arguing the new DS trailer isn't 4k60?
Lance McDonald, the guy who did the Bloodborne patch and who has access to BluePoint studios said that just until very recently DS was running at 1440p. Just like DF claimed the game was against what our own technically-savy folks were saying.
DF 1 - PS Neogaf 0

vkbest

It only runs at 1440p/60 on PC with a 2080 Super and Ryzen 5 3600X that's considerably more powerful than both consoles, Series X and PS5 will both be upscaled 4k@60 for sure.

I think they will not 4k, they will dynamic 4k. But first, games always has been better optimized in consoles, and we don’t know what settings this game is running in consoles

I think they will not 4k, they will dynamic 4k. But first, games always has been better optimized in consoles, and we don’t know what settings this game is running in consoles
Well, at first it was said that it would run at 4K/30 on XSX. But now we are told that somehow it will run at double the framarate and at the same resolution. So I think is pretty clear that they're obviously making some sacrifices and my best bet is that they're upscaling the resolution.

vkbest

Well, at first it was said that it would run at 4K/30 on XSX. But now we are told that somehow it will run at double the framarate and at the same resolution. So I think is pretty clear that they're obviously making some sacrifices and my best bet is that they're upscaling the resolution.

nope, they said the game was running over 30 FPS, so people though was unlocked or they would lock to 30

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the market to mature just a bit (I'm thinking that means 2021 hopefully) but these games and the PS5 are going to make me upgrade to a 4k TV, I'm 99.9% certain. I just want to see more options with HDMI 2.1, including receivers. Right now there are only a few receivers that handle 2.1 and the cheapest is about $800 afaik...

Also think if you really need "full" hdmi 2.1 receiver? when there are 400€ ones that already support parts of it, USA electronics are always cheaper so it should be like 300-400$ there

After eARC become a thing, it is also possible to connect devices directly on TV and receiver still gets HD audio. And these things are now so highly integrated that there isnt really difference between using devices - > tv -> eARC receiver Vs devices -> receiver -> tv. you can even use both, some connected to tv, some to receiver and all should work, even with just TVs remote

I have had Sony STR-DN1080 receiver for maybe 3 years now, and it still gets updates, latest came few weeks ago https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/downloads/00016980 and they have already added eARC support from 2.1 + dolby vision pass trough.

and best part is that it is cheap, 399€ when I bought it years ago, it have great sound quality, great features and dolby atmos if someone needs it. https://www.whathifi.com/sony/str-dn1080/review and have won yearly award 3 times in a row. So if you dont need full 2.1, this is good option to buy from sales

Not sure if it is possible to add all 2.1 features like 120hz pass trough ( I havent checked it as I dont have tv like that), but with arc/earc it should not be needed. I have some consoles/devices connected on the amp and some on tv, all work and inputs are switched automatically.

I have 1080p Sony tv and 4k oled would be tempting, but I will wait and see how games look on this tv before doing anything :messenger_savoring:

Last edited:

geordiemp

And some people here were implying that the patent about clocks, the one about BC, was somehow related to the frequency-changing thing that RDNA2 CUs are doing 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
People are reading whatever they want to read, even when they have clear technical documents in front of them.

Lance McDonald, the guy who did the Bloodborne patch and who has access to BluePoint studios said that just until very recently DS was running at 1440p. Just like DF claimed the game was against what our own technically-savy folks were saying.
DF 1 - PS Neogaf 0

The only ones of interest for me where the 2 VRS ones, in particular the last one that uses meshes and the performance increase IPC for VR was noteably very large.

Then there is allot of teases by matt on allot of subjects such as caches.

I cant find the one where he teases about shared L1. I will find it.

Last edited:

buenoblue

I successfully pre-ordereda ps5 from Curry's in the uk and paid £5 deposit. Got an email yesterday saying they've raised the price of preorder ps5's by£2000! But they then give me a code for £2000 off? Then made it sound as if I have to enter a lottery to see if I actually get a ps5????? What the fuck. Any one else got this email?

Luckily I have another fully paid preorder from argos, though I'm still nervous.

Zathalus

I successfully pre-ordereda ps5 from Curry's in the uk and paid £5 deposit. Got an email yesterday saying they've raised the price of preorder ps5's by£2000! But they then give me a code for £2000 off? Then made it sound as if I have to enter a lottery to see if I actually get a ps5????? What the fuck. Any one else got this email?

Luckily I have another fully paid preorder from argos, though I'm still nervous.
The 2000 thing is to prevent scalpers I believe.

Dodkrake

Banned
TBH odd and cumbersome shapes can give your the impression that a given item is much heavier than it acctually is.

What the DF really meant is, this object is much harder to carry arround than this other.... and his brain translated as A is heavier than B.

Funny but not a big deal.

You don't need to find excuses for big ol' Rich. He knows exactly why he said it.

Blight0r

Neo Member
Cross gen games until 2022.... where is all the bitching about this?
Lets be frank about this.

The issues with XSX|S that most people had isn't that it has games that do crossgen, the problem is that it made the decision not to do ANY next gen exclusives for 2 years.

Then the whole HALO shitstorm happened, and people blamed it on not being made only for NextGen (DF i'm looking at you).

That was a furfey. They just fucked up with Halo. I think everyone is pretty happy with the crossgen game quality on the PS5 that we have seen so far AND its getting exclusives. Crossgen is is fine so long as it looks good.

Loxus

Here are my expectations.

I/O: PS5

Framerate + Resolution : XSX
If you really understand the PS5 I/O,
A matter in fact, if you understand how the PS5's CPU, GPU, RAM, SSD, and I/O works together.
You'll see XBSX doesn't really win in the Framerate + Resolution department.

When Cerny said: "As the player is turning around. It's possible to load textures for everything behind the player in that split second."
He's also implying, those textures that are behind the player that would normally be rendered.
Aren't anymore, thus freeing up a lot of resources and resulting in better framerate and resolution.

i92omuP.png

And that's only one of the many advantages the PS5 has.
People really needs to stop banking hard with this 12 TF BS.

"If you just calculate teraflops you get the same number, but actually the performance is noticeably different because teraflops is defined as the computational capability of the vector ALU."
"That's just one part of the GPU there are a lot of other units and those other units all run faster when the GPU frequency is higher at 33% higher frequency rasterization goes 33% faster processing the command buffer goes that much faster the 2 and other caches have that much higher bandwidth and so on."

Although, I'll admit it will take time as developers will still use old techniques.
But any game design around the I/O, will have major benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom