• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I’ve tried to find my PS5 but the Amazon warehouse must have a good firewall around it. 😞

e3kzHGW.jpg

Nickolaidas

Maybe but I feel like they would be saving that for the summer, we still haven't seen gameplay from HFW so I wouldn't be surprised if the VGA's close with a gameplay trailer for HFW running on PS5. If GoW2 really is a PS5 exclusive and the graphics are as "jaw-dropping" as it's being rumored, they would probably save a huge reveal like that for June. But hey, maybe I'm wrong and we get HFW gameplay AND a small cinematic teaser at most for GoW2, I ain't complaining.

Regarding the posts, if you click on the "POC" hashtag every game developer is doing it, not just the ones from SSM.

You see, Microsoft? Some companies have BOTH diversity AND talent!

Wait until you see Sony Japan HQ.

I wonder if there is 100% African game companies that make games, never heard of any.

Diversity talk is bullshit, if 100% Ezkimo* company would make best games ever, let them do it.

Diversity works only/best in places like USA where all have same native language + background. (If they are not immigrants). Having 20 different nationalities with broken english as common language vs as talented team with 1 common native language = no contest.

At USA it is not even really diverse if everyone are born there. They may look different but have same background, right? Basically same as having 100% white/black/yellow* team, people have different personalities and families, so they are as diverse inside too as mixed race teams

I heard so many foreing student talking so shitty english at university that I wonder how much time would be wasted by bad communication:messenger_beaming: I'm good at understanding broken english, but had no idea what they were trying to say (I talk shitty spoken english too like Finnish rally drivers, it would waste 80% of my concentration to trying to pronounce words even remotely right)

*If these words are not politically correct, then it is culturalt thing and adds diversity, as they are non-biased terms here

Last edited:

Stuart360

just been called a troll for posting these links that show xsx assassin's creed valhalla with frame rate drops. here are the links it drops to 20fps at some points.

shame wish they would lower the res to give a locked 60fps would be a joke if the xss version has a better frame rate.

I wouldnt 'worry' too much about it. It seems to stay at 60fps in gameplay, and dropped in a cutscene, which could be a bug. The game is supposed to have a day one patch, which these preview versions wont have.

Shmunter

It's probably PSNow related. Still with embargo.
PS Now also has ps2 however, so the omission of that category is like a square peg in a round hole. It may be PSNow related, keeping in mind PSNow also allows title downloads.....:pie_thinking:

If it's just a shortcut to PSNow PS3 streaming catalogue that would be lamer than lame and I'll be having words.

Last edited:

vkbest

One thing I don't understand about BC with PS5 is that if a game's FPS is improved compared to how it was running on PS4/PS4 Pro, then it's running at native mode right (36 CUs, 2.23GHz)? Cause if it was running on one of the legacy modes, it would be the exact same resolution and frame rate output.

Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong.

the game are running at the same resolution and FPS than PS4 and Pro. If they are unlocked or dynamicsl res, PS5 boost the framerate and max the resolution. Boost mode is only for patched games (no all patches will support boost mode). You are seeing that increment, because CPU is over 2x more powerful at same frequency than Jaguar, GPU is near of 2x efficiency at same TFLOPS. Boost mode probably we are seeing only on some games such as GOT or Days Gone

Garani

Lots of people confuse with AMD'S RDNA2 ARCHITECTURE and DX12U features, take a look at these 2 pictures i cropped from Amd website,

Oi5gNw2.jpg

This is a RDNA2 features

Oo8uxmc.jpg

This is Microsoft DX12U features,
Ps5 doesn't use DX12U, but it's using its own API, PS5 stripped infinity cache from RDNA2 and added GPU cache scrubbers in its place, Ps5 is using their own custom GE for equivalent performance to DX12U, maybe even perform better than DX12U. That's why both consoles are Custom RDNA2 not featuring full RDNA2, i still don't understand why Richard is still keep emphasizing on ps5 not being full RDNA2 but Series x being full RDNA2.

Going by your statement I gather that XSX is not RDNA2 because it is missing infinity cache as well as the PS5.

1) It's still a very performant system for the price (XSX). So what is the problem? If MS gave up on consoles after current gen then the PS5 would probably have been very different. Whatever you feel about MS' offerings in the console space, you, as a consumer, should be happy they are there to provide much needed competition. You obviously like the PS5 design philosophy and games more. That's great, so do I. I just don't understand the outrage over this.
2) It delivers the promised performance and works in accordance with design. The controller is PCIE4.0 so I still don't understand the issue.

This is not competition, this is PC building. Sony is doing competition through innovation, while slapping PC parts together is not. Then again, Microsoft has a different goal in mind than Sony.

It's clear that Microsoft wants developers to "compile once, run anywhere" (well, not really compile once, but at least make sure that developers don't have to re-write code between XBox and PC). Sony doesn't care: they are forced to make their own API and as such they can do what they want at the hardware and software level.

Probably using the same drive in the Surface line of laptops. Cheaper for MS with an increase in volume. Makes sense actually.

Oh yes it does, never said that it doesn't. It just feels cheap (it's not cheap, but you get the point).

vivftp

PS Now also has ps2 however, so the omission of that category is like a square peg in a round hole. It may be PSNow related, keeping in mind PSNow also allows title downloads.....:pie_thinking:

If it's just a shortcut to PSNow PS3 streaming catalogue that would be lamer than lame and I'll be having words.

That's exactly how it works now. PS Now adds a shortcut to the PS3 game on your PS4 homescreen with your other games.

Interesting. I actually said nuemous times that this will happen with some multiplatform devs. They are free to use the hardware as they wish.
Still would of pushed for a 1080p/60 mode though.

Series S feels like a cowardice option from Microsoft. Like it almost feels like MS felt their most powerful console won't sell well at the price of $499, so lets put a $299 box that people will buy with a severely underpowered tech even compared to current gen aka soon to become last gen that is Xbox One X. Microsoft should've been proud and brave in sticking to a single box that is Xbox Series X

reksveks

Sony's UI team just seems stupid regarding functionality so wouldn't be surprising, I wonder if this is what that hiphopgamer was referring to.

If you are wondering why I am calling them stupid, the fact that you can't distinguish between a ps5/ps4 sku of the same game on the main screen is stupid.

Yoboman

just been called a troll for posting these links that show xsx assassin's creed valhalla with frame rate drops. here are the links it drops to 20fps at some points.

shame wish they would lower the res to give a locked 60fps would be a joke if the xss version has a better frame rate.

I didnt know Vegeta would be voice acting in this

Stuart360

Series S feels like a cowardice option from Microsoft. Like it almost feels like MS felt their most powerful console won't sell well at the price of $499, so lets put a $299 box that people will buy with a severely underpowered tech even compared to current gen aka soon to become last gen that is Xbox One X. Microsoft should've been proud and brave in sticking to a single box that is Xbox Series X
Who knows what they were thinking. Regardless of what Phil says publicly, i dont believe they feel they can outsell PS5, so the thinking was probably 2 consoles, one for the more hardcore crowd, and one for mums to buy for their kids, or the people that only buy 2 or 3 games a year.

As for the power, i think XSS can match the OneX. Its cpu is way better, and RDNA2 is about 30% more efficiant than GCN right?, so the XSS gpu should be very close to the OneX.

Maybe but I feel like they would be saving that for the summer, we still haven't seen gameplay from HFW so I wouldn't be surprised if the VGA's close with a gameplay trailer for HFW running on PS5. If GoW2 really is a PS5 exclusive and the graphics are as "jaw-dropping" as it's being rumored, they would probably save a huge reveal like that for June. But hey, maybe I'm wrong and we get HFW gameplay AND a small cinematic teaser at most for GoW2, I ain't complaining.

Regarding the posts, if you click on the "POC" hashtag every game developer is doing it, not just the ones from SSM.

Is there some special diversity day in the US this week? Alot of this bullshit has been common this week.
Who cares if you are a next generation jurassic permian carboniferous cubic meter indian american primate? Just be talented, work hard and that's it. You will be appreciated.

ZywyPL

Banned
As for the power, i think XSS can match the OneX. Its cpu is way better, and RDNA2 is about 30% more efficiant than GCN right?, so the XSS gpu should be very close to the OneX.

I'm interested to see X1X vs XSX comparisons the most TBH, because really, CPU is leaps and bound better than Jaguar, so is the SSD, the GPU technically should be just as efficient, with addition to RT, VRS, SFS etc., the console has a great chance to be the dark horse of next-gen IMO.

Stuart360

I'm interested to see X1X vs XSX comparisons the most TBH, because really, CPU is leaps and bound better than Jaguar, so is the SSD, the GPU technically should be just as efficient, with addition to RT, VRS, SFS etc., the console has a great chance to be the dark horse of next-gen IMO.
I think OneX vs XSS comparisons will be hard, because the OneX is basically running XB1 games at 4k, or close to it. While the XSS, in theory, will be running the same graphical settings as XSX, but at a lower resolution. I think you will often find resolutions much higher on OneX, but XSS having better graphical settings, and sometimes double the framerate.

kensama

Does someone think we can have Infinity cache on PS5 APU?

As it seems Infinity required a GPU above 2.0 Ghz (same as on PS5) and required 16 Gb GDDR6 with a 256 bits bus (same as on PS5):

Cx9ovHI.png

0FSWPNU.png

And as far as i remember in the PS5 tear down we don't see the APU architecture:

Did you think this is possibility?

jonnyp

According to the blurb about that drive it’s Gen 3 including its contoller - the SSD controller is on the SSD.

Not that it necessarily matters but that’s not a gen 4 drive.

Ok, sorry, I read someone say the Phison controller was Gen 4.0 but the rest was not.

As it seems Infinity required a GPU above 2.0 Ghz (same as on PS5) and required 16 Gb GDDR6 with a 256 bits bus (same as on PS5):

Cx9ovHI.png

0FSWPNU.png

And as far as i remember in the PS5 tear down we don't see the APU architecture:

This has been discussed multiple times and it has been debunked multiple times. It does not have Infinity Cache. No, just no. Stop it. It’s dead, jim.

sncvsrtoip

Cx9ovHI.png

unfortunately no infinity cache in ps5

Last edited:

Mahavastu

the game are running at the same resolution and FPS than PS4 and Pro. If they are unlocked or dynamicsl res, PS5 boost the framerate and max the resolution. Boost mode is only for patched games (no all patches will support boost mode).
As you can see in a lot of youtube videos most PS4 games are running in boost mode on PS5, which means they can reach better performance than on PS4.
A PS4 game does NOT need a patch for boost mode
Boost mode is on the CPU/GPU level. Even if you do not see a difference (like for example in Horizon Zero Dawn), the PS5 still runs in boost mode.

You are seeing that increment, because CPU is over 2x more powerful at same frequency than Jaguar, GPU is near of 2x efficiency at same TFLOPS. Boost mode probably we are seeing only on some games such as GOT or Days Gone
If the CPU runs with much better performance then on PS4, then it is boost mode. Otherwise the CPU+GPU would run with the same performance as the PS4. A PS4 game does NOT need a patch to run in boost mode.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Ok, sorry, I read someone say the Phison controller was Gen 4.0 but the rest was not.

The phison controller is on the external SSD.

As far as I know there isn’t a contoller on the Xsex SOC or PCB - the contoller is on the WD internal SSD. That’s the WD spec anyway.

So I think we should think of the Xsex as accepting an SSD just like a pc would. The board in the Xsex is capable of PCIe4 but they’ve put a PCIe 3 SSD in one slot and a gen 4 in the other (if you buy the external expansion).

I doubt this makes any performance difference in any practical sense. Just interesting they went that way. The internal WD drive claims to be Max 2.4GB/s - I don’t know if that can be sustained per the MS throughput specs. It also says it’s 400TBW.

As a 1TB drive it is predicted to be rewritable 400 times in its “warranted life” of 5 years. Or to put it another way 200gb per day of writing for 5 years.

Interesting specs - I wonder if Sony will publish similar data or if it can be determined from the chips ...

EDIT : Sustained performance on sequential read is < 2GB/s for this drive according to benchmarks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom