• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does someone think we can have Infinity cache on PS5 APU?

As it seems Infinity required a GPU above 2.0 Ghz (same as on PS5) and required 16 Gb GDDR6 with a 256 bits bus (same as on PS5):

Cx9ovHI.png

0FSWPNU.png

And as far as i remember in the PS5 tear down we don't see the APU architecture:

Did you think this is possibility?

No. It doesn't need to anyways as it has a solid cache system with (very probably) unified L3 for the CPU, good amount of L2 cache for the GPU (by tflops) + cache scrubbers. Those things will reduce main ram bandwidth accesses.

Not debunked but it's been predicted by smarter people than me that it's extremely unlikely to be 'infinity cache' as we are seeing on RDNA2 cards due to the fact the APU doesn't have enough space to do so, it might have a larger L3 cache though.

There is some kind of cache there apparently, according to RGT who is reliable iirc. Moore'sLawIsDead said its IC. It could do a similar job but be called something else. We'll need to wait and see.

user1337

Jackfrags (gaming youtueber) has a dedicated gigabit internet line from his house to the actual broadband exchange and he pays around £750 (almost $1000) a month but it allows him to stream his live gameplay in full 4K 60 FPS on Youtube, it's insane considering the poor broadband infrastructure in the U.K especially in rural areas.

That's crazy price. I know I can get gigabit connection for £50-60 in a major city.

kensama

Here:

Also, using basic logic. There is no NDA anymore, since AMD revealed anything. They would told anyone already. Anyway, this does not matter at all in a few days, when we will have some teardowns, then you can see it yourself.

WTF this is your debunk clue?
Hope you are joking?
And no NDA are not lift on Sony's side. We don't have a complete view on PS5 APU like on XSX APU with Hotchips.
For now we don't know yet all custom performed by Sony unless you have proof of oposite.

reksveks

There is some kind of cache there apparently, according to RGT who is reliable iirc. Moore'sLawIsDead said its IC. It could do a similar job but be called something else. We'll need to wait and see.
Yeah, time will tell. To me, I only really care about the results though.

That's crazy price. I know I can get gigabit connection for £50-60 in a major city.
Hyperoptic yeah is 60 a month and 40 on specific offer, need to fake them and pretend that I am going to cancel but BT is so shit.

reksveks

Not sure who these people are, or what the context is? Seems to be an Xbox discussion???
There was apparently some space on the XSX APU that was unaccounted for, LeviathanGamer is a computer engineer and is really good to follow if you want to understand how to build an APU and all of the stuff around next-gen.

So happy about the PS5 remote play app that is appearing on PS4's. Was really hoping this would be possible as I am keeping hold of my current PS4 to put in the spare room / office whilst the PS5 replaces it in the living room. Means I can stream PS5 games to the PS4 now if my partner is taking up the living room TV.

Jackfrags (gaming youtueber) has a dedicated gigabit internet line from his house to the actual broadband exchange and he pays around £750 (almost $1000) a month but it allows him to stream his live gameplay in full 4K 60 FPS on Youtube, it's insane considering the poor broadband infrastructure in the U.K especially in rural areas.

Hell even in urban areas. I live in central Bristol and have to rely on 5G for my internet since there's no fibre or Virgin media to my block of flats.

Last edited:

vkbest

If the CPU runs with much better performance then on PS4, then it is boost mode. Otherwise the CPU+GPU would run with the same performance as the PS4. A PS4 game does NOT need a patch to run in boost mode.

Nope, Ryzen at 1.6ghz is 2x or 3x more powerful than 1.6ghz Jaguar. RDNA2 is near at 2x more efficient than PS4 GCN.

Boost mode = GPU at 2.26ghz and CPU at 3.5

Last edited:

FranXico

Not sure who these people are, or what the context is? Seems to be an Xbox discussion???
IC on PS5 is highly unlikely, due to the die size. Such a large cache would have made it much larger than it appears to be. Very unlikely. Most one could hope for is about 8MB shared cache. The distribution of shaders arrays among CUs in the PS5 is already quite efficient as it is.

The most reasonable assumption is that neither console has IC. Even though I think they would benefit from such a fundamental pillar of RDNA2 architecture. It is what it is, though.

geordiemp

There was apparently some space on the XSX APU that was unaccounted for, LeviathanGamer is a computer engineer and is really good to follow if you want to understand how to build an APU and all of the stuff around next-gen.

It is accounted for, just people dont know how to add up SRAM in a APU.

There is no big L3 cache on either console.

The question is, what is infinity cache ?

If Infinity cache is justa big L3 that assists bandwidth, then neither console will have this.

If Infinity cache is sharing L1 and optimising cache misses through coherency, scrubbers and data sharing. then Ps5 we know does some of that already.

Infinity cache is a marketing term, there are 2 things at play here, L3 for memory bandwidth and optimising L1/L2 for cache misses.

Last edited:

reksveks

It is unaccounted for, just people dont know how to add up SRAM in a APU.

There is no big L3 cache on either console.

The question is, what is infinity cache ?

If Infinity cache is justa big L3 that assists bandwidth, then neither console will ahve this.

If Infinity cache is sharing L1 and optimising cache misses through coherency, scrubbers and data sharing. then Ps5 we know does some of that already.

Infinity cache is a marketing term, there are 2 things at play here, L3 for memory bandwidth and optimising L1/L2 for cache misses.
Sorry, in your first line, do you mean 'accounted for'?

Oh, yeah it's a definitely just a marketing term. that's why fundamentally like on PC, I end up just caring about the end results.

Last edited:

onesvenus

So there it is, no RT on Demon's Souls. They removed the RT mention from the blog, it seems someone screwed it up when writing this entry. But as we have seen, the game doesn't really need it to look impressive.
k8hjBcY.png
Should I make a list of everyone that told me I was making things up when I talked with the Spanish journalist who did the interview where it was said there was no RT?
And what about the ones that were saying that dynamic lighting and shadowing could only be done with RT?
And the ones who said the speech-to-text transcription was obviously wrong?
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Loxus

Does someone think we can have Infinity cache on PS5 APU?

As it seems Infinity required a GPU above 2.0 Ghz (same as on PS5) and required 16 Gb GDDR6 with a 256 bits bus (same as on PS5):

Cx9ovHI.png

0FSWPNU.png

And as far as i remember in the PS5 tear down we don't see the APU architecture:

Did you think this is possibility?

I've been theorizing this for sometime.
If PS5 uses Infinity Cache, it would mostly be a cut down version.
There was a tweet the other day that said Infinity Cache is more dense than Zen 2 L3 Cache.
PS5 may very well have 64MB @ 43.3mm2 or 32MB @ 21.65mm2 or even 16MB @ 10.83mm2.
xnfZPan.jpg

Many where saying the PS5 448GB/s Bandwidth and 256-bit Memory Bus wasn't enough.
But if Mark Cerny incorporated Infinity Cache, which gives a 3.25x Effective Bandwidth.
That would give the PS5 an Effective Bandwidth of 1456GB/s, which is insane.
So maybe Infinity Cache Effective Bandwidth scales with size.
E.g.
128MB adds 1152GB/s
64MB = 576GB/s
32MB = 288GB/s
16MB = 144GB/s and so on.

So if the PS5 uses 32MB of Infinity Cache @ 21.65mm2,
448 + 288 = 776GB/s of Effective Bandwidth, which seems about right for next gen.
Also, this 32MB of Cache might be shared with the whole system (GPU+CPU+I/O), like how the 16GB of GDDR6 is shared which the CPU and GPU.
Thus, saving space.

This is just my thoughts, so don't take these configurations too seriously.

kensama

There was a tweet the other day that said Infinity Cache is more dense than Zen 2 L3 Cache.
PS5 may very well have 64MB @ 43.3mm2 or 32MB @ 21.65mm2 or even 16MB @ 10.83mm2.
xnfZPan.jpg

Many where saying the PS5 448GB/s Bandwidth and 256-bit Memory Bus wasn't enough.
But if Mark Cerny incorporated Infinity Cache, which gives a 3.25x Effective Bandwidth.
E.g.
128MB adds 1152GB/s
64MB = 576GB/s
32MB = 288GB/s

448 + 288 = 776GB/s of Effective Bandwidth, which seems about right for next gen.
Also, this 32MB of Cache might be shared with the whole system (GPU+CPU+I/O), like how the 16GB of GDDR6 is shared which the CPU and GPU.
Thus, saving space.

I just can agree with this thought

xnfZPan.jpg

E.g.
128MB adds 1152GB/s
64MB = 576GB/s
32MB = 288GB/s

Thus, saving space.

PS5 most probably won't have infinite cache. RGT also confirmed this recently. It's dead. But it will have others things that will help with the bandwidth on the main ram.

Lysandros

Who knows what they were thinking. Regardless of what Phil says publicly, i dont believe they feel they can outsell PS5, so the thinking was probably 2 consoles, one for the more hardcore crowd, and one for mums to buy for their kids, or the people that only buy 2 or 3 games a year.

As for the power, i think XSS can match the OneX. Its cpu is way better, and RDNA2 is about 30% more efficiant than GCN right?, so the XSS gpu should be very close to the OneX.
There is the little matter of RAM bandwidth; 326 GB/s for One X compared to 224 GB/s (8 GB)-56 GB/s (2 GB) for XSS.

Loxus

PS5 most probably won't have infinite cache. RGT also confirmed this recently. It's dead. But it will have others things that will help with the bandwidth on the main ram.

If your talking about this video, he says this is not one of his verified sources and not to take it as confirmation of features.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Gamereactor review on Xbox Series X:

It seems dynamic 4k
Pop-in
Screen Tearing
This is why temporal injection, checkerboard rendering and dlss like technologies are important.
You have almost the same picture quality but less demanding and less perceived drop in resolution.It can allow a a smoother gaming experience with more graphical features.
Though I wonder how effective it is with RT and if it can be applied only on RT reflections for example to lower its cost.

Curious on how it Will run on ps5, and how it will use 3d audio and dual sens, raids with those features can make it exciting and special

Tho will Def skip if pop in and Screen tearing will be a thing, specially the latest.

It will not support any DS features though:

Then there’s Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla, which won’t have raytracing but will run at 60 frames-per-second in 4K. There’s no mention of the adaptive triggers or haptic feedback in the DualSense either here, but there is the promise of Tempest 3D Audio support and those fast loading times

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...laying_watch_dogs_assassins_creed_more_on_ps5

Shmunter

Curious on how it Will run on ps5, and how it will use 3d audio and dual sens, raids with those features can make it exciting and special

Tho will Def skip if pop in and Screen tearing will be a thing, specially the latest.
Yeah I don’t get the screen tearing, use more aggressive dynamic res for crying out loud.

Mr Moose

Last edited:

PSX

What? Did you get a second email confirming shipping? I only got the initial registration one claiming I’ll get it if I qualify or some shit. Did I not qualify??
No just try another link, I remember one was broken I found out you have to get it from certain region I live in US and someone tweeted and it worked for me.

check twitter links

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom