• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Should I make a list of everyone that told me I was making things up when I talked with the Spanish journalist who did the interview where it was said there was no RT?
And what about the ones that were saying that dynamic lighting and shadowing could only be done with RT?
And the ones who said the speech-to-text transcription was obviously wrong?
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
FluffyEmotionalIbizanhound-small.gif

SSfox

It will not support any DS features though:

Then there’s Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla, which won’t have raytracing but will run at 60 frames-per-second in 4K. There’s no mention of the adaptive triggers or haptic feedback in the DualSense either here, but there is the promise of Tempest 3D Audio support and those fast loading times

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...laying_watch_dogs_assassins_creed_more_on_ps5

Oh well that sucks, maybe will later with update? but now knowing this i'm def not spending more than 15 bucks on this game.

base

Banned
There is some local controversy in my country at the moment. According to one of tge biggest webshop in the country they will be not getting enough ps5s for the release because some are having mainboard defects.

chilichote

I've been theorizing this for sometime.
If PS5 uses Infinity Cache, it would mostly be a cut down version.
There was a tweet the other day that said Infinity Cache is more dense than Zen 2 L3 Cache.
PS5 may very well have 64MB @ 43.3mm2 or 32MB @ 21.65mm2 or even 16MB @ 10.83mm2.
xnfZPan.jpg

Many where saying the PS5 448GB/s Bandwidth and 256-bit Memory Bus wasn't enough.
But if Mark Cerny incorporated Infinity Cache, which gives a 3.25x Effective Bandwidth.
That would give the PS5 an Effective Bandwidth of 1456GB/s, which is insane.
So maybe Infinity Cache Effective Bandwidth scales with size.
E.g.
128MB adds 1152GB/s
64MB = 576GB/s
32MB = 288GB/s
16MB = 144GB/s and so on.

So if the PS5 uses 32MB of Infinity Cache @ 21.65mm2,
448 + 288 = 776GB/s of Effective Bandwidth, which seems about right for next gen.
Also, this 32MB of Cache might be shared with the whole system (GPU+CPU+I/O), like how the 16GB of GDDR6 is shared which the CPU and GPU.
Thus, saving space.

This is just my thoughts, so don't take these configurations too seriously.

I can remember some rumors that put the bandwidth in the 500GB/s range and even one that said the PS5 has something with 700GB/s. And 16 or 32MB IF would fit that.

Sure, these were just rumors, but suddenly we can speculate about it simply because IF gives us the opportunity to do so.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

The drive looks like it's M key so it's set to use x4 lanes of PCIe Gen3. Either the design changed after those slides were prepared for Hotchips, or they were wrong from the beginning.
Couldn't the Xbox motherboard use PCIe Gen4 x2 to connect the SSD to the SoC but the drive itself be PCIe Gen3 x4?

PCIe Gen4 motherboards for PCs support Gen3 drives.

We know the Seagate Expansion Card uses Gen4 x2 and at Hotchips they said each drive uses 2 lanes of Gen4.

And PCIe 3.0 x4 = 3.5 GB/s max, same as PCIe 4.0 x2 = 3.5 GB/s. So speed wise they'd still be able to get their 2.4 GB/s.

LucidFlux

There is some local controversy in my country at the moment. According to one of tge biggest webshop in the country they will be not getting enough ps5s for the release because some are having mainboard defects.

Check the update in the article:

the official position of x-kom from the press spokesman of the store, Kamil Szwarbuła:

"I am totally surprised by this information, I honestly don't know where our employee got it, we will explain it. So far, there hasn't been even a single PS5 in our warehouse, so there's no question of sending anything back to the manufacturer. The fact is that we will not ship the PlayStation 5 consoles on the day of launch. This is due to a global problem with the availability of these consoles on the market and I do not know the reasons for this..."

kyliethicc

That Phison controller is on the external drive. Right?
Yup. The Seagate Expansion Card SSD is PCIe Gen4x2 and 2.4 GB/s. Phison controller, SK Hynix NAND. No DRAM. 1 TB. 3 year warranty. TBW unknown. Actually "custom" because it was made for the Xbox.

The XsX internal SSD is just a stock Western Digital SN530 M.2 22x30 PCIe Gen3x4, 2.4 GB/s. San Disk controller, San Disk NAND. No DRAM. 1 TB. 5 year warranty. 400 TBW.

Last edited:

leizzra

It's already proven false. X-kom will not have any PS5 (they aren't official Sony partner) so one of their workers tried to covert up this fact with this lie.

Last edited:

FrankWza

So lemme guess some release months

Ratchet - February or March
Returnal - April or May
GT7 - May or June
Horizon - September or November
God of War 2 - early 2022

Swap horizon and GT7 and GoW2 December 21. You want space between TPA games and GT won’t step on GoW at all and vice versa.

Allandor

Does someone think we can have Infinity cache on PS5 APU?

As it seems Infinity required a GPU above 2.0 Ghz (same as on PS5) and required 16 Gb GDDR6 with a 256 bits bus (same as on PS5):

Cx9ovHI.png

0FSWPNU.png

And as far as i remember in the PS5 tear down we don't see the APU architecture:

Did you think this is possibility?

No, it is not on the DIE. "Infinity Cache" is a big cache to just "cache stuff". If the Socs would have such a cache, the DIEs would be much bigger. SRAM is easy to manufacture and can be quite compact, but in those dimensions, it would still be quite big. We know the Series X has 76MB of SRAM (with caches, register, ...) and still that is still not big enough.

Last edited:

TheGejsza

It's already proven false. X-kom will not have any PS5 (they aren't official Sony partner) so one of their workers tried to covert up this fact with this lie.

I am curious about other distributors. Got mine from MediaExpert - bought and paid full 23rd september. I asked about confrimations (I want to buy DeS but it's pointless if I would not recieve PS5) and they said I'll get my console on time. Also curious if they will be releasing anything earlier - would be wise to start giving out consoles earlier than to have a bunch of ppl in front of shop.

ethomaz

Banned
I agree with these saying GoW is a Feb/March 2022 release.
It is the next-fiscal year but at the very end (Sony always have a strong last quarter).

ethomaz

Banned
Its new console WEEK!!!

After hearing about these machines for so long its here.

Enjoy these new machines guys as I fear this thread will get closed but its been an epic thread.

Still miss Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem in here though
I don't believe mods really wants to lock this thread because it alleviate the ban posts on normal threads... it basically a meta thread today.

Last edited:

duhmetree

GoW and Horizon out on Holidays 2021 would be massive for Sony. That would sell like hot cakes. PS5 supply should not be an issue by then

Last edited:

LucidFlux

Quick Resume on Xbox Series X loads Assassin's Creed Valhalla gamplay in under 6 seconds from dashboard.

Man I love how snappy QR is. It'll be a while before I pick one up but it's seriously impressive.

I'm curious, do we know or have a guess of how much SSD space QR eats up?

BGs

Industry Professional
How unfair life is, lucky all those who will have a PS5 in their house before I have one in mine. For having I will not have at home for a few weeks or the VR adapter that many already have.

Thanks Europe.

But hey... nothing happens. I'm fine...

I'm fin... I'm a f****** developer! S***! I s*** on the f****** mother that gave birth to you and all your d***, you b*******! AHHHHHhhhhhhhhh...!

giphy.gif

But...

giphy.gif

Only just a few more days.

Just kidding.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Its new console WEEK!!!

After hearing about these machines for so long its here.

Enjoy these new machines guys as I fear this thread will get closed but its been an epic thread.

Still miss Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem in here though

Mod of War: Remastered Mod of War: Remastered

Any plans for the end of thread criteria? Perhaps a little party?

First DF multiplat comparison? Launch day +1? PS5 APU X-ray?

Or just let it fade away?

ethomaz

Banned

PS5 is way lighter than people keep posting.

PS5: 4.5kg
PS5 DE: 3.9Kg

Edit - I believe the expansion SDD not being ready is due Sony doesn't having SSDs in the market to test and see if it works to play PS5 games... they need to benchmark the SSDs on PS5 to see if it will be enough to play PS5 games but there is a lack of options in the market yet.

Last edited:
Here:

Also, using basic logic. There is no NDA anymore, since AMD revealed anything. They would told anyone already. Anyway, this does not matter at all in a few days, when we will have some teardowns, then you can see it yourself.

1)I don't think PS5 use infinite cache as RDNA 2 use in PC, is just my opinion
2)Guys you really doesn't understand how a NDA works
3)A random tweet is not a confirmation

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Because it's bad? I mean, at least show that you care! Re-print the chip data with the new name!
It's strange, because new consoles have USB 3 Super Speed and old console does not have that?

However technically USB controller can be pretty small chip on PCIe bus...

Last edited:

Hashi

Thats fake :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

THE:MILKMAN

Yup. The Seagate Expansion Card SSD is PCIe Gen4x2 and 2.4 GB/s. Phison controller, SK Hynix NAND. No DRAM. 1 TB. Actually "custom" because it was made for the Xbox.

The XsX internal SSD is just a stock Western Digital SN530 M.2 22x30 PCIe Gen3x4, 2.4 GB/s. San Disk controller, San Disk NAND. No DRAM. 1 TB.

So the WD SN530 must also be customised to use a PCIe Gen4 controller (like the Phison E19T in the Seagate external) then as 2 lanes at Gen3 speed would cap it out at 1.75GB/s which tests show isn't the case?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Dunno what to say. If true, it's shody work. If false, it's FUD :)
Southbridge technically can be there just for the security of busses and stuff, we probably gonna have to wait till the end of the gen for that security microsoft convention about xbox, which they do always after some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom