• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rea

Watched the video, it's great although the ending was a little strange. Richard mentioned that Microsoft claiming "Series X" has full RDNA 2 integration would not have made it past the AMD legal team if it had not been true, but he added that if RDNA 2 features are missing from the PS5 how would it impact the gaming? I'm a little annoyed that they're still entertaining these narratives and yet still complain because they get harassed by toxic fanboys on either side. But judging by Richard's wording and tone he seem's to be implying that the "full RDNA 2 integration" of the Series X matters little when it comes to gaming vs the PS5.

I'm still think RedGamingTech is on the money when he stated that the PS5 was RDNA 2 based but Sony removed certain features because they felt it wouldn't benefit the console and instead added in their own customisations like the Geometry Engine, cache scrubbers and such. It's directly in line with what Mark Cerny mentioned in the Road to the PS5 talk, that being said I'm actually find the whole "full RDNA 2" discussion very tedious.

Lots of people confuse with AMD'S RDNA2 ARCHITECTURE and DX12U features, take a look at these 2 pictures i cropped from Amd website,

Oi5gNw2.jpg

This is a RDNA2 features

Oo8uxmc.jpg

This is Microsoft DX12U features,
Ps5 doesn't use DX12U, but it's using its own API, PS5 stripped infinity cache from RDNA2 and added GPU cache scrubbers in its place, Ps5 is using their own custom GE for equivalent performance to DX12U, maybe even perform better than DX12U. That's why both consoles are Custom RDNA2 not featuring full RDNA2, i still don't understand why Richard is still keep emphasizing on ps5 not being full RDNA2 but Series x being full RDNA2.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Na
Ouch for that no upgrade recommendation from ArsTechnica to PS5 for existing PS4/PS4 Pro users.

1pSK6XR.jpg
Nah, not a big deal. I mean, from a purely consumer perspective...not a TON of new, innovative games available yet, so.....fine...hold off for a bit. Good advice anyway as the average consumer probably won't even be able to FIND one to buy any time soon. That's all they mean and that's definitely a valid argument. It's all us geek-fans that are buying these boxes right now, just knowing that tons of games WILL be available later.

FrankWza

So the Xbox Series X/S does not have any sort of custom SSD. Its literally an off the shelf PC part, a Gen3 M.2 drive from WD.

Which means... because its a M.2 2230 form factor... we can actually put the Xbox SSD inside the PS5 expansion bay.

Of course it won't work because its 1) way too slow and 2) the expansion bay doesn't work yet lol
I look at it like this:
The x drive is tailored to fit. Like if you buy a suit off the rack. You still need it hemmed and taken in here or let out there. So it’s customized or tailored to fit you.
The PS5 drive is bespoke suit shopping. You go to a suit maker. He takes all your measurements. Then he makes you a cappuccino and you start picking out fabrics and the so on. Then the suit is made for you.
One suit fits you, the other was made JUST for you. ;)

So there it is, no RT on Demon's Souls. They removed the RT mention from the blog, it seems someone screwed it up when writing this entry. But as we have seen, the game doesn't really need it to look impressive.
k8hjBcY.png

Well there it is. At least they cleared this up. Regardless the game looks great and that hasnt changed since the first time that we saw it.

They need to do a better job with the messaging.

LiquidRex

Lots of people confuse with AMD'S RDNA2 ARCHITECTURE and DX12U features, take a look at these 2 pictures i cropped from Amd website,

Oi5gNw2.jpg

This is a RDNA2 features

Oo8uxmc.jpg

This is Microsoft DX12U features,
Ps5 doesn't use DX12U, but it's using its own API, PS5 stripped infinity cache from RDNA2 and added GPU cache scrubbers in its place, Ps5 is using their own custom GE for equivalent performance to DX12U, maybe even perform better than DX12U. That's why both consoles are Custom RDNA2 not featuring full RDNA2, i still don't understand why Richard is still keep emphasizing on ps5 not being full RDNA2 but Series x being full RDNA2.
It's also believed the PS5 Zen 2 CPU has L3 cache similar to Zen 3.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I have 2gbps up and down. I have plenty of bitrate. What your trying to say I believe is no Streaming service has enough bitrate for live streaming 4K 60fps.
Jackfrags (gaming youtueber) has a dedicated gigabit internet line from his house to the actual broadband exchange and he pays around £750 (almost $1000) a month but it allows him to stream his live gameplay in full 4K 60 FPS on Youtube, it's insane considering the poor broadband infrastructure in the U.K especially in rural areas.

jonnyp

For 2 reasons:
1) by staying true to the current PC lower denominator, there is no real advancement. They are mimicking a PC and that's it.
2) MS has advertised the disk as a Gen4 custom. In the end is a Gen3 Off-the-shelf. The good news is that if you need to change it, as long ad you get the form factor right, you can buy a spare.

1) It's still a very performant system for the price (XSX). So what is the problem? If MS gave up on consoles after current gen then the PS5 would probably have been very different. Whatever you feel about MS' offerings in the console space, you, as a consumer, should be happy they are there to provide much needed competition. You obviously like the PS5 design philosophy and games more. That's great, so do I. I just don't understand the outrage over this.
2) It delivers the promised performance and works in accordance with design. The controller is PCIE4.0 so I still don't understand the issue.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Interesting. I guess that Gavin Moore guy was still under the impression that they were using some form of ray tracing when he gave the first interview, and someone from bluepoint corrected him right after
He would have done all those interviews the same day

Im guessing there was a mix up between real time and ray tracing in the translation

3liteDragon

One thing I don't understand about BC with PS5 is that if a game's FPS is improved compared to how it was running on PS4/PS4 Pro, then it's running at native mode right (36 CUs, 2.23GHz)? Cause if it was running on one of the legacy modes, it would be the exact same resolution and frame rate output.

Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong.

"All of the game logic created for Jaguar CPUs works properly on Zen 2 CPUs, but the timing of execution of instructions can be substantially different," Mark Cerny tells us. "We worked to AMD to customise our particular Zen 2 cores; they have modes in which they can more closely approximate Jaguar timing. We're keeping that in our back pocket, so to speak, as we proceed with the backwards compatibility work."

Ps5 BC mode is not using full power of zen2 cpu, it's using the Jaguar mode for compatibility reason, but Xbox's BC mode is using full power of zen 2 cpu, remember Microsoft said all their BC games will used full power of CPU and GPU of series x. That's one of the reason for slower loading on ps5 for BC games. Nothing to do with I/O. New gen games like Spider-Man MM built from the ground up for PS5 load less than 2 secs.

Edit: Ps5 maybe update it's BC mode via firmware update to take full advantage of the hardware, so it may improve the performance.
Not sure. AC Unity on PS5 runs at 60fps in the same crowded areas (CPU constrained) where the game was running at 20fps on PS4. So it means PS5 CPU is at least 3 times faster than Jaguar CPU (and that's using BC compatibility). We still haven't seen the CPU limit on PS5 in any PS4 games.

Last edited:
One thing I don't understand about BC with PS5 is that if a game's FPS is improved compared to how it was running on PS4/PS4 Pro, then it's running at native mode right (36 CUs, 2.23GHz)? Cause if it was running on one of the legacy modes, it would be the exact same resolution and frame rate output.

I think NXGamer NXGamer (correct me if I'm wrong) said that there would be improvements even in the PS4 profile mode. He talks about it in his BC video.

3liteDragon

And all of them were made today.

:unsure:

The earliest that I'm expecting something GoW related is the VGA awards.
Maybe but I feel like they would be saving that for the summer, we still haven't seen gameplay from HFW so I wouldn't be surprised if the VGA's close with a gameplay trailer for HFW running on PS5. If GoW2 really is a PS5 exclusive and the graphics are as "jaw-dropping" as it's being rumored, they would probably save a huge reveal like that for June. But hey, maybe I'm wrong and we get HFW gameplay AND a small cinematic teaser at most for GoW2, I ain't complaining.

Regarding the posts, if you click on the "POC" hashtag every game developer is doing it, not just the ones from SSM.

Last edited:

Doncabesa

Here it is, it is from a livestream content creator on twitch

Today he is doing the teardown of series S and maybe he will try to put this 1TB ssd from X on Series S

He is live now:

ssd nvme sn530

EmVg0ZQW4AMN7Dk

The Phison controller used with it maxes out at 3750 read and write, it's not the stock WD card but a custom one to take advantage of those speeds most likely. Especially based on the performance we've seen so far.

unknown.png

unknown.png

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Hey guys! I'm Grinchy, and #IamPOnCinPlay! I've been playing videogames for decades and have posted on message boards too. I'm jumping on board this hashtag bandwagon that my company is using to make themselves look good for hiring me in the first place despite my low melanin count and standard gender!

kyliethicc

I look at it like this:
The x drive is tailored to fit. Like if you buy a suit off the rack. You still need it hemmed and taken in here or let out there. So it’s customized or tailored to fit you.
The PS5 drive is bespoke suit shopping. You go to a suit maker. He takes all your measurements. Then he makes you a cappuccino and you start picking out fabrics and the so on. Then the suit is made for you.
One suit fits you, the other was made JUST for you. ;)
Well its literally an off the shelf PC drive. All Xbox did was put it on the board and throw a heatsink on it.

Not really tailored lol. 2230 is not a custom size

The term “people of color” should stop being used. Never liked that term. It encompasses people down to a group which certain groups within that group don’t even match that name. Also wrongly being racially specific.
Yeah, I mean, technically we are all people of color if not we all would be transparent like the juvenile surgeonfish (which looks pretty cool tbh). But this is a little off topic so let's leave it here.
cultured-orangeband-surgeonfish-juvenile-20190112-103654.jpg

Rea

Not sure. AC Unity on PS5 runs at 60fps in the same crowded areas (CPU constrained) where the game was running at 20fps on PS4. So it means PS5 CPU is at least 3 times faster than Jaguar CPU (and that's using BC compatibility). We still haven't seen the CPU limit on PS5 in any PS4 games.
It could be using Jaguar timing with boosted frequency.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Hi, I am SlimySnake. I am a POS. I love bicurious chicks because that means threesome is on the cards. I joined gaf because i hate video games.

No, you need to stand and salute, Slimy...else you'll be deemed an 'enemy of the people' with divisive views. Remember, it's all about tolerance! Tolerance of whatever they say you need to support...but still 'tolerance.' After all, as you see here...these people joined the industry not to make the best games or ensure the best skills were in use, but to spread diversity! You need to respect and support that.

ToadMan

1) It's still a very performant system for the price (XSX). So what is the problem? If MS gave up on consoles after current gen then the PS5 would probably have been very different. Whatever you feel about MS' offerings in the console space, you, as a consumer, should be happy they are there to provide much needed competition. You obviously like the PS5 design philosophy and games more. That's great, so do I. I just don't understand the outrage over this.
2) It delivers the promised performance and works in accordance with design. The controller is PCIE4.0 so I still don't understand the issue.

According to the blurb about that drive it’s Gen 3 including its contoller - the SSD controller is on the SSD.

Not that it necessarily matters but that’s not a gen 4 drive.

ToadMan

There’s an assumption that those improvements in even in base compat games are down to RDNA2 efficiency and more CPU grunt assisting physics.

That’s to say if those games could be patched to higher levels of compatibility they’d be improved further.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom