• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

reksveks

Microsoft definitely care if you're on Xbox or Windows. They make 100% cut on games on Xbox vs 70% from steam, not to mention you give them money for their hardware if you buy an Xbox, but not a PC part.

They know they ain't winning the PC gaming distribution battle anytime soon though. Also they are technically losing money on the Xbox hardware.

The one major reason that they would like an xbox sale is just the platform cut of the in-app purchases of points/sharkbuck/fortnite bucks, which won't happen on PC.

Last edited:
Think Microsoft are indifferent to you buying a xbox console if you are gaming on Windows. In the pc gaming battle, the long-term battle is Linux (aka Stadia and a form of Luna). If you are on PC, the aim for them is whether can they sell you a subscription?
They care, just the fact to able to charge you for play online with gold is it is vitally important
for your finances just as it is for Playstation.

I just watched both and I agree. I didn't see the Polish one originally, but it looks real, like capacitor smoke. The other looks fake like vapor though.
The people is too paranoid, just use you warranty because at least someone buy something from
Nintendo (which needs a lawsuit to even care) the companies will help you with your device.

Any early adopter should know the bad part of be "guinea pig".

Sinthor

Gold Member
leave it to Microsoft to shoot themselves in the foot once again. This time around they had everything going for them. better GPU, faster CPU clocks, more ram bandwidth and they still fucked it up. I dont know why these APIs need to be changed every gen. Are they moving from DX11 to DX12 or something? Shouldnt it be backward compatible?

They have no excuse here. The game should run better unless the PS5 I/O is really something special and is able to bridge the 18% gap in tflops just by eliminating bottlenecks (highly unlikely).

You don't think it likely that a 200% at least speed advantage in I/O could negate enough bottlenecks to make an 18% on paper difference way less or not at all? I dunno. I think that, along with the XSX split memory configuration is exactly why we're seeing the PS5 keep up with the XSX. It makes sense.... If I have a little 250cc motorcycle and you have a Bugatti, I'll still kick your ass around a very turn filled track. If you eliminate the bottlenecks though and go to a straight course...the Bugatti wins every time.

I think it's just a matter of costs and strategy. MS prioritized highest numbers and raw power as they usually do. But to hit the target price, have to make compromises that introduce some bottlenecks and slowdowns. Sony didn't go for the biggest silicon, but focused on eliminating bottlenecks more. So both turn out pretty much equivalent.

I still think there will be some things the PS5 is better at and some others the XSX will be better at. Not too likely to see that at the START of this generation though. More like mid to late when devs have fully figured out both architectures.

Grodiak

I know this topic has been brushed upon before - but since quite a few of you have pulled the trigger on new TV's to complement your box of choice - any initial thoughts on whatever you went with? Looking at Sony's X900H. Assuming Black Friday might bring some sweet deals.

Planning on blitzing for a 85" before the wife realizes what happened. Maybe scratch the sides/back so I can't return it... just to be on the safe side.

Say what you want about the guy, but he was spot on.

Frame20471.png

This is a joke btw, just making fun of Dealer, they are on par with each other.

it's proof that dealer is legit. he was the only one called it :messenger_grimmacing_

ofc just a jk...

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem and all They upload video without compresion to torrent and direct link.

DS on 4k cinematic mode its cracy how look this game.

Sadly, couldn't download it now, maybe it's tanked? Many downloading? I'm very happy that many are getting aware of the importance of 4K screenshots, as many can't see the true image but those stills help a lot to understand the importance of a 4K tv.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Microsoft definitely care if you're on Xbox or Windows. They make 100% cut on games on Xbox vs 70% from steam, not to mention you give them money for their hardware if you buy an Xbox, but not a PC part.
More importantly they get a 30% cut of literally everything on Xbox sold digitally minimum.. and a decent cut of all physical sales from other publishers.. and get a cut of 3rd party accessories, etc.,etc.

Windows store at times has desperately only taken a 5% cut lol.. not even sure where they are at now, but nobody buys anything from Windows Store anyways.

inflation

I know this topic has been brushed upon before - but since quite a few of you have pulled the trigger on new TV's to complement your box of choice - any initial thoughts on whatever you went with? Looking at Sony's X900H. Assuming Black Friday might bring some sweet deals.

Planning on blitzing for a 85" before the wife realizes what happened. Maybe scratch the sides/back so I can't return it... just to be on the safe side.
I would wait til next year if I wish to have proper HDMI 2.1 support. But anyway it's a good TV.

Honka

Neo Member
Do we have any screenshots comparing fidelity and performance mode in Demon’s Souls? I still don’t know whether there are any other differences than the resolution and framerate.

PS5 vs PS4 Pro: one of lime and one of sand

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You don't think it likely that a 200% at least speed advantage in I/O could negate enough bottlenecks to make an 18% on paper difference way less or not at all?
I am open to it, but not entirely convinced just yet. RDNA 2.0's infinity cache shows that raw power isnt everything but that infinity cache is taking up 600 billion transistors or the size of the ps4 pro gpu. the PS5 GPU i/o blocks are relatively small and i really dont think they can make up an 18% difference in tflops.

Good example btw regarding the bugatti vs a motorbike. I guess we will see when more game comparisons start to come out. But seeing as how this is a pretty basic last gen game I think both consoles arent being fully utilized. It should just work better on the console with more tflops and higher ram bandwidth. Thats why I criticize MS more than Capcom. It should just work. Capcom shouldnt have to do much more than they would when making sure the PC version runs on all GPUs.

Nowcry

I am open to it, but not entirely convinced just yet. RDNA 2.0's infinity cache shows that raw power isnt everything but that infinity cache is taking up 600 billion transistors or the size of the ps4 pro gpu. the PS5 GPU i/o blocks are relatively small and i really dont think they can make up an 18% difference in tflops.

Good example btw regarding the bugatti vs a motorbike. I guess we will see when more game comparisons start to come out. But seeing as how this is a pretty basic last gen game I think both consoles arent being fully utilized. It should just work better on the console with more tflops and higher ram bandwidth. Thats why I criticize MS more than Capcom. It should just work. Capcom shouldnt have to do much more than they would when making sure the PC version runs on all GPUs.

I understand what you mean however the difference in FPS when the systems are unlocked you can perfectly appreciate the differences.

I don't think we are just looking at the effect of cache checkers and the IO controller. I think we also look at the split memory of SX and the biggest problem of all, 16/14 CU per shader array.

For me that is the big problem with SX there are CUs that are hardly usable without doing a lot of optimization work. In RDNA1 the problem was already presented above 10 in the 5800XT, and although RDNA2 is much better it is not magic and it presents the same symptoms not so serious but it does present them.

MS knows it However 12 TF sounded great for marketing.

Last edited:

Probably won't eliminate that 18% difference but the real world performance might not appear to be 18% due to other factors. Microsoft is still bragging about the power so I still assume that it's true.

Nowcry

Yeah but the price still below of what should be so we need to wait until we see the real price.
My big problem with the GamePass is that the games remove them. I don't like running to pass the games in case they take them away. I like the service more as the plus that they stay while you have an active subscription.

I do not understand why you have to remove and put games in the gamepass and on the other hand I doubt their benefit for video games and their quality when MS wants to stop losing money.

Nowcry

we know anything about tempest??

Why Tempest is not mencioned?? is not active in DS?

i have a lot expectatives about Tempest :lollipop_anguish:

Last edited:
My big problem with the GamePass is that the games remove them. I don't like running to pass the games in case they take them away. I like the service more as the plus that they stay while you have an active subscription.

I do not understand why you have to remove and put games in the gamepass and on the other hand I doubt their benefit for video games and their quality when MS wants to stop losing money.
same reason. i play games at my own pace. i don't like the idea that the game may leave the service. i know usually games stay on the pass for a year. but still, i have a peace of mind knowing ps plus games will always be available if the subscription is active.

The Rocket League on the PS5 will lag behind the Xbox Series X | S in framerate performance

travisktl

we know anything about tempest??

Why Tempest is not mencioned?? is not active in DS?

i have a lot expectatives about Tempest :lollipop_anguish:
It's active in games. Unfortunately, it just seems like sound isn't as important to people? All reviews of Miles I've seen so far either talk about it for 10 seconds, or just glance over the audio altogether. I'm really hoping that DF talks about the audio more in their Demon's Souls videos. I know John is more of an audio guy.

EDIT: Looks like they just uploaded their first video!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom