• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zadom

I just love games where you can approach a "battle" in different ways and it becomes a bit of a sandbox. Doing stuff like killing off a camp of human baddies by getting a swarm of zombies to attack them is rad.

Or just doing stealth vs. non-stealth and everything in between.
I think a lot of PS5 owners will be surprised by this game because they skipped it last generation and discover it now for free. My favorite game.

RookX22

I just got a email from Solutions2go about a package scheduled for delivery for tomorrow. I haven't been charged by Walmart yet and I haven't seen a update to the package on walmart's website. But Solutions2go is a walmart electronics distributor so fingers crossed.

Reactions: MrS
Given its hardware heavy I/O complex and more than twice faster SSD, PS5 should perform better. That's just one (not very next gen) case but PS5's data throughput continues to puzzle me. Maybe it's less 'automatic' and demands developer effort. Anyway, it's too early to judge let's see what the future brings.
Too early to tell with a game that honestly a glorified backwards compatible title. The Unreal PS5 demo is the best representative of what's possible.

The real benefit of such fast SSD and I/O is the potential effects on RAM. When you can load assets into RAM so quickly, it can change how you utilize RAM. You can have more assets for the GPU to draw and those assets can be higher quality without worrying about RAM size constraints since you can so quickly load in and out. First-party will be utilizing the hell out of this.

Kerlurk

Banned
Looks smooth as butter and that is good, but other than that it doesn't look any more next-gen (or should I say current-gen now) than a lot of ps4 and x1x games.

Twitch streaming is 1080p at most.

When I watch Demon's Souls on my 1080p TV I agree, but when I watch it on my 1440p PC monitor, it's amazing.

Watch at either 1440p or 4K to see the detail in this game.

Last edited:

GAF machine

Where it all began 🤷‍♂️

Yup, the Geometry Transform Engine was the beginning. Official SCE docs say PS1's GTE is a high speed parallel processor that creates graphics data for the GPU, which is basically what PS5's 'Geometry Engine' is rumored to be/do for PS5's GPU.

Initially the GTE could only be programmed via high level libraries provided by SCE which traded high performance for ease of use; but once certain devs started tinkering with it at the low-level to extract greater performance, SCE decided to include the low-level info with the GTE's libraries so that more devs could do the same:

"For us the exciting thing was the combination of a formidable polygon rendering GPU with the special GTE coprocessor that accelerated 3D geometry and lighting."... "The GTE was very powerful once we figured out how to access it at the low-level."... "On the 3D programming side, we had to start from scratch. The first libraries shipped from Tokyo were too high level and so we had to do a little reverse engineering to get the maximum performance from the GTE." -- Dominic Maillinson

"I’m convinced that the purpose behind the libraries was simply to get games out the door months earlier than would otherwise be the case. They certainly didn’t provide any great barrier to people “poking around”. Keep in mind that the libraries weren’t encrypted or anything… any developer could extract all of the object modules from any library and disassemble them using the tools provided to them by Sony. And many developers did just that. In fact, so many developers had reverse engineered the way that the GTE coprocessor worked that Sony eventually decided to simply add the low-level info to the documentation." -- Mike Fulton

The follow-up to the GTE's functionality was Vector Unit 1 (VU1) which fed the Graphics Synthesizer (GS) in PS2....

vu-renderer-lighting-no-animation-vu-renderer-l.jpg

VU1 was ultimately superseded by the six available SPUs in PS3 which were used to do geometry transformation in addition to processing parts of the geometry pipeline for the Reality Synthesizer (RSX)...

rsx-best-practices-l.jpg

using-the-rsx-with-the-spus-l.jpg

using-the-rsx-with-the-spus-1-l.jpg

geometry-processing-pipeline-l.jpg

geometry-processing-l.jpg

The switch from CELL to x86 saw the ~20 years old practice of using exotic high frequency cores on the CPU for geometry processing come to an end; and the practice of using common low frequency (relative to CPU clocks) cores on the GPU for geometry processing begin with the introduction of asynchronous compute...

PS4_SDK_2_34-670x417.jpg

asynchronous-compute-l.jpg

Now it seems SIE has come back to a specialized hardware-based GE that offers low-level programmability (like the GTE of old), with a high degree of flexibility in terms of what aspects of the geometry pipeline it can offload from GPU CUs and process (similar to the SPUs of not so long ago) -- if the dev who contacted RGT is to be believed...

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Yup, the Geometry Transform Engine was the beginning. Official SCE docs say PS1's GTE is a high speed parallel processor that creates graphics data for the GPU, which is basically what PS5's 'Geometry Engine' is rumored to be/do for PS5's GPU. Initially it could only be programmed via high level libraries provided by SCE which traded high performance for ease of use; but once certain devs started tinkering with it at the low-level to extract greater performance, SCE decided to include the low-level info with the GTE's libraries so that more devs could do the same...

"For us the exciting thing was the combination of a formidable polygon rendering GPU with the special GTE coprocessor that accelerated 3D geometry and lighting."... "The GTE was very powerful once we figured out how to access it at the low-level."... "On the 3D programming side, we had to start from scratch. The first libraries shipped from Tokyo were too high level and so we had to do a little reverse engineering to get the maximum performance from the GTE." -- Dominic Maillinson

"I’m convinced that the purpose behind the libraries was simply to get games out the door months earlier than would otherwise be the case. They certainly didn’t provide any great barrier to people “poking around”. Keep in mind that the libraries weren’t encrypted or anything… any developer could extract all of the object modules from any library and disassemble them using the tools provided to them by Sony. And many developers did just that. In fact, so many developers had reverse engineered the way that the GTE coprocessor worked that Sony eventually decided to simply add the low-level info to the documentation." -- Mike Fulton

The follow-up to the GTE's functionality was Vector Unit 1 (VU1) which fed the Graphics Synthesizer (GS) in PS2....

vu-renderer-lighting-no-animation-vu-renderer-l.jpg

VU1 was ultimately superseded by the six available SPUs in PS3 which were used to handle the geometry processing pipeline for the Reality Synthesizer (RSX)...

rsx-best-practices-l.jpg

using-the-rsx-with-the-spus-l.jpg

using-the-rsx-with-the-spus-1-l.jpg

geometry-processing-pipeline-l.jpg

The switch from CELL to x86 saw geometry processing move from exotic high frequency cores on the CPU to common low frequency (relative to CPU clocks) cores on the GPU. Compute Units (CUs) became the new "geometry engines"...

PS4_SDK_2_34-670x417.jpg

asynchronous-compute-l.jpg

Now it seems SIE has come back to a specialized hardware-based GE (like the GTE and VU1 of old) that's highly flexible and programmable (like the SPUs of not so long ago), if the dev who contacted RGT is to be believed...

Yup.

WTF THIS ALL MEAN.

Is this even fucking English? :messenger_grimmacing_

On Demand

Banned
Local game store just arrived today. I guess they forgot it. But it was not opened before.

Sounds like they opened it to check it out then resealed and forgot to put it back in the bag.

I would return it for another one. Im very picky about things like that. I payed for a brand new product, I want everything in intact.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah the controller is supposed to be in a bag.

Never seen a unboxing with a specific holder though.
The package is difference in each region.

My PS4 had way less what I can say protection stuffs inside the box than the american one.
The box and pack were made in Manaus (the console itself was imported).

Well at least it has all the items to works fine.

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

Sounds like they opened it to check it out then resealed and forgot to put it back in the bag.

I would return it for another one. Im very picky about things like that. I payed for a brand new product, I want everything in intact.
You can trust me on this the owner of the store is my friend. Also I closed the box again no way you can open it and let it look like new again. Wasn't opened. The controller also was not touched before at least I would assume it.

LucidFlux

we know anything about tempest??

Why Tempest is not mencioned?? is not active in DS?

i have a lot expectatives about Tempest :lollipop_anguish:
It's active in games. Unfortunately, it just seems like sound isn't as important to people? All reviews of Miles I've seen so far either talk about it for 10 seconds, or just glance over the audio altogether. I'm really hoping that DF talks about the audio more in their Demon's Souls videos. I know John is more of an audio guy.

EDIT: Looks like they just uploaded their first video!

John asks Gavin if they took advantage of the Tempest engine around the 43 min mark.

"that new tempest audio engine, that's an incredible 360 degree sphere that surrounds you, it means we can add a bunch of new sounds into the game to bring those levels alive. You can really feel the world has come alive now....You can feel Boletarian spies creep up behind you... But for me the thing that freaks me out every time, when I get shot by an arrow I can hear it coming and I physically move my body from one side to the other."

Ghost of Tsushima 4K60fps footage, got damn looks glorious. It feels above and beyond even when compared to a game like Valhalla

This might be part of the reason Valhalla looks so bland to me, both the world and combat.

Anyone in U.S. get a pre order update from Walmart yet?

Mine has said "preparing order" for the last few days :messenger_downcast_sweat:

On Demand

Banned
You can trust me on this the owner of the store is my friend. Also I closed the box again no way you can open it and let it look like new again. Wasn't opened. The controller also was not touched before at least I would assume it.

In that case, all is fine then.

kyliethicc

leave it to Microsoft to shoot themselves in the foot once again. This time around they had everything going for them. better GPU, faster CPU clocks, more ram bandwidth and they still fucked it up. I dont know why these APIs need to be changed every gen. Are they moving from DX11 to DX12 or something? Shouldnt it be backward compatible?

They have no excuse here. The game should run better unless the PS5 I/O is really something special and is able to bridge the 18% gap in tflops just by eliminating bottlenecks (highly unlikely).
TFLOPs are not gaming performance.

The PS5 is far better than many think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom