• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tool GIF by memecandy

Wow he's learning how to perform a lobotomy extremely early.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm just curious but you said it was 22GBs before. Where did you see that?

I'm guessing it might be the XSS version but I'm not sure.
Just checked my XSX and there was a weird left over file that got installed to my external drive. Deleted that and the internal storage says 22.2GB.

Sinthor

Gold Member
The NO console future is a pipe dream. Streaming is a good sideshow, but it just ain’t the real mccoy and not the target demographic of AAA gamers like us. And most console gamers don’t generally switch to pc. They buy a console every gen and stick with it.

I totally agree with this. Unless things drastically change, there will be a continuing space for consoles. First on the hardware side- you can't buy a gaming PC rig that will run games as well as the XSX and PS5. Can't do it. MAYBE some will argue they can build their own, but for $500 bucks I don't believe it. So again, unless things drastically change with hardware- no way.

Then with the magical streaming gaming platforms. Those could be cheap enough because you don't need the hardware, right? Hell, it might even work well for some of us, but that's the rub. SOME of us. In the US, still about 50% of households don't even have access to "high speed internet" and you need more than just the low bar of high speed internet. You need pretty decently fast internet and that's not streaming 4k. 4k and beyond? People will need fiber and gigabit internet connections to REALLY dig into streaming that way. Ok, maybe not quite that fast, but pretty darn close. Again as I noted, in the US this is a pipe dream. I know some other countries are a good bit better off as far as high speed internet but it's still just not enough. Sony sells pretty well GLOBALLY, and this is just growing as more countries gain better access to technology. China and India are really set to boom for the gaming market. China may be anti-competitive due to their awful, unethical, authoritarian government, but India is just SLIGHTLY smaller of a market and they are really making advances for their people.

So...I don't think there's anyway that the magic of streaming takes over the gaming world, even in the next 10 years- and that is practically CENTURIES in the electronics world.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Now where have we heard this before? 🤔
Bleh.. You know, in a lot of ways I really wish it WASN'T so easy to get code up and running on PS5. These obvious quick-ports of PS4 Pro titles over, most of which aren't even using the PS5's awesome I/O (Congrats to the Nioh 2 remake for bucking this trend!) are things I could really do without. I'm not playing a "real" PS5 game. The seal-clapping from some for these title irritates me a bit. Of course XSX has some of the same. I guess without that, they'd have way fewer 'series X' titles, but I suspect that Xbox fans aren't really thrilled with these either.

Bro have you seen the fillrate? It's gigantic.

(Ignore the fact that shadow settings simply carried over from the base consoles and that the PS4 obviously has higher settings than the One S)
Correct, and in the same vein, let's also remember other cross-gen games having higher res on the XSX vs PS5 is because they are running at mostly PS4Pro and X1X settings too.

This should restore balance to the force...

64946602.jpg

On Demand

Banned
Microsoft just purchased Zenimax and people are worrying themselves with shadows on Crash 4.

This is a tech discussion thread, not Xbox fanboys thread of circle jerk about studio purchases.

You all overhyped everything what MS does. Nothing tangible has come up since. Keep waiting and hoping.

(Bethesda is way overrated yeah I said it)

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We all channel our inner Biden malarkey with every face off thread for these lazy cross gen patches that just use the last gen specs, but at 60fps which is to be expected with Jaguar vs Zen 2.

It’s not a “larger gpu” it’s not “fill rate” (my fillrate comment was a joke based on “larger gpu” used), it’s just the settings from last gen, framerate boosted more often than not. Noting more.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

This is what Xbox fanboys are hyping up and people wondering about what Sony is going to do. Games that on multiple platforms didn’t sell or move any consoles.

Sony’s lowest rated first party title Days Gone probably outsold all those games combined.

Quality>>>>>>>>>quantity every single time.

sales numbers = quality now eh lol

gaming is in a healthy state, none of these companies (Sony, MS, Nintendo) have anything to worry about.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Games that on multiple platforms didn’t sell or move any consoles.
Half the defenders say this move is about gamepass and the other half say it’s about moving consoles. The only thing Thats certain of is they don’t want the games on PS and maybe Nintendo. They are kind of hitching onto the PC market releasing day 1 to try and vault themselves instead of standing on their own with true exclusives or at least times exclusives. To me, Thats a little brother move that screams contradiction. Of course they don’t
“Need” PS and Nintendo now that they’re piggybacking PC.
sales numbers = quality now eh lol
Well, to paraphrase the many, many, many posts about Msofts deep pockets, you don’t spend 7.5 billion to not look at sales of something. They do want to increase sales somehow with this deal right? More consoles or more gamespass or whatever. However that increase is classified it will come down to them wanting to sell more of something. If they truly don’t care about money they would pull Deathloop and Ghostwire right now. Their first exclusives from this deal are launching on a console that they are doing everything they can to exclude. Next gen exclusives aren’t exactly growing on trees these days so having any is a big deal.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I will entertain this malarkey.

If true, then those contractual obligations will be fulfilled, if MS does not want to fulfill them, then they have to buy the contract out.

It would be the former 99% of the time, rather than the latter. Especially with the fine tooth "antitrust scanning" comb before the EU approved the sale.

Last edited:
This is what Xbox fanboys are hyping up and people wondering about what Sony is going to do. Games that on multiple platforms didn’t sell or move any consoles.

Sony’s lowest rated first party title Days Gone probably outsold all those games combined.

Exactly, Bethesda is totally overrated. That's why Sony bought timed exclusivity for two of their games, and wanted to buy timed exclusivity for Starfield :messenger_winking:

mejin

Benimax is a whole universe of series with no iconic characters. You can identify the helmet guy from Doom, the little poster guy from Fallout or the generic barbarian from Skyrim, for example, but that's it.

Recently, I got my friend triggered cause he showed me this artwork like a trophie.

622544-bethesda.jpg

I just asked who is this bunch of unknown characters.

He replied I perfectly know who they are.

What are their names I insisted.

Meltdown.

ToadMan

Why are you so reasonable?

Well to be honest the Doom games didn’t interest me, I can’t say I’m interested in the Scrolls games - I dabbled in Skyrim but never got into it enough to play seriously - and the only Fallout I played more than a few hours was New Vegas or whatever fallout base game that was spawned from.

Not caring about Zeni games probably puts me in small group on Gaf but judging by the lack of commercial success of a lot of Zeni games the rest of the world agreed...

So for me, the deal is done now let’s see the games - if any come this gen! Anyway until then 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

FrankWza

Exactly, Bethesda is totally overrated. That's why Sony bought timed exclusivity for two of their games, and wanted to buy timed exclusivity for Starfield :messenger_winking:
Who said that? The post you quoted was in the context of sales. What does cherry picking to fill out your release schedule have to do with celebrating a supposed coup of games that were listed as underperforming, sales-wise? And how do you know they didn’t go to Sony looking for cash? I mean, they were purchased soon after, no? If anything, Sony made a pretty shrewd move with 2 extra exclusives tacked onto launch year when games are being delayed left and right due to covid.

Mr_Potato

Banned

Yes, this acquisition is a bit overhyped at this point. And you can't say Jeff Grubb is a Sony undercover fanboy...

Bethesda wasn't exactly setting the world on fire when it was bought out... Major game is Elder Scrolls but it's years away, probably next gen not this one, and as Grubb said, technically the engine is outdated.

Then there's mostly Fallout, if they make a 5th installment, but the last one wasn't stellar.

Last edited:

LiquidRex

Well to be honest the Doom games didn’t interest me, I can’t say I’m interested in the ESO games - I dabbled in Skyrim but never got into it enough to play seriously - and the only Fallout more than a few hours was New Vegas or whatever fallout base game that was spawned from.

Jusging by the lack of commercial success of a lot of Zeni games the rest of the world agreed...

So for me, the deal is done now let’s see the games - if any come this gen! Anyway until then 🤷‍♂️
I have a strong feeling any future ZeniMax titles will be cloud driven. Cloud is where Microsoft see the future of gaming. Won't appeal to everyone...

Edit: https://www.windowscentral.com/zenimaxs-orion-and-how-it-will-boost-xboxs-xcloud-game-streaming-tech

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I will entertain this malarkey.

If true, then those contractual obligations will be fulfilled, if MS does not want to fulfill them, then they have to buy the contract out.

It would be the former 99% of the time, rather than the latter. Especially with the fine tooth "antitrust scanning" comb before the EU approved the sale.
Agree.

Entertaining that tweet, the money just goes to MS now.

🤷‍♂️

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yes, this acquisition is a bit overhyped at this point. And you can't say Jeff Grubb is a Sony undercover fanboy...

Bethesda wasn't exactly setting the world on fire when it was bought out... Major game is Elder Scrolls but it's years away, probably next gen not this one, and as Grubb said, technically the engine is outdated.

Then there's mostly Fallout, if they make a 5th installment, but the last one wasn't stellar.

Why are we believing Jeff Grub? He's been consistently wrong on a lot of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom