• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

FranXico

I know. I just want the hardware and specs all revealed for now so all this can stop and we can move on to talking about facts instead. No more "insider" talk and fake leaks.
It will just turn into gloating based on facts instead of assumptions. It won't really ever stop.

He also said nothing changed about his statement of PS5 > XSX, after he confirmed 12TF Navi for XSX.

What is important to know ( and i also mentioned that devs always get a targets specs earlier ) that devs always know what the target specs are. Just to quote Matt's posts from other forum :

As has been said, information is shared before kits are released, and kits are updated several times before they are finalized.

The targets for these systems are shared early, because developers need to know what to aim for.

I feel like a lot a people in these threads are reading radically different things from “sources” who are generally all saying the same things.

Just because bolded part, regarding rumors, finalized kits or not aren't so important as target specs sheet and that's why we got rumor from Reiner, Moriarty and others.

Last edited:
CEO of AMD saying RDNA TF > GCN TF in Navi conference.

Some random tweet: TF is TF.

Two things can be true at once. A flop is a flop. It is standardized. An architectural change (GCN to RDNA) can yield improvements and still not change what a floating point operation is. The lunacy is thinking that now all of the sudden flops are different. There have been many architectural improvements to processors and GPUs over decades and just now we are all the sudden going to change the definition of a flop? Lunacy.

Fake

Gold Member
Two things can be true at once. A flop is a flop. It is standardized. An architectural change (GCN to RDNA) can yield improvements and still not change what a floating point operation is. The lunacy is thinking that now all of the sudden flops are different. There have been many architectural improvements to processors and GPUs over decades and just now we are all the sudden going to change the definition of a flop? Lunacy.
Over and over people quote saying this. Just read the tweet I answer about. He just make fun of people asking if next gen consoles will be RDNA TF or GCN TF.
They're after improvements, not numbers inself.

Imagine in the other forum people saying the same think as you did, but getting triggred by other people saying seX is 12 GCN... get it?

edit:
Here, good read.

Last edited:

MadAnon

I'm just wondering where were all these insiders before PS4/XBO release with their dev friend leaks? Why did we need some hacker leak the correct information? Suddenly everyone has trusted friends developers who feed them information about console specs?

Last edited:
Why is everyone downplaying the Xbox by being GCN? NAVI is RDNA and it’s been mentioned several times that it uses a NAVI based GPU.

It all depends on how much you want to see the Xbox fail. They will be using 12TF RDNA and not GCN. Why would AMD and Microsoft mention NAVI but not use its main feature?

Last edited:

Fake

Gold Member
Why is everyone downplaying the Xbox by being GCN? NAVI is RDNA and it’s been mentioned several times that it uses a NAVI based GPU.
First because Phil confirmed to be Navi, second because GCN don't support RT as far I know. There are already some benchmarks showing modest boost from RDNA over GCN.

Anyway there are several things in the data that do not add up, the 36 CU and that speed does not match the AMD designs, the absence of RT when confirmed by Cerny, something does not add up.

I'm just wondering where were all these insiders before PS4/XBO release with their dev friend leaks? Why did we need some hacker leak the correct information? Suddenly everyone has trusted friends developers who feed them information about console specs?
It doesnt help when Digital Foundry is saying they believe it and make videos about it

I think it stems from the fact that Phil refused to comment when DF asked if this is 12 Navi tf or not since as DF said “you can achieve 2 times performance of xb1 x with 9.3 Navi TF”. Anyways Phil didn’t comment on it .

but Klee has already confirmed its 12 Navi TF

Can this bullshit about flops just for already. Christ almighty.
Nobody has said or implied that XSX might be GCN. People are merely suggesting that being 2x faster than XB1X ≠ Having 2x the compute (FLOP) performance

iamvin22

Industry Verified
OK then, asking very respectfully (seriously, not being sarcastic) do you happen to have any solid information on PS5 specs?

I think the drama of the last 24 hours went over your head, now you claiming you know for sure that it's going to be 12 v 9.2tf! Present your proof to Mod of War: Remastered Mod of War: Remastered or any other mods, or stop with the bullshit pretending that what you say (what you think) it's the indisputable truth and the real specs of the final consoles.

You too should stop with the drama and come clean with the mods

And there you go again...

There are several that should be banned.

pawel86ck

Banned
For marketing you need to use raw numbers. The navi = this is game dependent. Some better than others. Hell might as well throw in VRS right? If they don't do raw for raw it will be asking for trouble and a law suit for false advertising.
Exactly. I dont remember MS Phil Spencer mentioning architecture gains when xbox x was revealed, he talked only about raw numbers.

On average Navi has 25% better performance in games compared to GCN Vega, but xbox x polaris architecture also have big gains over GCN Tahiti, so Navi should be 40-50% faster in totall compared to standard xbox one.

Aa63wam.jpg

MS dont need 10TF navi to match 8x xbox one, 6.5-7 TF Navi should already provide comparable gaming results. Do people really believe xbox anaconda will be 7TF console?😂😀

SmokSmog

There are two ways why Sony will clock gpu at 2ghz
1. This will be dev kit
2. Sony is scared of xbox sx performance and want to close the gap as much as possible.
2ghz isnt effecient clock for AMD gpus or even Nvidia

Last edited:

MadAnon

People still in here pretending the Shakespare code names are next-gen related even though it was already debunked by rogame as nothing more than AMD tests performed in June/July? (After Devkits had been released)
Yeah, it's only coincidence that PS5 dev kit also has Shakesparean codename Prospero. And AMD obviously isn't deeply involved in the making of the next gen console APUs. No connection, nothing to see here. We are imagining things.

Last edited:

Banned
here is my guess, loosely based on all the leaks and speculations:

Xbox Series S: 5TF, 12GB GDDR6, no disc drive, 300€
PS5: 9.2TF, 16GB GDDR6, 400€
Xbox Series X: 12TF, 20GB GDDR6, 450€ (selling at a considerable loss, trying to get the money back through gamepass subscriptions and Gold)

let's see if I'm Nostradamus 🤣

no matter the specs and prices tho, I'll get the Series X first, because Halo and it will most likely be the more powerful system, and then later the PS5... and maybe a Series S as a secondary system later on for local multiplayer in games with no splitscreen. that's my current setup too, I got a base PS4 and an Xbox One S on my PC monitor, and a Pro and One X on the 4k TV, easy local coop and stuff.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There are two ways why Sony will clock gpu at 2ghz
1. This will be dev kit
2. Sony is scared of xbox sx performance and want to close the gap as much as possible.
2ghz isnt effecient clock for AMD gpus or even Nvidia

3. Ray tracing rays love super high clocks.

Gamernyc78

Banned

Xbox Series X: 12TF, 20GB GDDR6, 450€ (selling at a considerable loss, trying to get the money back through gamepass subscriptions and Gold)

no matter the specs and prices tho, I'll get the Series X first, because Halo and it will most likely be the more powerful system, and then later the PS5... and maybe a Series S as a secondary system later on for local multiplayer in games with no splitscreen. that's my current setup too, I got a base PS4 and an Xbox One S on my PC monitor, and a Pro and One X on the 4k TV, easy local coop and stuff.

This shit again? Loosely based on leaks? You mean your picking and choosing what supposed info you want to be truthful🤔 Sure let's dismiss most of the leaks saying ps5 is more powerful 😂👍

We already knew what you were getting, your posts are very transparent 👀👀

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

I think no disc drive in Series S would be a mistake. Certainly in the EU. One SADE only sold any notable amounts of units at all when sold for €99 around BF.

jonnyp

Why would MS release a "next gen console" that is only slightly better than the One X? I mean, nothing surprises me with MS, but that seems even too stupid for them to do. What is the point of that system?

I really do not understand why Sony would release a 36-40 CU GPU 4 years after a 36 CU PS4 Pro. Makes no sense whatsoever.

I'm expecting minimum a 48 CU GPU., hopefully 52 CUs That leaves AMD with ample room for highend 5800 and 5900 XTs up to 64 CUs for the PC market.

Banned
This user has been removed from thread. Several mod posts have been made to knock off the name calling and console war rhetoric.
This shit again? Loosely based on leaks? You mean your picking and choosing what supposed info you want to be truthful🤔 Sure let's dismiss most of the leaks saying ps5 is more powerful 😂👍

We already knew what you were getting, your posts are very transparent 👀👀

typical fanboys projecting here...

I really don't give a shit, and neither should fanboys like you.
historically speaking the most successful systems and systems people are most fond of each generation have, more often than not, been the least powerful systems of their generation...
NES, PS2, GameBoy, DS, 3DS, Wii, the Switch is on its way too... and even going back to the atari 2600 that was true

Why would MS release a "next gen console" that is only slightly better than the One X? I mean, nothing surprises me with MS, but that seems even too stupid for them to do. What is the point of that system?

because a 5TF RDNA console with 12GB of GDDR6 and a Zen2 cpu would be vastly more capable than an Xbox One X. and if that system is targeting 1080p or 1440p it would be more than enough power to play next gen games with reduced resolution alone.

Last edited:

MadAnon

Rogame, what do you think of it?
Some others on era who also found those documents pointed out that july 2019 is the last time they were modified/saved. They were created in march 2018. So I don't know how accurate is the statement of tests being exactly from june/july timeframe.

You should ask Rogame to elaborate.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
typical fanboys projecting here...

I really don't give a shit, and neither should fanboys like you.
historically speaking the most successful systems and systems people are most fond of each generation have, more often than not, been the least powerful systems of their generation...
NES, PS2, GameBoy, DS, 3DS, Wii, the Switch is on its way too... and even going back to the atari 2600 that was true

We shouldn't, so stop the fanboy bs with your "loosely based on leaks" nonsense when most leaks have been ps5 is more powerful. We've all been on this site reading them.

Shit sounds real good though

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Some others on era who also found those documents pointed out that july 2019 is the last time they were modified/saved. They were created in march 2018. So I don't know how accurate is the statement of tests being exactly from june/july timeframe.

You should ask Rogame about that statement.

So two GPU’s have been around for over a year that are both for PS5, you don’t see a red flag there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom