• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
Hello guys.

I finally decided to put a CFW on my Vita because it lacks YouTube (damm Sony) and I'm mostly using it as a YouTube device for my child... so with CFW I can install an YouTube app.

Wishes me lucky :D

LiquidRex

Fascinating 👍

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Kotaku fell for it

Anyone have a snapshot of the article? Their page is already change with a short "you got me" kind of message.

I'm interested to see if the writer simply posted the fake tweet, or if he ran with it with some editorial and bogus insights.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Their retraction was longer than the original post. lol

Hey, everyone, I am a dumbass. Halo Infinite has not, to Kotaku’s knowledge, been cancelled. We fell for a fake tweet from an in hindsight obviously fake account. (Follower count: 53.) On the eve of April Fool’s. Yes, I realize how this looks. I regret the error. Kotaku regrets the error.

Halo Infinite is planned for release in the back half of 2021.

The next 24 hours:
giphy.gif

You can run ML inference on pretty much any hardware. The big question is whether PS5 has dedicated ML hardware.
The real question was if the PS5 was powerful enough to do it runtime (while displaying 4K DRS 60fps + RT), well yes it can so the dedicated ML hardware point is moot.

Interestingly Xbox PR talk a lot of ML but it is PS5 that is already doing it real-time in current games. We could say the same with RT.

Serouj2000

Wasn't Kotaku also that did the "Chun Li not invited in MK movie" trash piece of article? What a piece of sh** this website is.
Remember, though. Article titles almost never tell the full story. Take for example the articles on Nintendo opting for a direct in 2013, 2014, and 2017 (they didn't seem to care that much in 2015 and 2016 didn't even have one at E3)

Why would you even entertain the idea of playing stadia... on your Xbox????

It’s an enthusiast forum and all that but geez, some people get excited for really inconsequential stuff.

I mean something big like free online play is something to be excited about. But a web browser?

Just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

The real question was if the PS5 was powerful enough to do it runtime (while displaying 4K DRS 60fps + RT), well yes it can so the dedicated ML hardware point is moot.

Interestingly Xbox PR talk a lot of ML but it is PS5 that is already doing it real-time in current games. We could say the same with RT.
That's not the real question since it heavily depends on the workload. Also Xbox does RT just fine :messenger_winking:

Feel free to point out my initial argument.

I think what he's making a reference to are the arguments that many made in this thread.

Basically some people assumed the PS5 wouldn't be capable of any form of ML because it has a custom RDNA2 GPU.

Not saying you made this argument though.

Thirty7ven

Banned
We are now in the "means nothing" phase, "any hw can theoretically do it". Like clockwork.

It was the same with Ray Tracing, remember when people started talking about software/fake RT on PS5? Yeah. Here we are again.

Almost thirty years of console engineering, and some folks still out here pretending Sony is Nintendo when it comes to HW. Props to MS marketing department and their social media team, they really dumbed it down.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I think what he's making a reference to are the arguments that many made in this thread.

Basically some people assumed the PS5 wouldn't be capable of any form of ML because it has a custom RDNA2 GPU.

Not saying you made this argument though.
I think there’s an easy way to discern this.
Does the muscle update work on PS4?
If yes - it’s not using dedicated ML hardware.
If no - it is using dedicated ML hardware.

There’s absolutely no reason it shouldn’t work on PS4 if it only requires general ML.

There’s absolutely no reason it shouldn’t work on PS4 if it only requires general ML.
PS4 might not have enough compute budget to add the muscle update on top of everything else. It's not really a good way to deduce things.

I think the biggest rumor that was proven wrong is that the PS5 wasn't capable of ML at all. As you can see from that thread many believed or wanted to believe that.

Now are there tensor like cores that handle ML? Probably not but there are other ways to do ML.

LiquidRex

So is there difference from Dedicated Hardware ML acceleration and ML running on Hardware (CPU/GPU)

Technically doesn't a part of hardware freedup to run ML acceleration in itself become dedicated hardware for ML acceleration. 🤔 😛

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom