• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling that both consoles will have great looking titles. Gears 5 looks just as good as Returnal and that is current gen vs last.
That‘s subjective. The game also hasn’t been released? That said, just about every console war argument hinges on a subjective take or misinformation.

giphy.gif

The guy is literally looking at the damn game every day, how could he be setting unrealistic expectations?
Because shit's subjective. Some people will forever stay unimpressed by the graphics just because of the art style.

For the record, I find Rift Apart way more impressive than the Demon's Souls remake.

I'm not even messing around but are you actually ok? Like genuinely. None of that is coherent.

Show me where I have made a prediction?

I don't understand this. Predicted Kinect removal in 2021??

I have mentioned the PS4 and PS2, yes, and? I also mentioned the X1 and X360... what is the problem? Have only mentioned these consoles here, with this paragraph:

From the above why do I need to mention the PS3? You're making out I'm hiding something.. what is the insinuation?

Can you show me where I have made a prediction?

Because there hasn't been any.

I've told you many times developers have said issues are going to get worse. Be angry at them.

But you still think it's my 'prediction' when paraphrasing (with links to interviews).

But you don't seem like you are following the discussion at all.

I'm beginning to feel bad as I am sort of starting to suspect something here.. that you might not be ok.
Yeah man I see you have forgotten your predictions about the XSS performance in that other thread are now acting like you made no predictions at all. That's fine. You've never made a point in good faith.

My prediction is that the XSS will get full support this generation and will get improved performance as developers actually use the features of the device just like every other console ever. It is nothing like Kinect which is absolutely ridiculous. I hope you'll be ok when MS has significant success this generation XSS included.

dcmk7

Banned
Yeah man I see you have forgotten your predictions about the XSS performance in that other thread are now acting like you made no predictions at all. That's fine. You've never made a point in good faith.

My prediction is that the XSS will get full support this generation and will get improved performance as developers actually use the features of the device just like every other console ever. It is nothing like Kinect which is absolutely ridiculous. I hope you'll be ok when MS has significant success this generation XSS included.

This should be very easy for you to prove.

Last edited:

Darius87

What are you talking about?I don't mean it in a negative way, I just don't know what you are talking about.
XSX ssd speed ms specifies as 2.4 GB/s raw and 4.8GB/s compressed that's exactly x2 ratio
PS5 ssd speed sony specifies as 5.5 GB/s raw and from 8GB/s to 9GB/s compressed that's is from x1.46 to x1.64 ratio.

XSX ssd speed ms specifies as 2.4 GB/s raw and 4.8GB/s compressed that's exactly x2 ratio
PS5 ssd speed sony specifies as 5.5 GB/s raw and from 8GB/s to 9GB/s compressed that's is from x1.46 to x1.64 ratio.
One is giving theoretical max numbers (that you'll never actually reach in a real game), the other is giving real numbers routinely reached in real conditions.

Last edited:

skit_data

Thats an average, the theoretical peak is higher. Oodle texture increases it even further, at least theoretically.

Edit: Might be worth noting that since this article was written, Epic has aquired RAD and further statements have been made by Sweeney and UE devs on the topic of how closely Sony worked with them when designing the PS5

Last edited:

Darius87

One is giving theoretical max numbers (that you'll never actually reach in a real game), the other is giving real numbers routinely reached in real conditions.
i though that but ms doesn't mention up to 4.8GB/s we should consider same average ratio as PS5 that would give 3.5GB/s to 3.9GB/s that would be more realistic scenario i guess.

Elog

i though that but ms doesn't mention up to 4.8GB/s we should consider same average ratio as PS5 that would give 3.5GB/s to 3.9GB/s that would be more realistic scenario i guess.
It is the system latency that determines how far from the theoretical peak a real world scenario with multiple files end up. I would expect the RW scenario to have a lower ratio on XSX than on the PS5 due to the higher latency. If you look at the infamous Linus Tech video on SSD in a PC, he only reaches even close to theoretical peak under LINUX (since the Windows file system is ancient and slow due to BC requirements) and using one massive file (i.e. to get rid of latency). When he worked with multiple small files and with the Windows file system the actual read speed was only a fraction of that due to system latency challenges.

Latency is the real secret sauce since you want to load individual texture files instantly into (V)RAM - that is the RW scenario that will truly impact how games look.

PS5 compression ratio which you've mentioned is without Oodle texture, just Kraken. With Oodle Texture is from 15 and above ( and around average around 13-15)

Well, i suppose you know that theoretical max on XSX is around 6.

Last edited:

Darius87

PS5 compression ratio which you've mentioned is without Oodle texture, just Kraken. With Oodle Texture is from 15 and above.
i know but that's just for textures i'm talking in general compressing multiple types of data which you can't really compress at x2 ratio loseless.
XSX also woudl give better ratio then x2 for texture compression because it have SFS.

ethomaz

Banned
PS5
RAW: 5.5GB/s
Average compressed with Kraken Lossless: 9GB/S
Theoretical max compressed: ~22GB/s

Series X
RAW: 2.4GB/s
Average compressed BCPack Loosy: 4.8GB/s
Theoretical max compressed: 6GB/s

don't you find that weird XSX can compress x2 ratio and PS5 can't why is that?
Because MS average is using loosy compression with BCPack like for example MP3 that has loss of quality.
PS5 average is Kraken... lossless without any loss of quality.

Last edited:
There is no Vita projects lol
It doesn't receive a game in ages.

C'mon.... I have a Vita and I'm using it as a YouTuber device for my son when I want to watch TV.
No, actually there are games still being released there regularly. Mostly indy afaik, but that is even more painful on the publishers supporting it.
I really hope Sony will keep indefinite access for people to download previously purchased games, i would rage if not.

ethomaz

Banned
People makes some confusion because MS marketing.

BC Pack uses loosy algorithms... there are loss of quality in the final result (the texture will lose quality).
Kraken uses lossless algorithms... there no loss of quality in the final result (the texture quality will be the same)

Kraken should be compared with Zlib on Series X.
BC Pack probably with Oodle on PS5 (that is a guess).

The 4.8GB/s avg. on Series X is using BCPack that have a better compression ration because it discard data making the data less accurate.
The 9GB/s avg. on PS5 is using Kraken that will maintain the exactly original quality from beguiling to end... so it has lower compression ratio.

If you guys wants to understand better it is the same case for MP3 vs FLAC.

MP3 is a lossy format, which means parts of the music are shaved off to reduce the file size to a more compact level. It is supposed to use "psychoacoustics" to delete overlapping sounds, but it isn't always successful. Typically, cymbals, reverb and guitars are the sounds most affected by MP3 compression and can sound really distorted or "crunchy" when too much compression is applied.

Like MP3 before it, FLAC has been embraced by the music industry as a cost-effective way to distribute CD-or-better-quality music, and it doesn't have the auditory problems of MP3s. FLAC is lossless and more like a ZIP file -- it comes out sounding the same when it is unzipped. Previously the only way to get "lossless" files was via the uncompressed CD formats CDA or WAV, but neither is as space-efficient as FLAC.

The comparison was always dumb to me because Kraken and BCPack have different purposes.
BCPack can be used only in assets that can lose quality (mainly textures).
Kraken can be used to everything.

You won't use BCPack for a game binary for example because after the decompression the binary won't work because it lose part of it data but you can compress a game binary with Kraken.
That is a dumb example because game binaries is not that big to need compression but it gives you the ideia.

Last edited:

Darius87

so XSX 4.8Gb/s figure is general compression(zip?) + BCpack compression? and could reach theoretical max 6GB/s because BCpack can compress over x2 ratio and PS5 8GB/s to 9GB/s figure is just Kraken compression.
so if that's the case:
PS5 should be compared against XSX with Oodie texture comp which is 6GB/s vs 17.38GB/s
without texture comp XSX ??? vs PS5 8-9GB/s.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Ratchet and Clank on PS5 renders at a native resolution of 2560x1440 and uses Insomniac's temporal injection to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution.
Do we know what the internal resolution for the new ratchet game is? Or Miles?

btw, i played this last night and man the lighting is so dull. the ps5 version looks sooo much better thanks to the lighting alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom