• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lone Wolf

Of course not thy were forced to change or crumble by the competition. The inside philosophy might still be the same though just dormant and held back due to it not working out previously.
They’ve changed a lot. How can you not see it? This happens to all companies.

Well that wasn't vague or ambiguous at all.

I wanna believe, but practically no one in the twitter replies are even referencing 9.2tflopgate. I have a gut feeling the tweet was a coincidence.

The most important detail to me at this point about Xbox Series X, because I definitely believe it's 12 teraflops RDNA2, is whether Microsoft will allow it to go beyond 300W of power draw under load. If they are, we are talking game changing performance in a console.

Which means it's going to be crazy expensive, but I'm prepared to pay for that kind of performance.

I have a feeling everyone is underestimating the prices of these console by a $100. I can definately see MS launching Series X at $599. Which is fine by me but they better not drop it a $100 a few months after like they did with the OG Xbox & Xbox One.

If I'm gonna pay that price, it better be at least a year before a drop.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Like most companies?

Companies, people, society's,, human species, etc...

Yeah something like that. But if you read the context of my comment you'd see I said thy were conforming but still might have their inner old philosophies dormant but still in place.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
People want the latest PlayStation. It's brand recognition and popularity. It's a household name. Everyone wants in on the hottest product now. These are PS4 and Switch.
The world isn't governed by playstation or the wet dreams of its fanboys. You conveniently ignored the case of the Iphone that I have mentioned. A product much more popular than the playstation if you judge by sales numbers. It turns out people want what they perceive as the the latest "best" product, no matter the market and that perception isn't static. Never has been in any market. When skyrim ran like crap on the PS3 and better on the cheaper Xbox360, people didn't rush to buy "the "latest playstation" regardless.

Reindeer

The world isn't governed by playstation or the wet dreams of its fanboys. You conveniently ignored the case of the Iphone that I have mentioned. A product much more popular than the playstation if you judge by sales numbers. It turns out people want what they perceive as the the latest "best" product, no matter the market and that perception isn't static. Never has been in any market. When skyrim ran like crap on the PS3 and better on the cheaper Xbox360, people didn't rush to buy "the "latest playstation" regardless.
iPhone is not exactly a fair comparison since the reason sales are down is due to iPhone users just keeping their old iPhones as it does almost all the things new ones do. Upgrading a phone generally is less compelling than it ever was. It's also highly unlikely Apple are losing too many of their customers, they just not getting them to upgrade as often. This situation is very different from console market where if you don't buy a new console you will basically not be able to play new games.

FranXico

When skyrim ran like crap on the PS3 and better on the cheaper Xbox360, people didn't rush to buy "the "latest playstation" regardless.
By the time Skyrim came out, the PS3 already cost the same as the 360.
Also, Bethesda code quality isn't exactly a benchmark by which I would measure console performance. Not denying PS3 limitations, just pointing out the bad example.

Dory16

Banned
By the time Skyrim came out, the PS3 already cost the same as the 360.
Also, Bethesda code quality isn't exactly a benchmark by which I would measure console performance. Not denying PS3 limitations, just pointing out the bad example.
You're not addressing the "people always buy playstation" argument because you can't. Good on you to not embrace lost causes.

johnjohn

I've always expected a more powerful/more expensive Series X and a less powerful/less expensive Lockhart with the PS5 in the middle. That makes the most sense.

You're not addressing the "people always buy playstation" argument because you can't. Good on you to not embrace lost causes.
I have to ask why this bothers you so much. People don't always buy PlayStation, but the brand is so powerful - particularly outside of the US and UK - that most people will think of PlayStation (or Nintendo) first when anyone talks about playing video games.

Thedtrain

I've always expected a more powerful/more expensive Series X and a less powerful/less expensive Lockhart with the PS5 in the middle. That makes the most sense.
Think most people would agree that was the logical expectation. Still hurts that Sony won’t hit the double digits though

Dory16

Banned
iPhone is not exactly a fair comparison since the reason sales are down is due to iPhone users just keeping their old iPhones as it does almost all the things new ones do. Upgrading a phone generally is less compelling than it ever was. It's also highly unlikely Apple are losing too many of their customers, they just not getting them to upgrade as often. This situation is very different from console market where if you don't buy a new console you will basically not be able to play new games.
Ok, And the increase in Android phone sales must be just due to demographics expansion. Hang on but following your logic shouldn't people without a contract get an iphone contract first because that's human nature and then get stuck on it waiting forever to upgrade? Oh well.. too complicated. I'm still with you.

Dory16

Banned
I have to ask why this bothers you so much. People don't always buy PlayStation, but the brand is so powerful - particularly outside of the US and UK - that most people will think of PlayStation (or Nintendo) first when anyone talks about playing video games.
Irrational statements placated as some sort of wisdom bother me in every area, not just gaming. "Playstation is very popular" is not an irrational statement. It's not the one I read. You amended and that ends the discussion as far as I'm concerned.

TLZ

Banned
It seems like you're ignoring the fact Androids are more popular than iPhone now, and has been for a good while. You're not even following your own analogy and instead creating a different version of reality. This reality works for everything. Most people follow the latest and the greatest. In phones, that's Android. In consoles, that's PS4 and Switch. Household names are a thing.

The funny thing though is you're accusing others of blind fanboyism when you're practicing it yourself right now. Used the wrong example (iPhone instead of Android phones) to push your narrative. Just accept it. No need to rewrite history.

Umm....you realized launch aligned, PS3 outsold the 360? Despite the fact it significantly more expense for half its life span and consistently had worse versions of 3rd party games (aka, the Skyrim example you provided).

DyXYAenUYAIQCGr.jpg:large

You're inadvertenly countering your own argument lol

Mass Shift

He said it's a custom RDNA chip with some RDNA2 features.

Hmm, we'll see.

VRS and RT aren't simple features that can simply be tacked on either. Honestly, anything like that would be bound to the GPUs pipeline and would be integral parts of the silicon. Not just an after process.

Reindeer

Ok, And the increase in Android phone sales must be just due to demographics expansion. Hang on but following your logic shouldn't people without a contract get an iphone contract first because that's human nature and then get stuck on it waiting forever to upgrade? Oh well.. too complicated. I'm still with you.
Android is growing thanks to the rise of cheap Asian phones that are very compelling due to them having some great hardware for a bargain price. So a new wave of customers appeared that are willing to buy these affordable phones, but Apple is losing nothing here since wouldn't pay premium for an iPhone anyway . There are also tons of very cheap Android phones mainly from Asian manufacturers that attract new waves of customers who wouldn't buy a smartphone otherwise. Anyway, there are too many factors and this isn't the place to discuss this. What I'm basically saying is that videogame console market is completely different to smartphone market and the comparison between the two is hardly fair.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
It seems like you're ignoring the fact Androids are more popular than iPhone now, and has been for a good while. You're not even following your own analogy and instead creating a different version of reality. This reality works for everything. Most people follow the latest and the greatest. In phones, that's Android. In consoles, that's PS4 and Switch. Household names are a thing.

The funny thing though is you're accusing others of blind fanboyism when you're practicing it yourself right now. Used the wrong example (iPhone instead of Android phones) to push your narrative. Just accept it. No need to rewrite history.
My knowledge of the smartphone market isn't deep (don't care enough to research it) but I remember a recent era of complete domination by Apple's iphone, which has started to end in recent years because of better innovations by the competitors and an irritating pricing strategy on behalf of Apple. That was the analogy. Best isn't always the same for everyone forever. Sounds like common sense rather than fanboyism to me but what do I know?

Dory16

Banned
Umm....you realized launch aligned, PS3 outsold the 360? Despite the fact it significantly more expense for half its life span and consistently had worse versions of 3rd party games (aka, the Skyrim example you provided).

DyXYAenUYAIQCGr.jpg:large

You're inadvertenly countering your own argument lol
I was speaking about the year when Skyrim came out and not the years when the PS3 had great exclusives without technical issues (Uncharted, Beyond) and the 360 none at all anymore. Is reading that hard?
The thesis is that the better product will sell regardless of brand loyalty. A PS3 priced the same and with better exclusives (as it was in the last 2 years of the gen) was the better product but it got outsold for many years before catching up. There was a Sony label on it. Smh.

devilNprada

I Phone sales dropped when phone carriers quit giving them out for free.....
Let's please not take things out of context.

xPikYx

Relax this is a speculation thread right? For me that is more realistic than 9 tf machine everybody thinks of. This because you think Sony wants to sell at 399, fom me they gonna sell at 599/699. Ever Seen apple or Samsung selling at cheap price? Sony is no more ps3 sony, is ps4 Sony, they can go higher, plus inflaction. Realistically you can't manage ray tracing and 8k with 9tf,Cerny itself said 8tf is the bare minimum for 4k (at ps4 graphic level) to achieve new graphic level and 8k they definitely need 13/14tf

Thedtrain

There's nothing more tbh, I had two sources (from here btw) tell me both are 50+ CUs, I have no idea how accurate this is. But I think it's plausible. PS5 having only 36CUs makes no sense.
I’m assuming 54cu? Only thing that would make sense with BC in mind the way they’re doing it.

R600

Banned

From Taiwanese message board back in October.

Few other bits :

Oberon - 300mm²
Arden - 350mm²

I doubt thats exact size, probably in relation to one another.

My look into this :

Arden has 320bit bus, Oberon 256bit bus. Difference in size is 16mm².

Arden leaked specs show 20CUs more. 20CUs on Navi arch are 45mm².

I would say, if we follow AMD repo leak and Taiwanese messageboard, Arden would be ~360mm² and Oberon 315mm² IMO.

There's nothing more tbh, I had two sources (from here btw) tell me both are 50+ CUs, I have no idea how accurate this is. But I think it's plausible. PS5 having only 36CUs makes no sense.

I have two sources as well; they're called my left buttcheek and my right buttcheek.

No one's sources can beat mine unless they're hot girl buttcheeks. I'll believe only those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom