• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

FranXico

There's nothing more tbh, I had two sources (from here btw) tell me both are 50+ CUs, I have no idea how accurate this is. But I think it's plausible. PS5 having only 36CUs makes no sense.
I can only think of one source that actually was approved as being in the know by mods. This person hasn't been sharing anything though.

Last edited:

Ovech-King

36cu + 18cu =.....

#14tf #8k #Raytracing #believe
ibqypxxeo2ndlva4bhl.gif

That gif 😂😂😂

chigstoke

Oberon gpu: 36cu+18cu (both previous consoles CU for naximum compatibility) boost clock 2ghz 14.7tf, 3d Audio, full Ray Tracing at 4k@30fps, ps4 games at 8k
Thats just crazy talk though isn’t it?
PS4 games are not going to be running at 8K even at 14.7TF or whatever GPU the system comes with. Don’t underestimate the sheer increase in resolution 4K to 8K is. The sheer GPU power required will be insane. It’s just not possible on a console, next generation or not. We’ll get 8K content like movies but let’s not go expecting games to run at 8K anytime soon.

Reactions: Dim

bitbydeath

Gold Member

From Taiwanese message board back in October.

Few other bits :

Oberon - 300mm²
Arden - 350mm²

I doubt thats exact size, probably in relation to one another.

My look into this :

Arden has 320bit bus, Oberon 256bit bus. Difference in size is 16mm².

Arden leaked specs show 20CUs more. 20CUs on Navi arch are 45mm².

I would say, if we follow AMD repo leak and Taiwanese messageboard, Arden would be ~360mm² and Oberon 315mm² IMO.

Oberon and Arden are one in the same if we were to believe the AMD leaks.
owbFLzp_d.jpg

Even Microsoft themselves wont be thinking they can 'win' next gen, and they dont need to. Playstation has only missed 100mil sales once out of 4 attempts. Imo the very best Microsoft could hope for next gen is a 360/PS3 situation, but after all the negativity surrounding the XB1 this gen, i think it will be more like 60-70mil Xbox and 100+mil PS5.

Yeah, I see that as a best-case scenario for Xbox. In the gaming landscape, there really is no battle between Sony and Xbox. The Sony brand is number 1 and Xbox is behind it. It took Sony fucking up on PS3 and Xbox getting Halo as a cultural gaming moment for them to compete evenly with Sony. I think Xbox's biggest strength is Xbox Game Pass tho. That is probably the future of gaming and catering to PC users with it is a smart move. There is no way tho that Xbox outsells Playstation this gen tho...

xPikYx

Thats just crazy talk though isn’t it?
PS4 games are not going to be running at 8K even at 14.7TF or whatever GPU the system comes with. Don’t underestimate the sheer increase in resolution 4K to 8K is. The sheer GPU power required will be insane. It’s just not possible on a console, next generation or not. We’ll get 8K content like movies but let’s not go expecting games to run at 8K anytime soon.
It is not me saying pr talk about 8k gaming, it's Sony itself. Now I expect that, even if checkboarded

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
arden=XBOX=350mm2

OBR/Oberon=PS5=300mm2

350 > 300

Tag em boys, we're done here. Xbox Wins.

==========================================================

Any word on what kind of discs being used? Or with Digital future it wont even matter.

it sounds like sony got wind of the xbox specs and are now redoing their apu to be more powerful...i feel like this is cheating.

Not something that's really possible if everyone is launching at the same time. I'm sure everyone is roughly where they planned to be 3 or 4 years ago, whatever the TFs and price points may be.

arden=XBOX=350mm2

OBR/Oberon=PS5=300mm2

350 > 300

Any word on what kind of discs being used? Or with Digital future it wont even matter.
52 x 56 CUs. Slightly larger silicon.

arden=XBOX=350mm2

OBR/Oberon=PS5=300mm2

350 > 300

Not automatically, if MS went more CUs with lower clocks vs. Sony with less CUs and higher clocks.

I kinda hope both come out with the exact specs. If the PS5 does come with 9.2tflops I don't think the internet is ready for meltdowns that will happen.

xPikYx

Next year we are gonna see 15tf+ gpus on pc, realistically 13/14tf console is realistic

Ps4 was quite conservative, sony financial status made them play low and ended up to be 1.86tf for 399 whilst the best gpu on pc was 3+tf

Now Sony is in a far superior financial situation,they can play full potential, from recent rumours next top amd gpu will double 5700xt performance, so 13/14tf is not that incredible, but quite realistic at 599

In marketing, companies want to create the narrative for their products. That's why you have seen both Sony and MS drip feed their reveals. They are putting forward the narrative they want for their consoles and to create continual talk of their product over a long period of time. Ramping up the anticipation and desire for the console.
This leak has got ahead of Sony and created a negative narrative, and I fully expect them to bring forward their reveal to claw back control of the narrative.
They want the information to be put out at their discretion.
I can imagine the PR and Marketing people at Sony are working overtime working out how they can get back in front of it.

Ovech-King

I believe Sony at CES will speak about their PS5 RAM/SSD technology. Tommy Fisher answered "you'll know very soon" to the latest question about them not mentioning anything about this at all so far.

Very soon IMO can't be the "estimated" February full reveal , it's too far .

longdi

Banned
Xb1 is 1.3tf, 68gbs + 192gbs scratch memory
Ps4 is 1.8tf, 214gbs memory
PS4 is like 35% better launch to launch at same price.

Well if PS5 is only 9.2 vs 12. It is still not bad as long as Sony goes $100 cheaper.

Sad :(

Last edited:
I believe Sony at CES will speak about their PS5 RAM/SSD technology. Tommy Fisher answered "you'll know very soon" to the latest question about them not mentioning anything about this at all so far.

Was Tommy Fisher not banned?
If not, why have these insiders been so quiet on this latest Github leaks?
I can't make any sense of it. Perhaps the PS5 really is sitting at 9.2TF which to me would be very disappointing but i also understand that developers building games on that kind of power would look ridiculous on a 4K screen with souped up SSD's and CPU's.

xPikYx

Xb1 is 1.3tf, 68gbs + 192gbs scratch memory
Ps4 is 1.8tf, 214gbs memory
PS4 is like 35% better launch to launch at same price.

Well if PS5 is only 9.2 vs 12. It is still not bad as long as Sony goes $100 cheaper.

Sad :(
The question is why the market leader should go cheaper?

longdi

Banned
The question is why the market leader should go cheaper?
It is same price as ps4. So its not cheaper. And it comes with BC now! Good value and all.

Of course Sony could have gone more aggressively. But that is down to their leadership. It will be all down to Jim Ryan if this flops. :(

Last edited:

xPikYx

It is same price as ps4. So its not cheaper. And it comes with BC now! Good value and all.

Of course Sony could have gone more aggressively. But that is down to their leadership. It will be all down to Jim Ryan if this flops. :(
Cheaper than Microsoft, if Microsoft target price is 500$ why the maket leader should target cheaper price? They could sell better than Microsoft even at higher price if performance and content are justified

If their RAM is still GDDR6 but paired with some persistent RAM (3D Xpoint; much less chance of ReRAM but hey I'll entertain it a little bit) on a DRAM controller, that'd be a really good outcome tbqh. I've been hoping at least one of the systems go with it if not both; persistent RAM as a whole has a lot of potential and I can see it replacing most types of RAM and NAND within the next 10 years. It's very likely the future of memory.

The bigger question is which format will win out: 3D-Xpoint, ReRAM, MRAM, FRAM, NRAM...my money's personally on MRAM (for L3/L4 cache and DRAM) and ReRAM or 3D-Xpoint or some other PCM (for "L5" cache between DRAM and cold storage, if not replacing cold storage as a whole), so it'd be nice if these consoles included SOMETHING of these to show some forward-thinking.

longdi

Banned
Cheaper than Microsoft, if Microsoft target price is 500$ why the maket leader should target cheaper price? They could sell better than Microsoft even at higher price if performance and content are justified
Because Jim Ryan comes across as an old school guy, a traditionalist, a conservative non techie.

He does what is just needed based on his rich experience selling popular game console. He won Europe for SCEE for years.

Cant doubt his business acumen, just his tech choices

He is the hero Sony needs but not desires

Last edited:

xPikYx

I w
Because Jim Ryan comes across as an old school guy, a traditionalist, a conservative non techie.

He does what is just needed based on his rich experience selling popular game console. He won Europe for SCEE for years.

Cant doubt his business acumen, just his tech choices

He is the hero Sony needs but not desires
I wouldn't be that sure

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
6th or 7th jan iirc - also from r/ps5

It's unlikely to get PS5 at CES, but Barlogs first CES in the same year as a new gen drop? Might be nothing, might be something

He posted an “end transmission” satellite in a tweet a couple of weeks back, now this...

Lost In Space game confirmed!

Ovech-King

If their RAM is still GDDR6 but paired with some persistent RAM (3D Xpoint; much less chance of ReRAM but hey I'll entertain it a little bit) on a DRAM controller, that'd be a really good outcome tbqh. I've been hoping at least one of the systems go with it if not both; persistent RAM as a whole has a lot of potential and I can see it replacing most types of RAM and NAND within the next 10 years. It's very likely the future of memory.

The bigger question is which format will win out: 3D-Xpoint, ReRAM, MRAM, FRAM, NRAM...my money's personally on MRAM (for L3/L4 cache and DRAM) and ReRAM or 3D-Xpoint or some other PCM (for "L5" cache between DRAM and cold storage, if not replacing cold storage as a whole), so it'd be nice if these consoles included SOMETHING of these to show some forward-thinking.

Let just hope it does happens in a week to quench our thirst a little lol

Ovech-King

Ok let's assume this scenario, sony showing Horizon 2 with hellblade2 level of graphic in game and selling 14tf at 599$. Would you buy it? Or you would pass and buy cheaper 12tf xbox at 499$ with "in engine" hellblade2?

I would go for Sony even at 899$

500 us dollars for a 12-13 RDNA flops machine is cheap AF. 600$ is still tolerable

Last edited:
[QUOTE = "XcloudTimdog, сообщение: 256373758, участник: 756934"]
Я предполагаю, что когда мы мечтаем о 13 трифлопе исчезнувших, мы говорим о продажах 360 пс3. Какое время быть живым LOL
[/ QUOTE]
mV0cO3F.jpg
You know its bad when we are talking 2014 tweets and this is what the thread come down too. Lol

It's just funny seeing you chsnge to now lol. Back then the resolutions weren't important and now you walk around all high and mighty off rumors lol I don't get it man
Its 2020 and back then you were bashing Xbox because of resolution. The 🧂 is welcome. You can have a revisionist past all you want. You walked all high and mighty off klee and reiner rumors. Only diff is I always knew.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom