• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I had a funny feeling that Sony would feel like they had to respond after DF video. Do they have a trick up their sleeve after all?

No trick, just decades of experience schooling these other dudes. Some of the best hardware engineers on the planet second to none and a gaming division tht has just brought in more money than any other console gaming division this gen. All tht speaks for itself.

OH and my boy Cerny who I'd trust more than all these other bobble head doll talking heads who don't have the hardware experience he has. He's bringing some good stuff in ps5.

Mass Shift

Love how these execs suddenly speak the truth when they leave the company. Mike himself for years was part of that PR spin.

Of course he was. You've never represented a company or corporation before? Your message has to be in line with whatever that company's memorandum is.

You don't just get to represent yourself and go on a verbal jaunt when explaining things. Your position is basically the same as the company. If you deviate from that then you have a whole bunch of different messages conflicting with each other.

And you get fired.

This round of next gen spec talks have been horrible. Last time we got the leaks from manufactyres in 2012 summer. This time not only we dont get that but when we get a test leak half of insiders dont agree with and the other half run with it as fact.

What the fuck is going on ?lol

Lendor

Reindeer

Of course he was. You've never represented a company or corporation before? Your message has to be in line with whatever that company's memorandum is.

You don't just get to represent yourself and go on a verbal jaunt when explaining things. Your position is basically the same as the company. If you deviate from that then you have a whole bunch of different messages conflicting with each other.

And you get fired.
That much is understandable, but if you have been working at a company for years and spinning that PR then it's probably best not to talk that company down once you leave. I just think Mike probably had bad experience when he left.

Last edited:

Reindeer

Sony gave orders to PR team in response to this 9TF thing blowing up and negativity surrounding it? PS5 is more powerful than that? :unsure:
Let's hope, more powerful consoles is always a good thing. Still on that 9.2 train though until proven otherwise.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

That much is understandable, but if you have been working at a company for years and spinning that PR then it's probably best not to talk that company down once you leave. I just think Mike probably had bad experience when he left.

or he is rich enough and old enough not to care anymore.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The funny thing about those leaked AMD tests, maybe they are true.

But who says there aren't other tests for other PS5 configs which simply were not leaked?

Every company doing R&D has a many different versions of the same thing. Then they pick one.

People make it sound like that AMD test is the one and only spec test going on, where it's locked and loaded for PS5.

Last edited:

Lacix

XYd1Ll3.gif

Reindeer

It was a great exit for him.

He was ready for something different, found a better job and moved on.

Shouldn't speculate on things of which you don't know.
Maybe I shouldn't, it's just rare to see someone who was an exec at a company taking public shots at that company once they leave.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The results can't come soon enough, seriously.
Unless Sony shows something at CES a week from now, nobody is going to be getting any real PS5 info until Sony does a reveal like 2013. And those things are promoted in advance.

There's a decent chance we don't get concrete info until E3 if Sony wants to wait till the last big show before it launches in Q4.

And if it's E3, that's a good half year from now!

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Unless Sony shows something at CES a week from now, nobody is going to be getting any real PS5 info until Sony does a reveal like 2013. And those things are promoted in advance.

There's a decent chance we don't get concrete info until E3 if Sony wants to wait till the last big show before it launches in Q4.

And if it's E3, that's a good half year from now!

I think the Pro was only a week or two notice but someone correct me if I am wrong.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think the Pro was only a week or two notice but someone correct me if I am wrong.
2 months. You never know. Maybe Sony will wait to give detailed specs only a few months out like Pro.

PlayStation 4 Pro (codenamed Neo, model number CUH-7000)[41] was announced on September 7, 2016, and launched worldwide on November 10, 2016.[206][207] It is an upgraded version of the PlayStation 4 with improved hardware to enable 4K rendering and improved PlayStation VR performance, including an upgraded GPU with 4.2 teraflops of processing power and hardware support for checkerboard rendering,[208] and a higher CPU clock. As with PS4 "Slim", this model also features support for USB 3.1, Bluetooth 4.0 and 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi.[204] The PS4 Pro also includes 1 GB of DDR3 memory that is used to swap out non-gaming applications that run in the background, allowing games to utilize an additional 512 MB of the console's GDDR5 memory.[209] Although capable of streaming 4K video, the PS4 Pro does not support Ultra HD Blu-ray.[210][211][212]

Well then Mike Ybarra and Shawn Layden should be in good company. I picture them going out for a beer and chatting about their respective departures. Would like if they both wrote books on the matter (it'd have to be after they retire from industry tho so...couple more decades at earliest).

saintjules

Gold Member
RedGamingTech reports messages from "sources'" that Sony are making changes that *may* delay the PS5.

RGT are sceptical.

Yeah, there was this light rumor a little while ago that was speculating it would push back to 2021. Could you imagine the riots we'd see of that? Also imagine the headline Sony would put out stating a delay. Microsoft would have a Field day in their Blitzkrieg.

The most important detail to me at this point about Xbox Series X, because I definitely believe it's 12 teraflops RDNA2, is whether Microsoft will allow it to go beyond 300W of power draw under load. If they are, we are talking game changing performance in a console.

Which means it's going to be crazy expensive, but I'm prepared to pay for that kind of performance.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yeah, there was this light rumor a little while ago that was speculating it would push back to 2021. Could you imagine the riots we'd see of that? Also imagine the headline Sony would put out stating a delay. Microsoft would have a Field day in their Blitzkrieg.

No way this is happening. Sony been in the loop and aimed high relevant to the pricing they had in mind.

Last edited:

Reindeer

The most important detail to me at this point about Xbox Series X, because I definitely believe it's 12 teraflops RDNA2, is whether Microsoft will allow it to go beyond 300W of power draw under load. If they are, we are talking game changing performance in a console.

Which means it's going to be crazy expensive, but I'm prepared to pay for that kind of performance.
One of the leakers just yesterday said it will definitely not be RDNA2 but rather RDNA+.

MadAnon

One of the leakers just yesterday said it will definitely not be RDNA2 but rather RDNA+.
Judging by the E3 die shot (if true) and the 56CU count, the size doesn't even fit possible RDNA2, 7nm EUV. It should've been smaller than that.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Judging by the responses to that tweet, the people who comment have absolutely no idea what has been going on in the past few days.

Which isn't surprising, tbh.

Reindeer

Judging by the responses to that tweet, the people who comment have absolutely no idea what has been going on in the past few days.

Which isn't surprising, tbh.
Most of them are casuals who will buy the next PlayStation regardless. This is why I think Sony have nothing to worry about by having less power as long as the price is appealing to casual market.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Most of them are casuals who will buy the next PlayStation regardless. This is why I think Sony have nothing to worry about by having less power as long as the price is appealing to casual market.

I follow gaming and hardware closely. Because of Sony's first party games, VR and hardware features I will be buying next ps5 regardless even if by chance it turns out to be less powerful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom